Slaughter Rules and Verdugo Goes Yard at EXST
Jake Slaughter drilled two singles (including a two-run single that put the "A" team on the board), walked, and scored a run, Herson Perez smacked an inside-the-park HR (ball bounced off fence and rolled into LF corner and Perez slid head-first into home just ahead of the tag), and SP Carlos Ocampo hurled four innings of shutout ball and combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the Cubs "A" team defeated the Cubs "B" team 8-1 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Luis Verdugo belted a solo HR to account for the lone "B" team run.
"B" team SP Didier Vargas retired the first nine batters he faced (6-3, K, L-9 * K, F-9, F-7 * K, K, 1-3) before running into trouble and surrendering two runs in the 4th on Slaughter's two-out two-run single.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 1-3, 2 SB)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 0-2 (F-9 DP, HBP, P-2)
4. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, HR, R, RBI, SB)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, P-3)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, BB, L-4)
8. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, E-6, CS)
9. Carlos Pacheco, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
10. Kevin Moreno, LF-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
11. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 1-4 (6-3, K, L-9, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Herson Perez, 2B-DH: 1-3 (K, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, L-7, R)
4. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-7, 1B, RBI)
6. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, BB, R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, C-DH: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
7b. Albert Hinirio, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
8, Ervis Marchan, 1B: 0-2 (K, SH-E1, 3-U)
9. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (1-3, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, HBP, 2 R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Didier Vargas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 3/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 57 pitches (30 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/AO, 58 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Omar Ventura: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Manuel Heredia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
P Alfredo Colorado: E-1 (fielding miscue on sacrifice bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd
2. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthrow on back-pick attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Fabian Pertuz: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-4 CS, 1 PB, 2 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner (Rochest Cruz) 9-2 after F-9
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 8 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have optioned RHP Robert Stock back to AAA Iowa, and recalled LHP Brad Wieck.
Arizona Phil 4 min 4 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHSP Mike Hauschild (ex-TOR) from Lexington (Atlantic League) and he has been asigned to AAA Iowa.
The Cubs are clearly beating the bushes of indepenent league baseball. Hauschild is the sixth player acquired by the Cubs from independent league teams in the last month (Jose Almonte, Tyler Ladendorf, Tim Susnara, Matt Warkentin, and Jarod Wright are the other five).
crunch 1 hour 34 min ago (view)
(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season
seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers. he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.
Charlie 1 hour 58 min ago (view)
This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.
crunch 20 hours 47 min ago (view)
wow...and he's done for the night. that's not good...well, for mets fans.
"right shoulder soreness"
crunch 21 hours 3 min ago (view)
meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings. he's also got a RBI single.
crunch 21 hours 42 min ago (view)
and d.smith gets HBP.
this is high end next level strategy. you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game. moneyballs.
crunch 21 hours 48 min ago (view)
ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 7 min ago (view)
CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.
Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.
This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.
Charlie 23 hours 5 min ago (view)
That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.
crunch 23 hours 46 min ago (view)
brews did the cubs a solid by losing before the cubs have to take on degrom.
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
*laughs nervously looking over at craig kimbrel*
Jackstraw 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Guys who haven't been cheating don't need to change a thing.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
dude can barely move behind the plate these days. i wouldn't trust him to stop a passed ball or a wild pitch even with his advanced skill.
that said, all the cubs in-house options kinda suck.
hey d.ross, grab a glove and get to work.
Charlie 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Tyler Glasnow sprained his UCL and is pretty openly objecting to the MLB pushback on use of "sticky stuff," saying he thinks not using his "substance of choice," rosin and sunscreen, lead to his injury and will lead others to injury. I will be interested to hear a more open discourse on what pitchers use to get a grip on the ball, what will be permitted, and what adjustments pitchers will make.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Time to sign Wilson Ramos.