Your 2018 Eugene Emeralds!

Here is the 2018 Opening Day roster for the Eugene Emeralds. The roster is provisional and subject to change.

The Emeralds first game is Friday night at home versus Vancouver (the Blue Jays affiliate in the Northwest League)

Teams that play in the NWL have a 35-man Reserve List limit - AND - a 35-man Active List limit (with 25 players designated "active" for each game, of which ten must be pitchers). However, because players selected in last month's MLB First-Year Player Draft (Rule 4 Draft) and any Rule 4 draft-eligible player signed as a Non-Drafted Free-Agent (NDFA) after the draft do not count against a minor league reserve list until next November 20th, once the 2018 draft picks start getting assigned to Eugene, there will be players (2018 draft picks) on the Emeralds' active list who are not on the reserve list and (presuming there are players on the Eugene DL) there will be players on the Emeralds' reserve list who are not on the active list, effectively creating a general roster that exceeds 35 players.

Also, there is no restriction on minor league service time for players in the NWL until July 1st, at which point there can be a maximum of three players with four or more years of MLB and/or minor league partial or full active seasons accrued (VSL/DSL seasons excluded) on the active roster.

EUGENE EMERALDS

SS-A

* bats or throws left
# bats both

PITCHERS: 20
Jose Albertos (SP)
Luis Aquino
Sean Barry
* Faustino Carrera (SP)
Yan de la Cruz
Hector Alonso Garcia (see NOTE)
Dalton Geekie
* Danny Hultzen (see NOTE
* Brailyn Marquez (SP)
Junior Marte (see NOTE)
M. T. Minacci (see NOTE)
* Eugenio Palma
Jeffrey Passantino
Eury Ramos (SP)
Stephen Ridings
Andry Rondon (see NOTE)
Jose Rosario (see NOTE)
Casey Ryan
Jake Steffens
Mitch Stophel
NOTE: H. Garcia, Hultzen, Marte, Minacci, A. Rondon, and J. Rosario are on the Eugene Reserve List but will likely either be placed on the Eugene DL or assigned to one of the AZL Cubs rosters.

CATCHERS
: 3
Cam Balego (also 1B-3B)
Gustavo Polanco (also 1B)
* Jonathan Soto (also 1B)

INFIELDERS: 5
Luis Diaz (2B-3B)
Rafael Mejia (1B)
Christopher Morel (3B-SS)
Ramsey Romano (3B-2B-SS-1B-LF-CF-RF)
Luis Vazquez (SS)

OUTFIELDERS: 5
Fernando Kelli (CF-LF)
* Kwangmin Kwon (RF-LF-CF)
* Ruben Reyes (LF-CF-RF)
* Jonathan Sierra (RF)
Nelson Velazquez (CF-RF-LF)

MANAGER
Steve Lerud

COACHES
Armando Gabino (Pitching Coach)
Osmin Melendez (Hitting Coach)
Jacob Rogers (Assistant Coach)

ATHLETIC TRAINER
Sean Folan

STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COACH
Dallas Lopez

Comments

Even before the 2018 draft picks arrive, this is a talent-laden Eugene Emeralds team with ten legit prospects:

1. Christopher Morel, 3B-SS (org Top 10)
2. Nelson Velazquez, OF (org Top 15)
3. Jose Albertos, RHSP (org Top 15)
4. Jonathan Soto, C (org Top 15)
5. Brailyn Marquez, LHSP (org Top 20)
6. Luis Vazquez, SS (org Top 20)
7. Fernando Kelli, CF (org Top 25)
8. Luis Diaz, 2B (org Top 25)
9. Eury Ramos, RHSP (org Top 30)
10. Faustino Carrera, LHSP (org Top 30)

There are only four pitchers (Albertos, Marquez, Carrera, and Ramos) on the Eugene Opening Day roster who were stretched-out to be starting pitchers at Extended Spring Training, so the Cubs may try and stretch-out Jeffrey Passantino as a SP, or possibly move a RP down from South Bend (perhaps Brendan King or Enrique de los Rios) who could be stretched-out as a SP or piggy-back with another pitcher at Eugene. It's also possible that one or two of the recently-signed college SP the Cubs selected in the draft (like Richan, Vega, Whitney, and/or Patterson) could be ready to work as a SP (or piggy-backer) at Eugene in fairly short order.

This should be a fun team to keep track of all Summer.

Cubs sign 2nd rd pick OF Brennan Davis (High School, Miami (FL) Commit) for $1,100,000 which is only $39,100 over slot, I thought for sure he'd be the trouble of the Top 10 rds signee.

The Cubs have placed LHP Danny Hultzen (2016 shoulder surgery) and RHP Jose Rosario (elbow) on the Eugene 7-day DL, and RHPs Hector Alonso Garcia, Junior Marte, M. T. Minacci, and Andry Rondon have been transferred from the Eugene reserve list to AZL Cubs #2.

I noticed on the roster at the Eugene Emeralds web-site that Fernando Kelli is listed as a switch-hitter, but I have seen Kelli a lot (post-2016 AZ Instructs, 2017 EXST, post-2017 AZ Instructs, and 2018 Minor League Camp and EXST), and I can tell you I have never seen Kelli bat LH.

It's possible that Kelli was a switch-hitter when he first signed with the Cubs or maybe he was a switch-hitter in the DSL in 2016 before he came to Mesa for the first time, but he is strictly a RH hitter now (at least since post-2016 AZ Instructs) with a line-drive stroke, and other than occasionally laying down a bunt (usually at the behest of his manager), he is looking to drive the ball into the OF. So despite his plus-speed (he is probably the fastest player in the organization), he does not seem to enjoy playing "small ball."

• Cubster 1 hour 27 min ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 5 hours 11 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 17 hours 2 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 22 hours 16 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 21 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 2 days 2 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 13 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 17 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.