Cub Power on Display in Maryvale
Jose Paniagua belted a solo home run, singled twice, walked, and scored three runs, Isaac Paredes doubled twice, singled, drove-in two runs, and scored three more, Marcus Mastrobuoni belted an RBI triple and a single, walked, and scored three runs, Yeiler Peguero drilled an RBI single and a two-run double, Vimael Machin collected three singles, a walk, and an RBI, Roberto Garcia ripped two doubles, scored a run, and drove-in another, and four pitchers combined to fan 17 opposing batters, helping the Cubs demolish the Brewers 15-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #7 (AKA "Paul Molitor Field") at the Maryvale Baseball Park Complex in Phoenix, AZ.
Nicolas Pierre (RBI triple), Gilbert Lara (RBI double), and Yeraldy Martinez (RBI single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd that gave the Brew Crew a short-lived 4-1 lead, before the Cubs scored the final 14 runs of the game.
The game was called by mutual consent after 8-1/2 innings of play.
Through today's Cactus League EXST game, the Cubs are 23-12-5.
But did you know?...
1. SS-2B Yeiler Peguero is hitting 377/421/528 with only two strikeouts in 57 PA (including 50 consecutive PA without a strikeout 4/17 - 5/20);
2. SS (now 3B) Isaac Paredes is hitting 306/370/551 (9% K-rate) with a team-leading 16 RBI in just 16 games played;
3. 1B Jose Paniagua is hitting 326/356/721 (11% K-rate) with a team-leading five HR (all five HR plus ten RBI in his last eleven games);
4. C-1B Marcus Mastrobuoni is hitting a team-leading 483/595/828 (5% K-rate) and is tied for the team-lead in doubles with five;
5. OF Kevonte Mitchell is hitting 277/438/426 (17% K-rate - 22% walk-rate) in 64 PA with a team-leading 14 walks and 15 runs scored and is tied for second in stolen bases with five;
6. CF D. J. Wilson is hitting only 200/284/338 (15% K-rate) in 74 PA but he is hitting 281/343/500 over his last ten games (35 PA), and he leads the team in triples with four and in stolen bases with six,
7. 1B (ex-LHP) Chris Pieters is hitting 327/414/429 (8% K-rate - 12% walk-rate) in 17 games (58 PA) and is tied for second in SB with Mitchell,
8. 3B Wladimir Galindo is hitting 300/345/400 (25% K-rate) in 55 PA and is tied for the team-lead in doubles with Mastrobuoni;
9. 3B-2B-SS Vimael Machin is hitting 324/600/432 (5% K-rate - 30% walk-rate) in 16 games (40 PA), and
10. SS-2B-3B Andruw Monasterio is hitting 333/367/400 (14% K-rate) in 15 games (49 PA).
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 2-6 (K, 4-3, P-6, 2B, 2B, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-5 (4-3, L-9, 1B, K, FC+E1, R)
3. Roberto Caro, RF: 1-5 (1B, 4-3, K, K, F-7)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 3-4 (1B, BB, 1B, HR, 6-3, 3 R, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, 3B: 3-5 (L-6, 1B, 2B, E-5, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
6a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 3 R, 2 RBI)
6b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-2 (6-4 FC, 2B, R, RBI)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, L-7, BB, RBI)
8. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH #1: 0-5 (F-9, K, E-4, F-9, 5-4 FC, R)
9. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-4 (1-3 SH, 5-4 FC, 4-3, E-1, 3-U, 2 R, RBI, SB)
10. Yeiler Peguero, DH #2: 2-5 (4-3, 1B, F-8, 4-3, 2B, 3 RBI, CS)
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 59 pitches (44 strikes)
2. M. T. Minacci: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
LF Ruben Reyes: E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
bradsbeard 1 hour 17 min ago (view)
Arizona Phil, some folks (mostly me!) were wondering if you had any thoughts/info on Luis Devers, who seems to be having a nice ACL season despite being a bit old for the level. Got touched for a HR last night but hadn't given up multiple runs in a start before then and has struck out a healthy number of batters while limiting walks. Many thanks in advance!
Hagsag 6 hours 16 min ago (view)
Rizzo wasn't a cancer, he HAD cancer!
Arizona Phil 9 hours 45 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released AAA Iowa C-INF Tony Wolters so that he can sign a minor league deal with a contending club (if the opportunity presents itself).
Because he was outrighted earlier this season he was not eligible to be traded after 7/30, even though he was on a minor league reserve list and (generally speaking) a player on a minor league reserve list can be traded up until one week prior to the scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 18 min ago (view)
So #11 (Ziehl), #12 (Banks), and #19 (Avitia) were the only three 2021 Cubs draft picks who did not sign.
crunch 13 hours 56 min ago (view)
similar story, similar quotes, different site/author
QuietMan 14 hours 17 min ago (view)
Cubs: Jed Hoyer clarifies comments about extension talks with former core players - Marquee Sports Network
Sorry I'm having trouble posting the link.
@TonyAndracki23 with the story.
Wrigley Rat 15 hours 29 min ago (view)
Second contract player Michael Arias, a former infielder-turned-pitcher, made his Cubs system debut today in relief. 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB for DSL Cubs Blue.
Charlie 19 hours 44 min ago (view)
A GM or owner saying a player "didn't want to sign" or "didn't want to negotiate" should always be read as "we didn't want to pay them."
That said, a GM or owner can always show more finesse by saying, "I hope we can have productive talks this offseason" or something along those lines. Seems like Jed is trying to burn those bridges.
crunch 19 hours 57 min ago (view)
while not known as a clubhouse cancer, there's more than a few stories about his "leadership qualities" lacking or otherwise being a bit of a jerk at points in time. they're mostly rumor, and none of the rumors are awful...
reminded a bit of this justin wilson/rizzo exchange back in 2018...
videographer 20 hours 30 min ago (view)
/With all the player movement in the last week, I wonder if the Cubs are now 85% compliant for vaccinated players. We know Sogard and Rizzo were not vaccinated and I can assume the players taking their place of the 40 man roster are vaccinated. It will be an interesting story going forward when all trade noise settles down.
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 25 min ago (view)
Agreed on every point. I think Jed is trying to create "his" team, a fully separate entity than Theo. Probably targeting 2023 or 2024 to return to actual contention.
He absolutely shouldn't have aired that out. He ends up looking like the bad guy. This is a good way to burn those bridges.
crunch 22 hours 54 min ago (view)
jed shouldn't have aired things out so blatently, even if true.
"I don't know why guys didn't want to sign. I don't know why guys didn't want to even counteroffer, oftentimes. Every one of these guys would say they wanted to stay in Chicago, 'we wanted to be a Cub,' but then we would sit down and do negotiations, that wasn't how they acted."
...dude, no. keep that to yourself.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 6 min ago (view)
After the feel-good videos and goodbyes, Jed decided to say the players didn't seem to want to negotiate and place blame at their feet. Rizzo responded today, basically saying "wtf man, shut up, that's a lie."
I haven't really blamed Jed for much of this as I feel mgmt forced his hand but this... definitely a misstep Jed. And it also makes me wonder, the next core, if they don't want to sign below market extensions, are we gonna see a similar tear down?
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
yeah. i think it would have worked better if they weren't local boys. better sell on having a built in "friend" in a new, far away place. still not a bad move for an incentive, though...
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Was clearly just a signing as an incentive to sign his brother
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
david can go ahead and not sign with the cubs if he wishes.
there is absolutely nothing about his game that looks like he could even play A-ball. his low-division college game is weak and his summer league wood bat game is abysmal.