Cubs & Giants Play Even Par at Indian School Park
Jeffrey Baez led-off the game with a home run and then laced an RBI single and stole a base in his next AB, Jesse Hodges belted an RBI triple and scored a run, Gleyber Torres singled twice, knocked-in two runs, and scored another, and Tyler Ihrig fired four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and combined with three relievers to help the Cubs whitewash the Giants 6-0 on Field #2, and Craig Massoni drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a sacrifice fly and Carlos Valdez hammered a solo home run, leading the Giants to a 6-1 victory on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Slick-fielding AA Tennessee shortstop Elliot Soto (at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and stole a base in a losing cause on Field #1.
OF Casper Wells (on AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL - back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, playing RF for six innings and getting three Plate Appearances (he was in the clean-up slot in the batting order on Field #2 and he batted only when his spot in the order was due to hit). Wells walked twice and grounded out 6-3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-5 (HR, 1B, 6-3, 6-3, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-5 (F-7, K, F-7, 1B, P-3)
3. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-5 (3B, F-7, K, 6-3, F-7, R)
4a. Casper Wells, RF: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB)
4b. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
5a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-3, R)
5b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, E-4, K, R, SB, CS)
7. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 5-2 FC, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (3B, 6-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-4 (E-5, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Ihrig: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 53 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-5 (P-6, 1B, E-6, K, K, SB, PO)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, P-2, 3-U)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (L-7, 2-3, 3-1, P-6)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-4 (L-6, K, F-7, F-9)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-1, E-4, R)
7. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-3 (1B, BB, 1B, 1B, SB)
8. Dalfis Ortiz, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8 SF, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2-U, 1B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 4/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/6 GO/FO, 53 pitches (33 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Adbert Alzolay - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base alllowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Albert Mineo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Charlie 3 hours 46 min ago (view)
Lol at Nico getting nominated for riding the bench a lot.
crunch 5 hours 45 min ago (view)
RF Jason Heyward, SS Javier Baez, 2B Nico Hoerner, 1B Anthony Rizzo, C Willson Contreras, and Ps Kyle Hendricks and Alec Mills gold glove finalists
bradsbeard 9 hours 40 min ago (view)
Thank you, sir! Sounds like a nice get for the Cubs, and a good project for (what's left of) the new development infrastructure.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 29 min ago (view)
There have been some holes in the AZIL east-side schedule, with one team canceling games last week (although they are back playing this week) and another canceling game this week due to CoViD-19 issue, so the other teams (like the Cubs) are making up some of the "lost" games with intrasquad and in-house "sim" games.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 24 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: From what I have seen of Jacob Wetzel so far (BP, fielding practice, base-running drills, sim games, AZIL games, and yesterday's intasquad game), I would say he looks like a football running back playing baseball in that he has a high motor and plays with a bit of an edge.
He has a thick body but he also has plus speed (very much like a football running back in that respect), he runs the bases aggressively, makes hard contact, has HR power, a decent arm, maybe can use some work in the outfield as far as tracking balls.
bradsbeard 1 day 46 min ago (view)
Phil, curious if you've seen enough of Jacob Wetzel to offer an initial scouting report. Just from watching some prep video he looked pretty strong and fairly athletic (HS football player and all). Impressive numbers albeit in community college, but he was a division 1 recruit before that so he's pretty intriguing to me.
KingKongvsGodzilla 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
AZPhil, thank you for these updates! It's a nice little pick me up during this dumb year. If you have anything to say on Yohendrick Pinango, Joel Machado, Rafael Morel, or Richard Gallardo, I would love to hear it! Thanks again!
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
jim hickey new nats pitching coach.
bradsbeard 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 4 days 6 hours ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).
bradsbeard 4 days 7 hours ago (view)
Me too. Thought it was weird he wasn't in South Bend at all.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
I am very, very intrigued by Rivas. If the DH is unfortunately here to stay, he's a prime candidate for that and give Rizzo a day off 1B here and there. If no DH, hopefully he is a passable OF. Big believer in his hitting ability
Hagsag 4 days 15 hours ago (view)
Phil, do you think Chris Morel is the real deal?
tim815 5 days 5 hours ago (view)
Blue and Red DSL instructs rosters. No Brayan Altuve.
crunch 5 days 7 hours ago (view)
yup, they're gonna try. starts in about a month.