Shelby Miller a Mystery to Cubs Hitters
RHSP Shelby Miller (on Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 15-day DL retro to May 25th with a sprained/bruised right index finger) hurled five innings of shutout ball and Max Brown (RBI double) and Gerard Hernandez (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a two-run first inning, as the Diamondbacks made the two runs stand and edged the Cubs 2-1 at Sloan Park, and Joey Armstrong laced a two-run single to cap a three-run second-inning and Marcus Wilson walked twice, singled, stole a base, and scored two runs, leading the D'backs over the Cubs 5-2 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
With local Phoenix TV crews recording every pitch, Miller breezed-through his five innings (55 pitches), allowing just three singles and no walks, with two strikeouts and an 8/5 GO/AO.
D. J. Wilson belted an RBI double and a single and Wladimir Galindo singled twice and drove-in a run for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1.
RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (on AA Tennessee 7-day DL with right shoulder inflammation) and LHRP Jack Leathersich (July 2015 TJS) continued their EXST rehab, working in the game played at Sloan Park.
Tseng started the game and worked four innings (48 pitches - 73% strikes) and allowed two runs on four hits (three singles and a double), but he struck out five, did not issue any walks, and he retired the last eight hitters he faced (K, 4-3, 4-3, 3-1, K, L-9. K, 6-3).
Leathersich followed Tseng to the hill and worked a 1-2-3 5th inning (4-3, F-9, K). While he's still in "rehab mode," Leathersich is increasing his velocity & command with each EXST outing, and he could ultimately replace Clayton Richard as the Cubs second LHRP option (perhaps sooner rather than later).
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Ho-Young Son (2014 IFA - South Korea) is being converted to pitcher, but he is not ready to throw in games yet (just bullpen side-sessions and PFP drills so far). The 21-year old Son hit just 238/310/295 in 65 career minor league games (AZL Cubs & Eugene) 2014-15, but he has a rifle for an arm.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-7, 3-U, RBI, SB)
2. Michael Foster, RF: 0-3 (L-4, 4-3, 6-3, BB, SB)
3. Vimael Machin, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, F-7)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B-DH: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 2B)
5. Isaac Paredes, 3B: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-9)
6. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-7)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, F-9)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C-1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-6, F-7)
9. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 1-3 (4-3, P-5, 3B, R)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH-C: 0-3 (L-8, L-8, L-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Jack Leathersich: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
4. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 2B, P-6, RBI)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-4 (6-4-3 DP, 3-1, 1-3, 1B, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-4 (1B, F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
5. Gustavo Polanco, DH-C: 1-4 (5-4 FC, 3-U, 6-3, 1B)
6. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (L-7, BB, K, F-7)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, L-7, BB, BB)
8. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-8, 1-3, R)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (P-2, F-9)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
10. Luis Ayala, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 8/1 GO/AO, 77 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nick Sarianides: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Jose Leidenz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (erant throw on attempted 3-2 FC at home allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS
2. Gustavo Polanco: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 15 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 110+
Eric S 1 hour 50 min ago (view)
Childersb3 7 hours 26 min ago (view)
Since Jake Arrieta won't be ready to pitch in four or five days, I hope they keep Keegan up there. I'd say he deserves to start one more game for them until Jake comes back.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 25 min ago (view)
RHP Kohl Stewart was recalled from AAA Iowa as the "27th man" for Game # 2 of the doubleheader but he did not pitch in the game.
The 27th man is only available for both games if the doubleheader was scheduled as the resuilt of a postponed game from a previous series, so since the doubleheader resulted from the first game of the current series being postponed, the 27th man was only available for the second game.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 32 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP Brandon Workman. He was Designated for Assignment last Thursday.
So the Cubs are now on the hook for Workman's $1M salary, but it would be offset by the pro-rated MLB minimum salary if he were to sign an MLB contract with another club, or sign a minor league contract with another club and then have his contract selected to an MLB 40-man roster.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 2 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed second contract minor league FA LHP Alex Katz (ex-KC) and RHP Austin Krzeminski (ex-LAA) to minor league contracts.
Charlie 17 hours 14 min ago (view)
If you predicted the Cubs take both sides of the doubleheader vs Kershaw and Bauer, I hope you put some money on it.
crunch 18 hours 29 min ago (view)
i wish i didn't have to crash and get up early. hate missing the rest of this. wow.
crunch 18 hours 48 min ago (view)
...and a solo HR to follow it up. that's neat-o.
crunch 18 hours 49 min ago (view)
hey, look...runner scores on a wild pitch.
crunch 18 hours 51 min ago (view)
hol up...we really bringing maples into a game where a guy starts on 2nd with 0 out?
alright...we're living dangerously.
crunch 19 hours 6 min ago (view)
kimbrel blew the save, giving up a solo homer, but this isn't a case of "kimbrel sucking"...he looked good.
crunch 19 hours 55 min ago (view)
damn this is a good game.
bauer keeps coming close to screwing up badly and gets out of it. cubs have a 1 run lead and it seems like it should be a few more.
thompson looked great since an "average at best" 1st inning.
Jackstraw 20 hours 44 min ago (view)
"Go get 'em, kid. We've got three of the best guys on our roster out there behind you, and the other guy on the bump, well, his Cy Young should come with an asterisk."
Childersb3 21 hours 30 min ago (view)
It's the opening night for MiLB, I knew SB was now A+ ball, and of course I get confused the first time I look at the GameDay for SB just now.
That's going to take the full season to get used too.
crunch 21 hours 43 min ago (view)
thompson's got some good movement on his stuff (not extrodinary).
his mid-90s fastball looks effortless. he's got a cutter he can bring 90+.
crunch 21 hours 46 min ago (view)
it's also harsh considering javy only got a fine for jumping out the dugout to confront him. it'll probably be reduced to 3-5 or something.