Cubs Evict Dem Bums & Flatbush Refugees from Riverview Park

Henderson Perez collected four singles and an RBI and scored a run (his second four-hit game in the last two weeks), Gustavo Polanco belted an RBI triple and two singles, Kwangmin Kwon singled, doubled, stole a base, and scored a run, Jose A. Gonzalez clubbed a game-tying opposite-field solo HR, and Christopher Morel laced two RBI singles (second one proved to be the game-winner), as the Cubs scored four runs over the final three innings to edge the Dodgers 6-5 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training Memorial Day game action on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

Jacob Amaya drilled a solo HR and an RBI single and Jeremy Arocho singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored a run for the Dodgers in a losing cause.

The game was called after eight innings of play.

Prior to the game on Field #5, LHP Justin Steele (three innings - 45 pitches), RHP Yunior Perez (two innings - 30 pitches), and RHP Hector Alonso Garcia (one inning - 20 pitches) squared-off in a three-inning "sim" game on Field #4. Steele threw a breaking ball for the first time since his July 2017 TJS.

Here is the abridged box score from the Cactus League game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-3 (4-3, BB, F-8, F-8, BB, 2 R, SB)
2. Jonathan Soto, DH #1: 0-3 (L-4, P-2, BB, P-5, HBP)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 4-5 (4-3, 1B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Christopher Morel, 3B: 2-5 (K, 1B, 5-3 DP, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
5. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 3-5 (K, 1B, 1B, 3B, K, RBI)
6. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, F-7, K)
7. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, E-6, K, R, SB)
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (4-6 FC, BB, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
9. Ramsey Romano, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, 6-4 FC, 1B, P-5, R, RBI)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 0-3 (F-9, BB, 4-3, F-7)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Jeremiah Estrada: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 3/3 GO/AO, 55 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Peyton Remy: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 39 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Luis Silva: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 1
LF Jose A. Gonzalez: E-7 (fielding error on line-drive single to LF allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS, 1 PB

ATTENDANCE: 19

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

7ip 4h 0bb 3k, 2 r/er for d.underwood (AAA) today.  the more he turns in performances where he's not getting hit a lot, the more people will pay attention.

• Hagsag 2 hours 35 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 14 hours 26 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 19 hours 41 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 2 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 13 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 13 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 14 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.

• Sonicwind75 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site.  I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s.  Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter.  I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.