Denorfia Continues Rehab at Riverview Park
Robert Garcia slugged a solo HR and RHSP Austyn Willis hurled four innings of shutout ball for the Cubs, and RHSP Chris Johnson tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball for the Giants, as the Cubs & Giants played to a 1-1 tie on Field #6, and 1B Nick Jones belted an RBI double and singled twice and Byron Murray drilled an RBI double, walked twice, and scored two runs, leading the Giants to a 9-3 victory over the Cubs on Field #5, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Frandy de la Rosa slugged a two-run HR for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #5.
The game on Field #5 was called after eight innings of play, and the game on Field #6 was called after seven innings.
Chris Denorfia (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - hamstring strain) played LF for four innings and batted four times for the Cubs squad on Field #6. He walked on a 3-1 pitch his first time up, struck out swinging on three pitches in his second Plate Appearance, lined a double into the LF corner on a 3-0 pitch his third time up, and flied out to right in his fourth and final AB.
Shawon Dunston Jr (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder injury) saw his first game action in more than a month, serving as a DH for the Cubs on Field #6. He went 0-3, striking out twice (both times swinging) and grounding back to the pitcher 1-3.
Prior to the Cactus League EXST doubleheader, RHP Marcelo Carreno (post-2013 shoulder surgery) and RHP Jesus Castillo squared-off in a two-inning "sim" game on Field #3.
In EXST Cubs medical news, RHP Yomar Morel has been diagnosed with a torn elbow UCL, and will be undergoing Tommy John Surgery next week. The 21-year old Morel will be the third Cub minor leaguer to undergo TJS this season, the other two being catcher Will Remillard (in March) and RHP Jose Rosario (in April).
Here are the abridged box scores from today's two Cactus League EXST games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF-DH: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-3, R, SB)
1b. Adonis Paula, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, 6-3 DP)
3. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-4 (F-9, L-8, 6-3, 1B)
4. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, K, 1B, R)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-4 (HR, F-8, K, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-3 (6-3, 1B, 1B)
7. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 3-1, 6-4 FC)
8. Jose Paniagua, DH-CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K)
9. Carlos Sepulveda, 3B: 1-3 (1B, K, 3-1)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/5 GO/FO, 62 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jordan Brink: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 2/2 GO/FO, 37 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 4
1. SS Ho-Young Son: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. C Tyler Alamo: E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. CF Kevonte Mitchell: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Chris Denorfia, LF: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, F-9)
NOTE: Denorfia batted 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-3 (K+WP, 6-3, HR, R, RBI)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, 1-3)
3. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (BB, 6-3, 1B)
4. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (1-2-3 DP 3-U, F-7)
5. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9)
7. Carlos Jimenez, 2B: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
8. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, CS)
9. Calvin Graves, DH-LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Austyn Willis: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/FO, 49 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 51 pitches (30 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Charlie 3 hours 26 min ago (view)
Honestly, Urias guessed wrong on that one. But he stilled managed to make contact despite being way out in front, so that breaker must have rolled.
Charlie 3 hours 28 min ago (view)
KB having a perfectly adequate KB stretch and it's a highlight. Sigh.
Chafin may be reconsidering that jalopie after being the man on the mound when the wheels fell off in this one.
crunch 4 hours 27 min ago (view)
i know we're only 10 games in and you can't get good numbers on that, but this is a full-team hitting slump aside from marisnick and his 12 PA.
no one on this team is this bad, but all of them doing it at once is crazy. bad ABs, tons of swings and misses, crap contact...
upon reflection (and another hit in the 9th) i need to give props to k.bryant...he's a 1-man show right now for the regulars.
Eric S 5 hours 15 min ago (view)
I can pause it for pinch hitting - otherwise I'm locked in as there's nothing else to see here
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 19 min ago (view)
Me too, Eric Sogard
Eric S 5 hours 25 min ago (view)
Well, Chafin ... not your night I guess ... looks like its time to catch up on the latest installment of Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 28 min ago (view)
It's kinda starting to feel like this team sucks? But yes this game definitely sucks.
crunch 5 hours 31 min ago (view)
justin steele warming...seems like his debut is on tap.
also, this game sucks.
Eric S 5 hours 33 min ago (view)
Luis Urias is not impressed 😩
crunch 8 hours 10 min ago (view)
steele, wieck, and strop called up.
btw, strop is a "replacement player" in this move and isn't subject to 40-man roster waiver rules
crunch 8 hours 37 min ago (view)
cubs covid...chris young tested positive. j.adam, d.winkler, and b.workman are now on the "injured list"
Charlie 9 hours 2 min ago (view)
Sorry that I couldn't access things for opening day and then got busy for the next couple series. Glad to have a baseball routine to share with you all again!
Sonicwind75 9 hours 33 min ago (view)
Guessing I'm a little late to the game on this; but just read Chafin's twitter about wanting to buy a cheap car to drive around Chicago. He seems like a good dude.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
RHSP Duncan Robinson (June 2019 TJS) has retired.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Rex Brothers and Tony Wolters reached five years of MLB Service Time this weekend, so Brothers now cannot be sent outright to the minors without his consent (he is out of minor league options) and Wolters (who has a minor league option left) now cannot be optioned or outrighted to the minors without his consent.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
It's not good to play bad teams early because they have the confidence and energy they won't have later in the season after they realize they suck and all is lost.