Another Albertos Mystery Ride on the Bump at Riverview
Fernando Kelli reached base four times (three singles and an HBP), stole a base, collected two RBI, and scored a run, Fidel Mejia ripped an RBI triple and two singles, and Jose A. Gonzalez drilled an RBI double, walked twice, and scored a run, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Monday night on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
RHSP Jose Albertos continues to struggle with command (mostly by spiking his FB in front of home plate or throwing it over the batter's head), allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits (four singles and a double), four walks, a HBP, and two wild pitches in 3.1 IP (73 pitches), while throwing only 48% strikes. He was, however, also occasionally brilliant, striking out six and getting batters to repeatedly hit his pitches into the ground when he was not recording a punch-out, issuing a walk, hitting a batter, or throwing a WP (4/0 GO/AO).
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Chris Coghlan, LF-DH: 0-2 (L-9, BB, BB, L-9)
NOTE: Coghlan led-off the top of the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th innings
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (K, K, P-6, BB)
2. Fernando Kelli, DH-LF: 3-3 (1B, HBP, 1B, 1B, R, 2 RBI, SB)
3a. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-2(2B, P-5)
3b. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (5-3 DP, 4-3)
4. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, F-7, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5. Fidel Mejia, 3B; 3-4 (3B, F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-1 (BB, L-8, CS)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
7a. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 0-1 (L-1 DP)
7b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-3 (P-3, K, K)
8. Raymond Pena, DH-C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3 DP, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9. Eric Gonzalez, DH #3: 0-2 (K, 3-1, BB, R)
10. Henrry Pedra, 2B: 1-2 (1B, HBP, F-8, SB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, BB, 2 SB)
1b. Josue Huma, 2B: 0-1 (P-3)
2. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, P-3, BB, R)
3a. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, R)
3b. Luis Verdugo, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B)
4a. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 0-1 (K, HBP, R)
4b. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, RBI, SB)
5. Orian Nunez, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
7a. Henderson Perez, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R, SB)
7b. Richard Nunez, C: 0-1 (P-4)
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (2B, BB, BB, K, R, RBI)
9. Herson Perez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, P-3, BB)
10. Tolly Filotei, DH #2: 0-4 (E-6, 6-3, K, L-9 DP, SB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Albertos: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 4/0 GO/AO, 73 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Luis Silva: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 0/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Andry Rondon: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Peyton Remy: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Fernando Calderon: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1/1 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Ivan Medina: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Cam Balego: 0-4 CS
2. Raymond Pena: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Henderson Perez: 1-3 CS, 2 E (see above)
2. Richard Nunez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Luis Ubiera - runner (Herson Perez) doubled-off 1st base 9-3 after L-9.
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Jose A. Gonzalez - runner (Fernando Kelli) thrown out 9-4-2 (relay by Luis Diaz) attempting to score from 1st base on two-out double down RF line
WEATHER: Clear skies with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 40 min 19 sec ago (view)
11 umpires opt out of 2020...
Cubster 19 hours 2 min ago (view)
IMPOTUS 45: "ANYBODY WHO WANTS A TEST CAN GET A TEST"
then said quietly by his elves: although it can take up to 1-2 days (or two tanks of gas) to get through test lines and then 7-14 days to get results.
crunch 19 hours 26 min ago (view)
5 cubs players + d.ross didn't work out with the team today because their tests were dealyed. 4 players + d.ross later came back negative and 1 test will have to be done again because it was compromised during transport and invalidated.
...turns out the compromised test was not a player, but a non-player/non-ross Tier 1 employee. neat.
crunch 21 hours 47 min ago (view)
v.caratini will continue to be darvish's preferred catcher this season.
crunch 21 hours 48 min ago (view)
j.hicks (STL) opts out. he's a T1 diabetic currently rehabbing from TJ. he was expected to return in august.
JustSayin' 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
I think what your saying applies to all franchises in all big-time team sports. The virus is asymptomatic in many carriers. The national positive test % rate is mid/high single digits. If your pro sports franchise does 3-4 x better than that, it still means some players and coaches will test positive and things will grind to a partial or complete halt. At least baseball didn't try to "bubble" in AZ and FL, which are looking like two of the worst (and worst-led) states in which to be located at the currrent stage of the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
rizzo took BP and did some field work today. also, almora is good to go...he ran into a wall on friday and got a little banged up.
Cubster 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Aroldis Chapman is now Covid positive with mild symptoms
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
the COVID-Division should be fun.
teams from TX, AZ, CA, WA, and CO exclusively playing each other... CO is all "wtf, really?"
Cubster 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
...and so it goes (per Roto): Astros general manager James Click wrote in a statement that a member of the staff "was potentially exposed to a COVID-positive individual outside the organization.” The team is working with MLB and team doctors on testing protocol and cleaning before resuming workouts.
Does the visiting team bring a Covid positive bio-weapon to the player's parking lot?
Charlie 3 days 17 min ago (view)
I've been wondering how this would proceed. Since teams will have to figure out how existing contracts will be paid, I thought there was a *chance* they would proceed with free agency as usual and plan for payment under potential shortened seasons would just be figured out in negotiations with the MLBPA. But that was probably an overly optimistic thought.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
Meanwhile Theo shoots down any potential of extension talks. I get that it's a crazy time financially in baseball, but it's really gonna suck when all these players leave after 21 and 22.
Cubster 3 days 13 hours ago (view)
WSox Michael Kopech has opted out of 2020. I didn't see a disclosed reason yet but he is recovering from TJ S
crunch 4 days 31 min ago (view)
buster posey (SF) opting out of 2020...recently adopted twin daughters who were born premature.
Cubster 5 days 4 hours ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 5 days 16 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).