Garvey Three-Run Bomb Propels Rockies to Win over Cubs at Fitch Park
Ryan Garvey belted a three-run HR onto 8th Street with two outs in the top of the 8th inning to put the Rockies up 7-4, and then they hung-on to defeat the Cubs 8-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Jared Simon doubled twice, singled, stole a base, drove-in three runs, and scored another, and Correlle Prime singled three times and stole two bases for the Rockies.
Reggie Golden laced a two-run double and an RBI single for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger (strained oblique rehab) played 3rd base for five innings and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He singled in his first two AB, and then grounded out his last two times up. Clevenger is on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL, and is at Extended Spring Training preparing for an upcoming minor league rehab assignment at either AAA Iowa or AA Tennessee. (He isn't eligible to be reinstated from the 60-day DL until June 13th).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-1, 3-U, R)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-5 (3-1, 4-3, 2B, 1-3, 1-3, R)
2a. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B, 2 RBI, CS)
2b. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B+E7, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 2B, L-8, F-7, R)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 2-4 (2B, F-8, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 6-3, P-6)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (HBP, K, F-9, 1B)
8a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (K, 3-U)
8b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (5-3, HBP, 3-1, 4-U FC, R)
1. Duane Underwood: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 69 pitches (38 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (24 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (9 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Matt Iannazzo: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
1B Jacob Rogers - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 0-3 CS, 2 PB
2. Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Kevin Encarnacion - batter thrown out 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play an intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
25-year old lanky 6'3 Cuban RHP Armando Rivero saw his first EXST game action in the intrasquad game, and allowed one run on one hit (a single) and two walks. He retired only one batter, and was relieved after throwing 19 pitches (only ten strikes). A former closer for Industriales in Serie Nacional (the Cuban major league), Rivero was signed by the Cubs ($3.1M bonus) this past March after defecting to the Dominican Republic (and then migrating to Haiti) last year.
20-year old Mexican LHP David Villegas also made his EXST game debut in yesterday's intrasquad game, throwing two innings (31 pitches) and allowing one run on three hits. He struck out one, and did not issue any walks. Villegas was purchased by the Cubs from Las Olmecas de Tabasco (Mexican League) last Summer as part of the deal where the Cubs loaned RHP Yoanner Negrin to Tabasco. The Cubs also loaned catcher Sergio Burruel to Tabasco this season, and ex-Cub OF Nelson Perez signed with Tabasco after being released by the Cubs during Spring Training, so don't be surprised to see more transactions between the two clubs in the future.
19-year old RHP Paul Blackburn (selected by the Cubs with the 2012 Supplemental 1st round draft pick they received after MLB Article XX-B FA 1B Carlos Pena signed with TB) was hit hard, allowing five runs (all five ER) on eight hits (including five doubles) in three innings of work.
Steve Clevenger stroked two RBI doubles, drew a walk, and scored two runs, Carlos Penalver singled, doubled, and smacked a two-run HR, and Kevin Encarnacion singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored three runs, to provide the offensive highlights.
Erick Castillo left the game after being struck on the left ankle with a pitch.
Here is the box score from yesterday's intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (BB, BB, 3-U, K, 2 R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (1B+E3, HR, 2B, P-4, R, 2 RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (4-3, P-3, 5-3, K)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, 5-3, K, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 2-4 (K, 4-3, 1B, 1B)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-U FC, BB, R, RBI)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, E-4, RBI)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (1-3, F-9, HBP)
8b. Rashad Crawford, PR: NO AB
8c. Lance Rymel, C: NO AB
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 2-3 (BB, 2B, 2B, L-7, 2 R, 2 RBI, PO)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings)
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, SB)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-2 (1-3 SH, 4-3, 5-3, RBI)
3. Jose Dore, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, 6-3, 2 RBI)
4. Wilfredo Petit, C: 2-3 (F-7, 2B, 1B)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-3, 3-1)
6. Neftali Rosario, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-8, K)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, 2B, P-5, R)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, F-9, 5-3)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 51 pitches (36 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. David Villegas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Armando Rivero: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 65 pitches (36 strikes), 5/4 GO/FO
3. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (throwing error allowed baseruner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Neftali Rosario - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS
Arizona Phil 9 hours 16 min ago (view)
BTW, if you haven't read my Roster Rules section lately, it has been updated for 2021
One of the most significant changes is that minor league affiliates no longer have individual reserve lists.
It used to be that the AAA reserve list limit was 38 players, AA was 37, and each single-A affiliate and short-season affiliate was 35 for the entire year including the off-season.
Now, there are two reserve lists, one called the "Domestic Reserve List," and the other called the "International Reserve List."
Arizona Phil 15 hours 36 min ago (view)
I know I posted the Kelley and Polanco releases during Minor League Camp and the Kellogg, Katz, and Krzeminski signings about a week or two ago, but I probably did not post the Snelten release.
videographer 16 hours 49 min ago (view)
Per Baseball America: players signed and released over the last two weeks.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
turned into a combined no-hitter.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
MRI for marisnick on monday...no d/l yet, but it seems likely
also heyward has a hand issue and that's why he was removed in the 9th for a pinch hitter. no word on if that's going to be a thing going forward or just a "sleep it off" thing.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
sad thing is you can't even count on heyward slotting over to CF. his D is getting subpar, average on a good day, and he can barely handle RF as steady as he used to at this point.
2y/44m left on that deal...
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
may 9th and hendricks puts in 5 innings (88 pitches) to bring the team lead in SP innings pitched to 34.2ip
if arrieta didn't get injured (missing his last game) and pitched a hell of a game he wouldn't have hit 40ip+ unless he threw a complete game.
might not have a single starter going 200ip this year even if they stay healthy.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Dominating three innings for Shelby Miller in his rehab start for AAA Iowa today.
Arizona Phil 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Jake Marisnick has had several DL/IL stints due to hamstring injuries over the years, so this is nothing new.
I would think Cameron Maybin will probably get the call-up if Marisnick goes on the IL, although adding Maybin to the 40 would require a corresponding 40-man roster deletion (60-day IL or DFA).
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
j.marisnick right hamstring strain...may or may not hit the DL.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
PIT has 3 runs on on a walk and a slew of hits with an exit velocity comparable to the arm speed of a 5 year old throwing a dry sponge.
also, marisnick is injured and done. he's walking off the field before being checked on.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
crazy quiet at the park today in the 1st.
hendricks loading the f'n bases with 0 outs isn't helping.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
Shelby Miller on a rehab assignment. Hope he stays there
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
javy got a back ouchie and sitting today (sunday)
crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
both him and his sister (who's since left twitter) have some interesting opinions on what civility and real americans are and are not.
it may run in the family, but they're grown ass adults responsible for what things they put out in the world for public consumption.
Hagsag 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
Piece of gabage.