Eloy, Marcano, and Sands Offer the Snake-Bite Cure at Talking Stick
Eloy Jimenez reached base four times (two doubles, a single, and a walk) in four Plate Appearances and drove-in a run, Ricardo Marcano belted a triple and a two-run double and scored a run, and LHP Carson Sands hurled four innings of shutout ball, as the Cubs defeated the Diamondbacks 5-3 on Jackrabbit Field, and Raymel Flores drilled two triples and scored two runs, Sergio Alcantara ripped a two-run inside-the-park HR, and Wei-Chieh Huang and five relievers combined to retire 25 of the first 27 men they faced, leading the D'backs to an 8-2 victory over the Cubs on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Jose Paniagua singled twice, doubled, and scored a run for the Cubs in a losing cause on Whirlwind Field.
Recently signed free-agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia went 1-3 with a single and a walk and a run scored in four PA and RHRP Matt Stites (on AZ MLB 15-day DL with right elbow inflammation) threw a shutout inning (one hit allowed, one strikeout) for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field. .
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Tommy LaStella (on Cubs 15-day DL - rib cage inflammation) has completed the Extended Spring Training portion of his rehab and has moved up to AA Tennessee, where he will begin his Article XIX-C Minor League Rehab Assignment. In just two Cactus League EXST games (10 PA), LaStella had seven hits (including four doubles and a HR) and a sacrifice fly, and six RBI.
Also, INF Andrew Ely (Cubs 2014 32nd round draft pick - U. of Washington) has been moved-up to Lo-A South Bend, and INF Tim Saunders (Cubs 2012 32nd round draft pick - Marietta College) has been released.
The 22 year old Ely began the season on the Hi-A Myrtle Beach roster, but he did not play for the Pelicans and was assigned to Extended Spring Training last month. In six Cactus League EXST games (21 PA), Ely hit 312/476/375, with a double, four walks, an HBP, two strikeouts, a stolen base, a run scored, and an RBI. He played both 2B and 3B while he was in Arizona.
The left-handed hitting Ely had a fine debut professional season in 2014, hitting 298/348/479 with five HR & 16 RBI in 34 games combined between AZL Cubs and AAA Iowa.
The speedy Saunders (48 SB in 148 career minor league games) was a two-time NCAA Division 3 All American in college and the 2012 NCAA D-3 Player of the Year, but yet he seemingly came out of nowhere to hit 381/431/536 between AZL Cubs, Peoria, and Daytona (combined 49 games - 218 PA) after being drafted in 2012. But then he suffered an elbow injury at Daytona in 2013 that required a UCL transplant (Tommy John surgery), and he was unable to regain the 2012 mojo once he returned to action.
The 24-year old Saunders retired last June, but decided to try it again this season. He reported to Minor League Camp in March, but was left behind at Extended Spring Training. He still shows plus-speed on the bases and versatility and range in the field, and he still has a good eye at the plate, but he hit only 154/313/231 in eleven Cactus League EXST games (32 PA), with four walks and two HBP, six strikeouts, three stolen bases (one CS), five runs scored, and two RBI. He played 2B, 3B, and SS in Cactus League EXST games and intrasquad games while he was at EXST, and he has also played the outfield earlier in his career. He should be able to find a spot with an indepenedent league team if he wants to continue playing.
It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play an EXST intrasquad game on Field #6 at Riverview Park yesterday afternoon.
Veteran MLB RHP Felipe Paulino was one of the starting pitchers in the intrasquad game, and he worked 3.1 IP and got his pitch count up to 63, so he may ready to join AAA Iowa sooner rather than later. He did allow three runs on four hits (two singles, a triple and a solo HR) and two walks, but he also struck out six (all six swinging). His fastball was consistently 94-95 MPH, and touched 96 at least once, so apparently there is nothing wrong with his arm (Paulino missed most of the 2014 season with a sore shoulder, and he had TJS in 2012).
Tyler Alamo slugged a solo home run (that was the one HR allowed by F. Paulino), Yohan Matos, Carlos Jimenez, and Jose Paniagua belted triples, and LHP Jose Paulino tossed four innings of one-hit ball with six strikeouts (and a 6/0 GO/FO) in the intrasquad game. (J. Paulino is a virtual-lock to join Carson Sands, Justin Steele, and Austyn Willis in the Eugene starting rotation, when the Northwest League begins play next month).
