LaStella Shows Desire to Play at Riverview Park
Jenner Emeterio doubled twice, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Tyler Alamo belted a solo home run, leading the Cubs to a 5-2 victory over the Rockies on Field #5, and Luis Castro reached base three times (a single, a double, and an HBP), stole a base, and scored three runs, as the Rockies rallied for three runs in the 8th and two in the 9th to edge the Cubs 8-7 on Field #6, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Terry McClure belted a solo HR in the Rockies loss on Field #5, and Roberto Caro smacked an RBI double, singled twice, stole a base, and scored two runs in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #6.
Tommy LaStella (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - rib cage inflammation) returned to the field for the first time in almost five weeks and saw action in the game on Field #6, playing 3rd base for four innings and then 2nd base for two innings. He batted four times (once in each of the first four innings) and had quite a day, driving-in three runs with two doubles, an RBI single, and a sacrifice fly, while also scoring two runs, helping the Cubs take a 7-1 lead through three innings.
19-year old RHP Dylan Cease (2014 TJS) made his first Cactus League EXST game appearance after pitching in several "sim" games over the past month, throwing 16 pitches in the top of the 1st inning in the game on Field #5. He retired two (a 1-3 comebacker and a strikeout looking) and hit one batter before being relieved (he was under a strict pitch count).
Cease was the Cubs 6th round draft pick out of Milton HS - Milton, Ga in 2014, and the Cubs selected him despite knowing that he would need a UCL elbow ligament transplant ("Tommy John surgery"). Considered one of the top high school arms in the 2014 draft class and a likely 1st round pick prior to his elbow issues, he received a $1.5M signing bonus (equivalent to "first round money") and then had the TJS last July 22nd. He has made a rapid recovery, and barring a setback, he will likely be a rotation starter for the AZL Cubs when the Arizona League season begins play next month.
RHRP Daniel Bard and LHRP Daniel Schlereth each threw an inning in the game on Field #6. Schlereth had an easy eleven-pitch inning (K, 6-3, 1B, 6-4 FC), but Bard allowed two runs on two hits, an HBP, and a WP, plus a two-base throwing error on an attempted pick-off in his inning (20 pitches - only 10 strikes). Bard is now throwing mostly side-arm, and his one-time upper 90's velocity now sits at 91-92, occasionally touching 93.
Speaking of throwing sidearm, RHRP Corbin Hoffner has gone to an extreme sidearm delivery (it's almost "submarine"), and while he has struggled to command his pitches in games with his new delivery, he had a 1-2-3 9th in the game on Field #5, picking up the save with two strikeouts and an F-7.
Prior to the Cactus League doubleheader, Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery), and Anthony Carter (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL) pitched in a three-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Moreno and Masek threw two innings each, and Carter threw one.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two Cactus League EXST games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, RBI, CS)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (P-3, 5-3, 3-U)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-3 (1B, L-9, 5-3)
4. Roney Alcala, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-U, 6-3)
5. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, HR, 3-U, R, RBI)
6. Yohan Matos, C: 0-3 (5-4 FC, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-2 (4-3 DP, 1B, BB, R)
8. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 2-3 (2B, 2B, 4-3, 2 R, RBI)
9. Danny Gutierrez, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-7 SF, K, R, RBI)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2: 0-1 (F-9 SF, 3-1, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/0 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
2. Austyn Willis: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 4/2 GO/FO, 46 pitches (28 strikes)
3. Greyfer Eregua: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Frandy de la Rosa; E-4 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Danny Gutierrez: E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to take 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Tommy LaStella, 3B-2B: 3-3 (2B, F-8 SF, 1B, 2B, R, 3 RBI)
NOTE: LaStella batted third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Robert Garcia, LF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, 4-3, R)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8, 2 RBI)
4. Bryant Flete, 2B-3B: 0-2 (L-3, F-8, BB)
5. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-3 (2B, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, R)
6. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, F-8, 1B)
7. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 6-3)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-9 DP, R, SB)
9. Carlos Jimenez, DH-2B: 1-2 (3B, P-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Adbert Alzolay: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/FO, 47 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Daniel Schlereth: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Dillon Maples: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (12 strikes)
5. John Michael Knighton: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. P Daniel Bard E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Dillon Maples: E-1 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 1B Jose Paniagua E-3 (dropped pop infield fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Pearson: 0-5 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
ATTENDANCE : 6
Charlie 3 hours 27 min ago (view)
Honestly, Urias guessed wrong on that one. But he stilled managed to make contact despite being way out in front, so that breaker must have rolled.
Charlie 3 hours 29 min ago (view)
KB having a perfectly adequate KB stretch and it's a highlight. Sigh.
Chafin may be reconsidering that jalopie after being the man on the mound when the wheels fell off in this one.
crunch 4 hours 28 min ago (view)
i know we're only 10 games in and you can't get good numbers on that, but this is a full-team hitting slump aside from marisnick and his 12 PA.
no one on this team is this bad, but all of them doing it at once is crazy. bad ABs, tons of swings and misses, crap contact...
upon reflection (and another hit in the 9th) i need to give props to k.bryant...he's a 1-man show right now for the regulars.
Eric S 5 hours 15 min ago (view)
I can pause it for pinch hitting - otherwise I'm locked in as there's nothing else to see here
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 20 min ago (view)
Me too, Eric Sogard
Eric S 5 hours 26 min ago (view)
Well, Chafin ... not your night I guess ... looks like its time to catch up on the latest installment of Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 29 min ago (view)
It's kinda starting to feel like this team sucks? But yes this game definitely sucks.
crunch 5 hours 32 min ago (view)
justin steele warming...seems like his debut is on tap.
also, this game sucks.
Eric S 5 hours 34 min ago (view)
Luis Urias is not impressed 😩
crunch 8 hours 11 min ago (view)
steele, wieck, and strop called up.
btw, strop is a "replacement player" in this move and isn't subject to 40-man roster waiver rules
crunch 8 hours 38 min ago (view)
cubs covid...chris young tested positive. j.adam, d.winkler, and b.workman are now on the "injured list"
Charlie 9 hours 3 min ago (view)
Sorry that I couldn't access things for opening day and then got busy for the next couple series. Glad to have a baseball routine to share with you all again!
Sonicwind75 9 hours 34 min ago (view)
Guessing I'm a little late to the game on this; but just read Chafin's twitter about wanting to buy a cheap car to drive around Chicago. He seems like a good dude.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
RHSP Duncan Robinson (June 2019 TJS) has retired.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Rex Brothers and Tony Wolters reached five years of MLB Service Time this weekend, so Brothers now cannot be sent outright to the minors without his consent (he is out of minor league options) and Wolters (who has a minor league option left) now cannot be optioned or outrighted to the minors without his consent.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
It's not good to play bad teams early because they have the confidence and energy they won't have later in the season after they realize they suck and all is lost.