Young Cubs Pitchers Stingy with Hits but Not with Strikeouts at Riverview
RHP Jesus Tejada hurled four innings of two-hit shutout ball and combined with four relievers on a four-hitter and SP Yovanny Cruz and four relievers combined to toss a four-hitter with 13 strikeouts, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Both Tejada and Cruz are projected to be starting pitchers in the AZL, although there is still a remote chance that one of them could go directly to Eugene. The Cubs will announce the Eugene Opening Day roster next week.
Chris Coghlan is back in action at Extended Spring Training after a lengthy absence, and he struck out twice (both times swinging) in two PA before heading for the UAPC.
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Delvin Zinn has been moved-up to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Chris Coghlan, DH #1: 0-2 (K, K)
1b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (4-1, BB, HBP, P-4, R, SB)
3. Josue Huma, 2B: 1-4 (3B, E-8, F-8, 3-U, R)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (L-8, 4-3 DP, K)
7. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R, 2 SB)
9. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-3 (2B, K, F-9)
10. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, L-3)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
4. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, K)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB, BB, R)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3 DP, BB)
7. Jose Alonso Gaitan, DH-CF: 0-2 (F-8, E-4, BB)
8. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (F-9, F-9, BB, RBI)
9. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-8)
10. Henrry Pedra, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP)
11a. Richard Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Henderson Perez, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Tejada: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/7 GO/AO, 55 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Luis Silva: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/0 G0/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Yovanny Cruz: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF D. J. Wilson: E-8 (missed catch on line-drive to CF allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. C Alexander Guerra: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 5 hours 22 min ago (view)
WAS is now floating c.kieboom as a 3rd base option...along with asdrubal cabrera backing him up there.
the bryant service issue delay may end up lessening his trade value as teams (especially his #1 rumored suitor, WAS) prepare their teams in the offseason.
it's unfortunate that the cubs major offseason team building is based on waiting to find out how much getting rid of bryant is worth because of service time concerns.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 50 min ago (view)
Another possible unintended consequence of the new restriction on September call-ups is that contending clubs will send MLB-ready pitchers and position-players who in previous seasons would have been called-up to MLB in September to the Arizona Fall League, just to keep them in game shape in case the pitcher or position player is needed as an injury replacement in September or in the post-season.
Arizona Phil 13 hours 25 min ago (view)
One thing about Josh Phegley is that not only is he out of minor league options but he also has Article XIX-A rights (he has accrued at least five years of MLB Service Time), so he can't even be outrighted to the minors without his consent if he were to be added to the 40.
Arizona Phil 14 hours 57 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have reportedly signed veteran MLB catcher Josh Phegley (ex-OAK and ex-CHW) to a minor league contract and an NRI to Spring Training (contract is pending because it has not yet been filed with MLB).
CubbyBlue 17 hours 21 min ago (view)
Yeah but that person figured out a way to make a profit off of it, so... hey WAIT!
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
"Cubs' pitching coach Tommy Hottovy said Friday that Brandon Morrow (elbow) will be on the same schedule as the rest of the Cubs' pitchers during spring training."
that's cool. no restrictions unless the team chooses to be cautious, evidently.
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
The Danny Hultzen and Carlos Asuaje minor league contracts have been filed with MLB, but no Jason Adam or Tyler Olson contract filings (yet).
cubbies.4ever 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
My son's name is Tyler Olsen (obviously spelled different, and only 6 but a future Cub), so I am rooting for Tyler to make the team.
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
And Tyler Olson has a similar profile as Casey Sadler (out of minor league options and has Article XX-D rights if he is added to the 40), the only difference being (unlike Sadler) Olson will come to Spring Training not on the 40 so he can be sent to Iowa without restrictions, but if & when he's added to the 40 he isn't a Des Moines - Chicago shuttle-rider candidate.
Arizona Phil 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
Unfortunately (for the Cubs) Casey Sadler doesn't fit as a Des Moines - Chicago shuttle-rider because he is out of minor league options and he can elect free-agency if he is outrighted (he has Article XX-D rights because he been outrighted previously in his career).
cubbies.4ever 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
I agree, this offseason has been a disgrace. If I'm Theo I'm thinking I am in OAK or CHI? This ownership has given him nothing this year. Even the cheap Twins are willing to sign Josh Donaldson and the Cubs biggest transaction this offseason may be adding Miguel Amaya to the 40 man.
tim815 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have a better talent pipeline than on Thursday.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
at least they gave up a chunk of nothing for him (clayton daniel, no power (not even doubles power), not notable speed, middle IF/OFr).
it would probably be better appreciated by fans if the entire offseason wasn't stuff like this.
it's obvious the front office is trying to work with what they have...which is little to nothing from the ownership.
cubbies.4ever 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Cubs acquire Casey Sadler from LA....another Tommy John Surgery pitcher. Theo does it again.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
it gets better...
"Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Cubs have "considered/discussed" Jacoby Ellsbury."
sigh. dude hasn't played in 2 seasons and is 36.5 years old.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
cubs sign tyler olsen to a minor league contract, 650K if he makes the majors.
evidently the cubs are sourcing 2020 players out of that trash can houston was banging on.