Olt & Ramirez Ready to Rumble at Riverview
Ho-Young Son tripled, singled twice, stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in two more, Kevonte Mitchell belted a bases-loaded triple, singled, and walked, and Joey Martarano drilled a double and an RBI single and scored a run, helping the Eugene Emeralds thrash the Mesa Cubs 10-2 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning on Field #1 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Neil Ramirez (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - right shoulder inflammation) saw his first game action since April 16th, and Mike Olt (on Cubs MLB 60-day DL - fractured right wrist) saw his first game action since April 20th,
Getting the start for Eugene, Ramirez allowed singles to the first two men he faced (an infield single followed by a line-drive single to right) and then the runners pulled off a double-steal. Ramirez then struck out the next two hitters, one swinging and one looking. He threw 17 pitches (11 strikes), and was pulled from the game when he reached his pre-planned pitch limit.
Mike Olt played 3rd base for three innings for the Mesa Cubs and got four Plate Appearances, one in each of the first four innings. He struck out (swinging) on three pitches against Neil Ramirez in the top of the 1st, was called out on strikes on a 1-2 pitch in the 2nd, drew a walk and scored a run in the 3rd, and grounded out 6-3 in his fourth and final PA in the 4th (with the last three AB coming against LHP Jose Paulino). He did not handle any chances in the field.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game:
MESA CUBS LINEUP:
X. Mike Olt, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, BB, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Olt batted third in the top of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th innings, and led off the top of the 3rd
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, 6-3, R, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, DH-SS: 0-2 (5-U FC+E5, 3-1)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-9, F-7, SB)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
5. Carlos Jimenez, SS-3B: 0-3 (1-3, 4-3, 4-3)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, BB)
7. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 0-2 (K, K, HBP)
8. Calvin Graves, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, P-3)
9. Roney Alcala, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4 FC, 5-3, P-4)
10. Danny Gutierrez, CF: 2-3 (2B, 1B, K, RBI)
X. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 0-3 (4-6 FC, K, 1-3 SH, F-8)
NOTE: Dunston batted third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 2-4 (P-6, 3-U, 1B, 1B, R)
2. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 3B, F-8, R, 3 RBI)
3. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-4 (3-1, K, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, P-3, 5-3, 6-3)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, 3-1, R, RBI)
6. Ricardo Marcano, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, 3-1, F-8 SF, RBI)
7. Varonex Cuevas, SS-DH: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, 2 R)
8. Ho-Young Son, DH-SS: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
9. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-2 (1B, K, F-8 SF, 2 RBI)
10. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-6 FC, BB, 1B, R)
MESA CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Alexander Santana: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 5/2 GO/FO, 58 pitches (37 strikes)
3. Jesus Castillo: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
NOTE: Game was called with two outs in bottom of the 8th
1. Neil Ramirez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 34 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Enrique de los Rios: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 7/1 GO/FO, 54 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
MESA CUBS ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS 1
3B Adonis Paula - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner to score from 2nd)
MESA CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 0-2 CS
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Hagsag 11 hours 27 min ago (view)
The Cubs have no starting pitching right now with Carl in a funk.
Eric S 18 hours 17 min ago (view)
Cubs were Nootbaar'ed to the tune of 12-4 in Game 2
Cubster 19 hours 18 min ago (view)
With a Doubleheader loss, the Cubs are back on track for a better draft choice. Right now at 67 wins they pick #7, just ahead of KC and Minnesota who have 68-69 wins.
crunch 20 hours 47 min ago (view)
the shit sandwich that is zach davies is a 6 foot party sub.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 50 min ago (view)
I am celebrating the day he signs with another team this offseason. I didn't know I could hate him more than I did when he was in Milwaukee but here we are!
crunch 21 hours 10 min ago (view)
wisdom can hit some bombs when he does connect..wow.
also davies still sucks.
tim815 21 hours 45 min ago (view)
McAvene is struggling against hitters in Instructs. He's not ready for the AZ Fall League. I'd expect to see Juan Gamez otr Aneuris Rosario first. Vazquez, I agree with, entirely.
bradsbeard 23 hours 36 min ago (view)
On the position player side, Amaya if he's healthy. Chase Strumpf makes a lot of sense (missed some time early and late, missed all of last year). Nelson Velazquez maybe as a Rule 5 guy if they're on the fence. Cam Balego and Andy Weber are two other candidates if healthy. Luis Vazquez could also use more upper level PAs and would make sense.
Lots of potential pitchers. Ideally Marquez but not sure they'll let him pitch this year. McAvene is probably another one. Would be awesome if Kohl Franklin could participate.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 53 min ago (view)
Arizona Phil 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Cubs select contract of RHRP Jason Adam from AAA Iowa and he will be the "29th man" in today's DH with STL. Also,.C Robinson Chirinos to 10-day IL with oblique strain, and OF Greg Deichmann has been recalled from Iowa.
Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
FP120: The Cubs have been working on pick-off plays, baserunning including rundown ("pickle") drills, amd bunt defense in pre-game and Camp Day instructional work, so it's kind of a "Point of Emphasis." Apparently it's still a work-in-progress for a lot of the guys.And it's not just pick-off plays, either. At least two or three guys have been picked-off in the first three games and there have been a couple of other baserunning gaffes as well. But that's what instructs is for, right?
First.Pitch.120 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
So what's the deal with 5 pick off attempt errors in 3 games?
Arizona Phil 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Because the Cubs play only the Angels, A's, and Rockies in Instructs this year, I would not be surprised if the Cubs make a trade or two with one or more of those clubs, most especially the Angels, who might be interested in acquiring Kyle Hendricks (since they certainly can't do a rebuild with Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon on the roster).
Arizona Phil 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
The pitching-starved Angels established an MLB (and probably Ripley's Believe It or Not) record by selecting - ONLY - pitchers in the 2021 draft. That's twenty pitchers. No position players. They signed 19 of the twenty, and five of them pitched in today's game (2021 15th round pick Glenn Albanese Jr started the game, followed by 18th round pick Nick Mondak, 7th round pick Ryan Costeiu, 8th round pick Nick Jones, and 16th round pick Nick Dufault).
Arizona Phil 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Cubs 2020 4rh round draft pick 6'8 220+ LHSP Luke Little threw mainly a 93-97 FB with an occasional CV and CH mixed-in but pitched mostly from behind in the count, issuing two walks, hitting a batter, and throwing a WP (and surrendering a towering three-run HR) in 2.1 IP of work, LHP Angel Rodriguez was able to throw strikes with a 90-91 MPH FB, CH, and CV mix, but was pounded to the tune of five singles, a double, and a triple in just 2.2 IP, Cubs 2021 14th round draft pick RHRP Frankie Scalzo featured a 93-95 MPH FB but sometimes hung his SL and was hit hard and allowed a HR and five sing
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
chris clarke could use the work.
brennen davis...bryce ball and casey opitz, maybe. *shrug*
i'd like to see ethan roberts in the mix.