Shelby Miller a Mystery to Cubs Hitters
RHSP Shelby Miller (on Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 15-day DL retro to May 25th with a sprained/bruised right index finger) hurled five innings of shutout ball and Max Brown (RBI double) and Gerard Hernandez (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a two-run first inning, as the Diamondbacks made the two runs stand and edged the Cubs 2-1 at Sloan Park, and Joey Armstrong laced a two-run single to cap a three-run second-inning and Marcus Wilson walked twice, singled, stole a base, and scored two runs, leading the D'backs over the Cubs 5-2 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
With local Phoenix TV crews recording every pitch, Miller breezed-through his five innings (55 pitches), allowing just three singles and no walks, with two strikeouts and an 8/5 GO/AO.
D. J. Wilson belted an RBI double and a single and Wladimir Galindo singled twice and drove-in a run for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1.
RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (on AA Tennessee 7-day DL with right shoulder inflammation) and LHRP Jack Leathersich (July 2015 TJS) continued their EXST rehab, working in the game played at Sloan Park.
Tseng started the game and worked four innings (48 pitches - 73% strikes) and allowed two runs on four hits (three singles and a double), but he struck out five, did not issue any walks, and he retired the last eight hitters he faced (K, 4-3, 4-3, 3-1, K, L-9. K, 6-3).
Leathersich followed Tseng to the hill and worked a 1-2-3 5th inning (4-3, F-9, K). While he's still in "rehab mode," Leathersich is increasing his velocity & command with each EXST outing, and he could ultimately replace Clayton Richard as the Cubs second LHRP option (perhaps sooner rather than later).
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Ho-Young Son (2014 IFA - South Korea) is being converted to pitcher, but he is not ready to throw in games yet (just bullpen side-sessions and PFP drills so far). The 21-year old Son hit just 238/310/295 in 65 career minor league games (AZL Cubs & Eugene) 2014-15, but he has a rifle for an arm.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-7, 3-U, RBI, SB)
2. Michael Foster, RF: 0-3 (L-4, 4-3, 6-3, BB, SB)
3. Vimael Machin, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, F-7)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B-DH: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 2B)
5. Isaac Paredes, 3B: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-9)
6. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-7)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, F-9)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C-1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-6, F-7)
9. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 1-3 (4-3, P-5, 3B, R)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH-C: 0-3 (L-8, L-8, L-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Jack Leathersich: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
4. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 2B, P-6, RBI)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-4 (6-4-3 DP, 3-1, 1-3, 1B, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-4 (1B, F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
5. Gustavo Polanco, DH-C: 1-4 (5-4 FC, 3-U, 6-3, 1B)
6. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (L-7, BB, K, F-7)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, L-7, BB, BB)
8. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-8, 1-3, R)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (P-2, F-9)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
10. Luis Ayala, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 8/1 GO/AO, 77 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nick Sarianides: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Jose Leidenz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (erant throw on attempted 3-2 FC at home allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS
2. Gustavo Polanco: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 15 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 110+
Eric S 5 hours 57 min ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 6 hours 23 min ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 9 hours 3 min ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 9 hours 6 min ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "
crunch 9 hours 6 min ago (view)
anthony rizzo is in mid-season form.
he sat out today with lower back tightness.
BobbyD 10 hours 30 min ago (view)
Well, back in February (I think; that was about 17 years ago now), our diaper staining commander in his own mind declared we had 15 cases in the U.S. and that would quickly go to zero. 130k dead and rapidly rising now 4 months later I still have brain dead neighbors in SoCal saying if Biden gets elected we're screwed. I wonder what they think screwed looks like.
crunch 17 hours 24 min ago (view)
cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.
8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
deleted that link. it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.
cubbies.4ever 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign? Most teams are done signing. Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations. I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.
Jackstraw 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.
Cubster 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Joey Gallo tests Positive.
Cubster 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."
Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA
George Altman 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.
The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."
neat. this is going just great.
but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.
Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.