Galindo Three-run Blast Highlights Cubs Sweep over Giants
Wladimir Galindo belted a three-run home run and an RBI single, Chris Pieters rifled a two-run double, and Andry Rondon and four relievers combined to toss a five-hit shutout, as the Cubs blanked the Giants 7-0 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, and RHSP Pedro Silverio hurled five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with no walks & eight strikeouts and Roberto Caro drilled three singles, as the Cubs edged the Giants 4-3 at Sloan Park, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #1 was called after seven innings of play, and the game at Sloan Park was called after 6-1/2 innings.
The EXST Cubs record now stands at 32-16-6.
With today's outing, Silverio becomes the second Eugene starting pitcher to go five innings (Jesus Castillo was the first, hurling five innings yesterday).
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHSP Justin Steele (Cubs 2014 5th round pick - George County HS - Lucedale, MS) has been assigned to Extended Spring Training after struggling at South Bend (6.17 ERA - 1.94 WHIP - .308 OppBA - 45 H - 23/37 BB/K in 35 IP - nine GS). Steele will likely be a starting pitcher at Eugene (NWL season begins on June 16th), joining some combination of Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Manny Rondon in the Emeralds rotation (if there isn't room for all of them in the starting rotation, one or two may end up as "piggy-back" relievers).
Also, RHRP P. J. Francescon has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been reinstated from the Restricted List. He celebrated his freedom by working two perfect innings on Field #1. Francescon was the closer at AA Tennessee last season, and it's probably just a matter of time before he's back in the Smokies bullpen.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-2, BB, R, SB)
2a. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-1 (BB, 3B, R, RBI)
2b. Michael Foster, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
3. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-2 (2B, BB, 1-3, CS)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-3 (6-4 FC, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-4)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 2B, K+WP, R)
7. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-8, RBI)
9. Roberto Caro, CF: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Silverio: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP, 1/5 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-2 (4-3, BB, BB, K, R)
2. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, K, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-3 (6-4 FC, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-2 (L-7, 1-3, HBP)
6. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, 6-3 DP, R)
8. Tyler Payne, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-0 (BB, BB, CS)
10. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-3 (E-6, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, 2 R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andry Rondon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (20 strikes)
2. P. J. Francescon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 12 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
KingKongvsGodzilla 13 hours 26 min ago (view)
AZPhil, thank you for these updates! It's a nice little pick me up during this dumb year. If you have anything to say on Yohendrick Pinango, Joel Machado, Rafael Morel, or Richard Gallardo, I would love to hear it! Thanks again!
crunch 22 hours 55 min ago (view)
jim hickey new nats pitching coach.
bradsbeard 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).
bradsbeard 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Me too. Thought it was weird he wasn't in South Bend at all.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
I am very, very intrigued by Rivas. If the DH is unfortunately here to stay, he's a prime candidate for that and give Rizzo a day off 1B here and there. If no DH, hopefully he is a passable OF. Big believer in his hitting ability
Hagsag 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
Phil, do you think Chris Morel is the real deal?
tim815 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Blue and Red DSL instructs rosters. No Brayan Altuve.
crunch 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
yup, they're gonna try. starts in about a month.
Hagsag 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
Has it been announced whether there will be a DR winter league this winter?
tim815 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
That's as good of news as we'll get for awhile.
Arizona Phil 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
TIM: If nothing else, signing a boatload of IFA (35) in the 2019-20 ISP is a pretty good indicator that the Cubs fully intend to run two DSL teams into the forseeable future.
tim815 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
Of the 11 new guys, I'm leaning on Marino Sandy and Jerry Torres to be the most likely to reach full-season ball or get traded
Arizona Phil 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
OF Ian Miller (outrighted to the minors on 9/3) elected free-agency just prior to the 10/15 deadline, and the Cubs have signed RHRP Juan Gamez (who they released on 9/9) to a 2021 minor league contract.
bigsky33 4 days 21 hours ago (view)
Phil, were you watching from outside the stadium?