Sierra and Paniagua Long-Balls Help Cubs Gain Split with Giants
Jonathan Sierra (two-run home run), Alberto Mineo (RBI triple), Kwang-Min Kwon (RBI single), and Roberto Caro (RBI triple) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a five-run 2nd, Jose Paniagua clubbed his team-leading 4th HR in the 6th, Edgar Rondon drilled two doubles, walked, and scored a run, and Marcus Mastrobuoni doubled, singled , and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 7-3 win over the Giants on Field #2, and Chase Compton belted a solo HR and an RBI single, Richard Amion Jr rifled an RBI single and walked twice, and RHP Hengerber Medina and four relievers combined to toss a four-hit shutout, as the Giants blanked the Cubs 3-0 on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called by mutual-consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Now 17, Jonathan Sierra (2015 IFA - Dominican Republic- $2.5M bonus) was invited to AZ Instructs as a 16-year old last September, and he made a favorable impression, even drawing comparisons to a (very) young Darryl Strawberry (lanky teenaged LH hitting & throwing corner OF with potential to mash). But Sierra has struggled at Extended Spring Training so far, hitting just 152/243/303 (16% K-rate - 11% walk-rate) in 13 Cactus League EXST games (37 PA), and his second-inning home run today (which was his 1st Cactus League EXST HR) broke an 0-13 skid that goes back ten days. So while his future is bright, he will likely be assigned to one of the Cubs DSL squads (DSL Cubs #1 or DSL Cubs #2) in the coming days.
Here are the abridged box scores from the games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 2-3 (2B, F-7, 2B, BB, R)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (L-9, 3B, F-9, P-6, RBI, PO)
3. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 3-1, 5-3, F-8, RBI)
4. Kevonte Mitchell, DH #1: 0-4 (F-9, E-6, F-9, 6-3, SB, PO)
5a. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (K, 5-3, K)
5b. Ruben Reyes, PH: 1-1 (1B)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-4 (E-5, 5-3, HR, 6-4-3 DP, 2 R, RBI)
7. Jonathan Sierra, LF: 1-3 (HR, F-7, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
8. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 2-3 (2B, 1B, 5-3, R)
9. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (3B, BB, 3-U, R, RBI)
10. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 1-2 (1B, F-8, HBP, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF Roberto Caro: E-8 (fielding error on double to left-centerfield allowed batter to advance to 3rd base)
2. 2B Edgar Rondon: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (F-8, P-2, F-8)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3, CS)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, P-6)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, L-6, 1B)
5. Alex Bautista, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
6. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-3 (F-8, F-8, 5-3)
7. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB, BB, HBP)
8. Abraham Rodriguez, LF:1-3 (1B, 9-6 FC, F-7)
9. Luis Ayala, DH #2: 1-3 (F-7, 1B, L-4, CS)
10. Jose Gonzalez, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, P-4, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 5/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Daniel Lewis: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Jhonny Bethencourt: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
1. LF Abraham Rodriguez - runner thrown out 7-6-2 attempting to score from 1st base on double to LF
2. RF Jose Gonzalez - runner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Charlie 4 hours 33 min ago (view)
Honestly, Urias guessed wrong on that one. But he stilled managed to make contact despite being way out in front, so that breaker must have rolled.
Charlie 4 hours 34 min ago (view)
KB having a perfectly adequate KB stretch and it's a highlight. Sigh.
Chafin may be reconsidering that jalopie after being the man on the mound when the wheels fell off in this one.
crunch 5 hours 33 min ago (view)
i know we're only 10 games in and you can't get good numbers on that, but this is a full-team hitting slump aside from marisnick and his 12 PA.
no one on this team is this bad, but all of them doing it at once is crazy. bad ABs, tons of swings and misses, crap contact...
upon reflection (and another hit in the 9th) i need to give props to k.bryant...he's a 1-man show right now for the regulars.
Eric S 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
I can pause it for pinch hitting - otherwise I'm locked in as there's nothing else to see here
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 25 min ago (view)
Me too, Eric Sogard
Eric S 6 hours 31 min ago (view)
Well, Chafin ... not your night I guess ... looks like its time to catch up on the latest installment of Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 34 min ago (view)
It's kinda starting to feel like this team sucks? But yes this game definitely sucks.
crunch 6 hours 38 min ago (view)
justin steele warming...seems like his debut is on tap.
also, this game sucks.
Eric S 6 hours 40 min ago (view)
Luis Urias is not impressed 😩
crunch 9 hours 16 min ago (view)
steele, wieck, and strop called up.
btw, strop is a "replacement player" in this move and isn't subject to 40-man roster waiver rules
crunch 9 hours 43 min ago (view)
cubs covid...chris young tested positive. j.adam, d.winkler, and b.workman are now on the "injured list"
Charlie 10 hours 8 min ago (view)
Sorry that I couldn't access things for opening day and then got busy for the next couple series. Glad to have a baseball routine to share with you all again!
Sonicwind75 10 hours 39 min ago (view)
Guessing I'm a little late to the game on this; but just read Chafin's twitter about wanting to buy a cheap car to drive around Chicago. He seems like a good dude.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
RHSP Duncan Robinson (June 2019 TJS) has retired.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Rex Brothers and Tony Wolters reached five years of MLB Service Time this weekend, so Brothers now cannot be sent outright to the minors without his consent (he is out of minor league options) and Wolters (who has a minor league option left) now cannot be optioned or outrighted to the minors without his consent.
Arizona Phil 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
It's not good to play bad teams early because they have the confidence and energy they won't have later in the season after they realize they suck and all is lost.