Slaughter Rules and Verdugo Goes Yard at EXST
Jake Slaughter drilled two singles (including a two-run single that put the "A" team on the board), walked, and scored a run, Herson Perez smacked an inside-the-park HR (ball bounced off fence and rolled into LF corner and Perez slid head-first into home just ahead of the tag), and SP Carlos Ocampo hurled four innings of shutout ball and combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the Cubs "A" team defeated the Cubs "B" team 8-1 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Luis Verdugo belted a solo HR to account for the lone "B" team run.
"B" team SP Didier Vargas retired the first nine batters he faced (6-3, K, L-9 * K, F-9, F-7 * K, K, 1-3) before running into trouble and surrendering two runs in the 4th on Slaughter's two-out two-run single.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 1-3, 2 SB)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 0-2 (F-9 DP, HBP, P-2)
4. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, HR, R, RBI, SB)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, P-3)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, BB, L-4)
8. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, E-6, CS)
9. Carlos Pacheco, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
10. Kevin Moreno, LF-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
11. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 1-4 (6-3, K, L-9, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Herson Perez, 2B-DH: 1-3 (K, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, L-7, R)
4. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-7, 1B, RBI)
6. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, BB, R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, C-DH: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
7b. Albert Hinirio, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
8, Ervis Marchan, 1B: 0-2 (K, SH-E1, 3-U)
9. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (1-3, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, HBP, 2 R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Didier Vargas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 3/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 57 pitches (30 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/AO, 58 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Omar Ventura: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Manuel Heredia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
P Alfredo Colorado: E-1 (fielding miscue on sacrifice bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd
2. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthrow on back-pick attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Fabian Pertuz: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-4 CS, 1 PB, 2 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner (Rochest Cruz) 9-2 after F-9
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
jdrnym 3 hours 51 min ago (view)
AZPHIL, has there been official word as to whether the 26-man roster has been extended down to the minor league levels that previously had 25-man rosters? Can't really think of a reason why that shouldn't be the case...
Arizona Phil 8 hours 47 min ago (view)
Another possibility for a "26th man" in 2020 would be a young pitcher selected in the Rule 5 Draft who has big league upside but who is clearly not yet "big league ready," or a pitcher who is out of minor league options who might not be quite MLB ready.
Cubster 10 hours 53 min ago (view)
Just sign Rick Reuschel and lets move on
crunch 11 hours 35 min ago (view)
"Buster Olney of ESPN reports that Scott Kazmir will throw for MLB teams this week.
The 36-year-old Kazmir hasn't thrown in the majors since the 2016 season, but he recently told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he that he hit 90.9 mph with his fastball during a bullpen session."
someone put another bottle of left-in-the-car warm water under the cubs hot stove and let's get this one done! woo!
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
bryce harper ruined that bat dragging thing for everyone after his ejection years ago at the junior college world series.
also, hurrah for baseball making it's return.
JustSayin' 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
College ball started Saturday. Umpire egos in D1 baseball are not that much smaller than in the pros, so of course there was a controversy. In the late innings of a game in the weekend's biggest series (Michigan vs.
crunch 3 days 56 min ago (view)
the news is mostly based on a Baseball America article from the 11th (behind a paywall)...so the gist of it is rather legit rumor-wise, though it's still too far in the future to call it a 100% done deal.
btw, the cubs have been strongly linked to pursuing christian hernandez for quite a while. the BA writer that wrote the article about the cubs links has been following c.hernandez since he was a 14yo talent and is quite familiar with him. that signing probably is in the bag.
Wrigley Rat 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
I don't know much about this website, but they are speculating that the Cubs may sign two of the top International Free Agents available during this signing period: https://www.cubshq.com/print/news.do?id=16441&isNe... Does anyone know if this sounds legit?
Arizona Phil 4 days 7 hours ago (view)
Minnie Minoso was playing in the Mexican League (as a DH) at age 47 and Julio Franco was playing in the Mexican League (as a DH) at age 49, so Mexican League teams clearly do not have a problem with signing older players.
And of course the ageless Satchel Paige was still working as a SP in AAA (with the Miami Marlins) into his early 50's (and prior to that he pitched in MLB as late as age 46).
crunch 4 days 7 hours ago (view)
b.colon has signed to a mexican league team. woo old dudes. he turns 47 in may...believed by some to be older.
Cubster 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
Replacing someone like David DeJesus?
crunch 5 days 9 hours ago (view)
mark grace returns to chicago as an analyst/on-air-talent for Marquee.
he won't be part of the main game calling crew, but will be doing support content during games.
Eric S 5 days 12 hours ago (view)
Increasing levels of smoke concerning a possible Arenado/KB trade
Get Arenado to agree to push back his opt out a few years or so down the road and this could work out nicely for the Cubs
Arizona Phil 6 days 3 hours ago (view)
Jason Kipnis (like Brandon Morrow) was a post-2019 Article XX-B MLB free-agent who signed a 2020 minor league contract, so he gets a $100K retention bonus and an automatic June 1st player opt-out if he is not released by 12 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day prior to MLB Opening Day or added to an MLB 40-man roster or MLB 60-day IL by 12 PM (Eastern) on MLB Opening Day.
Arizona Phil 6 days 3 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed post-2019 second-contract minor league FA catcher Jordan Procyshen to a 2020 minor league contract and he has been assigned to AA Tennessee.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 days 5 hours ago (view)
Q could be subbed in for any of those too