Snakes Sweep Cubs at Riverview
Francis Martinez smacked a bases-loaded bases-clearing three-run double, Ramon Hernandez belted a two-run double, and Gerard Hernandez drilled a two-run single, leading the Diamondbacks to a 7-3 victory over the Cubs on Field #5, and Fernery Ozuna ripped three singles, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Pedro Marquez hammered a two-run double and a single and scored a run, Chuck Taylor singled, doubled, walked, and scored two runs, and RHSP Luis Madera and three relievers combined to toss a five-hitter with ten strikeouts, helping the D'backs drub the Cubs 11-1 on Field #5, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Jose Paniagua cracked a solo home run for the Cubs on Field #5, his third HR in seven Cactus League EXST games since being moved-down from South Bend last month. (Paniagua is hitting 304/348/696 in those seven games, and he leads the EXST Cubs in HR and is third on the team in RBI behind Isaac Paredes and Kevonte Mitchell).
The doubleheader was planned as two seven-inning games, but the game on Field #5 was called after six innings of play.
Diamondbacks hitters combined to collect 22 hits and draw eight walks during the course of the 13 innings played on the two fields.
RHP Stephen Fife (on Iowa 7-day DL since 4/15 - oblique strain) started the game for the Cubs on Field #4, working 3.1 IP (39 pitches - 74% strikes) and allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits (five singles) and no walks, with one strikeout and a 4/4 GO/AO.
Stephen Bruno (on Tennessee 7-day DL since Opening Day) played 2B for all seven innings on Field #4 and went 0-2 with two fly outs and a walk. This was Bruno's second EXST game (he played 2B for four innings on Saturday at Salt River Fields).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only).
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, P-4)
2. Robert Garcia, RF: 0-2 (BB, E-1, K)
3. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-3 (F-7, P-5, 1B, R)
4. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 2B, R, RBI)
5. Jose Paniagua, DH #1: 1-3 (HR, K, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-2 (6-3, BB, 1B, RBI)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH #2: 0-3 (K, P-6, K)
8. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, F-8, F-9)
9. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-1 (2B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Enrique de los Rios: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 40 pitches (22 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Rafael Mejia: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Rafael Mejia: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed baserunner to advance from 2nd to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, R)
2. Abraham Rodriguez, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, K)
3. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, F-8)
4. Chris Pieters, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, F-8 SF, 1-U, RBI)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-2 (K, BB, 2B)
7. Alex Bautista, LF: 0-3 (K, K, L-4)
8. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K)
9. Eric Gonzalez, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, K)
10. Jose Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-3 (K, F-9, P-5)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Stephen Fife: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 4/4 GO/AO, 39 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Manny Rondon: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 3/2 GO/AO, 64 pitches (35 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. C Eric Gonzalez: E-2 (throwing error after bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (errant throw on infield single allowed baserunner to advance from 2nd to 3rd)
3. 3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (errant throw on attempted 5-4 FC allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 2 hours 35 min ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of 25-year old 6'5 260 RHP Adam Heidenfelder from Gary (American Association) and he has been assigned to the ACL Cubs.
Hagsag 12 hours 43 min ago (view)
Does anyone know what type of injury Amaya has?
Hagsag 12 hours 46 min ago (view)
I can not believe what a good 3b he has been playing.
Wrigley Rat 18 hours 37 min ago (view)
Robert Stock was claimed off waivers by the Mets.
crunch 20 hours 37 min ago (view)
HR in the 8th. dope.
crunch 22 hours 47 min ago (view)
he's back out in the field in the top 3rd...must be okay, but he sure doesn't look confidently healthy. *shrug* off-day tomorrow...
crunch 22 hours 57 min ago (view)
p.wisdom seems to have injured his right leg/knee swinging a bat...
crunch 23 hours 19 min ago (view)
“It did not feel good to take Javy out of the game,” Ross said. “I never feel comfortable doing that at all. That's a pit in my stomach and it was in my stomach the entire game.”
“I blame it on myself. I lost the count of the outs,” Báez said. “We talked about it. We're on the same page. I'll be there tomorrow to help the team.”
First.Pitch.120 1 day 56 min ago (view)
The thing that gets me is that she cheated with the guy providing religous-based pre-marital counseling. Hmmm... this guy is abusing his (quasi-)professional couseling position to pursue an intimate relationship; forgot the parts of the Bible about lying, cheating, & doing dirty by the 2016 WS MVP; and clearly has very conflicted feelings on the marriage construct... yep, I'm blowing up multiple people's lives to ride-or-die with THAT guy.
Hagsag 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
I am with my hero Zo.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
whole zobrist thing got fleshed out (no pun) in public now...
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed C Harrison Wenson (ex-LAA) to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to Hi-A South Bend. Wenson spent five seasons in the Angels organization, and he got an NRI to MLB Spring Training as an extra catcher with the Halos this past spring.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
69 (nice) pitches...goes 4.2ip and leaves with a man on 1st
4.2ip 3h 1bb 5k, 3r/er (2hr)
alzolay continues to have the HR screw him over. 12 given up in 62.1ip
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
d.ross pulls baez for alcantara for what was either a mental mistake forgetting the outs or totally not hustling by baez in the bottom 4th running the bases.
cubs are down by 1.
hell of manager power play. hope this plays out well...expect it will.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
nico expected back in early july...duffy had a "setback" and is in limbo...bote has started baseball activities, but nowhere near a return time.
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
haha. ump checked alzolay's hat and glove between innings and declared it all clear.
stuff so nasty they wanna make sure you're not on that "sticky fingers" bandwagon.