Slaughter Rules and Verdugo Goes Yard at EXST
Jake Slaughter drilled two singles (including a two-run single that put the "A" team on the board), walked, and scored a run, Herson Perez smacked an inside-the-park HR (ball bounced off fence and rolled into LF corner and Perez slid head-first into home just ahead of the tag), and SP Carlos Ocampo hurled four innings of shutout ball and combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the Cubs "A" team defeated the Cubs "B" team 8-1 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Luis Verdugo belted a solo HR to account for the lone "B" team run.
"B" team SP Didier Vargas retired the first nine batters he faced (6-3, K, L-9 * K, F-9, F-7 * K, K, 1-3) before running into trouble and surrendering two runs in the 4th on Slaughter's two-out two-run single.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 1-3, 2 SB)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 0-2 (F-9 DP, HBP, P-2)
4. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, HR, R, RBI, SB)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, P-3)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, BB, L-4)
8. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, E-6, CS)
9. Carlos Pacheco, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
10. Kevin Moreno, LF-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
11. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 1-4 (6-3, K, L-9, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Herson Perez, 2B-DH: 1-3 (K, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, L-7, R)
4. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-7, 1B, RBI)
6. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, BB, R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, C-DH: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
7b. Albert Hinirio, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
8, Ervis Marchan, 1B: 0-2 (K, SH-E1, 3-U)
9. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (1-3, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, HBP, 2 R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Didier Vargas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 3/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 57 pitches (30 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/AO, 58 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Omar Ventura: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Manuel Heredia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
P Alfredo Colorado: E-1 (fielding miscue on sacrifice bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd
2. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthrow on back-pick attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Fabian Pertuz: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-4 CS, 1 PB, 2 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner (Rochest Cruz) 9-2 after F-9
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
JustSayin' 14 hours 45 min ago (view)
I think what your saying applies to all franchises in all big-time team sports. The virus is asymptomatic in many carriers. The national positive test % rate is mid/high single digits. If your pro sports franchise does 3-4 x better than that, it still means some players and coaches will test positive and things will grind to a partial or complete halt. At least baseball didn't try to "bubble" in AZ and FL, which are looking like two of the worst (and worst-led) states in which to be located at the currrent stage of the pandemic.
crunch 15 hours 45 min ago (view)
rizzo took BP and did some field work today. also, almora is good to go...he ran into a wall on friday and got a little banged up.
Cubster 23 hours 4 min ago (view)
Aroldis Chapman is now Covid positive with mild symptoms
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
the COVID-Division should be fun.
teams from TX, AZ, CA, WA, and CO exclusively playing each other... CO is all "wtf, really?"
Cubster 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
...and so it goes (per Roto): Astros general manager James Click wrote in a statement that a member of the staff "was potentially exposed to a COVID-positive individual outside the organization.” The team is working with MLB and team doctors on testing protocol and cleaning before resuming workouts.
Does the visiting team bring a Covid positive bio-weapon to the player's parking lot?
Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
I've been wondering how this would proceed. Since teams will have to figure out how existing contracts will be paid, I thought there was a *chance* they would proceed with free agency as usual and plan for payment under potential shortened seasons would just be figured out in negotiations with the MLBPA. But that was probably an overly optimistic thought.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Meanwhile Theo shoots down any potential of extension talks. I get that it's a crazy time financially in baseball, but it's really gonna suck when all these players leave after 21 and 22.
Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
WSox Michael Kopech has opted out of 2020. I didn't see a disclosed reason yet but he is recovering from TJ S
crunch 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
buster posey (SF) opting out of 2020...recently adopted twin daughters who were born premature.
Cubster 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 4 days 15 hours ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.