RHP Dillon Maples had another poor outing. Working in relief of J. Paulino in the intrasquad game, Maples allowed five runs on five hits (including two triples and a double) and two walks in just one inning of work.This is the fourth consecutive Extended Spring Training for the now 23-year old Maples (he was drafted out of a North Carolina HS in 2011, but did not sign until August of that year), and while he still throws a 94 MPH heater and a hammer curve, he has a lot of difficulty commanding his pitches. He also sometimes will lose confidence in his fastball if he's not getting good results with it, and when that happens he tends to lose focus.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's two Cubs Cactus League EXST games (Cubs players only), followed by the abridged box score from yesterday's intrasquad game at Riverview Park:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1-3, 1B, 6-3, R, SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-4 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, K, R, RBI)
3. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, BB, L-7)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 3-3 (2B, 1B, 2B, BB, RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-4 (K, 3-6-1 DP, F-8, F-8)
6a. Yohan Matos, C: 0-2 (BB, K, P-3, SB)
6b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 6-3, BB, BB, R)
8. Ho-Young Son, DH #1: 2-4 (F-8, L-5, 1B, 1B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 3B, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
10. Danny Gutierrez, DH #2: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 6-3, P-5, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/FO, 57 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Daniel Schlereth: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/FO, 33 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A: CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
2. Roberto Caro, RF-DH: 1-3 (K, F-8, 1B, R)
3. Jose Paniagua, LF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, F-7, 4-3, RBI)
5. Jhonny Pereda, C-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B; 1-3 (F-7, F-7, 1B)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Carlos Jimenez, 2B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
10. Jenner Emeterio, DH-RF: 0-2 (K, K)
11. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-2 (K, K)
12. Andruw Monasterio, DH #4: 0-2 (K, L-7)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 0/5 GO/FO, 43 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Jordan Brink: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/FO, 19 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Varonex Cuevas: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Jimenez: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Carlos Jimenez: E-4 (fielding error allowed bater to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast with occasional drizzle & temperatures in the 70's
CUBS INTRASQUAD GAME AT RIVERVIEW PARK FIELD #6 (Thursday 5-14-2015)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP::
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 0-3 (6-3, 6-5 FC, 6-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9, R, SB)
3. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 4-3, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B)
5. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (HR, K, 4-3, R, RBI)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B; 0-3 (K, 3-1, 4-3)
7. Ho-Young Son, 3B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-7, CS)
8. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, R)
9. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-2 (3B, K, RBI)
10. Jenner Emeterio, DH #2: 0-0 (BB, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, LF: 1-3 (6-3, K, 2B, R, RBI, SB)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3, BB, R, SB)
3. Jose Paniagua, DH: 1-2 (K, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
4. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-2 (BB, K, 3-6-1 DP, R, SB)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (BB, 3-1, BB, R)
7. Adonis Paula, 1B: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Danny Gutierrez, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-5, R)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 2B: 1-3 (K, 3B, 6-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 6/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GOP/FO, 23 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Felipe Paulino: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 2/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Enrique de los Rios: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 7 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
P Jose Paulino: E-1 (errant throw on infield single allowed batter to advance to 3rd base & runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
C Alberto Mineo: E-2 (errant throw to 2nd base on stolen base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-4 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny & VERY breezy with tempeatures in the 70's
Arizona Phil 14 hours 14 min ago (view)
Steele, K. Thompson, and Patterson have all been developed (so far) as starting pitchers, so this will give the Cubs potentially three more SP candidates for their Practice Squad.
Craig A. 20 hours 27 min ago (view)
Yeah, and he's no better at calling fiowl balls. He belongs on a talk show, not on a baseball diamond.
crunch 20 hours 39 min ago (view)
sergio mitre is under investigation for the rape and murder of a 2 year old in mexico.
evidently the child of the 19 year old woman he's been living with for a few months ended up in the hospital where they found damage (most likely from sexual assault) leading to her death.
i'm done with 2020.
crunch 20 hours 51 min ago (view)
braves sign puig.
that's a risky signing with so many young kids the braves have still forming their professional lives. he's a bit toxic and combative.
crunch 20 hours 56 min ago (view)
if we had less joe west mentality we'd be on our way to being over it. i'm not going to address those fake ass "facts" that people like him are standing behind in order to keep from doing the bare minimum to sacrifice comfort for country.
him and his kind are the issue keeping this "unfair" thing continuing.
Cubster 21 hours 54 min ago (view)
Hopefully Joe West will retire. Unfortunately, he's a crazy conspiracy guy and doesn't believe Coronavirus is killing people.
crunch 1 day 50 min ago (view)
11 umpires opt out of 2020...
Cubster 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
IMPOTUS 45: "ANYBODY WHO WANTS A TEST CAN GET A TEST"
then said quietly by his elves: although it can take up to 1-2 days (or two tanks of gas) to get through test lines and then 7-14 days to get results.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
5 cubs players + d.ross didn't work out with the team today because their tests were dealyed. 4 players + d.ross later came back negative and 1 test will have to be done again because it was compromised during transport and invalidated.
...turns out the compromised test was not a player, but a non-player/non-ross Tier 1 employee. neat.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
v.caratini will continue to be darvish's preferred catcher this season.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
j.hicks (STL) opts out. he's a T1 diabetic currently rehabbing from TJ. he was expected to return in august.
JustSayin' 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
I think what your saying applies to all franchises in all big-time team sports. The virus is asymptomatic in many carriers. The national positive test % rate is mid/high single digits. If your pro sports franchise does 3-4 x better than that, it still means some players and coaches will test positive and things will grind to a partial or complete halt. At least baseball didn't try to "bubble" in AZ and FL, which are looking like two of the worst (and worst-led) states in which to be located at the currrent stage of the pandemic.
crunch 2 days 20 hours ago (view)
rizzo took BP and did some field work today. also, almora is good to go...he ran into a wall on friday and got a little banged up.
Cubster 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
Aroldis Chapman is now Covid positive with mild symptoms
crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
the COVID-Division should be fun.
teams from TX, AZ, CA, WA, and CO exclusively playing each other... CO is all "wtf, really?"
Cubster 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
...and so it goes (per Roto): Astros general manager James Click wrote in a statement that a member of the staff "was potentially exposed to a COVID-positive individual outside the organization.” The team is working with MLB and team doctors on testing protocol and cleaning before resuming workouts.
Does the visiting team bring a Covid positive bio-weapon to the player's parking lot?