To Add-bert Alzolay
The Cubs will be playing a doubleheader this coming Saturday at Cincinnati and Cubs #1 pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay is expected to be added to the Cubs MLB Active List as the "26th Man" and make his MLB debut by getting a start in one of the games.
Here is the "26th Man" rule:
Beginning on MLB Opening Day and extending up through August 31st, a club can temporarily add a 26th player to its MLB Active List on any day where two games are scheduled, as long as the second game was not scheduled as the result of a game that was postponed or suspended the previous day. If the postponed or suspended game was from the previous day, a "26th man" can be temporarily added to a club's MLB Active List for the second game only.
1. The "26th man" must be on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) or has to be added to the club's 40-man roster that day.
2. The "26th man" does not have to be a pitcher.
3. In the case of two games being scheduled on the same day where the 26-man Active List limit is in effect for both games, the "26th man" cannot be switched between games.
4. A minor league player can be added to a club's Active List as the "26th man" even if he has not spent ten days on Optional Assignment (or Outright Assignment) prior to being added.
5. A "26th man" can remain on the Active List and a different player can be dropped the next day, as long as the "26th man" was not called up from the minors prior to spending at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment. However, a player called up as the "26th man" prior to spending at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment could remain on the 25-man roster if the player replaces a player who is placed on the Disabled List (or other MLB inactive list) the next day.
6. If a player is recalled as the "26th man" and is optioned or outrighted back to the minors the next day, the "10-day rule" clock (prohibiting a player from being recalled until he has spent at least ten days on Optional or Outright Assignment, unless he is replacing a player who is placed on the DL or other MLB inactive list) does not start over again. However many days toward ten that the player spent on Optional or Outright Assignment prior to being recalled as the "26th man" counts toward the ten days.
7. The "26th man" accrues one day of MLB Service Time.
Hagsag 8 hours 38 min ago (view)
AZ Phil, what are your thoughts on the discussion to eliminate 42 low minor league teams in 2021? What would this do to the Dominican League? Thanks.
crunch 14 hours 42 min ago (view)
yanks/astros game 6 was a f'n classic. wow.
altuve continues to build his astros legend.
bradsbeard 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Thanks for this. I agree they’ll probably take their chances in the Rule 5 if he will resign, though I really wouldn’t mind adding him back to the 40 man. I feel like he has a good chance to be effective out of the bullpen.
bradsbeard 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
I hope Sagara doesn’t end up leaving because of the shakeup. The Athletic did report that his position might be eliminated but that he should be offered another role in the organization somewhere. All I know is Sagara’s name came up frequently in connection with the pitch lab, and he was credited for improvements with Ryan, Wick, and Wieck. Maybe he’ll end up focusing more specifically in that role helping guys tweak things in the lab.
JustSayin' 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Does anyone have insight into the new management hires and musical chairs the Cubs announced yesterday? Craig Breslow might be the only guy out there with extensive MLB experience AND the grey matter to challenge any quant not making sense. His role intrigues me but are they going to give him real responsibility to clear out the deadwood (including the existing minor league coordinator who was never good enough to be the pitchers he's coaching?) Or, is this a superficial change aimed at keeping ownership off Theo's back?
Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: I think the Cubs want to retain Oscar de la Cruz post-2019, just not on the MLB 40-man roster.
Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Who are you all rooting for in the World Series? I'm rooting for the Nats to face and defeat Houston, I think, but with very mild interest. Let them get that championship out of the way and then maybe go the way of the post-2016 Cubs.
bradsbeard 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
AZ Phil, what do you think the Cubs will do with Oscar de la Cruz if they don’t add him back to the 40 man? Can they try to re-sign him but wait until after the Rule 5 to make it official? Do you think they will try to keep him in the organization in some fashion?
bradsbeard 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
Angels also make sense as a destination for Kris Bryant.
azbobbop 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
I wonder if Maddon will take any of the coaches with him.
Arizona Phil 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
I doubt that Maddon would have taken the job if the Angels aren't fully prepared to sign one or maybe even two FA TOR SP (like Gerrit Cole and/or Stephen Strasburg if he opts out).
When you have the best player in MLB and now the highest-paid manager, not making the playoffs again in 2020 just can't be acceptable.
crunch 4 days 14 min ago (view)
crunch 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
as expected, joe maddon to be the new manager of the angels.
btw, it is unlikely tonight's HOU @ NYY (10/16) will happen because of rain that's going to start 3-4 hours before game time and carry well into the night.
crunch 4 days 15 hours ago (view)
world series will be played in DC for the first time since 1933. neat.
crunch 4 days 18 hours ago (view)
and it's only getting worse...i mean, better.
7 runs to pad out the 1st.
Craig A. 4 days 18 hours ago (view)
Oof. Hudson leaves the game after giving up five runs on singles and doubles and only getting one out.