Galindo Three-run Blast Highlights Cubs Sweep over Giants
Wladimir Galindo belted a three-run home run and an RBI single, Chris Pieters rifled a two-run double, and Andry Rondon and four relievers combined to toss a five-hit shutout, as the Cubs blanked the Giants 7-0 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, and RHSP Pedro Silverio hurled five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with no walks & eight strikeouts and Roberto Caro drilled three singles, as the Cubs edged the Giants 4-3 at Sloan Park, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #1 was called after seven innings of play, and the game at Sloan Park was called after 6-1/2 innings.
The EXST Cubs record now stands at 32-16-6.
With today's outing, Silverio becomes the second Eugene starting pitcher to go five innings (Jesus Castillo was the first, hurling five innings yesterday).
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHSP Justin Steele (Cubs 2014 5th round pick - George County HS - Lucedale, MS) has been assigned to Extended Spring Training after struggling at South Bend (6.17 ERA - 1.94 WHIP - .308 OppBA - 45 H - 23/37 BB/K in 35 IP - nine GS). Steele will likely be a starting pitcher at Eugene (NWL season begins on June 16th), joining some combination of Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Manny Rondon in the Emeralds rotation (if there isn't room for all of them in the starting rotation, one or two may end up as "piggy-back" relievers).
Also, RHRP P. J. Francescon has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been reinstated from the Restricted List. He celebrated his freedom by working two perfect innings on Field #1. Francescon was the closer at AA Tennessee last season, and it's probably just a matter of time before he's back in the Smokies bullpen.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-2, BB, R, SB)
2a. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (BB, 3B, R, RBI)
2b. Michael Foster, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
3. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-2 (2B, BB, 1-3, CS)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-4)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 2B, K+WP, R)
7. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-8, RBI)
9. Roberto Caro, CF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Silverio: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP, 1/5 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-2 (4-3, BB, BB, K, R)
2. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, K, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-3 (6-4 FC, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-2 (L-7, 1-3, HBP)
6. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, 6-3 DP, R)
8. Tyler Payne, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-0 (BB, BB, CS)
10. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-3 (E-6, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, 2 R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andry Rondon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (20 strikes)
2. P. J. Francescon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 12 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Cubster 10 hours 13 min ago (view)
Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...
"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)
Hagsag 12 hours 21 min ago (view)
crunch 22 hours 18 min ago (view)
It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated. coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019. last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.
we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.
azbobbop 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site
SheffieldCornelia 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
I echo this!
Cubster 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).
Hagsag 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.
Mike Wellman 3 days 7 min ago (view)
On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!
First.Pitch.120 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).
Wrigley Rat 3 days 21 hours ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 4 days 4 hours ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 4 days 9 hours ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Hagsag 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.