Late Rally Helps Emeralds Sparkle at Riverview
Kevonte Mitchell smashed a solo HR to lead-off the inning and Frandy de la Rosa belted a two-run triple and scored on a WP to highlight a four-run 8th, as the Eugene Emeralds rallied to defeat the Mesa Cubs 5-3 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning on Field #1 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Eloy Jimenez reached base four times (two singles and two walks) for Eugene, Yohan Matos slugged a solo HR and singled twice for the Mesa Cubs, and the two starting pitchers (LHP Justin Steele and RHP Oscar de la Cruz) combined to hurl six innings of shutout ball.
Mesa Cubs LF Jose Paniagua left the game after being hit on the helmet by a Daniel Bard fastball in the top of the 4th. (Bard was pulled out of the game after throwing only eight pitches).
Mike Olt (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - broken right wrist) took pre-game BP but did not play in the game.
In EXST Cubs roster news, OF Shawon Dunston (on Myrtle Beach 7-day since April 23rd with a right shoulder injury) has completed his rehab and has returned to the Pelicans, and C-1B Alberto Mineo has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach.
Mineo will be inactive at MB (technically he's on the Eugene Reserve List) and will serve as a bullpen catcher for the Pelicans, but he can be activated if necessary.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game, followed by the updated Cubs Extended Spring Training roster:
MESA CUBS LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, F-9, SB)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, L-8, L-7)
3. Yohan Matos, C: 3-4 (1B, K, 1B, HR, R, RBI)
4. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 0-4 (L-4, P-6, F-9, L-7)
5. Danny Gutierrrez, DH-LF: 0-4 (P-4, E-3, 6-3, K, R, 2 SB)
6. Roney Alcala, 1B 0-3 (P-4, BB, 4-3, 6-3, R)
7a. Jose Paniagua, LF: 0-1 (K, HBP)
7b. Jhonny Pereda, PR: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
9. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, 6-2 FC, 1B, BB)
10. Calvin Graves, DH #2: 0-4 (P-4, 4-3, P-6, 4-3)
1. Robert Garcia, DH #1: 0-4 (6-3, P-1, L-9, K)
2. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (F-8, BB, P-4, HR, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, BB, R, RBI, CS)
4. Joey Martarano, 1B: 2-4 (4-U FC, 1B, F8, 1B, R)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B-DH 1-2 (L-8, BB, HBP, 3B, R, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-3 (1B, BB, F-9, 1B)
7. Varonex Cuevas, DH-2B: 0-4 (K, P-6 DP, F-7, K)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (BB, 4-1, 1B, PO)
10. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-4)
MESA CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 2/3 GO/FO, 42 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Trey Masek: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 18 pitches (4 strikes)
3. Austyn Willis: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 3 WP, 1 PO, 1/8 GO/FO, 75 pitches (44 strikes)
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 49 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 8 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jordan Brink: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
MESA CUBS ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Joey Martarano: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
MESA CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-3 CS, 1 PB
MESA CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Danny Gutierrez - threw out batter (Ricardo Marcano) 7-4 trying to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
2015 CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER
50 players ACTIVE
17 pitchers in PITCHERS REHAB GROUP (various stages of activity but not pitching in EXST games)
4 injured position players at TRAINING CENTER (not cleared for field activity)
* bats or throws left
# bats both
ACTIVE PITCHERS: 26
Oscar de la Cruz
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz
Jae-Hoon Ha (ex-OF)
John Michael Knighton
Mark Malave (ex-C)
* Jose Paulino
* Carson Sands
* Justin Steele
* Sam Wilson
PITCHERS REHAB GROUP: 17
Adbert Alzolay (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Matt Brazis (LIMITED ACTIVITY - AA Tennessee 7-day DL - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Marcelo Carreno (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim games - post-2013 right shoulder surgery)
Anthony Carter (ACTIVE REHAB - shut-down down in Minor League Camp - now throwing in "sim" games)
Tanner Griggs (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - groin)
Luis Hernandez (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down in Minor League Camp - now throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Barret Loux (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - right flexor)
Trey McNutt (LIMITED ACTIVITY - now throwing bullpen side-sessions - 2014 shoulder surgery)
Yomar Morel (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - TJS pending)
* Ariel Ovando (ex-OF - TRAINING CENTER - was shut-down in Minor League Camp)
James Norwood (LIMITED ACTIVITY - South Bend 7-day DL - has started throwing bullpen side-sessions)
Blake Parker (TRAINING CENTER - re-signed after being released - right elbow inflammation)
Hector Perez (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - ???)
