Franco and Caldera Provide the Hot Punch at Salt River Fields

Junior Franco tripled and scored and Ricardo Caldera belted a three run home run to highlight a four-run 4th inning, as the Diamonbacks cruised to a 4-2 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.

Trent Giambrone is on a Conditioning Assignment at EXST, and he played 3B for the Cubs in the game, batted five times (he led-off each of the first five innings), drew four walks, and scored a run. He also committed a costly throwing error and was caught stealing on the basepaths.

The Cubs played as the home team because the D'backs had a limited number of pitchers available to throw in the game, and the game was called after 6-1/2 innings of play.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only)

CUBS LINEUP:
X. Trent Giambrone, 3B-DH: 0-1 (E-6, BB, BB, BB, BB, R, CS)
NOTE: Giambrone batted 1st in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings)
1a. Reggie Preciado, SS: 0-2 (3-6 FC, K)
1b. Yeison Santana, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
2. Rafael Morel, 2B-3B: 0-2 (F-8, K, BB, R)
3. Owen Caissie, RF: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB)
4a. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-1 (6-3 DP, BB)
4b. Miguel Fabrizio, C: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Ismael Mena, CF: 0-1 (3-1, BB)
5b. Jose O. Lopez, CF: 0-1 (4-3 FC, RBI)
6a. Shendrik Apostel, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, RBI)
6b. Matt Warkentin, 1B: 0-1 (K)
7a. Malcom Quintero, C: 0-1 (K, BB)
7b. Wally Soto, 2B: 0-1 (P-6)
8. Felix Stevens, DH-LF: 1-2 (2B, K)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Tyler Schlaffer: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 41 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Joel Machado: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Alberto Sojo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Johzan Oquendo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Angel Gonzalez-Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (6 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. 1B Shendrik Apostel: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Reggie Preciado: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Reggie Preciado: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 3B Trent Giambrone: E-5 (errant throw on attempted 5-4 FC allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
1. Malcom Quintero: 0-2 CS
2. Miguel Fabrizio: 0-1 CS

ATTENDANCE: N/A (field was closed to the public)

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

All four of the dudes that came our way for Yu in the lineup today.

• Cubster 1 hour 10 min ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 4 hours 54 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 16 hours 45 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 22 hours 1 sec ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 21 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 13 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.