Late Rally Helps Emeralds Sparkle at Riverview
Kevonte Mitchell smashed a solo HR to lead-off the inning and Frandy de la Rosa belted a two-run triple and scored on a WP to highlight a four-run 8th, as the Eugene Emeralds rallied to defeat the Mesa Cubs 5-3 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning on Field #1 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Eloy Jimenez reached base four times (two singles and two walks) for Eugene, Yohan Matos slugged a solo HR and singled twice for the Mesa Cubs, and the two starting pitchers (LHP Justin Steele and RHP Oscar de la Cruz) combined to hurl six innings of shutout ball.
Mesa Cubs LF Jose Paniagua left the game after being hit on the helmet by a Daniel Bard fastball in the top of the 4th. (Bard was pulled out of the game after throwing only eight pitches).
Mike Olt (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - broken right wrist) took pre-game BP but did not play in the game.
In EXST Cubs roster news, OF Shawon Dunston (on Myrtle Beach 7-day since April 23rd with a right shoulder injury) has completed his rehab and has returned to the Pelicans, and C-1B Alberto Mineo has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach.
Mineo will be inactive at MB (technically he's on the Eugene Reserve List) and will serve as a bullpen catcher for the Pelicans, but he can be activated if necessary.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game, followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
MESA CUBS LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, F-9, SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, L-8, L-7)
3. Yohan Matos, C: 3-4 (1B, K, 1B, HR, R, RBI)
4. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 0-4 (L-4, P-6, F-9, L-7)
5. Danny Gutierrrez, DH-LF: 0-4 (P-4, E-3, 6-3, K, R, 2 SB)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B 0-3 (P-4, BB, 4-3, 6-3, R)
7a. Jose Paniagua, LF: 0-1 (K, HBP)
7b. Jhonny Pereda, PR: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
9. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, 6-2 FC, 1B, BB)
10. Calvin Graves, DH #2: 0-4 (P-4, 4-3, P-6, 4-3)
1. Robert Garcia, DH #1: 0-4 (6-3, P-1, L-9, K)
2. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (F-8, BB, P-4, HR, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, BB, R, RBI, CS)
4. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-4 (4-U FC, 1B, F8, 1B, R)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B-DH 1-2 (L-8, BB, HBP, 3B, R, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-3 (1B, BB, F-9, 1B)
7. Varonex Cuevas, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, P-6 DP, F-7, K)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (BB, 4-1, 1B, PO)
10. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-4)
MESA CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 2/3 GO/FO, 42 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 18 pitches (4 strikes)
3. Austyn Willis: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 3 WP, 1 PO, 1/8 GO/FO, 75 pitches (44 strikes)
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 49 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 8 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jordan Brink: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
MESA CUBS ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MESA CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
MESA CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Danny Gutierrez - threw out batter (Ricardo Marcano) 7-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
2015 CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER
50 players ACTIVE
17 pitchers in PITCHERS REHAB GROUP (various stages of activity but not pitching in EXST games)
4 injured position players at TRAINING CENTER (not cleared for field activity)
* bats or throws left
# bats both
ACTIVE PITCHERS: 26
Oscar de la Cruz
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz
Jae-Hoon Ha (ex-OF)
John Michael Knighton
Mark Malave (ex-C)
* Jose Paulino
* Carson Sands
* Justin Steele
* Sam Wilson
PITCHERS REHAB GROUP: 17
Adbert Alzolay (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Matt Brazis (LIMITED ACTIVITY - AA Tennessee 7-day DL - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Marcelo Carreno (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim games - post-2013 right shoulder surgery)
Anthony Carter (ACTIVE REHAB - shut-down down in Minor League Camp - now throwing in "sim" games)
Tanner Griggs (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - groin)
Luis Hernandez (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Barret Loux (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - right flexor)
Trey McNutt (LIMITED ACTIVITY - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - 2014 shoulder surgery)
Yomar Morel (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - TJS pending)
* Ariel Ovando (ex-OF - TRAINING CENTER - was shut-down in Minor League Camp)
James Norwood (LIMITED ACTIVITY - South Bend 7-day DL - has started throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Blake Parker (TRAINING CENTER - re-signed after being released - right elbow inflammation)
Hector Perez (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - ???)
