Cubs No Match for Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields

Jose Daniel Reyes collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in three, Jose Curpa belted two triples, scored two runs, and picked-up an RBI with a bases-loaded HBP, Jesus Marriaga tripled, singled, walked, and scored a run, Ryan January drilled a solo HR and a single, and walked and scored, and SP Luis Frias hurled four innings of one run / two-hit ball with seven strikeouts, as the Diamondbacks hammered the Cubs "A" team 8-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Wednesday morning on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.

Josue Huma walloped a solo HR and Oswaldo Pina smacked an RBI triple for the Cubs.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1a. Fernando Kelli, CF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB, CS)
1b. Orian Nunez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2a. Josue Huma, SS: 1-3 (HR, 5-4-3 DP, E-5, R, RBI)
2b. Yonathan Perlaza, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
3. Henderson Perez, DH-C: 0-3 (K, K, 1-3)
4. Alexander Guerra, C-DH: 0-3 (F-9, K, E-6, R)
5. Luis Diaz, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, K, K)
6. Oswaldo Pina, 2B: 1-3 (K, L-4. 3B, RBI)
7. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-6)
8. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
9a. Dalton Hurd, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
9b. Albert Hinirio, RF: 1-1 (1B)
10. Danny Zardon, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3 DP, F-9, K)

CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/2 GO/AO, 60 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/2 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Blake Whitney: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
4. Richard Gallardo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
5. Chi-Feng Lee: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)

CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. P Eduarniel Nunez: E-1 (overthrow to 1st base after fielding one-hop comebacker allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Benjamin Rodriguez: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. CF Fernando Kelli: E-8 (overthrow to 3rd base after fielding errant pick-off attempt allowed runner to score)
4. 3B Luis Diaz: E-5 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)

CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE
Alexander Guerra: 1-2 CS

ATTENDANCE: 31

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

Any idea who Edgar Gamargo is? mlb.com's website says this: "Chicago Cubs signed free agent C Edgar Gamargo to a minor league contract." Thanks!

My guess is an international free agent added wiith Pedro Araujo money.

cubs sign carlos gonzalez (cargo) to a minor league deal.

his swing is a lot slower than it was in his prime, but whatever

Cargo is a better option than Adduci or Zagunis.

no matter what anyone thinks of cargo's ability to still play at a MLB level, it's a low/no-risk addition.

it'll at least give the team a few weeks to expand and check their options before the trade deadline.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 4 min ago (view)

Cotton McKnight: In 23 years of broadcasting I thought I'd seen it all, folks. But it looks like Peter La Fleur has actually blindfolded himself.

Pepper Brooks: He will not be able to see very well, Cotton.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 6 min ago (view)

Yes! Exactly... I'd love to be able to watch coverages in football or just key-in on a great WR to watch them work.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 8 min ago (view)

Wow... this is the most engagement I have ever received on any topic on social media platform. Please stay tuned for my opinions on the Oxford Comma, the APA Style Manual for Academic Writing, and the auto-correct on my iPhone.

I am an awesome guy at parties....

• bradsbeard 14 hours 33 min ago (view)

I watched some of the Puerto Rican Winter League games that Miguel Amaya played in this winter. At least one broadcast had a super wide shot for balls in play that let you see the OF and the baserunners at the same time. It was awesome.

• Wrigley Rat 17 hours 39 min ago (view)

3 dots on this evening's Cubs-Dodgers game - makes sense & they do color in the 3rd dot as they're going to commericals (Spectrum Sportsnet).

• crunch 19 hours 52 min ago (view)

3 dot crew represent.  i didn't have an opinion, but now i'm 100% on board.

• Charlie 19 hours 59 min ago (view)

I agree on most of this, but I especially support three fillable dots for the outs--and fill in the third before cutting to a commercial!

Not doing homework on the players in a Spring Training broadcast is pretty forgiveable, but ESPN is really bad about it pretty much all year. It would be nice if they made a habit of picking up a local color commentator and sort of interviewing them throughout games.

• George Altman 1 day 3 min ago (view)

The single thing I want in a sports broadcast is to become smarter about the sport,  to learn something from the broadcast crew.

Stone does that, Romo does that, Eddie O on hockey, and that's about it. I watch sporting events with the sound down very low or off. I forgot more about baseball than most broadcasters will ever know, and I'm always shocked when I see something in a football game that the crew doesn't,  and I know about NOTHING about football.

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Also... what is with only having 2 dots as the outs counter? I know that you don't really need the 3rd dot, but I find it counter-intuitive. If the dots fill in, then only having 2 throws me off b/c it's natural to subitize "3" associated with outs. You quickly see 0/3, 1/3, 2/3.  If the graphic does not have fill-in dots, then just put the #.  eg - OUTS: 1  It's minimalism for the sake of minimalism, not graphic design for effective communication.

• crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

tight shots + insane amount of screen real estate being taken up with graphics is a bit of a plague...especially the ones with a non-stop bottom news ticker.

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

General comment on baseball broadcasting... I think that the color comentator (CC) needs to talk about 30% more & the PBP about 30% less. I would love a more stream of consciousness from the CC outlining what they would be looking for in a given situation. To that end, why not have 2 CC for national broadcasts - one a pitcher & one a position player. Would love for them to banter back & forth on micro strategy from their perspectives. I think this would turn the game's pauses between action into more of an asset.

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

brews sign j.bradley 2/24m...decent deal for a quality CF'r.  he can opt out of the 2nd year.

• crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

the national broadcasts on ESPN suffer badly from a lack of "homework" on the teams they're covering.

yesterday i heard more riffing between the announcers about each other more than the players.  the only thing that saved them from more of that and dead air was in-progress action and player interviews (too many player interviews, but it's spring so whatever).

• Hagsag 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Not impressed with ESPN's broadcast. I like Mendoza's work, but how many kids did we have to see rolling around the grass. Good day to see some young players ,but half the time you had no idea who was batting or pitching.

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

cubs game totally not a delay broadcast for ESPN...thanks for that gem heyward.

dunno if they'll be printing up any "You better have your shit in line" t-shirts, but it's as least as good as "Try not to suck"

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

Jason Adam is another who throws short arm. I don't think he was a position player, but maybe falls into the arm injury category?