Hudson Stifles Giants, While Giants Hey! Hey! Cubs
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled four innings of shutout ball and Edgar Rondon belted a two-run double, helping the Cubs defeat the Giants 3-1 on Field #2, and Cody Brickhouse drove-in four runs with a two-run double and a two-run single, John Riley knocked-in three runs with an RBI double, an RBI single, and a sacrifice fly, and Robbie Garvey reached base four times (three singles and a walk), stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in another, as the Giants battered the Cubs 11-3 on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action Wednesday morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
D. J. Wilson tripled, walked twice, stole a base, and scored a run in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #1.
The game on Field #1 was called by mutual consent after 6-1/2 innings of play, and the game on Field #2 was called after 7-1/2 innings.
Bryan Hudson combined 2016 Cactus League EXST line (thru 5/25):
2.70 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .246 OppBA
20.0 IP, 17 H, 7 R (6 ER), 5 BB, 19 K, 1 HBP, 0 HR, 1 WP, 3 GIDP, 25/8 GO/AO, 290 pitches (62% strikes), 14.5 PITCHES-PER-INNING
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3 DP, 1-4 SH, 3-U)
2. Edgar Rondon, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 3-1, 2B, 2 RBI)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 0-3 (F-9, K, K)
4. Jose Paniagua, DH #2: 1-3 (3B, F-8, L-9, R)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 4-3)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-5, RBI, CS)
7. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-3 (1B, F-7, 5-3)
8. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (K, L-5, P-3)
9. Michael Foster, LF: 1-2 (P-4, 1B, BB, R)
10. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 3-6 FC, R)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 GIDP, 6/0 GO/AO, 50 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Nick Sarianides: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (15 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 0
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Robert Garcia - runner thrown out 9-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on ground single to RF
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (3B, BB, BB, F-7, R, SB, CS)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 1B)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-3 (K, BB, K, K, R)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-4 (K+WP, F-9, K, K)
5. Kevin Zamudio, C-DH: 1-4 (L-7, 2B, K, K, R, RBI)
6. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-7, PO)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B)
8. Tyler Payne, DH-C: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 1B)
9. Yohan Matos, DH #2: 0-3 (P-3, P-3, P-6)
10. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 4-6 FC)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Erling Moreno: 2.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 65 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Luis Aquino: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 25 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 45 pitches (31 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Ricardo Marcano - runner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on line single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
bradsbeard 2 hours 26 min ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?
Cubster 5 hours 6 min ago (view)
Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/
Cubster 5 hours 20 min ago (view)
Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...
CubsCentral08 2 days 53 min ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.
Cubster 5 days 10 hours ago (view)
Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.
crunch 5 days 22 hours ago (view)
meeting on thursday. hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.
crunch 1 week 22 hours ago (view)
yanks low-A naming rachel balkovec as manager. first female manager in the minors.
she was also the first female strength/conditioning coach and hitting coach in rookie leagues for the yanks.
crunch 1 week 3 days ago (view)
"Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is preparing new economic proposals to present to the MLBPA, "likely this month.""
tim815 1 week 4 days ago (view)
As best as I understand, there are the 4 full-season levels with only one affiliate per organization at each level, and the compound league. Toss in the DSL, and that's it. If a team wants and can accommodate a second (or third) Compound League team, that's a decision for "later than January".
Wrigley Rat 1 week 6 days ago (view)
AZ Phil or others - Are major league teams allowed to announce new minor league affiliates for 2022 during this lockout? I ask because there was some discussion about possibly adding a short season league team for next year. Are clubs even allowed to have a 5th non-rookie league team? With all the players jammed up at the A level, it seems like it would be smart to add an additional team for them and this year's incoming draft picks. Of course, they could always just keep two Arizona teams going and it would probably be just fine. Just wondering - thanks and Happy New Year!
crunch 1 week 6 days ago (view)
cameron maybin is retiring, which saves the cubs from once again obtaining or attempting to obtain cameron maybin.
2022 looking good so far.
Cubster 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Welcome to 2022.
First news of the year: The Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks have reached a deal with Tyler Chatwalk! Hope they have a bigger strike zone there.