Young Cubs Pitchers Stingy with Hits but Not with Strikeouts at Riverview
RHP Jesus Tejada hurled four innings of two-hit shutout ball and combined with four relievers on a four-hitter and SP Yovanny Cruz and four relievers combined to toss a four-hitter with 13 strikeouts, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Both Tejada and Cruz are projected to be starting pitchers in the AZL, although there is still a remote chance that one of them could go directly to Eugene. The Cubs will announce the Eugene Opening Day roster next week.
Chris Coghlan is back in action at Extended Spring Training after a lengthy absence, and he struck out twice (both times swinging) in two PA before heading for the UAPC.
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Delvin Zinn has been moved-up to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Chris Coghlan, DH #1: 0-2 (K, K)
1b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (4-1, BB, HBP, P-4, R, SB)
3. Josue Huma, 2B: 1-4 (3B, E-8, F-8, 3-U, R)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (L-8, 4-3 DP, K)
7. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R, 2 SB)
9. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-3 (2B, K, F-9)
10. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, L-3)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
4. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, K)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB, BB, R)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3 DP, BB)
7. Jose Alonso Gaitan, DH-CF: 0-2 (F-8, E-4, BB)
8. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (F-9, F-9, BB, RBI)
9. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-8)
10. Henrry Pedra, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP)
11a. Richard Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Henderson Perez, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Tejada: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/7 GO/AO, 55 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Luis Silva: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/0 G0/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Yovanny Cruz: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF D. J. Wilson: E-8 (missed catch on line-drive to CF allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. C Alexander Guerra: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 34 min ago (view)
He played in the big leagues longer than he played any other level of organized baseball combined.
crunch 3 hours 37 min ago (view)
al kaline has died at age 85.
from highschool to the majors without touching the minors...22 seasons, all with DET...18x all-star...3000 hit club.
Charlie 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Currently at a near full-time job that just barely covers my monthly expenses if nothing emerges.
I make more than that.
crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
"Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is considering opening the season in empty spring training parks -- with no fans and all players quarantined.
The plan would have all teams stationed in one centralized location -- likely Arizona"
Arizona Phil 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
In addition to 40 players signed to 2020 MLB contracts, after releasing 22 minor leaguers this week the Cubs now have 279 players signed to 2020 minor league contracts (plus one minor leaguer on the Restricted List), for a total of 320 players in the organization (181 pitchers, 30 catchers, 60 infielders, and 49 outfielders).
JustSayin' 4 days 1 hour ago (view)
Years of over-drafting pitching shown here.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Some of the players cut I am not too surprised by. Some of them I think are definitely victims of the minor league pay thing and being squeezed out.
That said, I am very surprised they gave up already on Riley McCauley and Niels Stone.
Hagsag 4 days 5 hours ago (view)
Baseball America is showing a big group of players that have been released.
Arizona Phil 4 days 18 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released minor league catcher Rafelin Lorenzo. He was selected from the Pittsburgh Pirates in the AAA Phase of the 2018 Rule 5 Draft and spent the 2019 season at South Bend. He was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020.
JustSayin' 6 days 4 hours ago (view)
The organizations will cut rosters down, as if the full-season teams were breaking camp to start the season, THEN pay the remaining minor leaguers $400/week or whatever. That's similar to what costs would have normally been but the "one last chance" players who got spring training invitations this year and didn't have an obvious roster spot won't be getting their last chance.
crunch 6 days 5 hours ago (view)
"According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, all minor league players will be receiving $400 per week from MLB through at least May 31."
so that's where that promise landed. the scary thing is that's still more than some in the low minors make on a weekly basis.
crunch 1 week 1 day ago (view)
"Jeff Passan of ESPN writes that the players and league agreed that the 2020 season won't start until "there are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans, there are no travel restrictions and medical experts determine games will not pose a risk to health of teams and fans." Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums" and also at neutral sites.
crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)
i miss baseball. it could happen in june...it may happen in late may...it might not happen either way.
there's so many things getting messed up right now i would get lost making a list. there's some college guys making a serious "okay, we need to look at that guy" push that's dead. former cubs draft pick russell smith (2017, LHP highschool) took last season off for injury (TCU college) and returned with a low 90s fastball, impressive control, and a MLB-quality changeup. his "comeback" was 4 games and done thanks to this current situation...
JustSayin' 1 week 2 days ago (view)
COVID 19 + a short draft + Manfred's obsessive drive to shrink the minor leagues will change baseball forever. It WAS still America's grass roots sport. Where I live, from June through August, you could see a quality live game any day of the week, within an hour's drive. I believe that era is over. What's going on will have ripple effects, contracting serious college ball, college summer leagues and independent pro ball just as much as the MiLB systems. With those changes, some of the game's charm will also go. I've seen a kid from Cape Cod play in the Ca
crunch 1 week 3 days ago (view)
fyi for anyone who bought MLB.tv
for "some reason" getting a cancel+refund via phone is like pulling teeth, but if you contact them via a webpage contact request many people are getting a cancel+refund confirmation within an hour or 2...
bradsbeard 1 week 3 days ago (view)
I imagine because the new labor agreement freezes rosters as of whenever the agreement is approved by the owners and it might affect what those guys are paid under the agreement.