Slaughter Rules and Verdugo Goes Yard at EXST
Jake Slaughter drilled two singles (including a two-run single that put the "A" team on the board), walked, and scored a run, Herson Perez smacked an inside-the-park HR (ball bounced off fence and rolled into LF corner and Perez slid head-first into home just ahead of the tag), and SP Carlos Ocampo hurled four innings of shutout ball and combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the Cubs "A" team defeated the Cubs "B" team 8-1 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Luis Verdugo belted a solo HR to account for the lone "B" team run.
"B" team SP Didier Vargas retired the first nine batters he faced (6-3, K, L-9 * K, F-9, F-7 * K, K, 1-3) before running into trouble and surrendering two runs in the 4th on Slaughter's two-out two-run single.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 1-3, 2 SB)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 0-2 (F-9 DP, HBP, P-2)
4. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, HR, R, RBI, SB)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, P-3)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, BB, L-4)
8. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, E-6, CS)
9. Carlos Pacheco, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
10. Kevin Moreno, LF-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
11. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 1-4 (6-3, K, L-9, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Herson Perez, 2B-DH: 1-3 (K, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, L-7, R)
4. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-7, 1B, RBI)
6. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, BB, R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, C-DH: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
7b. Albert Hinirio, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
8, Ervis Marchan, 1B: 0-2 (K, SH-E1, 3-U)
9. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (1-3, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, HBP, 2 R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Didier Vargas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 3/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 57 pitches (30 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/AO, 58 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Omar Ventura: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Manuel Heredia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
P Alfredo Colorado: E-1 (fielding miscue on sacrifice bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd
2. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthrow on back-pick attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Fabian Pertuz: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-4 CS, 1 PB, 2 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner (Rochest Cruz) 9-2 after F-9
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
tim815 16 hours 18 min ago (view)
The decision on the amount comes later.
bradsbeard 19 hours 14 min ago (view)
At the point when the team makes the initial contract tender, do they have to offer a specific salary, and if so is that the same number the team takes into arbitration? Or does the specific number the teams files at for arbitration happen at a later date?
Arizona Phil 22 hours 2 min ago (view)
jdrnym: A player who is signed to a contract that does not include a minor league split salary is paid his full MLB salary while optioned or after being outrighted to a minor league club.
So if a player goes to arbitration and is awarded (let's say) a $2.5M salary by the arb panel, the contract will not include a minor league split salary or performance bonuses, and if the player is sent to the minors he is paid the full $2.5M while in the minors.
Hagsag 23 hours 13 min ago (view)
Maybe Trump can give them a loan.
crunch 23 hours 14 min ago (view)
it's not exactly looking good when the cubs brass is complaining about "losing 100m in revenue" when a huge chunk of that seems to include Hotel Zachary. it looks like the entire "entertainment complex" is the cubs as far as the Ricketts are concerned...and the team might have to suffer a bit because they couldn't fully realize profits last year. they've publically stated that the big incoming tax credits from the city they're going to realize for stadium work won't help the cubs payroll.
jdrnym 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
If a player doesn't have a split salary in his contract, how much is he making when in the minors (or how is that salary determined)?
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
we want kyle schwarber to not be mark trumbo so badly...
either way, the NL having or not having the DH needs to be figured out pretty quickly for a lot of off-season sanity.
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
minor league hitting coordinator chris valaika moves up assistant hitting instructor for the big league team.
looks like a.iapoce's job is safe.
Cubster 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
Jed Hoyer gets a new 5 yr contract that runs through 2025 season.
Cubster 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
BA's list of 19 prospects who impressed at Instructs. One Cub:
Chase Strumpf, 2B, Cubs
Jackstraw 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
Waiting for Ryan Pace to be available. He should be a week from tomorrow.
crunch 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
i haven't even heard a rumor...which is interesting since "virtual" winter meetings start in a couple weeks.
surprised dan kantrovitz hasn't been named "interim GM" or something...which makes me wonder how wide of a net they're casting to fill the position. he was snagged from the A's and was an assistant GM there (and director of scouting for STL).
Cubster 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
As Jed is promoted to President of Baseball Ops, then when will be expect a formal announcement of who the "official" GM is?
crunch 3 days 19 hours ago (view)
there are currently 0 signed...so it's an untapped market ripe for picking the best of the best.
well, bill 'spaceman' lee is probably out there pitching for a low-level Cuban team being paid in weed or something similar.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 1 hour ago (view)
1970s pitchers are a market inefficiency
Arizona Phil 4 days 12 hours ago (view)
The "Big Three" Cubs first-time Rule 5 Draft-eligibles post-2021 will be RHSP Riley Thompson, 1B-LF Alfonso Rivas, and LHSP Jack Patterson (at least as far as things stand right now), so they will need to be scrutinized as much as possible during the course of the 2021 season (including at MLB Spring Training); That's why those three (in particular) need to get an NRI.