Cubs Rally to Tie Brew Crew in Maryvale
Alberto Mineo (two-run single, RBI triple, and a walk) and Tyler Pearson (two walks and a double) reached base three times a piece for the Cubs, and Gilbert Lara (RBI triple), David Denson (RBI double), and Yerald Martinez (RBI double) stroked run-scoring extra-base hits in a three-run fourth, CF Joantgel Segovia drilled three singles, stole two bases, drove-in two runs, and threw out a runner on the bases, and RHP J. B. Kole threw five innings of two-hit ball for the Brewers, as the Cubs rallied for two runs in the top of the 9th and played the Brewers to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #7 (AKA "Paul Molitor Field") at Maryvale Baseball Park in Phoenix, AZ.
Before Kole entered the game, the Cubs scored two runs on four hits in the top of the 1st inning off 6'9 RHP Johnny Hellweg, who is on the Brewers MLB 60-day DL while rehabbing from 2014 Tommy John Surgery.
RHP Austyn Willis got the start for the Cubs and retired nine of the first ten men he faced on just 27 pitches, before running into trouble in the fourth when the Brew Crew plated three runs on a single, the Lara triple, and the Denson and Martinez doubles.
RHRP Corbin Hoffner worked the 8th and the 9th for the Cubs and did not allow a run, retiring six of the seven men he faced (three strikeouts and three ground outs) to preserve the tie. His new extreme sidearm (almost submarine) delivery coupled with lots of off-speed stuff (AKA "junk") really kept the Brewers hitters off-stride.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRPs Brad Markey and Daniel Lewis have been moved up to Lo-A South Bend, replacing RHPs James Norwood and Jake Stinnett, who were placed on the SB 7-day DL.
The 23-year old Markey was the Cubs 2014 19th round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, and he worked in 15 games (combined) out of the AZL Cubs and Boise bullpens after signing in June. He was left behind at Extended Spring Training despite spending much of Minor League Camp with the Hi-A Myrtle Beach squad, but he has pitched very well at EXST, and it was just a matter of time before he got his Letter of Transit out of Casablanca.
Although Daniel Lewis is 24, he has only been pitching for a year. He enlisted in the U. S. Air Force after finishing high school, and enrolled in Pensacola JC after being discharged in 2013. The Cubs signed him as a Non-Drafted Free Agent (NDFA) in July 2014 after scouting him in the Cape Cod League (probably the top collegiate summer league), and he appeared in eight games out of the Boise bullpen after signing. He attended AZ Instructs post-2014 but he did not pitch well there. Lewis features a high-octane 94-MPH fastball, but his command is spotty and his secondary pitches are raw.
BRAD MARKEY - 2015 CACTUS LEAGUE EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING GAMES
1. 4/17: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. 4/21: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
3. 4/24: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
4. 4/29: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 3/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
5. 5/5: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 B, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
6. 5/9: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (16 strikes)
TOTAL: 10.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 PO, 12/11 GO/FO, 66% strikes, 1.80 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, .172 OppBA
DANIEL LEWIS - 2015 CACTUS LEAGUE EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING GAMES
1. 4/17: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
2. 4/20: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. 4/24: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
4. 4/28: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/FO, 20 pitches (15 strikes)
5. 5/1: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
6. 5/5: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
7. 5/8: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 2 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 44 pitches (19 strikes)
8. 5/13: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 4/2 GO/FO, 36 pitches (19 strikes)
TOTAL: 12.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R (5 ER), 9 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 3 WP, 2 GIDP, 17/11 GO/FO, 56% strikes, 3.75 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, .150 OppBA
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 0-4 (E-6, 4-3, 5-4 FC, BB, 6-3, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, DH-SS: 0-5 (6-4 FC, F-7, F-7, L-8, E-4, R)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-5 (K, L-6, 4-3, F-9, 4-3)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-9, 2 R)
5. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, 5-3)
6. Alberto Mineo, C-1B: 2-3 (1B, K, 3B, BB, 3 RBI)
7. Tyler Alamo, 1B-C: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, F-9, 5-4 FC)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B; 1-3 (E-6, 2B, BB, 5-3, CS)
9. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-2 (5-4 FC, BB, 6-4 FC, HBP, 2 R, 2 SB)
10a. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 1-2 (K, BB, BB, 2B)
10b. Danny Gutierrez, PR: NO AB (R)
1. Austyn Willis: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 4/4 GO/FO, 49 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 3/0 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 26 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Daniel Bard: E-1 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. SS Ho-Young Son: E-6 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 0-2 CS
2. Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Cubster 18 hours 18 min ago (view)
IMPOTUS 45: "ANYBODY WHO WANTS A TEST CAN GET A TEST"
then said quietly by his elves: although it can take up to 1-2 days (or two tanks of gas) to get through test lines and then 7-14 days to get results.
crunch 18 hours 41 min ago (view)
5 cubs players + d.ross didn't work out with the team today because their tests were dealyed. 4 players + d.ross later came back negative and 1 test will have to be done again because it was compromised during transport and invalidated.
...turns out the compromised test was not a player, but a non-player/non-ross Tier 1 employee. neat.
crunch 21 hours 2 min ago (view)
v.caratini will continue to be darvish's preferred catcher this season.
crunch 21 hours 3 min ago (view)
j.hicks (STL) opts out. he's a T1 diabetic currently rehabbing from TJ. he was expected to return in august.
JustSayin' 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
I think what your saying applies to all franchises in all big-time team sports. The virus is asymptomatic in many carriers. The national positive test % rate is mid/high single digits. If your pro sports franchise does 3-4 x better than that, it still means some players and coaches will test positive and things will grind to a partial or complete halt. At least baseball didn't try to "bubble" in AZ and FL, which are looking like two of the worst (and worst-led) states in which to be located at the currrent stage of the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
rizzo took BP and did some field work today. also, almora is good to go...he ran into a wall on friday and got a little banged up.
Cubster 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Aroldis Chapman is now Covid positive with mild symptoms
crunch 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
the COVID-Division should be fun.
teams from TX, AZ, CA, WA, and CO exclusively playing each other... CO is all "wtf, really?"
Cubster 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
...and so it goes (per Roto): Astros general manager James Click wrote in a statement that a member of the staff "was potentially exposed to a COVID-positive individual outside the organization.” The team is working with MLB and team doctors on testing protocol and cleaning before resuming workouts.
Does the visiting team bring a Covid positive bio-weapon to the player's parking lot?
Charlie 2 days 23 hours ago (view)
I've been wondering how this would proceed. Since teams will have to figure out how existing contracts will be paid, I thought there was a *chance* they would proceed with free agency as usual and plan for payment under potential shortened seasons would just be figured out in negotiations with the MLBPA. But that was probably an overly optimistic thought.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
Meanwhile Theo shoots down any potential of extension talks. I get that it's a crazy time financially in baseball, but it's really gonna suck when all these players leave after 21 and 22.
Cubster 3 days 13 hours ago (view)
WSox Michael Kopech has opted out of 2020. I didn't see a disclosed reason yet but he is recovering from TJ S
crunch 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
buster posey (SF) opting out of 2020...recently adopted twin daughters who were born premature.
Cubster 5 days 3 hours ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 5 days 15 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 5 days 19 hours ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.