Galindo Three-run Blast Highlights Cubs Sweep over Giants
Wladimir Galindo belted a three-run home run and an RBI single, Chris Pieters rifled a two-run double, and Andry Rondon and four relievers combined to toss a five-hit shutout, as the Cubs blanked the Giants 7-0 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, and RHSP Pedro Silverio hurled five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with no walks & eight strikeouts and Roberto Caro drilled three singles, as the Cubs edged the Giants 4-3 at Sloan Park, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #1 was called after seven innings of play, and the game at Sloan Park was called after 6-1/2 innings.
The EXST Cubs record now stands at 32-16-6.
With today's outing, Silverio becomes the second Eugene starting pitcher to go five innings (Jesus Castillo was the first, hurling five innings yesterday).
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHSP Justin Steele (Cubs 2014 5th round pick - George County HS - Lucedale, MS) has been assigned to Extended Spring Training after struggling at South Bend (6.17 ERA - 1.94 WHIP - .308 OppBA - 45 H - 23/37 BB/K in 35 IP - nine GS). Steele will likely be a starting pitcher at Eugene (NWL season begins on June 16th), joining some combination of Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Manny Rondon in the Emeralds rotation (if there isn't room for all of them in the starting rotation, one or two may end up as "piggy-back" relievers).
Also, RHRP P. J. Francescon has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been reinstated from the Restricted List. He celebrated his freedom by working two perfect innings on Field #1. Francescon was the closer at AA Tennessee last season, and it's probably just a matter of time before he's back in the Smokies bullpen.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-2, BB, R, SB)
2a. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (BB, 3B, R, RBI)
2b. Michael Foster, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
3. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-2 (2B, BB, 1-3, CS)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-4)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 2B, K+WP, R)
7. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-8, RBI)
9. Roberto Caro, CF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Silverio: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP, 1/5 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-2 (4-3, BB, BB, K, R)
2. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, K, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-3 (6-4 FC, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-2 (L-7, 1-3, HBP)
6. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, 6-3 DP, R)
8. Tyler Payne, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-0 (BB, BB, CS)
10. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-3 (E-6, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, 2 R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andry Rondon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (20 strikes)
2. P. J. Francescon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 12 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Charlie 10 min 16 sec ago (view)
That is a solid recap--thank you!
Eric S 2 hours 7 min ago (view)
Childersb3 7 hours 44 min ago (view)
Since Jake Arrieta won't be ready to pitch in four or five days, I hope they keep Keegan up there. I'd say he deserves to start one more game for them until Jake comes back.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 43 min ago (view)
RHP Kohl Stewart was recalled from AAA Iowa as the "27th man" for Game # 2 of the doubleheader but he did not pitch in the game.
The 27th man is only available for both games if the doubleheader was scheduled as the resuilt of a postponed game from a previous series, so since the doubleheader resulted from the first game of the current series being postponed, the 27th man was only available for the second game.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 18 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP Brandon Workman. He was Designated for Assignment last Thursday.
So the Cubs are now on the hook for Workman's $1M salary, but it would be offset by the pro-rated MLB minimum salary if he were to sign an MLB contract with another club, or sign a minor league contract with another club and then have his contract selected to an MLB 40-man roster.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 20 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed second contract minor league FA LHP Alex Katz (ex-KC) and RHP Austin Krzeminski (ex-LAA) to minor league contracts.
Charlie 17 hours 32 min ago (view)
If you predicted the Cubs take both sides of the doubleheader vs Kershaw and Bauer, I hope you put some money on it.
crunch 18 hours 46 min ago (view)
i wish i didn't have to crash and get up early. hate missing the rest of this. wow.
crunch 19 hours 5 min ago (view)
...and a solo HR to follow it up. that's neat-o.
crunch 19 hours 6 min ago (view)
hey, look...runner scores on a wild pitch.
crunch 19 hours 9 min ago (view)
hol up...we really bringing maples into a game where a guy starts on 2nd with 0 out?
alright...we're living dangerously.
crunch 19 hours 24 min ago (view)
kimbrel blew the save, giving up a solo homer, but this isn't a case of "kimbrel sucking"...he looked good.
crunch 20 hours 12 min ago (view)
damn this is a good game.
bauer keeps coming close to screwing up badly and gets out of it. cubs have a 1 run lead and it seems like it should be a few more.
thompson looked great since an "average at best" 1st inning.
Jackstraw 21 hours 1 min ago (view)
"Go get 'em, kid. We've got three of the best guys on our roster out there behind you, and the other guy on the bump, well, his Cy Young should come with an asterisk."
Childersb3 21 hours 48 min ago (view)
It's the opening night for MiLB, I knew SB was now A+ ball, and of course I get confused the first time I look at the GameDay for SB just now.
That's going to take the full season to get used too.
crunch 22 hours 1 min ago (view)
thompson's got some good movement on his stuff (not extrodinary).
his mid-90s fastball looks effortless. he's got a cutter he can bring 90+.