Austin Reed (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down after pitching in EXST games - 2014 TJS)
Jose Rosario (TRAINING CENTER - shut-down in Minor League Camp - had TJS in April)
Jose Zapata (LIMITED ACTIVITY - shut-down after throwing in EXST games - post-2013 cervical fracture)
* Rob Zastryzny (ACTIVE REHAB - throwing in "sim" games - foot injury)
# Erick Castillo
Will Remillard (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 TJS)
Miguel Rico (ex-3B
Roney Alcala (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
# Varonex Cuevas
# Frandy de la Rosa
Wladimir Galindo (TRAINING CENTER - left wrist injury)
Carlos Jimenez (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
* Tommy LaStella (TRAINING CENTER - oblique strain)
Andruw Monasterio (formerly a switch-hitter, he is now hitting only RH)
Mike Olt (ACTIVE REHAB - fractured right wrist)
* Carlos Sepulveda
* Logan Watkins (TRAINING CENTER - 2015 ruptured achilles tendon)
# Roberto Caro
# Robert Garcia
* Ricardo Marcano
Carmelo Martinez (AZL Cubs Manager)
Gary Van Tol (Eugene Manager)
Oscar Bernard (AZL Cubs Hitting Coach)
Ricardo Medina (Eugene Hitting Coach)
Terrmel Sledge (Eugene Assistant Coach)
Anderson Tavares (Eugene Pitching Coach)
Rick Tronerud (Mesa Rehab Pitching Coach)
Ron Villone (AZL Cubs Pitching Coach)
Ty Wright (AZL Cubs Assistant Coach)
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACHES
Sean Folan (AZL Cubs)
Ryan Nordvedt (Eugene)
Chuck Baughman (Assistant Minor League Training Coordinator - Mesa Rehab)
Mike McNulty (Eugene)
Toby Williams (AZL Cubs)
George Altman 37 min ago (view)
If this post had a 'like' button, I would press it.
Arizona Phil 1 hour 9 min ago (view)
Infielders Ed Howard IV, Fabian Pertuz, Ryan Reynolds, and Yeison Santana, 1B Grayson Byrd, and OF Darius Hill have been moved down to the Myrtle Beach (Lo-A) squad from the South Bend (Hi-A) squad at Minor League Camp.
Jackstraw 1 hour 59 min ago (view)
I think somebody finally found and turned off the SUCK mode on their Cubs game controller.
It's important we ALL do that, every day.
crunch 5 hours 18 min ago (view)
i think the cubs can risk losing shelby miller.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 4 min ago (view)
Contreras is amazing. It's why I've been so adamant that its completely nuts how often he's popped up in trade rumors.
Sonicwind75 6 hours 6 min ago (view)
And the baseball gods smite us with great vengeance.
crunch 6 hours 55 min ago (view)
in a world of bryzzo and baez, contreras deserves his props for his all-around game.
he protected lester's shortcomings for years. good luck with that 40% caught stealing rate and less people attempting it in WAS with aged alex avila and yan gomes, guy.
crunch 7 hours 13 min ago (view)
cubs are scoring runs early and have a lead.
i'm not prepared for this. deep down inside i'm nearly positive this is a good thing, but i'm going to do some research and try to make sure this is a good thing.
okay, i just checked with my friend that's a dodgers fan and this is a good thing. go cubs.
game 14...only the 2nd time with multiple extra base hits in an inning for the cubs this year according to boog.
Dolorous Jon Lester 8 hours 27 min ago (view)
Winkler and Workman return today, Steele and Strop head to alternate site. Yay
Charlie 10 hours 11 min ago (view)
No numbers really needed to show that this offense is terrible right now, but I decided to peruse team stats today to see exactly where the Cubs have struggled the most. I was unsurprised to find they have the third highest pull %, the second lowest line drive %, and the highest K% in the majors right now. BABIP is also the lowest in the majors, whih is to be expected when the team is making poor contact and doing so in the teeth of the shift.
That's not fun baseball to watch.
Dolorous Jon Lester 11 hours 37 min ago (view)
Don't worry, Joc is DEFINITELY an upgrade.
CTSteve 12 hours 38 min ago (view)
And off of a lefty.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 52 min ago (view)
Most players get only three minor league options, but a player who has accrued less than five "full seasons" is eligible for a 4th minor league option.
Charlie 20 hours 22 min ago (view)
I agree that Contreras really sticks that front elbow (and shoulder and to some extent his head) pretty close to the zone. Plus he likes to reach toward the outer half to pull the ball and sometimes to lunge a little at the outside corner, so pitchers will want to work him inside frequently. He should get a thicker elbow guard.
bradsbeard 21 hours 26 min ago (view)
Sounds like Steele will be in line for a 4th option year FWIW.
crunch 22 hours 34 min ago (view)
limited capacity (and it's a "thunderstick" giveaway night), but LAD @ SD is practically a playoff level atmosphere here in april.
this one could be hot for years.