Austin Reed (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - 2014 TJS)
Jose Rosario (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down in Minor League Camp - had TJS in April)
Jose Zapata (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - post-2013 cervical fracture)
* Rob Zastryzny (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim" games - foot injury)
# Erick Castillo
Will Remillard (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 TJS)
Miguel Rico (ex-3B
Roney Alcala (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
# Varonex Cuevas
# Frandy de la Rosa
Wladimir Galindo (TRAINING CENTER - left wrist injury)
Carlos Jimenez (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
* Tommy LaStella (TRAINING CENTER - oblique strain)
Andruw Monasterio (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
Mike Olt (ACTIVE REHAB - fractured right wrist)
* Carlos Sepulveda
* Logan Watkins (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 ruptured achilles tendon)
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Ricardo Marcano
Carmelo Martinez (AZL Cubs Manager)
Gary Van Tol (Eugene Manager)
Oscar Bernard (AZL Cubs Hitting Coach)
Ricardo Medina (Eugene Hitting Coach)
Terrmel Sledge (Eugene Assistant Coach)
Anderson Tavares (Eugene Pitching Coach)
Rick Tronerud (Mesa Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ron Villone (AZL Cubs Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (AZL Cubs Assistant Coach)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
Sean Folan (AZL Cubs)
Ryan Nordvedt (Eugene)
Chuck Baughman (Assistant Minor League Training Coordinator - Mesa Rehab)
Mike McNulty (Eugene)
Toby Williams (AZL Cubs)
The E-Man 3 hours 8 min ago (view)
Eh - double meh. How about just getting Curtis Granderson and calling it a day?
crunch 3 hours 21 min ago (view)
c.paddack (SD) with a no-hitter through 7, 82 pitches
...and it's gone in the 8th. now i don't have to watch a SD/MIA game anymore.
Eric S 7 hours 11 min ago (view)
Finally, a Yu win at Wrigley as a Cub and a series win against the Reds. Could definitely get used to that!
Eric S 8 hours 2 min ago (view)
JHey!!! Yu’s gotta be the happiest dude in the dugout
Eric S 8 hours 5 min ago (view)
Little surprised Maddon pulled Yu after six innings and only 83 pitches - hopefully just trying to keep him fresh (and no injury concern)
videographer 9 hours 9 min ago (view)
What can you tell us about Alexander Guerra and his performance as of late? 2 - 3HR games in two weeks, 1.200 Slg %. Does he have any kind of value as a prospect?
crunch 9 hours 40 min ago (view)
post all-star break darvish is some good stuff so far, too.
Eric S 10 hours 8 min ago (view)
Home run derby KB is a hell of a lot of fun!!
Eric S 10 hours 42 min ago (view)
I’m trying really hard to reverse jinx it but floundering in a bad way. Seems likely he’ll hit 6 + in a week when the dam finally breaks
Eric S 10 hours 44 min ago (view)
His two strike approach is very commendable on a team with so much swing and miss in it. Hoping he’ll run into an early count fastball soon that exits the park - he’s most certainly due.
First.Pitch.120 10 hours 57 min ago (view)
Fair points... but with this roster, I don't really care about JJ's power. More than enough power up & down lineup. I'm a bit "meh" on speed & SBs, especially in a 4th OF type on a post-season roster. Call it Post-Traumatic-2018-Terrence-Gore-Disorder (PT'18TGD???). If I had to choose between a 4th OF who can pinch run or who can pinch hit, it's my personal preference for the PH. And anybody who disagrees with me is wrong & probably immoral.
VirginiaPhil 12 hours 17 min ago (view)
Jay--an outfielder hitting two home runs in 433 PAs with the Cubs. Hasn't hit more than three in seven years. Sometimes you give up power for speed, but there's no speed, either, at least in the form of SBs.
VirginiaPhil 12 hours 24 min ago (view)
Williams can carry a tune, if I remember correctly.
Dempster was unbelievable the other night, hitting only one note on-key, the second to the last word in the song, "ball." Maybe he can do comedy, but forget about song-and-dance.
crunch 12 hours 52 min ago (view)
almora (really?) / baez / bryant(LF) / rizzo / caratini / heyward / russell(2nd) / bote(3rd) / darvish
First.Pitch.120 13 hours 56 min ago (view)
Jon Jay - Trade Candidate?
I noticed that JJ was back from the IL & having a usual JJ quiet-productive start to his season. I think I love the idea of JJ coming back to the north side. Instantly makes the OF deeper no matter what happens with Happ or Zo. Lefty bat compliments AA in CF & can play good D at all 3 spots. Pretty even career R/L splits. Good career PH numbers if coming off the bench. Known quantity in clubhouse.
The post-seaon roster starts to feel deep & balanced... with 13 position players including a bench of:
Dolorous Jon Lester 14 hours 33 min ago (view)
He is very streaky, both with his hitting for average and his power. I’m not too worried about it from the Cubs standpoint yet. From my fantasy team standpoint a different matter though.