Young Cubs Pitchers Stingy with Hits but Not with Strikeouts at Riverview
RHP Jesus Tejada hurled four innings of two-hit shutout ball and combined with four relievers on a four-hitter and SP Yovanny Cruz and four relievers combined to toss a four-hitter with 13 strikeouts, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Both Tejada and Cruz are projected to be starting pitchers in the AZL, although there is still a remote chance that one of them could go directly to Eugene. The Cubs will announce the Eugene Opening Day roster next week.
Chris Coghlan is back in action at Extended Spring Training after a lengthy absence, and he struck out twice (both times swinging) in two PA before heading for the UAPC.
In EXST Cubs roster news, INF Delvin Zinn has been moved-up to South Bend.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Chris Coghlan, DH #1: 0-2 (K, K)
1b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-2 (4-1, BB, HBP, P-4, R, SB)
3. Josue Huma, 2B: 1-4 (3B, E-8, F-8, 3-U, R)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (L-8, 4-3 DP, K)
7. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R, 2 SB)
9. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-3 (2B, K, F-9)
10. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, L-3)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH #3: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, P-6, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
4. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, K)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (F-9, BB, BB, R)
6. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3 DP, BB)
7. Jose Alonso Gaitan, DH-CF: 0-2 (F-8, E-4, BB)
8. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (F-9, F-9, BB, RBI)
9. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-8)
10. Henrry Pedra, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP)
11a. Richard Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Henderson Perez, PH: 1-1 (2B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Tejada: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1/7 GO/AO, 55 pitches (34 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Luis Silva: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/0 G0/AO, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Andry Rondon: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Yovanny Cruz: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 61 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Fernando Calderon: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF D. J. Wilson: E-8 (missed catch on line-drive to CF allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. C Alexander Guerra: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
jdrnym 8 hours 25 min ago (view)
All makes sense, but I think there is one important point of clarification in there -- are you using "practice squad" and "Club Player Pool" interchangeably? If so, I understood the first sentence of your third-to-last paragraph above to mean that Mills/Sadler/Underwood could be outrighted and still be in the Pool, therefore retaining their eligibility to re-selected to the major league active roster later in the season.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 51 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 15 hours 14 min ago (view)
the toles update is worse than his troubled past. toles has been diagnosed bipolar + schizophrenia and has been in/out of institutions over the past couple years. he can't seem to stick to any program long enough to get good treatment.
hope he turns whatever corner he needs to in order to get enough treatment to decide what kind of future he'd like to have.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 5 min ago (view)
Those two are definitely on more precarious ground once the roster is trimmed to 26, I would say.
jdrnym 18 hours 7 min ago (view)
Right, just went through the roster quick. Underwood, Sadler, same deal.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 23 min ago (view)
Can't answer the Short thing. But I'd agree with your assessment of Mills if he weren't basically a lock to make the roster.
jdrnym 20 hours 31 min ago (view)
Is Zack Short's official designation still "on optional assignment" even though he's not on the Pool? If so, he can't just be recalled even though he's on the 40-man roster, right?
And someone like Alec Mills who's on the Pool and out of options... he's virtually locked onto the active roster because he can't get taken off (via an outright) and remain eligible to be re-added. Seems like the kind of player you'd prefer to leave off the initial Pool.
crunch 20 hours 55 min ago (view)
though he went to the hospital for treatment he was never admitted, so he's yet another person who got dragged hard by Covid, but who's case isn't showing up in the hospital admission, ICU bed, or death numbers most of us are looking at.
there's a whole slew of people who have had to shut down their lives for 2-4-6-etc weeks to get over this that are falling outside of the numbers we're tracking most closely.
Cubster 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
"In yet another reminder of how insidious this particular disease can be, Hottovy says he had acted quite cautiously in public before coming down with it. Fortunately, he was able to self-isolate and avoid transmitting it to his family."
crunch 22 hours 35 min ago (view)
it'll be interesting to see how things go down when people have to start playing games in AZ. they're damn close to being "early NYC level" screwed with a lack of planning and action.
with the early plan of playing games in AZ/FL, they could have been huge economic winners with 15+ teams playing all their games in AZ (and spring training 2.0). now it's looking like some teams may not even want to fly into AZ for a few dozen "away" games.
crunch 22 hours 51 min ago (view)
cubs pitching coach tommy hottovy was diagnosed with covid-19 earlier this spring, but he is currently assumed fully recovered.
he had a 100+ degree temperature for 6 days, lost 18 pounds, and it took 30 days for him to test negative.
he's 38 years old, btw.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
at least the cubs got elston back for pretty much nothing. also, ha.
Rob Richardson 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
How many coachs, managers, and other "tier 1" individuals around the league are in higher risk groups?
Rob Richardson 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Well said Crunch.