Mora of the Same for Cubs Hitters at Fitch Park
Sandber Pimentel drilled an RBI double, walked, and scored a run, Jordan Diaz doubled twice and scored a run, and RHP Jose Mora hurled four innings of one-hit ball, leading the Athletics to a 6-2 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #4 at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning affair (and since the A's were ahead after 7-1/2 innings they did not have to bat in the bottom of the 8th), but the game was extended an extra half-inning so that all of the A's pitchers who were scheduled to throw could get their work.
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Manuel Rondon (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL) has completed his EXST rehab and has been assigned to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-3 (1B, K, K, CS)
2. Luis Vazquez, SS-DH: 1-2 (BB, 1B, L-8, CS, PO)
3. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-3 (K, 3-U, 6-3)
4. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
5a. Cam Balego, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
5b. Raymond Pena, C: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
6. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, L-8, R, SB)
7. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, 6-3, R, RBI)
8a. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (P-4, L-4)
8b. Fidel Mejia, 1B: 0-0 (BB)
9a. Henrry Pedra, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
9b. Luis Ubiera, PH: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
9c. Delvin Zinn, 3B: 0-1 (K)
10. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 0-2 (6-3, K)
11. Fabian Pertuz, 3B-SS: 0-2 (P-6, K)
1. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/4 GO/AO, 36 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yan de la Cruz: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 29 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Fernando Calderon: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Kevin Zamudio: E-3 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
The Cubs have hired Chase Spivey to fill the open hitting coach position with AZL Cubs #1. He was formerly a hitting instructor with Sparta Science in Menlo Park, CA. Sparta specializes in advanced learning technologies used by sports teams, law enforcement agencies, and the military.
The Baltimore Orioles have claimed RHP Chandler Shepherd off waivers from the Cubs, as the Cubs tried (and failed) to outright Shepherd to the minors after claiming him off waivers from the Red Sox last Saturday.
schwarber / bryant(RF) / rizzo / baez / contreras / almora / russell(2nd) / bote(3rd) / ham
AZ Phil - Close here, but Cedeno to the IL with a “wrist injury“. Instead of Tazawa, the roulette wheel ball falls on righty reliever Rowan Wick being called up from AAA (not sure what he offers against lefties though).
What do you think he will cost?
Blue Jays scout following Cubs at EXST so there probably are other Toronto scouts on the other Cubs affiliates as well. If a deal were to happen, Jays closer Ken Giles is probable Cub target. (Giles is under club control via arbitration through 2020).
If the Cubs make any changes in the bullpen this week, I think Junichi Tazawa replacing Xaver Cedeno (likely DFA candidate) would be it.
It doesn't seem like Maddon has much confidence in Cedeno (and rightfully so), and Tazawa's splitter plays up vs LH hitters (when he's not hanging it).
Not that it's going to happen, but RHRP Tony Barnette is eligible to be reinstated from the Cubs MLB 60-day IL tomorrow (Thursday).
I'm bummed to be blacked out for this one. I'm forecasting a drubbing.
I had a good chuckle listening to the espn crew question the decision of pinch hitting a cold off the bench Javy for a veteran left handed hitter like Descalso - that discussion became moot pretty quick!
So many good things about the bottom of the ninth. Even Willson‘s at bat - though it didn’t result in a run - was a quality, grinding at bat after falling behind 0-2. Didn’t fall for the outside slider cheese as he’d done in similar situations before.
javy takes the 1st pitch he sees down the 1st base line into the outfield...no chance.
javy pinch hitting in the 9th with the bases loaded...welcome back.