Olt & Ramirez Ready to Rumble at Riverview
Ho-Young Son tripled, singled twice, stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in two more, Kevonte Mitchell belted a bases-loaded triple, singled, and walked, and Joey Martarano drilled a double and an RBI single and scored a run, helping the Eugene Emeralds thrash the Mesa Cubs 10-2 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning on Field #1 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Neil Ramirez (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - right shoulder inflammation) saw his first game action since April 16th, and Mike Olt (on Cubs MLB 60-day DL - fractured right wrist) saw his first game action since April 20th,
Getting the start for Eugene, Ramirez allowed singles to the first two men he faced (an infield single followed by a line-drive single to right) and then the runners pulled off a double-steal. Ramirez then struck out the next two hitters, one swinging and one looking. He threw 17 pitches (11 strikes), and was pulled from the game when he reached his pre-planned pitch limit.
Mike Olt played 3rd base for three innings for the Mesa Cubs and got four Plate Appearances, one in each of the first four innings. He struck out (swinging) on three pitches against Neil Ramirez in the top of the 1st, was called out on strikes on a 1-2 pitch in the 2nd, drew a walk and scored a run in the 3rd, and grounded out 6-3 in his fourth and final PA in the 4th (with the last three AB coming against LHP Jose Paulino). He did not handle any chances in the field.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game:
MESA CUBS LINEUP:
X. Mike Olt, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, BB, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Olt batted third in the top of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th innings, and led off the top of the 3rd
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, 6-3, R, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, DH-SS: 0-2 (5-U FC+E5, 3-1)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-9, F-7, SB)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
5. Carlos Jimenez, SS-3B: 0-3 (1-3, 4-3, 4-3)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, BB)
7. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 0-2 (K, K, HBP)
8. Calvin Graves, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, P-3)
9. Roney Alcala, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4 FC, 5-3, P-4)
10. Danny Gutierrez, CF: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, RBI)
X. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 0-3 (4-6 FC, K, 1-3 SH, F-8)
NOTE: Dunston batted third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 2-4 (P-6, 3-U, 1B, 1B, R)
2. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 3B, F-8, R, 3 RBI)
3. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-4 (3-1, K, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, P-3, 5-3, 6-3)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3-1, R, RBI)
6. Ricardo Marcano, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, 3-1, F-8 SF, RBI)
7. Varonex Cuevas, SS-DH: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, 2 R)
8. Ho-Young Son, DH-SS: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
9. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-2 (1B, K, F-8 SF, 2 RBI)
10. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-6 FC, BB, 1B, R)
MESA CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO, 58 pitches (37 strikes)
3. Jesus Castillo: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
NOTE: Game was called with two outs in bottom of the 8th
1. Neil Ramirez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 34 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Enrique de los Rios: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 7/1 GO/FO, 54 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
MESA CUBS ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS 1
3B Adonis Paula - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner to score from 2nd)
MESA CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 0-2 CS
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
CubsCentral08 21 hours 32 min ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 40 min ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 40 min ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 42 min ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.
Cubster 4 days 6 hours ago (view)
Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.
crunch 4 days 19 hours ago (view)
meeting on thursday. hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.
crunch 6 days 19 hours ago (view)
yanks low-A naming rachel balkovec as manager. first female manager in the minors.
she was also the first female strength/conditioning coach and hitting coach in rookie leagues for the yanks.
crunch 1 week 1 day ago (view)
"Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is preparing new economic proposals to present to the MLBPA, "likely this month.""
tim815 1 week 3 days ago (view)
As best as I understand, there are the 4 full-season levels with only one affiliate per organization at each level, and the compound league. Toss in the DSL, and that's it. If a team wants and can accommodate a second (or third) Compound League team, that's a decision for "later than January".
Wrigley Rat 1 week 5 days ago (view)
AZ Phil or others - Are major league teams allowed to announce new minor league affiliates for 2022 during this lockout? I ask because there was some discussion about possibly adding a short season league team for next year. Are clubs even allowed to have a 5th non-rookie league team? With all the players jammed up at the A level, it seems like it would be smart to add an additional team for them and this year's incoming draft picks. Of course, they could always just keep two Arizona teams going and it would probably be just fine. Just wondering - thanks and Happy New Year!
crunch 1 week 5 days ago (view)
cameron maybin is retiring, which saves the cubs from once again obtaining or attempting to obtain cameron maybin.
2022 looking good so far.
Cubster 2 weeks 1 day ago (view)
Welcome to 2022.
First news of the year: The Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks have reached a deal with Tyler Chatwalk! Hope they have a bigger strike zone there.
Cubster 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Thanks Phil. Great reply as always. Have a happy and healthy New Year (everyone, but especially AZ Phil)!
Arizona Phil 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Kyle Seager is a post-2021 Article XX-B free-agent who is not under the control of an MLB club, so his announcing his retirement is no different than announcing he and his family are going out to dinner tomorrow night or taking a trip to Hawaii next month.
The only time a player "files for retirement" and is placed on a club's Voluntary Retired List is if he is signed, or unsigned but under the control of a club.
crunch 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
retirement in MLB is an official paperwork process so it might be a frozen issue for filing. technically there is still work being done like business worked on but not completed before the lockout, as well as other business both sides agree isn't an issue. dunno if they're processing retirement paperwork.
seager hit 35 homers last year and could, at the very least, platoon with someone while still earning decent loot.
that said, he's in his mid-30s and made 100m at his job. plus, covid-era baseball just isn't fun even if you toss the health issues aside.