A Trio of Triples and a Tater Help Cubs Upend D'backs
Fabian Pertuz ripped a triple and scored on a Jonathan Soto sacrifice fly to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 2nd, D. J. Wilson smacked an RBI triple in the 3rd, Rafael Mejia belted a two-run triple in the 5th, and Brennen Davis blasted a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 7th, helping the Cubs "B" team rally from an early 3-0 deficit to overtake the Diamondbacks 5-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Prior to the game on Field #5, RHP Keegan Thompson (on AA Tennessee 7-day IL since April 11th) threw "live" BP on Field #6.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, K, BB, RBI)
2. Brennen Davis, RF: 1-4 (K, F-7, HR, L-8, R, RBI)
3. Pedro Martinez, 2B: 0-3 (F-9, BB, K, K)
4. Fabian Pertuz, 3B: 1-3 (3B, K, BB, P-4, R, CS)
5. Jonathan Soto, C-DH: 0-1 (F-7 SF, 6-4-3 DP, BB, RBI)
6. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (F-9, BB, F-9, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, 1B, 4-3, R)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1-3 (K, 3B, 5-3, 2 RBI)
9. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-1 (BB, P-4 DP, BB, R)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8, SB)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Luis Ramos: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/AO, 55 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Luis Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Manuel Heredia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Chris Allen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 2
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Luis Ramos: E-1 (overthrow to 1st base on pick-off attempt allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jonathan Soto: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Mike Wellman 46 min 5 sec ago (view)
One 2 women umps in MiLB worked the SB series. Pal of our son’s from LL days was SB clubhouse mgr. this year. He spoke highly of Emma’s work but said visiting teams often did not. Also spoke highly of B-Zo on his brief rehab stay when he bought the team McD’s, a la Prez Dollar Menu. So, 2 Cub branches made playoffs so far. Can the big Cubs make it 3?
JustSayin' 9 hours 1 min ago (view)
South Bend won seven post-season games. No team they played won any against them. So the Midwest League Cubs run the table and win the Championship! A couple recurring offensive stars, solid defense and lots of strong pitching did the trick.
crunch 11 hours 52 min ago (view)
home or away for WAS...they can throw scherzer, strasburg, or corbin at anyone down the stretch and still have an ace for the 1-game wildcard.
that should play well into their advantage in the last couple weeks as well as the WC playoff. if the cubs can't luck their way back into 1st it's going to be a hell of a Wild Card if WAS is in no matter who's on top of the WC standings.
Charlie 12 hours 26 min ago (view)
Might as well catch the Cards while they're at it ;)
Last time I can remember the division and the Wild Card race this tight was 2015. Funny how similar and yet how different that situation was!
crunch 13 hours 25 min ago (view)
the funny thing is, like early-career randy johnson, batters are extremely uneasy in the box when facing him. part of that helps lead to weak contact and Ks...it also leads to walks and HBPs, though...
Craig A. 14 hours 9 min ago (view)
Cubs better aim for the first wild card. There’ a very slim chance we beat Washington at home.
Craig A. 14 hours 11 min ago (view)
So we keep Maples for intimidation?
crunch 14 hours 45 min ago (view)
maples showcasing how he can fall apart from batter to batter...from a sick 3-pitch K to a 2-2 HBP to a 3-1 HBP.
it's all wild, not retalitory...umps in a bad place since warnings were given based on early HBP's by PIT and maples is tossed. even PIT doesn't think it was intentional and their dugout is calm.
crunch 15 hours 35 min ago (view)
236 homers...franchise record previously set in 2004.
hoerner puts the team over the top.
crunch 16 hours 33 min ago (view)
maddon (whether he's here next season or not) seems to be in no hurry to get him work. it's actually a bit impressive how we've not heard even a shred of shade about his lack of use from descalso.
...but he did see what the organization did to pretty much end tony barnette's career...so there's that. i think lastella ruined throwing roster movement and player use tantrums for everyone.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 18 min ago (view)
I can’t imagine they go into next season like that. He’s been insanely bad.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Eric S 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
He gets infrequent pinch hitting appearances - and seemingly K’s in each one.
I guess Descalso is the back up plan to start at second next season should Hoerner get injured while cliff diving or hit by falling space debris in the off season
Hagsag 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Roller coaster crunch.lol
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
i keep forgetting descalso is back with the cubs. he's practically been shelved on the pine.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
South Bend Cubs (YouTube)