Eloy Goes Deep to Help Cubs Defeat Angels at Riverview
Alberto Mineo (RBI double), Tyler Alamo (RBI single), and Adonis Paula (RBI single) collected run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd, 17-year old Andruw Monasterio smacked a two-run double, Eloy Jimenez belted a solo home run, and Jose Paulino hurled four shutout innings and combined with four relievers to toss a three-hitter, as the Cubs cruised past the Angels 7-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair so that all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw could get their work.
Frandy de la Rosa drilled his team-leading seventh double in the game and is now hitting 279/324/443 in 19 Cactus League EXST games (68 PA), and it appears that he has won the Opening Day starting second-base job at Eugene.
The Eloy Jimenez HR gives him the team lead with two, and he is now hitting 317/348/583 in 19 Cactus League EXST games (66 PA). In addition to the two home runs, Eloy also has four doubles and is tied for the team lead in triples with three (tied with Kevin Encarnacion), and he leads the team in RBI (15 ) and in runs scored (11). He has three walks and ten strikeouts in the 66 PA, and he has also stolen three bases (no CS).
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Bryant Flete has been moved-up to AA Tennessee, and catcher Erick Castillo has been assigned to Extended Spring Training from AA Tennessee, as Flete and Castillo essentially changed places.
The 22-year old left-handed hitting Flete is a versatile player defensively and a polished player offensively, capable of playing 2B, SS, and 3B. and with a patient approach and a good eye at the plate. He hit a combined 274/385/355 in 189 career minor league games (761 PA) 2012-14, and in 13 Cactus League EXST games (35 PA) this season, Flete hit 357/485/500, with four doubles, seven walks and five strikeouts, one stolen base (one CS), seven runs scored, and three RBI.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, L-6, 5-3, R, SB)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 5-3, F-9, R)
3. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-3 (6-4 FC, BB, K, HR, 2 R, RBI, SB)
4. Alberto Mineo, 1B-C: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, L-7, R, RBI)
5. Tyler Alamo, C-1B: 1-4 (L-3, 1B, P-4, F-8, R, RBI)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, BB, K, RBI, PO)
7. Jose Paniagua, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-9 SF, E-4, K, R, RBI)
8. Danny Gutierrez, LF: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, F-7, K)
9. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 1-2 (1B, BB, 5-3, R)
10. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (2B, 4-6-3 DP, K, 2 RBI)
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 5/5 GO/FO, 42 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Jordan Brink: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Frandy de la Rosa: E-4 (dropped throw on attempted 6-4 FC allowing runner to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1 PB
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's