Cubs Overcome One-Hitter to Gain Split with Giants
Mikey Edie (two RBI singles), Beicker Mendoza (RBI double), Zack Bowers (RBI double), and Julio Pena (go-ahead two-run single) contributed run-scoring hits to help the Giants rally and defeat the Cubs 7-5 on Field #1, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo home run with two outs in the top of the 6th to tie the game (and break-up a no-hitter), and what proved to be the winning run scored in the top of the 7th without the benefit of a hit (lead-off walk, WP, GO, and an E-6), as the Cubs (held to just the one hit) edged the Giants 2-1 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called by mutual consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Stephen Bruno (RBI single), Chris Pieters (two-run triple), and Abraham Rodriguez (RBI single) collected run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run third inning for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1, and RHSP Melvin Adon hurled four innings of no-run/no-hit ball for the Giants in their loss on Field #2.
RHRP Aaron Crow (April 2015 TJS) was shut-down after waming up (unknown if related to the TJS rehab).
Cubs Latin American Field Coordinator Dave Keller and Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Jim Brower are in town this week, and both were at today's EXST games in Scottsdale. Keller is helping to decide which of the Cubs Latin American players at EXST will stay in Arizona and play in the AZL and which will be sent to the DSL (the DSL begins play in three weeks), and Brower is evaluating the Cubs pitchers at EXST to determine which ones are candidates to be moved up to a full-season affiliate, which ones will be assigned to Eugene, which ones will remain in Arizona and play in the AZL, and which will be sent to the DSL.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Jeremy Null has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach. Null was left behind at Extended Spring Training because he was slowed a bit with arm fatigue during Minor League Camp and could not get stretched-out in time for the start of the Carolina League regular season, but he got his pitch count up to 75 in an EXST intrasquad game in Mesa last week and so he is ready to roll.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only), followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-2 (HBP, 3-1, 3-U, CS)
2. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 1-3, E-6)
3. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-2 (BB, L-5, 4-3)
4. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, F-9)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, HR, K, R, RBI)
6. Jonathan Sierra, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-6)
7. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
8. Michael Foster, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
9. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, L-7)
10. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
11. Roberto Caro, DH #3: 0-2 (K, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 43 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: INJURY WHILE WARMING UP - DID NOT PITCH TO A BATTER
3. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Pedro Araujo: E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Isaac Paredes: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (F-9, HBP, 1B, BB, R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3 DP, K, R)
3. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, BB, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
6. Jhonny Bethencourt, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, F-8, 1B)
7. Tyler Payne, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC)
8. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-4 FC, F-8, R, 2 SB)
9. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 1-3 (P-5, E-5, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 5 pitches (4 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jhonny Bethencourt: E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Abraham Rodriguez - batter thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-2 attempting to score (standing up) from 3rd base on a single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER:
21 LIMITED ACTIVITY & PITCHERS REHAB GROUP
* Jeffry Antigua (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Frank Batista (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 knee surgery)
Dallas Beeler (REHAB GROUP - right shoulder inflammation)
Jordan Brink (REHAB GROUP - post-2015 right shoulder surgery)
Cole Brocker (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Brooks (REHAB GROUP - hip contusion)
Jesus Camargo (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Crow (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Oscar de la Cruz (REHAB GROUP - elbow)
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF)
Stephen Fife (ACTIVE REHAB)
P. J. Francescon (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Francisco Garay (ex-INF)
* Yapson Gomez
Tanner Griggs (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Luis Hernandez (REHAB GROUP - ???)
* Bryan Hudson
John Michael Knighton
* Jack Leathersich (REHAB GROUP - July 2015 TJS)
Gabriel Lima (REHAB GROUP - ???)
M. T. Minacci
* Pablo Ochoa
* Eugenio Palma
* Manny Parra (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 TJS)
* Jose Paulino
* Tyler Peitzmeier
* Manny Rondon
Zac Rosscup (REHAB GROUP - left shoulder inflammation)
Jose Zapata (INACTIVE - player coach)
* Alberto Mineo
Will Remillard (LIMITED ACTIVITY - April 2016 TJS #2)
* Aramis Ademan (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Stephen Bruno (ACTIVE REHAB)
* Vimael Machin
Joey Martarano (INACTIVE - attending college at Boise State)
* Christopher Morel (LIMITED ACTIVITY - arm lacertaion)
# Yeiler Peguero
# Yonathan Perlaza
* Chris Pieters
# Edgar Rondon
Ho-Young Son (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Christian Villanueva (LIMITED ACTIVITY - fractured fibula)
* Luis Ayala
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Kwang-Min Kwon
* Ricardo Marcano
Yohan Matos (ex-C)
* Ruben Reyes
* Abraham Rodriguez
* Jonathan Sierra
* D. J. Wilson
Jesus Feliciano (Assistant Manager)
Armando Gabino (Assistant Pitching Coach)
Jeremy Farrell (Assistant Hitting Coach)
Brian Lawrence (Pitching Coach)
Jonathan Mota (Assistant Coach - Infield Instructor)
Lance Rymel (Rehab Assistant Coach - Catching Instructor)
Ron Villone (Rehab Pitching Coach)
Jose Zapata (Assistant Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (Hitting Coach - Outfield Instructor)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
REHAB TRAINING COORDINATOR
Hagsag 2 hours 17 min ago (view)
Explain how Lobaton is on this team?
Jackstraw 11 hours 40 min ago (view)
The Cubs have looked pretty April for the last week.
George Altman 13 hours 9 min ago (view)
I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of Arrieta and Davies to last me the rest of the summer.
crunch 15 hours 45 min ago (view)
e.sogard pitching...the highlight of the last 2 games, easy...
3 popouts...threw mid/high 60s batting practice lobs with some sink
he's scoreless through 2ip in his career. david ross career pitching comps...
crunch 16 hours 42 min ago (view)
same...only it's coffee...which isn't helping. yesterday's trash game got a sequel.
crunch 16 hours 44 min ago (view)
yeah...we can go ahead and send cory abbott back down...
crunch 16 hours 55 min ago (view)
hopefully the cubs can work out an extension for jason heyward to keep him around til then.
Hagsag 16 hours 55 min ago (view)
This game is making me drink a lot.
Dolorous Jon Lester 17 hours 7 min ago (view)
Just wait til the 2030 season, those kids will be entering their prime then. Look out NL Central!
crunch 18 hours 11 min ago (view)
im starting to think spending 12.6m of payroll on davies/arrietta while trading darvish away for davies and a slew of kids that dont even make the cubs top 10 prospect list wasn't a good idea.
oh yeah, cubs gave SD money in that deal, too...that's even better.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHP Justin Shafer (ex-MIA) from Kansas City (American Association) and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
he -really- needs to cue into this is a cubs broadcast and not a national/neutral broadcast.
dude...don't get excited about marlins 3-run homers.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
lot of people wanted him when len left. he's got a long game calling history, but not too much for baseball. he did host "baseball tonight" for ESPN for a quite a while, so the game isn't a mystery to him.
i find him a bit boring/dry. some people like that he has that oldschool "announcer voice" thing going on.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
He's uhhh.. not very good at it. Glad he wasn't the hire for the main role.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
wow...chris myers calling the cubs game for some reason (boog out for the MIA series).
he is a marquee talent, but he's not been used to call a game as far as i know.
also, zach davies looks like a kid in pajamas in those dark blue "wrigleyville" uniforms.
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
t.williams threw a 25 pitch pen thursday