Cubs Bats Batter and Cubs "D" Smothers A's at Riverview Park

Jose Paniagua (RBI triple off the top of the CF Batter's Eye - near HR), Wladimir Galindo (RBI double off the CF Batter's Eye), Alberto Mineo (RBI double into the right-centerfield alley), and Gustavo Polanco (two-run single through the box and into CF) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a six-run 1st inning, and Galindo (RBI double off the RF fence) and Polanco (another two-run single into CF) tallied three more runs in the bottom of the 3rd, as the Cubs scored early and often and cruised to a 13-6 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action Wednesday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

Galindo also singled and scored in the 5th, going 3-3 in the game with two RBI and three runs scored, while Yeiler Peguero tripled and scored and singled to aid the Cub cause.

The defensive Play of the Game (and of the EXST Cubs season, so far) was turned-in by Cubs CF D. J. Wilson...

It was the top of the 4th, no outs, with the Cubs leading 9-2. The A's loaded the bases on an E-5 and two walks against RHP Javier Assad (2015 IFA - Mexico). and then Eric Marinez ripped a 1-0 pitch into the left-centerfield gap, what looked like a sure bases-clearing triple. But Wilson made a lunging-diving catch on the warning track, got to his feet, and fired a strike to SS Rafael Narea, who relayed the ball to 3rd base to double the runner off (the runner had neglected to tag up because it was a sure triple, right?), and then the runner at 2nd was almost tagged out attempting to advance to 3rd base after the catch (that runner did tag up), for what would have been one of the most amazing (and bizarre) triple plays ever seen. In fact I think if they had had replay available, it would have been ruled a triple play. As it was, it was an 8-6-5 double play as the batter and the runner at 3rd were retired. Wilson then made two more fine running catches in the top of the next inning, before moving to DH for the rest of the game.

"Defensive Play of the Game" honorable mention goes to Cubs 1B Jose Paniagua, who made a nifty pick of a one-hop throw at 1st base to save an E-5 error (and a run) in the 6th.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 1-4 (6-3, K, P-6 DP, 1B)
2. Yeiler Peguero, 2B-DH: 2-4 (3B, 3-1, 1B, F-8, R)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF-DH: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 5-3, K, 2 R, SB)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-3 (3B, BB, P-4, K, 2 R, RBI)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
6a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (1B, P-6, R)
6b. Tyler Pearson, PH-DH: 0-1 (BB, F-8, R)
7. Alberto Mineo, DH-C: 1-3 (2B, K, BB, K, 2 R, RBI)
8. Gustavo Polanco, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, 1B, FC+E5, 4-3, 4 RBI)
9. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-3 (BB, K, 4-3, K, RBI)
10. Yohan Matos, LF: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, R)
11. Rafael Mejia, DH-3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
12. Ruben Reyes, DH-CF: 0-2 (5-3, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
13. Vimael Machin, DH-2B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
14. Jose Gonzalez, DH-RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Erling Moreno: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 43 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Javier Assad: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 28 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3 HBP, 1 WP, 2 BALKS, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO. 32 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Andry Rondon: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (14 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2-2 CS

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS
1. CF D. J. Wilson - baserunner doubled off 3rd base 8-6-5 after F-8
2. RF Kevonte Mitchell - batter thrown out 9-6 attempting to stretch single into double

CUBS BASERUNNING ADVENTURES
Yohan Matos - doubled off 1st base after P-6 out

ATTENDANCE: 21

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's

• Cubster 9 hours 53 min ago (view)

Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...

"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)

• Hagsag 12 hours 1 min ago (view)

Thanks crunch.

• crunch 21 hours 58 min ago (view)

It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated.  coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019.  last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.

we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).

• Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.

• azbobbop 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 2 days 23 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 21 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 4 days 3 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 4 days 8 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 4 days 11 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.