Polanco Leads Cub Offense over A's at Riverview

Gustavo Polanco belted an RBI triple, a double, and a single, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel clobbered a three-run HR, and Jose A. Gonzalez singled, doubled, and scored two runs, leading a Cubs 14-hit attack (including five XBH) en route to a 10-6 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

The game was called after seven innings of play.

Jordan Diaz singled twice and doubled and scored a run for the A's in a losing cause.

In EXST roster news, RHP Jose Albertos has been sent to Extended Spring Training from South Bend.

Prior to the Cactus League game, RHP Luis Aquino, LHP Jonathan Bruzual, RHP Hector Alonso Garcia, and RHP Yunior Perez squared-off in a multi-inning "sim" game on Field #4. H. Garcia and Y. Perez have been in the Rehab Throwing Program since the start of Minor League Camp in March, and Aquino and Bruzual have been throwing bullpen side-sessions only for the last month.

Here is the abridged box score from the Cactus League EXST game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Josue Huma, DH #1: 1-2 (P-4, 1B, BB, BB, R)
2a. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-2 (5-3, HR, R, 3 RBI)
2b. Abraham Rodriguez, PH-DH: 0-0 (BB, L-8 SF, RBI)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 2-4 (E-5, 1B, 1B, 6-3, R, RBI)
4. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 3B, 6-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-3 (FC, F-8 SF, 6-3, 4-3, RBI)
6. Chris Carrier, LF: 2-4 (P-6, 1B, K, 1B, R, RBI, SB, CS)
7. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
8. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (F-8, K, F-8, 1B, RBI)
9. Ramsey Romano, DH-3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-9, 2B, K, R)
10a. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 2-3 (2B, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
10b. Richard Nunez, PH: 0-1 (K)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 39 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Alfredo Colorado: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Casey Ryan: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 43 pitches (25 strikes)
5. Sean Barry: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Jeremiah Estrada: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd and another runner to score from 3rd)
2. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Henderson Perez: 1 PB, 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)

ATTENDANCE: 4

WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

kinda lost track, but where is corey "spoiled manchild" black these days?

is he injured again?

CRUNCH: Corey Black appeared in a game in Minor League Camp in March but suffered a set-back and was placed back into the Rehab Throwing Program, where he has been now for the last couple of months.

damn, dude can't catch a break with his health. thanks.

Albertos to Mesa is better late than never. You can see his potential but if you're a 19-year old tweaking your motion and working on things like release point and velocity consistency, A-ball is not the place for that. The SB Cubs team is also under pressure, with below-average hitting and what appears to be league-worst infield defense. Trying to carry an 0-5 pitcher can get on everyone's nerves in that context. Jose needs to fix things which are probably fixable, without 3,000 people watching and games on the line. He's reportedly a very good guy and I hope extended ST will be a good re-boot for him, not purgatory or the beginning of the end.

• crunch 9 min 30 sec ago (view)

sahadev sharma (the atlantic) says w.contreras is all but gone via trade if jed can't get an extension worked out.

unless you're a yan gomes fan, the catcher market is nearly non-existent this off-season.

if this gets a bit more dire looking for the cubs i'll try to compile a list of 18-21 year old below-top-10 team tallent and guys with serious injuries missing all of next season as potential cubs trade targets.

• Cubster 10 hours 43 min ago (view)

Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...

"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)

• Hagsag 12 hours 51 min ago (view)

Thanks crunch.

• crunch 22 hours 49 min ago (view)

It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated.  coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019.  last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.

we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).

• Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.

• azbobbop 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 2 days 6 hours ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 3 days 38 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 21 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 3 days 23 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 4 days 5 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 4 days 9 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"