Another Albertos Mystery Ride on the Bump at Riverview
Fernando Kelli reached base four times (three singles and an HBP), stole a base, collected two RBI, and scored a run, Fidel Mejia ripped an RBI triple and two singles, and Jose A. Gonzalez drilled an RBI double, walked twice, and scored a run, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Monday night on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
RHSP Jose Albertos continues to struggle with command (mostly by spiking his FB in front of home plate or throwing it over the batter's head), allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits (four singles and a double), four walks, a HBP, and two wild pitches in 3.1 IP (73 pitches), while throwing only 48% strikes. He was, however, also occasionally brilliant, striking out six and getting batters to repeatedly hit his pitches into the ground when he was not recording a punch-out, issuing a walk, hitting a batter, or throwing a WP (4/0 GO/AO).
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Chris Coghlan, LF-DH: 0-2 (L-9, BB, BB, L-9)
NOTE: Coghlan led-off the top of the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th innings
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (K, K, P-6, BB)
2. Fernando Kelli, DH-LF: 3-3 (1B, HBP, 1B, 1B, R, 2 RBI, SB)
3a. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-2(2B, P-5)
3b. Luis Ubiera, RF: 0-2 (5-3 DP, 4-3)
4. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, F-7, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5. Fidel Mejia, 3B; 3-4 (3B, F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-1 (BB, L-8, CS)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
7a. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 0-1 (L-1 DP)
7b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-3 (P-3, K, K)
8. Raymond Pena, DH-C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3 DP, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9. Eric Gonzalez, DH #3: 0-2 (K, 3-1, BB, R)
10. Henrry Pedra, 2B: 1-2 (1B, HBP, F-8, SB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, BB, 2 SB)
1b. Josue Huma, 2B: 0-1 (P-3)
2. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, P-3, BB, R)
3a. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, R)
3b. Luis Verdugo, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B)
4a. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 0-1 (K, HBP, R)
4b. Franklin Tineo, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, RBI, SB)
5. Orian Nunez, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
7a. Henderson Perez, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R, SB)
7b. Richard Nunez, C: 0-1 (P-4)
8. Jose A. Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (2B, BB, BB, K, R, RBI)
9. Herson Perez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, P-3, BB)
10. Tolly Filotei, DH #2: 0-4 (E-6, 6-3, K, L-9 DP, SB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Albertos: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 4/0 GO/AO, 73 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Luis Silva: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Jonathan Bruzual: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 0/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Brady Miller: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Andry Rondon: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Peyton Remy: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Riger Fernandez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Fernando Calderon: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1/1 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Ivan Medina: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Cam Balego: 0-4 CS
2. Raymond Pena: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Henderson Perez: 1-3 CS, 2 E (see above)
2. Richard Nunez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Luis Ubiera - runner (Herson Perez) doubled-off 1st base 9-3 after L-9.
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Jose A. Gonzalez - runner (Fernando Kelli) thrown out 9-4-2 (relay by Luis Diaz) attempting to score from 1st base on two-out double down RF line
WEATHER: Clear skies with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 33 min 28 sec ago (view)
cards 15 wins a row...franchise record
Hagsag 12 hours 3 min ago (view)
The Cubs have no starting pitching right now with Carl in a funk.
Eric S 18 hours 53 min ago (view)
Cubs were Nootbaar'ed to the tune of 12-4 in Game 2
Cubster 19 hours 54 min ago (view)
With a Doubleheader loss, the Cubs are back on track for a better draft choice. Right now at 67 wins they pick #7, just ahead of KC and Minnesota who have 68-69 wins.
crunch 21 hours 23 min ago (view)
the shit sandwich that is zach davies is a 6 foot party sub.
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 26 min ago (view)
I am celebrating the day he signs with another team this offseason. I didn't know I could hate him more than I did when he was in Milwaukee but here we are!
crunch 21 hours 46 min ago (view)
wisdom can hit some bombs when he does connect..wow.
also davies still sucks.
tim815 22 hours 21 min ago (view)
McAvene is struggling against hitters in Instructs. He's not ready for the AZ Fall League. I'd expect to see Juan Gamez otr Aneuris Rosario first. Vazquez, I agree with, entirely.
bradsbeard 1 day 11 min ago (view)
On the position player side, Amaya if he's healthy. Chase Strumpf makes a lot of sense (missed some time early and late, missed all of last year). Nelson Velazquez maybe as a Rule 5 guy if they're on the fence. Cam Balego and Andy Weber are two other candidates if healthy. Luis Vazquez could also use more upper level PAs and would make sense.
Lots of potential pitchers. Ideally Marquez but not sure they'll let him pitch this year. McAvene is probably another one. Would be awesome if Kohl Franklin could participate.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Cubs select contract of RHRP Jason Adam from AAA Iowa and he will be the "29th man" in today's DH with STL. Also,.C Robinson Chirinos to 10-day IL with oblique strain, and OF Greg Deichmann has been recalled from Iowa.
Arizona Phil 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
FP120: The Cubs have been working on pick-off plays, baserunning including rundown ("pickle") drills, amd bunt defense in pre-game and Camp Day instructional work, so it's kind of a "Point of Emphasis." Apparently it's still a work-in-progress for a lot of the guys.And it's not just pick-off plays, either. At least two or three guys have been picked-off in the first three games and there have been a couple of other baserunning gaffes as well. But that's what instructs is for, right?
First.Pitch.120 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
So what's the deal with 5 pick off attempt errors in 3 games?
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Because the Cubs play only the Angels, A's, and Rockies in Instructs this year, I would not be surprised if the Cubs make a trade or two with one or more of those clubs, most especially the Angels, who might be interested in acquiring Kyle Hendricks (since they certainly can't do a rebuild with Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon on the roster).
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
The pitching-starved Angels established an MLB (and probably Ripley's Believe It or Not) record by selecting - ONLY - pitchers in the 2021 draft. That's twenty pitchers. No position players. They signed 19 of the twenty, and five of them pitched in today's game (2021 15th round pick Glenn Albanese Jr started the game, followed by 18th round pick Nick Mondak, 7th round pick Ryan Costeiu, 8th round pick Nick Jones, and 16th round pick Nick Dufault).
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Cubs 2020 4rh round draft pick 6'8 220+ LHSP Luke Little threw mainly a 93-97 FB with an occasional CV and CH mixed-in but pitched mostly from behind in the count, issuing two walks, hitting a batter, and throwing a WP (and surrendering a towering three-run HR) in 2.1 IP of work, LHP Angel Rodriguez was able to throw strikes with a 90-91 MPH FB, CH, and CV mix, but was pounded to the tune of five singles, a double, and a triple in just 2.2 IP, Cubs 2021 14th round draft pick RHRP Frankie Scalzo featured a 93-95 MPH FB but sometimes hung his SL and was hit hard and allowed a HR and five sing