A's Feel the Payne as Cubs Score Late & Often
Tyler Payne belted a two-run double and scored in a three-run 6th and Aramis Ademan and Wladimir Galindo stroked two singles a piece and each scored a run in a three-run 7th, leading the Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action Friday morning at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
Miguel Mercedes drilled two RBI singles to account for both of the A's runs.
The game was called by mutual consent after 7-1/2 innings of play.
LHRP Jack Leathersich (July 2015 TJS) saw his first game action of 2016 but had difficulty locating home plate (17 pitches - only 6 strikes), walking two while recording two outs (F-8 and 4-3) before being relieved. Leathersich was claimed off waivers from the Mets in November and then was non-tendered by the Cubs on December 2nd, before signing a 2016 minor league contract with the Cubs. Leathersich has been rehabbing at the Cubs UAPC at Riverview Park since February, and the Cubs hope he will be able to help the big club's bullpen sometime later in the year (once his rehab is complete).
RHSP Jesus Camargo (2014 IFA - Mexico) also saw his first game action of 2016, relieving Leathersich and retiring all three hitters he faced on an F-7 and two strikeouts (both swinging). Camargo probably has the best change-up in the Cubs system and was the workhorse of the AZL Cubs starting rotation in 2015, and he would have been a strong contender for a starting gig at Eugene in 2016, too, if he had been able to compete with the others (Cease, Hudson, Paulino, Silverio, J. Castillo, Moreno, and M. Rondon) from the gitgo. Camargo still might eventually win a slot in the Eugene starting rotation, but time is short and he is far behind the other candidates. I would think he will probably begin the short-season back at AZL Cubs and work his innings and pitch count up to where it needs to be for a starting pitcher.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Pedro Araujo has been moved-up to South Bend (Araujo was one of the last three pitchers cut from the South Bend roster at the end of Minor League Camp).
Pedro Araujo combined 2016 Cactus League EXST line (thru 5/26):
1.93 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .226 OppBA
14.0 IP, 12 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 21 K, 9/11 GO/AO, 181 pitches (73% strikes), 12.9 PITCHES-PER-INNING
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (1B, F-9 SF, HBP, 3-U, RBI)
2a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-2 (6-3, K)
2b. Aramis Ademan, PH-SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (4-3, BB, K, 1B, R)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-4 (F-9, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, PO)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, HBP, R, RBI)
6. Gustavo Polanco, DH-C: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, R)
7. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 2-4 (F-7, 4-3, 2B, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-3 (3-U, F-8, 1B, BB)
9a. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-1 (BB, P-6, R, SB)
9b. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 1-1 (L-9 SF, 1B, RBI)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH #2: 0-2 (HBP, 5-3, BB, 6-4 FC)
1. Jack Leathersich: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (5 strikes)
2. Jesus Camargo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Pedro Silverio: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 63 pitches (41 strikes)
4. Nick Sarianides: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 2B Yonathan Perlaza: E-4 (missed catch on attempted 5-4 FC allowed runner to arrive safely at 2nd base)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's