Eloy, Marcano, and Sands Offer the Snake-Bite Cure at Talking Stick
Eloy Jimenez reached base four times (two doubles, a single, and a walk) in four Plate Appearances and drove-in a run, Ricardo Marcano belted a triple and a two-run double and scored a run, and LHP Carson Sands hurled four innings of shutout ball, as the Cubs defeated the Diamondbacks 5-3 on Jackrabbit Field, and Raymel Flores drilled two triples and scored two runs, Sergio Alcantara ripped a two-run inside-the-park HR, and Wei-Chieh Huang and five relievers combined to retire 25 of the first 27 men they faced, leading the D'backs to an 8-2 victory over the Cubs on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Jose Paniagua singled twice, doubled, and scored a run for the Cubs in a losing cause on Whirlwind Field.
Recently signed free-agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia went 1-3 with a single and a walk and a run scored in four PA and RHRP Matt Stites (on AZ MLB 15-day DL with right elbow inflammation) threw a shutout inning (one hit allowed, one strikeout) for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field. .
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Tommy LaStella (on Cubs 15-day DL - rib cage inflammation) has completed the Extended Spring Training portion of his rehab and has moved up to AA Tennessee, where he will begin his Article XIX-C Minor League Rehab Assignment. In just two Cactus League EXST games (10 PA), LaStella had seven hits (including four doubles and a HR) and a sacrifice fly, and six RBI.
Also, INF Andrew Ely (Cubs 2014 32nd round draft pick - U. of Washington) has been moved-up to Lo-A South Bend, and INF Tim Saunders (Cubs 2012 32nd round draft pick - Marietta College) has been released.
The 22 year old Ely began the season on the Hi-A Myrtle Beach roster, but he did not play for the Pelicans and was assigned to Extended Spring Training last month. In six Cactus League EXST games (21 PA), Ely hit 312/476/375, with a double, four walks, an HBP, two strikeouts, a stolen base, a run scored, and an RBI. He played both 2B and 3B while he was in Arizona.
The left-handed hitting Ely had a fine debut professional season in 2014, hitting 298/348/479 with five HR & 16 RBI in 34 games combined between AZL Cubs and AAA Iowa.
The speedy Saunders (48 SB in 148 career minor league games) was a two-time NCAA Division 3 All American in college and the 2012 NCAA D-3 Player of the Year, but yet he seemingly came out of nowhere to hit 381/431/536 between AZL Cubs, Peoria, and Daytona (combined 49 games - 218 PA) after being drafted in 2012. But then he suffered an elbow injury at Daytona in 2013 that required a UCL transplant (Tommy John surgery), and he was unable to regain the 2012 mojo once he returned to action.
The 24-year old Saunders retired last June, but decided to try it again this season. He reported to Minor League Camp in March, but was left behind at Extended Spring Training. He still shows plus-speed on the bases and versatility and range in the field, and he still has a good eye at the plate, but he hit only 154/313/231 in eleven Cactus League EXST games (32 PA), with four walks and two HBP, six strikeouts, three stolen bases (one CS), five runs scored, and two RBI. He played 2B, 3B, and SS in Cactus League EXST games and intrasquad games while he was at EXST, and he has also played the outfield earlier in his career. He should be able to find a spot with an indepenedent league team if he wants to continue playing.
It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play an EXST intrasquad game on Field #6 at Riverview Park yesterday afternoon.
Veteran MLB RHP Felipe Paulino was one of the starting pitchers in the intrasquad game, and he worked 3.1 IP and got his pitch count up to 63, so he may ready to join AAA Iowa sooner rather than later. He did allow three runs on four hits (two singles, a triple and a solo HR) and two walks, but he also struck out six (all six swinging). His fastball was consistently 94-95 MPH, and touched 96 at least once, so apparently there is nothing wrong with his arm (Paulino missed most of the 2014 season with a sore shoulder, and he had TJS in 2012).
Tyler Alamo slugged a solo home run (that was the one HR allowed by F. Paulino), Yohan Matos, Carlos Jimenez, and Jose Paniagua belted triples, and LHP Jose Paulino tossed four innings of one-hit ball with six strikeouts (and a 6/0 GO/FO) in the intrasquad game. (J. Paulino is a virtual-lock to join Carson Sands, Justin Steele, and Austyn Willis in the Eugene starting rotation, when the Northwest League begins play next month).
