Pierce Johnson Sharp at Sloan Park
RHSP Pierce Johnson (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL since May 5th retro to 5/3 with a lat strain) hurled three innings (30 pitches - 83% strikes) of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts, Jose Paniagua belted an RBI double and two singles and scored a run, and Marcus Mastrobuoni hammered a triple and a single and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the Rockies at Sloan Park, and LHSP Manny Rondon (acquired from LAA last July for C Rafael Lopez) tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball with ten strikeouts, Chris Pieters (ex-LHP) ripped two two-run doubles (four RBI total), and Andruw Monasterio drilled an RBI single, walked twice, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the Rockies 5-2 on Field #1 at the Riverview Park Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
Alex Castellanos (ex-LAD) slugged a solo HR for the Rockies at Sloan Park.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-5 (K, K, 3-U, F-9, K)
2. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 0-4 (5-3, L-6, K, F-8)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, K, R, SB)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 6-3, BB, R)
6. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #1: 2-4 (1-3, 5-4-3 DP, 3B, 1B, 2 R)
7. Alberto Mineo, C-DH: 0-1 (3-1, BB, F-8 SF, BB, RBI, PO)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 3-U, K, 2 R, SB)
9. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-1 (BB, L-7 SF, BB, K, RBI)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pierce Johnson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 30 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/AO, 29 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
RIVERVIEW PARK BASEBALL COMPLEX - FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (HBP, P-6, 2B, L-6, 2 R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, 2 R, RBI, CS)
3. Chris Pieters, DH-1B: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 4 RBI, CS)
4. Waldimir Galindo, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, K)
5. Alex Bautista, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, BB, F-9)
6a. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-2 (P-3, 6-3 DP)
6b. Tyler Payne, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Kevin Zamudio, 1B-C: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Yohan Matos, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3)
9. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-2 (E-4, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R, PO)
10. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (3-U, 1-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 60 pitches (41 strikes)
2. Enrique de los Rios: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. M. T. Minacci: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-4-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
ATTENDANCE: 29 (combined both games - some spectators went back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 16 hours 41 min ago (view)
cubs trade for travis lakins for a PTBNL or cash considerations from the rsox.
Charlie 21 hours 20 min ago (view)
I mean, the "overrated" criticism is always more about other people deserving of the honor being snubbed or put through more rigamarole. Jeter was definitely a great player for a long time. I just want people to remember that guys like Scott Rolen are not 60% less deserving, as the current voting system seems to indicate.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
speaking of the HOF...
schilling had a nice bump in his 8th eligable year going from 60.9% to 70.0%. he's probably gonna get in next year...and if not for his abrasive personality and questionable interests outside of baseball he would probably already be in. he's good enough to be there based on performance alone.
fellow 8th year guys bonds and clemens held steady, going up around 1% point to 60%-ish range. they may or may not get some love entering their 9th or 10th years.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
m.ozuna signs with the braves 1/18m.
he was expected to sign for similar pay over a number of years. the cards must be "wtf?" about him walking away from the 17.8m qualifying offer, though. at least they get a draft pick out of it.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
5x gold glove...and earned 0 of them.
whatever. hell of a hitter, and he played SS "good enough" to not embarass himself or the team.
but yeah, overrated even if he's a no-doubt 1st ballot hall of famer...which seems like an odd thing to say even if it's true (at least in the eyes of many).
Charlie 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
That's a significant boost for being the face of the Yankees. Expected, but in retrospect he wasn't that much better than plenty of people who didn't have full support for the hall (Santo comes to mind).
*Tries to start an "over-rated" chant.*
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
d.jeter and l.walker (10th and final year on ballot, 76.6%) are going to the HOF.
jeter got 99.75% of the vote...highest for a position player (griffey jr 99.32% 2016). m.rivera got 100% last year.
larry walker decided to dress up for his first post-election interview. class act.
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
nice. i love seeing the undrafted who still try to make a career get a shot.
it seems he's somewhat recently hit 97mph on his fastball which helped attract some interest.
good luck to the dude.
Arizona Phil 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released eight players from their Dominican Academy: RHRP Donato Auguste, RHRP Marco Encarnacion, RHRP Rodrigo Garcia, RHRP Francisco Gracia, LHRP Anderson Parra, RHRP Willians Vasquez, 1B Jeinser Brete, and OF Kevin Miranda.
Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Rex Brothers has one minor league option left and Article XX-D status (so he can elect free-agency if outrighted) if he were to be added to the Cubs MLB 40-man roster at some point in 2020.
Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
RHSP Max Bain (contract acquired by Cubs from Utica Unicorns of USPBL last week) minor league UPC has not yet been filed with MLB.
Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
The Josh Phegley, Bryan Brickhouse, Rex Brothers, Juan Gamez, and Caleb Simpson minor league contracts have been filed with MLB, but the Tyler Olson and Jason Adam contracts are still pending.
Arizona Phil 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed LHRP Rex Brothers (ex COL, ex-ATL), RHRP Bryan Brickhouse, RHRP Juan Gamez (pitched in Mexican League in 2019), and RHRP Caleb Simpson to minor l;eague contracts, and Brothers is the only one of the four likely receive an NRI to Cubs MLB Spring Training.
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
""There’s a lot of disrespect from people there that I don’t want to be a part of," Arenado said. "You can quote that." Arenado added, "You ask what I thought of Jeff’s quotes and I say I don’t care what people say around there. There is a lot of disrespect."
The third baseman didn't want to elaborate on what he felt was disrespectful, but clearing the relationship between Arenado and the front office needs to be repaired."
crunch 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
some good news...or bad news depending on how you feel about it...for the k.bryant trade market...
"Rockies general manager Jeff Bridich on Monday indicated that Nolan Arenado will not be dealt prior to spring training and trade talks involving the third baseman are off for now."
now MLB and crew need to decide whether bryant has an extra year of club control or not...still waiting...
rangers, braves, and nats are supposedly looking at 3rd base upgrades. cards are, too, but bryant to the cards would be a mutiny level trade decision.
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
"Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports that the Marlins, Cubs, Rangers, and Brewers are "believed to be among the teams with some interest" in free agent reliever Pedro Strop.
Nicholson-Smith on Sunday that Strop had three offers in-hand (two from NL clubs and one from an AL club) and will likely make his decision soon."