Deep-Fried Snakes on Cubs Brunch Menu at Riverview Park
Alberto Mineo (a double and a run scored), Oliver Zapata (an RBI triple and a run scored), Jesse Hodges (an RBI double and a run scored), Kevin Brown (an RBI single and a run scored), and Rashad Crawford (RBI triple) sparked the Cubs to a four-run 2nd inning, Jeffrey Baez belted an RBI triple and a double and scored two runs, and Erick Leal threw five innings of one-run ball, as the Cubs hammered the Diamondbacks 8-2 on Field #5, and Trey Masek and four relievers combined to toss a six-hit shutout and Gleyber Torres singled twice, walked, and drove-in the game's only run, as the Cubs whitewashed the D'backs 1-0 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RF Eloy Jimenez has been assigned to the DSL Cubs.
The 17-year old Jimenez (last year's top-rated July 2 international free-agent) hit 238/270/357 in 24 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (89 PA), with 4/22 BB/K. one HR, five doubles, a triple, and a team-leading 16 RBI. He had a sore arm in Minor League Camp that limited him to DH duty-only until mid-April, and even then he only started eight EXST games in RF. No question his defense needs a lot of work.
But Jimenez caught fire at the plate on May 14th, hitting 360/385/640 over his final seven games (26 PA). He hit his only Cactus League EXST home run in what turned out to be his last EXST game (versus the Angels in Tempe this past Tuesday), when he drove-in four runs with a three-run HR and an RBI single.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, L-7, K, RBI, SB)
2. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 1B, BB, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-4 (K, 2B, 6-4 FC, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
5b. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI)
6a. Oliver Zapata, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
6b. Rony Rodriguez, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-7, 4-3, 5-3, R, RBI)
8. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 4-3, CS)
9. Giuseppe Papaccio, 2B: 0-4 (K, K, K, F-8)
10. Kevin Brown, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 2 PO, 4/4 GO/FO, 71 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Francisco Carrillo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 33 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-5 (6-3, F-7, 1B, 3-1, F-7)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS; 2-3 (6-3, 1B, 1B, BB, RBI, PO)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-4 (1B, 4-6 FC, 6-5 FC, F-9)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (K, HBP, BB, F-8)
5. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, 3-6-3 DP, K, 4-3)
6a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (P-6, K, F-8)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7a. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, 4-3, 6-3)
7b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. Antonio Valerio, DH: 1-2 (BB, F-8, 1B, R)
8b. Arnaldo Calero, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (4-3, 2-3, 4-3)
9b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/FO, 30 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 32 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 4/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 2-2 CS, 2 PO
WEATHER: Sunny and H-O-T with temperatures 100+
crunch 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
given what little we're supposed to expect out of this offseason that would have been a nice gamble.
at this point i wonder if they're going to snag someone to put in between the 2 current staff aces that throw 88mph on a good day, or if they're just gonna toss one of the kids in there to break up the slow-tossers.
i mean, there's gotta be something more than hendricks/davies/mills/alzolay/???...i hope.
springs 1 hour 38 min ago (view)
That sucks...I wanted to sign Q to a one year deal and see if he could right the ship. At a minimum I hoped we'd get a draft pick when he left as a free agent and thought we could roll the dice to try and get that. That trade....man.
crunch 5 hours 2 min ago (view)
bjays gave chatwood 3m.
do they not have scouts...or televisions you can watch games where he pitches?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Lame. He was intriguing
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
cubs release matt dermody...he's heading to japan.
Cubster 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
and they are including amusement tax, healthcare costs (Doc Adams doesn't come cheap!), social security and political donations to the City and the Governor of Nebraska.
bradsbeard 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
It all depends what you count as "payroll." If you include the $11M in Lester and Descalso's buyouts plus the $3M sent in the Darvish trade you get to somewhere like $145M. If you include the $15M in estimated share of player benefits, you get to $160M. I think that last year, including player benefits, they were slated to be up around $205M for MLB payroll before the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
not sure, but i think it's around 130-135m right now even with bryant/baez/contreras still on board...including the 3m to set darvish free and other random $$ expenses on the roster.
tack on another 3-4m for happ when that gets settled....plus other odds/ends that have a chance to make the roster (s.miller, a.morgan, j.holder, etc) and other pre-arbitration guys...
cubs still need someone to back up contreras (if he sticks around, which i wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around)...not sure if taylor gushue is gonna be that guy and m.amaya is too young.
George Altman 2 days 5 min ago (view)
Seriously, what's the 2021 payroll number? Currently at approximately $165M and after they trade Bryant, Baez, & Contreras - $130M. Is that it, $135-140M.
crunch 2 days 10 min ago (view)
Q to the angels...supposedly 1/8m
crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
pete ricketts (the governor of Nebraska ricketts) is a key part of an anti-gambling Nebraska group called "Gambling With The Good Life" that actively lobbied their open legislature...including a speech by pete...to keep gambling illegal in Nebraska.
he last spoke for the group to the state government in-session 3 months ago.
...it's also worth mentioning all of this is separate from the Draft Kings/Wrigley Field deal that flew under the radar toward the end of the season that will put a sportsbook directly in wrigley field, itself.
Charlie 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
Of all the things, why does this most make me want to punch
Cubster 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
I thought the Cubs had lost a rising star in Porter, seems the just got lucky with him leaving the organization.
crunch 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
jared porter...damn dude...mets gm, ex cubs director of scouting...
crunch 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
cubs freeing up that chatwood + lester loot sure did help...wait...sigh.