Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 57 min 15 sec ago (view)
Credit to Mills bouncing back strong - fifth straight quality start by the rotation certainly helps things. Yu for the series win tomorrow
crunch 1 hour 1 min ago (view)
schwarber in the bottom 10th! walkoff homer.
Jackstraw 1 hour 12 min ago (view)
Throws strikes like Chatwood. Holds runners like Darvish.
Eric S 1 hour 20 min ago (view)
This smells like a Chatwood game.
Eric S 1 hour 22 min ago (view)
Almora - what a tool non-play there.
crunch 1 hour 36 min ago (view)
phew...kimbrel is fresh off taking a half season away from the game, but im ready for a bit less drama out of his appearances.
crunch 1 hour 40 min ago (view)
lorenzen is low-key one of the most exciting players in the game, seriously. he's fun on the mound, at the plate, and baserunning.
Eric S 1 hour 44 min ago (view)
Well that settles it: Lorenzen is a better base runner than Brach. Brach haint got nuttin’
crunch 1 hour 44 min ago (view)
rizzo's power outage has been a little alarming. it seems to be bad luck more than anything obvious, though.
Eric S 1 hour 52 min ago (view)
Near warning track power Rizzo not nearly as fun as home run derby Rizzo
Eric S 2 hours 4 min ago (view)
More rare sighting in last few weeks: a Descalso plate appearance or a Rizzo home run? Descalso PA wins by an eyelash
Descalso actually had one his better at bats (even though he should have been rung up on a missed strike three) — a line drive one hopper to the shortstop
crunch 2 hours 27 min ago (view)
they're celebrating the 69 cubs at the park tonight.
they had a bunch of vets (led by billy williams) do the 7th along with a video edited together of ernie banks + ron santo singing the 7th so they could all sing along. great touch.
crunch 2 hours 52 min ago (view)
montgomery is going to be used as a SP for KC. good for him.
also, a.mills has calmed down into a hell of a nice welcome back start. he's back on my xmas card list.
crunch 4 hours 8 min ago (view)
31 pitches, 3 HBP by mills...and only 3 runs given up in 1.2ip so far!
crunch 4 hours 25 min ago (view)
okay, im done with alec mills.
crunch 4 hours 32 min ago (view)
almora picks up a career highlight reel catch in CF.
even heyward was pumped.