Shelby Miller a Mystery to Cubs Hitters
RHSP Shelby Miller (on Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 15-day DL retro to May 25th with a sprained/bruised right index finger) hurled five innings of shutout ball and Max Brown (RBI double) and Gerard Hernandez (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a two-run first inning, as the Diamondbacks made the two runs stand and edged the Cubs 2-1 at Sloan Park, and Joey Armstrong laced a two-run single to cap a three-run second-inning and Marcus Wilson walked twice, singled, stole a base, and scored two runs, leading the D'backs over the Cubs 5-2 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
With local Phoenix TV crews recording every pitch, Miller breezed-through his five innings (55 pitches), allowing just three singles and no walks, with two strikeouts and an 8/5 GO/AO.
D. J. Wilson belted an RBI double and a single and Wladimir Galindo singled twice and drove-in a run for the Cubs in a losing cause on Field #1.
RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (on AA Tennessee 7-day DL with right shoulder inflammation) and LHRP Jack Leathersich (July 2015 TJS) continued their EXST rehab, working in the game played at Sloan Park.
Tseng started the game and worked four innings (48 pitches - 73% strikes) and allowed two runs on four hits (three singles and a double), but he struck out five, did not issue any walks, and he retired the last eight hitters he faced (K, 4-3, 4-3, 3-1, K, L-9. K, 6-3).
Leathersich followed Tseng to the hill and worked a 1-2-3 5th inning (4-3, F-9, K). While he's still in "rehab mode," Leathersich is increasing his velocity & command with each EXST outing, and he could ultimately replace Clayton Richard as the Cubs second LHRP option (perhaps sooner rather than later).
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Ho-Young Son (2014 IFA - South Korea) is being converted to pitcher, but he is not ready to throw in games yet (just bullpen side-sessions and PFP drills so far). The 21-year old Son hit just 238/310/295 in 65 career minor league games (AZL Cubs & Eugene) 2014-15, but he has a rifle for an arm.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-7, 3-U, RBI, SB)
2. Michael Foster, RF: 0-3 (L-4, 4-3, 6-3, BB, SB)
3. Vimael Machin, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 1-3, F-7)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B-DH: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 2B)
5. Isaac Paredes, 3B: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-9)
6. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-7)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, F-9)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C-1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-6, F-7)
9. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 1-3 (4-3, P-5, 3B, R)
10. Eric Gonzalez, DH-C: 0-3 (L-8, L-8, L-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Jack Leathersich: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
4. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 2B, P-6, RBI)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-4 (6-4-3 DP, 3-1, 1-3, 1B, R)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-4 (1B, F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
5. Gustavo Polanco, DH-C: 1-4 (5-4 FC, 3-U, 6-3, 1B)
6. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (L-7, BB, K, F-7)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, L-7, BB, BB)
8. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, F-8, 1-3, R)
9a. Jose Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (P-2, F-9)
9b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
10. Luis Ayala, DH #2: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 8/1 GO/AO, 77 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nick Sarianides: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Jose Leidenz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (erant throw on attempted 3-2 FC at home allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 0-1 CS
2. Gustavo Polanco: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 15 (combined - some of the spectators moved back & forth between the two venues)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 110+
jdrnym 4 hours 25 min ago (view)
Hey AZPhil, when a player is released with money/years still remaining on his contract, does his next team *have* to give him the prorated major league minimum or can they offer more (meaning the original club owes less) to "outbid" other teams that may have had interest? I'm assuming that's what happened with Brad Brach, where the Mets signed him for 2020 at $850,000.
crunch 5 hours 8 min ago (view)
jeremy jeffress agrees.
Rob Richardson 8 hours 50 min ago (view)
It's high time if you ask me.
crunch 9 hours 6 min ago (view)
as awesome as bryant is, it would probably be good for the cubs to find him a new home before his play at 3rd turns him into a corner OF'r...which seems inevitable sooner than later.
i'm still impressed how much his D improved since he was drafted, but he's already losing a step at the position early in his career.
crunch 9 hours 12 min ago (view)
minor league ballplayers will no longer have to worry about getting suspended for testing positive for weed...it's off the prohibited substances list.
Arizona Phil 19 hours 24 min ago (view)
3B Alec Bohm and RHSP Spencer Howard would likely be the Cubs asking price and the Phils probably say no, but if they don't say no, that could be a deal.
crunch 22 hours 47 min ago (view)
Bruce Levine @MLBBruceLevine
Cubs have had talks with Phils on Bryant. Nothing there at the moment. Service time grievance still an issue.
bradsbeard 23 hours 22 min ago (view)
Humerous 30 minutes this morning when both Mark Gonzalez and Gordon Wittenmyer tweeted out that the Cubs would be receiving Conor Lillis-White as the PTBNL in the Tommy La Stella trade as if it were just now happening.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
marvin miller and ted simmons are part of the next HOF class.
long time coming for miller.
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
things that are important to good on-field play like buying up all the property around wrigley field, from rooftops to acerage, isn't going to monetize itself.
i know some people would love to have a top tier pitcher, but i'm looking forward to more control of rooftop advertising and an open air beer garden near the team owned hotel and resturant complexes.
i know some people want a solid leadoff man, but i'm looking forward to seeing 10-20 concerts on off-days destroying the playing field so that extra revenue can help a polician in Nebraska or Iowa get some ad buys.
Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Their friend Donald will come through for them.
crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
remember when the billionaire owners got a huge double digit tax cut?
maybe the city should do them a favor and give them more tax savings help to let them buy and build another 2-3 revenue projects outside of the park. that might help these struggling heroes find some extra loot.
i know this rant isn't fair, but my "dan winkler got a MLB contract fever" is dying down a bit.
crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
f'real. i don't even know why they're going to bother playing games. i'm over here printing Cubs 2020 World Series Champs banners while others are sleeping on reality.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Just saw a fun report that the Cubs are telling even budget type free agents they can't currently negotiate until they clear some payroll. So that's a fun start to the winter meetings.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
I'm with you 100% on that. Minor league retreads are fine and all but we don't need to be paying premiums for middle relief.