Cubs Overcome One-Hitter to Gain Split with Giants
Mikey Edie (two RBI singles), Beicker Mendoza (RBI double), Zack Bowers (RBI double), and Julio Pena (go-ahead two-run single) contributed run-scoring hits to help the Giants rally and defeat the Cubs 7-5 on Field #1, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo home run with two outs in the top of the 6th to tie the game (and break-up a no-hitter), and what proved to be the winning run scored in the top of the 7th without the benefit of a hit (lead-off walk, WP, GO, and an E-6), as the Cubs (held to just the one hit) edged the Giants 2-1 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called by mutual consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Stephen Bruno (RBI single), Chris Pieters (two-run triple), and Abraham Rodriguez (RBI single) collected run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run third inning for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1, and RHSP Melvin Adon hurled four innings of no-run/no-hit ball for the Giants in their loss on Field #2.
RHRP Aaron Crow (April 2015 TJS) was shut-down after waming up (unknown if related to the TJS rehab).
Cubs Latin American Field Coordinator Dave Keller and Cubs Minor League Pitching Coordinator Jim Brower are in town this week, and both were at today's EXST games in Scottsdale. Keller is helping to decide which of the Cubs Latin American players at EXST will stay in Arizona and play in the AZL and which will be sent to the DSL (the DSL begins play in three weeks), and Brower is evaluating the Cubs pitchers at EXST to determine which ones are candidates to be moved up to a full-season affiliate, which ones will be assigned to Eugene, which ones will remain in Arizona and play in the AZL, and which will be sent to the DSL.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Jeremy Null has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach. Null was left behind at Extended Spring Training because he was slowed a bit with arm fatigue during Minor League Camp and could not get stretched-out in time for the start of the Carolina League regular season, but he got his pitch count up to 75 in an EXST intrasquad game in Mesa last week and so he is ready to roll.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only), followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-2 (HBP, 3-1, 3-U, CS)
2. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 1-3, E-6)
3. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-2 (BB, L-5, 4-3)
4. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, F-9)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, HR, K, R, RBI)
6. Jonathan Sierra, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, K, P-6)
7. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
8. Michael Foster, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
9. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, L-7)
10. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
11. Roberto Caro, DH #3: 0-2 (K, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 43 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: INJURY WHILE WARMING UP - DID NOT PITCH TO A BATTER
3. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Pedro Araujo: E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Isaac Paredes: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (F-9, HBP, 1B, BB, R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3 DP, K, R)
3. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, BB, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 1-2 (4-3, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
6. Jhonny Bethencourt, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, F-8, 1B)
7. Tyler Payne, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC)
8. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-4 FC, F-8, R, 2 SB)
9. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 1-3 (P-5, E-5, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 5 pitches (4 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jhonny Bethencourt: E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Abraham Rodriguez - batter thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-2 attempting to score (standing up) from 3rd base on a single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER:
21 LIMITED ACTIVITY & PITCHERS REHAB GROUP
* Jeffry Antigua (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Frank Batista (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 knee surgery)
Dallas Beeler (REHAB GROUP - right shoulder inflammation)
Jordan Brink (REHAB GROUP - post-2015 right shoulder surgery)
Cole Brocker (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Brooks (REHAB GROUP - hip contusion)
Jesus Camargo (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Aaron Crow (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Oscar de la Cruz (REHAB GROUP - elbow)
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz (REHAB GROUP - ???)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF)
Stephen Fife (ACTIVE REHAB)
P. J. Francescon (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Francisco Garay (ex-INF)
* Yapson Gomez
Tanner Griggs (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Luis Hernandez (REHAB GROUP - ???)
* Bryan Hudson
John Michael Knighton
* Jack Leathersich (REHAB GROUP - July 2015 TJS)
Gabriel Lima (REHAB GROUP - ???)
M. T. Minacci
* Pablo Ochoa
* Eugenio Palma
* Manny Parra (REHAB GROUP - April 2016 TJS)
* Jose Paulino
* Tyler Peitzmeier
* Manny Rondon
Zac Rosscup (REHAB GROUP - left shoulder inflammation)
Jose Zapata (INACTIVE - player coach)
* Alberto Mineo
Will Remillard (LIMITED ACTIVITY - April 2016 TJS #2)
* Aramis Ademan (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Stephen Bruno (ACTIVE REHAB)
* Vimael Machin
Joey Martarano (INACTIVE - attending college at Boise State)
* Christopher Morel (LIMITED ACTIVITY - arm lacertaion)
# Yeiler Peguero
# Yonathan Perlaza
* Chris Pieters
# Edgar Rondon
Ho-Young Son (LIMTED ACTIVITY - ???)
