Cubs No Match for Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields
Jose Daniel Reyes collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in three, Jose Curpa belted two triples, scored two runs, and picked-up an RBI with a bases-loaded HBP, Jesus Marriaga tripled, singled, walked, and scored a run, Ryan January drilled a solo HR and a single, and walked and scored, and SP Luis Frias hurled four innings of one run / two-hit ball with seven strikeouts, as the Diamondbacks hammered the Cubs "A" team 8-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Wednesday morning on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Josue Huma walloped a solo HR and Oswaldo Pina smacked an RBI triple for the Cubs.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1a. Fernando Kelli, CF: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, SB, CS)
1b. Orian Nunez, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2a. Josue Huma, SS: 1-3 (HR, 5-4-3 DP, E-5, R, RBI)
2b. Yonathan Perlaza, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
3. Henderson Perez, DH-C: 0-3 (K, K, 1-3)
4. Alexander Guerra, C-DH: 0-3 (F-9, K, E-6, R)
5. Luis Diaz, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, K, K)
6. Oswaldo Pina, 2B: 1-3 (K, L-4. 3B, RBI)
7. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-6)
8. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
9a. Dalton Hurd, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
9b. Albert Hinirio, RF: 1-1 (1B)
10. Danny Zardon, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3 DP, F-9, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/2 GO/AO, 60 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Benjamin Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/2 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Blake Whitney: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 3 pitches (2 strikes)
4. Richard Gallardo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
5. Chi-Feng Lee: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. P Eduarniel Nunez: E-1 (overthrow to 1st base after fielding one-hop comebacker allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Benjamin Rodriguez: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. CF Fernando Kelli: E-8 (overthrow to 3rd base after fielding errant pick-off attempt allowed runner to score)
4. 3B Luis Diaz: E-5 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 51 min 22 sec ago (view)
(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season
seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers. he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.
Charlie 1 hour 15 min ago (view)
This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.
crunch 20 hours 4 min ago (view)
wow...and he's done for the night. that's not good...well, for mets fans.
"right shoulder soreness"
crunch 20 hours 21 min ago (view)
meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings. he's also got a RBI single.
crunch 20 hours 59 min ago (view)
and d.smith gets HBP.
this is high end next level strategy. you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game. moneyballs.
crunch 21 hours 5 min ago (view)
ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.
Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.
This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.
Charlie 22 hours 22 min ago (view)
That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.
crunch 23 hours 4 min ago (view)
brews did the cubs a solid by losing before the cubs have to take on degrom.
crunch 1 day 23 min ago (view)
*laughs nervously looking over at craig kimbrel*
Jackstraw 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Guys who haven't been cheating don't need to change a thing.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
dude can barely move behind the plate these days. i wouldn't trust him to stop a passed ball or a wild pitch even with his advanced skill.
that said, all the cubs in-house options kinda suck.
hey d.ross, grab a glove and get to work.
Charlie 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Tyler Glasnow sprained his UCL and is pretty openly objecting to the MLB pushback on use of "sticky stuff," saying he thinks not using his "substance of choice," rosin and sunscreen, lead to his injury and will lead others to injury. I will be interested to hear a more open discourse on what pitchers use to get a grip on the ball, what will be permitted, and what adjustments pitchers will make.
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Time to sign Wilson Ramos.
Arizona Phil 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Beginning today (June 16th), post-2020 Article XX-B MLB free-agents who signed a 2021 MLB contract will no longer have an automatic "no trade" right, so Arrieta, Chafin, Marisnick, Pederson, and Romine can now be traded without restriction.