RHP Dillon Maples had another poor outing. Working in relief of J. Paulino in the intrasquad game, Maples allowed five runs on five hits (including two triples and a double) and two walks in just one inning of work.This is the fourth consecutive Extended Spring Training for the now 23-year old Maples (he was drafted out of a North Carolina HS in 2011, but did not sign until August of that year), and while he still throws a 94 MPH heater and a hammer curve, he has a lot of difficulty commanding his pitches. He also sometimes will lose confidence in his fastball if he's not getting good results with it, and when that happens he tends to lose focus.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's two Cubs Cactus League EXST games (Cubs players only), followed by the abridged box score from yesterday's intrasquad game at Riverview Park:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1-3, 1B, 6-3, R, SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-4 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, K, R, RBI)
3. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, BB, L-7)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 3-3 (2B, 1B, 2B, BB, RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-4 (K, 3-6-1 DP, F-8, F-8)
6a. Yohan Matos, C: 0-2 (BB, K, P-3, SB)
6b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-2 (K, 6-3, BB, BB, R)
8. Ho-Young Son, DH #1: 2-4 (F-8, L-5, 1B, 1B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 2-4 (4-3, 3B, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
10. Danny Gutierrez, DH #2: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 6-3, P-5, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/FO, 57 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Daniel Schlereth: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/FO, 33 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A: CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (4-3, K, 4-3)
2. Roberto Caro, RF-DH: 1-3 (K, F-8, 1B, R)
3. Jose Paniagua, LF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, F-7, 4-3, RBI)
5. Jhonny Pereda, C-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B; 1-3 (F-7, F-7, 1B)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Carlos Jimenez, 2B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
10. Jenner Emeterio, DH-RF: 0-2 (K, K)
11. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-2 (K, K)
12. Andruw Monasterio, DH #4: 0-2 (K, L-7)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 0/5 GO/FO, 43 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Jordan Brink: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/FO, 19 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Varonex Cuevas: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Jimenez: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Carlos Jimenez: E-4 (fielding error allowed bater to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast with occasional drizzle & temperatures in the 70's
CUBS INTRASQUAD GAME AT RIVERVIEW PARK FIELD #6 (Thursday 5-14-2015)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP::
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 0-3 (6-3, 6-5 FC, 6-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9, R, SB)
3. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 4-3, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B)
5. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (HR, K, 4-3, R, RBI)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B; 0-3 (K, 3-1, 4-3)
7. Ho-Young Son, 3B: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-7, CS)
8. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, R)
9. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-2 (3B, K, RBI)
10. Jenner Emeterio, DH #2: 0-0 (BB, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, LF: 1-3 (6-3, K, 2B, R, RBI, SB)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3, BB, R, SB)
3. Jose Paniagua, DH: 1-2 (K, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
4. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-2 (BB, K, 3-6-1 DP, R, SB)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (BB, 3-1, BB, R)
7. Adonis Paula, 1B: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Danny Gutierrez, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-5, R)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 2B: 1-3 (K, 3B, 6-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 6/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GOP/FO, 23 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Felipe Paulino: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 2/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Enrique de los Rios: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 7 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
P Jose Paulino: E-1 (errant throw on infield single allowed batter to advance to 3rd base & runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
C Alberto Mineo: E-2 (errant throw to 2nd base on stolen base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-4 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny & VERY breezy with tempeatures in the 70's
crunch 1 hour 16 min ago (view)
they could motivate the team with a full sized cutout of a nude tom ricketts they reveal a little bit at a time when they win.
First.Pitch.120 3 hours 19 min ago (view)
Maybe if we threaten to move the team to Miami if they lose enough games it will be the motivation that they need to pull togethert for an improbable run to the playoffs.
crunch 4 hours 13 min ago (view)
CTSteve 13 hours 34 min ago (view)
You can't fire all the players. Why is that, again?
Charlie 18 hours 45 min ago (view)
Honestly, Urias guessed wrong on that one. But he stilled managed to make contact despite being way out in front, so that breaker must have rolled.
Charlie 18 hours 47 min ago (view)
KB having a perfectly adequate KB stretch and it's a highlight. Sigh.
Chafin may be reconsidering that jalopie after being the man on the mound when the wheels fell off in this one.
crunch 19 hours 46 min ago (view)
i know we're only 10 games in and you can't get good numbers on that, but this is a full-team hitting slump aside from marisnick and his 12 PA.
no one on this team is this bad, but all of them doing it at once is crazy. bad ABs, tons of swings and misses, crap contact...
upon reflection (and another hit in the 9th) i need to give props to k.bryant...he's a 1-man show right now for the regulars.
Eric S 20 hours 34 min ago (view)
I can pause it for pinch hitting - otherwise I'm locked in as there's nothing else to see here
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 38 min ago (view)
Me too, Eric Sogard
Eric S 20 hours 44 min ago (view)
Well, Chafin ... not your night I guess ... looks like its time to catch up on the latest installment of Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 47 min ago (view)
It's kinda starting to feel like this team sucks? But yes this game definitely sucks.
crunch 20 hours 51 min ago (view)
justin steele warming...seems like his debut is on tap.
also, this game sucks.
Eric S 20 hours 53 min ago (view)
Luis Urias is not impressed 😩
crunch 23 hours 29 min ago (view)
steele, wieck, and strop called up.
btw, strop is a "replacement player" in this move and isn't subject to 40-man roster waiver rules
crunch 23 hours 56 min ago (view)
cubs covid...chris young tested positive. j.adam, d.winkler, and b.workman are now on the "injured list"
Charlie 1 day 21 min ago (view)
Sorry that I couldn't access things for opening day and then got busy for the next couple series. Glad to have a baseball routine to share with you all again!