Cubs Overcome One-Hitter to Gain Split with Giants
Mikey Edie (two RBI singles), Beicker Mendoza (RBI double), Zack Bowers (RBI double), and Julio Pena (go-ahead two-run single) contributed run-scoring hits to help the Giants rally and defeat the Cubs 7-5 on Field #1, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo home run with two outs in the top of the 6th to tie the game (and break-up a no-hitter), and what proved to be the winning run scored in the top of the 7th without the benefit of a hit (lead-off walk, WP, GO, and an E-6), as the Cubs (held to just the one hit) edged the Giants 2-1 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called by mutual consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Stephen Bruno (RBI single), Chris Pieters (two-run triple), and Abraham Rodriguez (RBI single) collected run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run third inning for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1, and RHSP Melvin Adon hurled four innings of no-run/no-hit ball for the Giants in their loss on Field #2.
RHRP Aaron Crow (April 2015 TJS) was shut-down after waming up (unknown if related to the TJS rehab).
Cubs Latin American Field Coordinator Dave Keller and Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Jim Brower are in town this week, and both were at today's EXST games in Scottsdale. Keller is helping to decide which of the Cubs Latin American players at EXST will stay in Arizona and play in the AZL and which will be sent to the DSL (the DSL begins play in three weeks), and Brower is evaluating the Cubs pitchers at EXST to determine which ones are candidates to be moved up to a full-season affiliate, which ones will be assigned to Eugene, which ones will remain in Arizona and play in the AZL, and which will be sent to the DSL.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Jeremy Null has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach. Null was left behind at Extended Spring Training because he was slowed a bit with arm fatigue during Minor League Camp and could not get stretched-out in time for the start of the Carolina League regular season, but he got his pitch count up to 75 in an EXST intrasquad game in Mesa last week and so he is ready to roll.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only), followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-2 (HBP, 3-1, 3-U, CS)
2. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 1-3, E-6)
3. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-2 (BB, L-5, 4-3)
4. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, F-9)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, HR, K, R, RBI)
6. Jonathan Sierra, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-6)
7. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
8. Michael Foster, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
9. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, L-7)
10. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
11. Roberto Caro, DH #3: 0-2 (K, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 43 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: INJURY WHILE WARMING UP - DID NOT PITCH TO A BATTER
3. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Pedro Araujo: E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Isaac Paredes: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (F-9, HBP, 1B, BB, R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3 DP, K, R)
3. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, BB, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
6. Jhonny Bethencourt, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, F-8, 1B)
7. Tyler Payne, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC)
8. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-4 FC, F-8, R, 2 SB)
9. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 1-3 (P-5, E-5, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 5 pitches (4 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jhonny Bethencourt: E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Abraham Rodriguez - batter thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-2 attempting to score (standing up) from 3rd base on a single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER:
21 LIMITED ACTIVITY & PITCHERS REHAB GROUP
* Jeffry Antigua (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Frank Batista (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 knee surgery)
Dallas Beeler (REHAB GROUP - right shoulder inflammation)
Jordan Brink (REHAB GROUP - post-2015 right shoulder surgery)
Cole Brocker (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Brooks (REHAB GROUP - hip contusion)
Jesus Camargo (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Crow (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Oscar de la Cruz (REHAB GROUP - elbow)
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF)
Stephen Fife (ACTIVE REHAB)
P. J. Francescon (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Francisco Garay (ex-INF)
* Yapson Gomez
Tanner Griggs (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Luis Hernandez (REHAB GROUP - ???)
* Bryan Hudson
John Michael Knighton
* Jack Leathersich (REHAB GROUP - July 2015 TJS)
Gabriel Lima (REHAB GROUP - ???)
M. T. Minacci
* Pablo Ochoa
* Eugenio Palma
* Manny Parra (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 TJS)
* Jose Paulino
* Tyler Peitzmeier
* Manny Rondon
Zac Rosscup (REHAB GROUP - left shoulder inflammation)
Jose Zapata (INACTIVE - player coach)
* Alberto Mineo
Will Remillard (LIMITED ACTIVITY - April 2016 TJS #2)
* Aramis Ademan (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Stephen Bruno (ACTIVE REHAB)
* Vimael Machin
Joey Martarano (INACTIVE - attending college at Boise State)
* Christopher Morel (LIMITED ACTIVITY - arm lacertaion)
# Yeiler Peguero
# Yonathan Perlaza
* Chris Pieters
# Edgar Rondon
Ho-Young Son (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Christian Villanueva (LIMITED ACTIVITY - fractured fibula)
* Luis Ayala
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Kwang-Min Kwon
* Ricardo Marcano
Yohan Matos (ex-C)
* Ruben Reyes
* Abraham Rodriguez
* Jonathan Sierra
* D. J. Wilson
Jesus Feliciano (Assistant Manager)
Armando Gabino (Assistant Pitching Coach)
Jeremy Farrell (Assistant Hitting Coach)
Brian Lawrence (Pitching Coach)
Jonathan Mota (Assistant Coach - Infield Instructor)
Lance Rymel (Rehab Assistant Coach - Catching Instructor)
Ron Villone (Rehab Pitching Coach)
Jose Zapata (Assistant Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (Hitting Coach - Outfield Instructor)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
REHAB TRAINING COORDINATOR
Cubster 20 hours 49 min ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.
Cubster 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
On the bright side regarding Kimbrel. It doesn't have the lasting bad side as the Mets arrangement with Bobby Bonilla. Unless they want to re-negotiate Kimbrel's terms.
Eric S 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Watching the last night's highlight clip was not encouraging either as discussed here: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/08/craig-kimbrels-intrasquad-performance-is-a-reminder-of-the-concerns-that-already-existed/
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
i still can't believe this front office paid anyone 16m a year to throw 60-70ip...
Eric S 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "
crunch 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
anthony rizzo is in mid-season form.
he sat out today with lower back tightness.
BobbyD 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
Well, back in February (I think; that was about 17 years ago now), our diaper staining commander in his own mind declared we had 15 cases in the U.S. and that would quickly go to zero. 130k dead and rapidly rising now 4 months later I still have brain dead neighbors in SoCal saying if Biden gets elected we're screwed. I wonder what they think screwed looks like.