Pierce Johnson Sharp at Sloan Park
RHSP Pierce Johnson (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL since May 5th retro to 5/3 with a lat strain) hurled three innings (30 pitches - 83% strikes) of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts, Jose Paniagua belted an RBI double and two singles and scored a run, and Marcus Mastrobuoni hammered a triple and a single and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the Rockies at Sloan Park, and LHSP Manny Rondon (acquired from LAA last July for C Rafael Lopez) tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball with ten strikeouts, Chris Pieters (ex-LHP) ripped two two-run doubles (four RBI total), and Andruw Monasterio drilled an RBI single, walked twice, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the Rockies 5-2 on Field #1 at the Riverview Park Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
Alex Castellanos (ex-LAD) slugged a solo HR for the Rockies at Sloan Park.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-5 (K, K, 3-U, F-9, K)
2. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 0-4 (5-3, L-6, K, F-8)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, K, R, SB)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 6-3, BB, R)
6. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #1: 2-4 (1-3, 5-4-3 DP, 3B, 1B, 2 R)
7. Alberto Mineo, C-DH: 0-1 (3-1, BB, F-8 SF, BB, RBI, PO)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 3-U, K, 2 R, SB)
9. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-1 (BB, L-7 SF, BB, K, RBI)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-4 FC, BB, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pierce Johnson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 30 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/AO, 29 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
RIVERVIEW PARK BASEBALL COMPLEX - FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (HBP, P-6, 2B, L-6, 2 R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, 2 R, RBI, CS)
3. Chris Pieters, DH-1B: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 4 RBI, CS)
4. Waldimir Galindo, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, K)
5. Alex Bautista, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, BB, F-9)
6a. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-2 (P-3, 6-3 DP)
6b. Tyler Payne, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Kevin Zamudio, 1B-C: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Yohan Matos, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3)
9. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-2 (E-4, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R, PO)
10. Luis Ayala, RF: 0-3 (3-U, 1-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 60 pitches (41 strikes)
2. Enrique de los Rios: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. M. T. Minacci: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Chris Pieters - thrown out 8-4-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
ATTENDANCE: 29 (combined both games - some spectators went back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 2 hours 12 min ago (view)
it screws up stats. i know you play for wins/losses, but real money is on the line for players and makes agent/player homework selling their client a bit harder.
it also makes historical comparisons difficult.
the amount of time i've seen a fresh inning starting out...bunt guy to 3rd for an out, IBB, IBB is too high. what would amount to a leadoff single following that can easily turn into 2 runs (1 earned) with guys on the corner...which usually leads to another IBB.
Charlie 3 hours 17 min ago (view)
Jay Jaffe has a timely argument against the runner on second rule over at fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-runner-on-second-i...
I still don't know why we don't just have ties. Obviously, the Cubs could have dodged most of these situations by simply hitting a little bit during the regulation innings.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 2 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed free-agent RHSP Adrian Sampson to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa, and RHP Michael McAvene, LHP Jack Patterson, and OF Donnie Dewees have been placed on the 60-day IL to open up slots for Sampson, Trayce Thompson, and Kyle Ryan on the Cubs minor league 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
crunch 6 hours 27 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
2-game sweep, 2 games under .500
crunch 6 hours 53 min ago (view)
stumbled onto this today...clip from a 2019 ESPN broadcast game with boog, chipper jones, and david ross in the booth...
boog used to call games for ATL, btw...
tim815 9 hours 22 min ago (view)
Someone on social media was floating Yoelqui Cespedes to the Cubs in a Bryant trade.
I was clueless if it was permitted. It is.
Wrigley Rat 20 hours 23 min ago (view)
The Cubs have traded for outfielder Trayce Thompson, who was with the Diamondbacks at Triple-A, but is formerly of the big league White Sox, Dodgers, and A’s. The Diamondbacks are getting cash in the deal, which is a reflection of the reality that Thompson, 30, is a depth outfielder at this point in his career. Thompson is the younger brother of NBA star Klay Thompson. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/05/11/cub...
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
i'd like to point out ross feels more comfortable with j.pederson and k.bryant in CF over j.heyward.
watching heyward not just look human in the OF, but having a bit of a hard time is rough. he's just not getting to stuff like he used to.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
bryant out of the game for no apparent reason...that...doesn't seem good...
he's "under the weather" according the clubhouse. that's better than screwed up oblique or similar, at least.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
this shane bieber guy kinda sucks. 1 run in, bases loaded 0 outs.
i hope 4-5 innings of alzolay and the 5 pen guys after him hold it down.
...hey wow, bases loaded 0 out turns into 0 runs...very cubs.
George Altman 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Baseball wants more offense, fans want more action -- limit pitching staffs to 12, ideally transition to 11 over a 3 year period.
Teams are asking RPs to throw only 45 pitches a week. Think about that.
SPs who throw 175 IP/Yr will be museum pieces in 5 years.
It's not shifts. Oh....and electronic Strike zones as soon as possible.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
given that the starters are on pace to pitch around 150 innings this year they might need the zillion relievers.
i'm under the impression that d.ross got a new Fitbit exercise tracker prior to the season and likes to have excuses to walk to the mound for higher step counts. i'm going with this theory until proved otherwise.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
I get that 40 man rosters are complicated, but now we have 10 GD relievers and 3 bench guys, one of whom is an obviously injured Javy.
I can't wait until they reinstate the 13 pitchers maximum rule.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
baez (again) a late scratch because back ouchies.
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
OF Jake Marisnick to 10-DAY IL, and Cubs recall LHRP Brad Wieck.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Prior to last season, Rule 4 Competitive Balance Draft picks could be traded in advance of the draft (the window beginning on December 2nd and extending up until two hours prior to the start of the draft), although the pick could not be sold for cash, the pick itself could not be the PTBNL in a trade, and once traded the pick could not be flipped to a third team.
However, there is presently a moratorium on trading Competitive Balance picks that extends through the conclusion of the 2021 draft, so right now no draft picks may be traded.