Garvey Three-Run Bomb Propels Rockies to Win over Cubs at Fitch Park
Ryan Garvey belted a three-run HR onto 8th Street with two outs in the top of the 8th inning to put the Rockies up 7-4, and then they hung-on to defeat the Cubs 8-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Jared Simon doubled twice, singled, stole a base, drove-in three runs, and scored another, and Correlle Prime singled three times and stole two bases for the Rockies.
Reggie Golden laced a two-run double and an RBI single for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger (strained oblique rehab) played 3rd base for five innings and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He singled in his first two AB, and then grounded out his last two times up. Clevenger is on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL, and is at Extended Spring Training preparing for an upcoming minor league rehab assignment at either AAA Iowa or AA Tennessee. (He isn't eligible to be reinstated from the 60-day DL until June 13th).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-1, 3-U, R)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-5 (3-1, 4-3, 2B, 1-3, 1-3, R)
2a. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B, 2 RBI, CS)
2b. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B+E7, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 2B, L-8, F-7, R)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 2-4 (2B, F-8, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 6-3, P-6)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (HBP, K, F-9, 1B)
8a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (K, 3-U)
8b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (5-3, HBP, 3-1, 4-U FC, R)
1. Duane Underwood: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 69 pitches (38 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (24 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (9 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Matt Iannazzo: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
1B Jacob Rogers - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 0-3 CS, 2 PB
2. Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Kevin Encarnacion - batter thrown out 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play an intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
25-year old lanky 6'3 Cuban RHP Armando Rivero saw his first EXST game action in the intrasquad game, and allowed one run on one hit (a single) and two walks. He retired only one batter, and was relieved after throwing 19 pitches (only ten strikes). A former closer for Industriales in Serie Nacional (the Cuban major league), Rivero was signed by the Cubs ($3.1M bonus) this past March after defecting to the Dominican Republic (and then migrating to Haiti) last year.
20-year old Mexican LHP David Villegas also made his EXST game debut in yesterday's intrasquad game, throwing two innings (31 pitches) and allowing one run on three hits. He struck out one, and did not issue any walks. Villegas was purchased by the Cubs from Las Olmecas de Tabasco (Mexican League) last Summer as part of the deal where the Cubs loaned RHP Yoanner Negrin to Tabasco. The Cubs also loaned catcher Sergio Burruel to Tabasco this season, and ex-Cub OF Nelson Perez signed with Tabasco after being released by the Cubs during Spring Training, so don't be surprised to see more transactions between the two clubs in the future.
19-year old RHP Paul Blackburn (selected by the Cubs with the 2012 Supplemental 1st round draft pick they received after MLB Article XX-B FA 1B Carlos Pena signed with TB) was hit hard, allowing five runs (all five ER) on eight hits (including five doubles) in three innings of work.
Steve Clevenger stroked two RBI doubles, drew a walk, and scored two runs, Carlos Penalver singled, doubled, and smacked a two-run HR, and Kevin Encarnacion singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored three runs, to provide the offensive highlights.
Erick Castillo left the game after being struck on the left ankle with a pitch.
Here is the box score from yesterday's intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (BB, BB, 3-U, K, 2 R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (1B+E3, HR, 2B, P-4, R, 2 RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (4-3, P-3, 5-3, K)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, 5-3, K, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 2-4 (K, 4-3, 1B, 1B)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-U FC, BB, R, RBI)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, E-4, RBI)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (1-3, F-9, HBP)
8b. Rashad Crawford, PR: NO AB
8c. Lance Rymel, C: NO AB
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 2-3 (BB, 2B, 2B, L-7, 2 R, 2 RBI, PO)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings)
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, SB)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-2 (1-3 SH, 4-3, 5-3, RBI)
3. Jose Dore, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, 6-3, 2 RBI)
4. Wilfredo Petit, C: 2-3 (F-7, 2B, 1B)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-3, 3-1)
6. Neftali Rosario, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-8, K)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, 2B, P-5, R)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, F-9, 5-3)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 51 pitches (36 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. David Villegas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Armando Rivero: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 65 pitches (36 strikes), 5/4 GO/FO
3. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (throwing error allowed baseruner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Neftali Rosario - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS
Arizona Phil 21 min 36 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 1 hour 49 min ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 2 hours 26 min ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 2 hours 34 min ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 2 hours 51 min ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 2 hours 56 min ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.
Cubster 3 hours 2 min ago (view)
On the bright side regarding Kimbrel. It doesn't have the lasting bad side as the Mets arrangement with Bobby Bonilla. Unless they want to re-negotiate Kimbrel's terms.
Eric S 4 hours 29 min ago (view)
Watching the last night's highlight clip was not encouraging either as discussed here: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/08/craig-kimbrels-intrasquad-performance-is-a-reminder-of-the-concerns-that-already-existed/
crunch 9 hours 4 min ago (view)
i still can't believe this front office paid anyone 16m a year to throw 60-70ip...
Eric S 18 hours 29 min ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 18 hours 55 min ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 21 hours 35 min ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 21 hours 38 min ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "
crunch 21 hours 38 min ago (view)
anthony rizzo is in mid-season form.
he sat out today with lower back tightness.
BobbyD 23 hours 2 min ago (view)
Well, back in February (I think; that was about 17 years ago now), our diaper staining commander in his own mind declared we had 15 cases in the U.S. and that would quickly go to zero. 130k dead and rapidly rising now 4 months later I still have brain dead neighbors in SoCal saying if Biden gets elected we're screwed. I wonder what they think screwed looks like.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.
8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.