Christian Villanueva (LIMITED ACTIVITY - fractured fibula)
* Luis Ayala
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Kwang-Min Kwon
* Ricardo Marcano
Yohan Matos (ex-C)
* Ruben Reyes
* Abraham Rodriguez
* Jonathan Sierra
* D. J. Wilson
Jesus Feliciano (Assistant Manager)
Armando Gabino (Assistant Pitching Coach)
Jeremy Farrell (Assistant Hitting Coach)
Brian Lawrence (Pitching Coach)
Jonathan Mota (Assistant Coach - Infield Instructor)
Lance Rymel (Rehab Assistant Coach - Catching Instructor)
Ron Villone (Rehab Pitching Coach)
Jose Zapata (Assistant Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (Hitting Coach - Outfield Instructor)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
REHAB TRAINING COORDINATOR
Hagsag 1 hour 7 min ago (view)
Hoping that Rizzo's back won't be a problem.
crunch 4 hours 20 min ago (view)
arizona summer league from the distant east coast point of view is an interesting baseball sideshow for the most part, but that AZL 1 vs 2 game sounds awesome. the players and coaches have to be stoked for that one.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 25 min ago (view)
18-year old SS Luis Verdugo last ten games for AZL Cubs #2 (45 PA): 429/467/881 with four doubles, five HR, and 18 RBI, including three three-hit games and one four-hit game among the ten games.
As I mentioned at the start of the AZL season in June, Verdugo is the Cubs top prospect in the AZL (see my comment in this thread from June 15th).
Arizona Phil 6 hours 26 min ago (view)
Both AZL Cubs #2 and AZL Athletics Gold win (big) in their games Saturday night and Dodgers Mota clinches one of the two remaining playoff slots with a win while Royals and Padres #1 lose.
So it's AZL Cubs #1 vs AZL Cubs #2 at Sloan Park Sunday afternoon (with game-time temperatures 110+), with Benjamin Rodriguez scheduled to pitch for Cubs #1 and Carlos Ocampo scheduled to start for Cubs #2. (Richard Gallardo and Benjamin Rodriguez are the Cubs top two pitching prospects in the AZL, so Cubs #2 will have their hands full).
crunch 7 hours 37 min ago (view)
oscar de la cruz since passing through waivers unclaimed...8 relief appearances
11.2ip 11h 2bb 16k, 2r/er (both earned runs in 1 appearance)
crunch 12 hours 41 min ago (view)
it's kinda crazy to think there's a chance pedro strop won't make the post season roster (yeah, the cubs have to get there first) unless he shows something different the next 5 weeks. it's been hard to watch.
crunch 16 hours 21 min ago (view)
yeah, and evidently they can't pitch either.
now we need a few stupid baserunning mistakes to go with this new look.
crunch 16 hours 30 min ago (view)
cubs can't field or hit anymore.
this is not a good late-season look.
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 59 min ago (view)
What happened to Danny Hultzen this time??
crunch 17 hours 1 sec ago (view)
Jackstraw 17 hours 10 min ago (view)
All whites are distinctive. And ugly.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 55 min ago (view)
There should be a number of good players and pitchers available off Outright Assignment Waivers over the next few days as non-contending clubs look to jettison payroll even if they can't get players back. The only problem is that the claiming club assumes 100% of the player's remaining pro-rated salary (albeit only one month's worth, unless the player is signed beyond 2019 and/or has a post-season buy-out).
Arizona Phil 18 hours 39 min ago (view)
BTW, Danny Zardon (signed by the Cubs out of Independent ball during Minor League Camp in March and converted from 3B to catcher at EXST) is now being converted to RHP in the AZL.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 39 min ago (view)
The AZL regular season concludes on Monday and the playoffs start on Tuesday and although AZL Cubs #1 has been eliminated, AZL Cubs #2 is right in the middle of the race to get one of the last two playoff slots.
Arizona Phil 20 hours 14 min ago (view)
Today is the last day of the DSL regular season. Neither DSL Cubs #1 nor DSL Cubs #2 qualified for the DSL playoffs.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
RHP Kelvin Abreu (April 2019 IFA - Venezuela) had his contract voided and he has been released. He spent his entire pro career (four months) on the Restricted List.