Angels in Charitable Mood at Riverview
Rafael Mejia laced an RBI double and a two-run single, SP Kohl Franklin hurled three innings of shutout ball, and the Cubs "B" team took advantage of seven walks, four errors, four WP, and two PB to cruise past the Angels 9-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning contest.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-9, K, 3-U)
1b. Ricardo Verenzuela, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Pedro Martinez, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, BB, 3-U, K, R, SB)
2b. Caleb Knight, PH-C: 0-1 (6-3)
3. Brennen Davis, LF: 1-3 (HBP, E-6, 1-3, 2B, R)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4-3 DP, F-9)
4b. Raymond Pena, PH: 0-0 (BB, R)
4c. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: NO AB
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-3 (1B, BB, 3-U, 5-U FC, R, CS)
6. Brandon Vicens, RF: 0-3 (L-8, K, K, BB, R)
7. Reivaj Garcia, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, BB, K, BB, 2 R, RBI, SB)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 6-3, 1B, 2 R, 3 RBI)
9. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, K, 1-3, 1B, RBI)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 0-3 (K, BB, K, E-6)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Kohl Franklin: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Tony Barnette: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Chris Allen: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Julio Guante: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
6. Pablo Ochoa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Maikel Aguiar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
3B Pedro Martinez: E-5 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 23 min 44 sec ago (view)
ham's shoulder fatigue is evidently still a factor and there's no timetable for his return. he's not even throwing on the side.
those last 3 cruddy starts might be the last we've seen of him in a cubs uniform.
crunch 36 min 33 sec ago (view)
can we quit having schwarber steal bases?
...especially against f'n y.molina...
Arizona Phil 49 min 2 sec ago (view)
Cubs pinch-hitters (so far) in 2019 (top ten sorted by PA):
Charlie 2 hours 17 min ago (view)
Wind howling out at the start of game 3, and the Cards have a pretty good groundball pitcher on the mound whom the Cubs have not seen this season. Get psyched.
Charlie 2 hours 18 min ago (view)
Four double plays, too. Ugh.
Jackstraw 4 hours 54 sec ago (view)
I just think Kemp has a Sharpie, and access to Joe's magic pocket card.
"Oh look, Kemp is hitting .438 in this situation. TK, grab a bat".
erich081 7 hours 15 min ago (view)
Justin Grimm must have forwarded his Maddon blackmail material to Tony Kemp.
crunch 14 hours 35 min ago (view)
baseball is fun.
Jackstraw 16 hours 31 min ago (view)
Cubs were 1 for 9 with RISP.
Neither of the Cards who scored had to take the bat off of their shoulder.
With the game on the line, Joe sends up Tony Kemp.
2019 season in microcosm.
crunch 16 hours 35 min ago (view)
p.alonso (NYM) gets #50...not bad for a rookie.
also, MIL wins because of course why not.
cubs are 2 games behind in the WC standings for the 2nd slot...5 games behind STL in the central.
crunch 18 hours 9 min ago (view)
i'll be over here watching Corner Gas DVDs waiting for 2020.
Charlie 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
Welp. I guess I will continue to pay attention to the Wild Card race? Dropping the Michael Wacha game is bad.
crunch 22 hours 4 min ago (view)
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 27 min ago (view)
Another game, another set of golden opportunities to add on to a lead wasted.
Eric S 22 hours 31 min ago (view)
And nine hits ... with one run to show for it
crunch 23 hours 37 min ago (view)
6 innings, 5 pitchers used...and the cubs are down by 1 to show for it.