Pirates @ Cubs: Liriano vs Arrieta (Game 65)

Back for some home cookin'--and the team that used to be the Pirates.

PIT (33-33): LHP Francisco Liriano (4-6, 4.92)
CHC (44-20): RHP Jake Arrieta (10-1, 1.86)
First pitch: 1:20pmCST

Arrieta beat Atlanta (7 IP, 2 ER, 3 K, 2 BB) on Saturday. He’s 2-0 with a 1.20 against the Pirates so far this year. Overall, they are 34-164 (.207) against him. Joyce is 7-17 with a HR.

Liriano is coming off a string of three straight losses, including one against the Cardinals in his last outing (6 IP, 1 ER, 8 K, 3 BB). He got lit up at Wrigley in May, giving up 8 ER in 4.2 innings. The Cubs are 25-109 (.229) against him. Bryant is 4-9 with a HR.

Niese (6-3, 4.60) versus Lester (8-3, 1.89) at 7:15pmCST (?!) tomorrow. Saturday nights are for fighting, massacres, and the occasional fever—not baseball. Thanks, Fox.

Go Cubs!

Comments

I would like to make a formal apology to everyone here. We have seen Almora Jr and now Contreras come up, without one "bring him up" from me. See, the thing is, before, it was based on the fact that the Cubs were in such desperate need to rid themselves of journeymen, that my feeling was that almost ANY rookie was better than the roster fill they had. Obviously, those days are over. Carry on.

well, now we have nothing left unless rizzo gets injured. you dropped the ball, guy. this season sucks.

Bring up Vogelbach. Just cuz.

hardcore. that said, i wonder if he'll get a sept callup for the hell of it.

baez's 1st walk since may 11th...77 PA between walks.

And Almora with his first MLB walk ... Feels like Cubs have left 20 guys on base and Rizzo has been hit ten times. When does Cutch get his?

Anyone know why the Cub radio broadcast has 10 second delay? Afraid Mark Grote or Ron Coomer are gonna let out an expletive?

Not into consecutive bases-loaded-no-runs-scored innings... That's never been a turn-on for me.

I'd like to clarify--there are situations where I enjoy a good bases-loaded-no-runs-scored inning.

Crazy game. Are these guys really this wild, or in the ump all over the place?

Arietta was having a lot of issues with his release point in his last inning and while there are a few close pitches he really was throwing a lot of balls down and in. He finally found it but also got some help with the Pirates swinging at balls and not swinging at fastballs straight down the middle. Liriano was throwing a ton of balls but that's normal for him. Outside of his change up he has a lot of trouble throwing his secondary pitches for strikes.

Thanks. Hard to see how they send down Almora, at least until the league adjusts to him.

Serious escape job by Jake in the 6th! 3 straight walks to load the bases, then goes 3-0, comes back for the K, then goes 3-1 and comes back for the K. Wow.

I was at work and had to tamp down the desire to curse out loud when he was walking people and jump up and shout when he got out of it. Would not have been a good look at all but my god am I all in on this team. He's been throwing too many pitches overall though despite having the second best ERA in baseball. The strikeouts are certainly necessary when he has people on base but maybe a bit more pitching contact would be good for him overall. Dunno just would like to see him go deeper more often.

"Cubs released RHP Alex Sanabia. Sanabia was signed to a minor league deal a month ago but gets cut loose after posting a 6.34 ERA at Triple-A Iowa. He's headed back to the Mexican League."

Wasn't his club, "El Chapo Rojo"?

45-20!

Okay what happens when Soler and TLS return?

Almora and Contreras back down, probably, but Szczur could end up on the bubble if he slumps.

the guys that could be cut or sent down seem limited to coghlan, almora, and contreras without further moves and assuming they want to keep their pen #s intact. almora+contreras could spend some time back down in the minors waiting for september... coghlan better step up and perform...and i wonder if they're looking to trade montero...and quite honestly almora is a luxury this season unless sczzuruzruzrurzr starts struggling (which doesn't look likely).

As Madden says it'll probably work itself out with other injuries or such but also will depend on how Almora and Coghlan are doing at that point. The question with him is when he slumps, as all players and especially rookies do, will he find ways to get on base since he doesn't walk. Madden has already said he wants Almora to get regular at bats and if he can't in the majors he will be sent back down since he does have options. If he is still tearing it up though and forcing himself into the lineup Soler also has options and might be sent down. I'd say Coghlan most likely would be the second odd man unless he's also tearing it up since I don't see both Soler and Almora getting sent down and Madden loves Stella and Szczur and neither have options. If Coghlan is tearing it up it is possible both Soler and Almora get sent down I suppose but as much as it would suck to see him get released after seeing how excited he was being back here I'd rather not have both of the younger players sent down for him. A trade is very possible though too for bullpen help though Theo has said he doesn't want to be reactionary with that. Soler is probably lower in value than Theo would like right now, Almora is probably not being traded, Coghlan, Stella or Szczur probably won't fetch a ton but maybe packaged with someone else, Baez is probably fairly high value right now though I'm sure Madden would pitch a fit thinking about trading him. I'm still firmly behind the idea that Soler will be a star and if he is traded I think we will come to regret it but with how in love Theo is with Schwarber I can see Soler being a trade piece if he starts getting hot again and gets his value up since with Almora in center, Heyward in right and Schwarber probably in left Soler is the odd man out in the future.

I think Soler could be a star player - when not injured, or in a warmer city. I know they "love" him, but at some point you do what's best for the team long term. He has been on the DL every year as a professional player - several times for the same issue. If they can get a controllable #2 starter, or a power arm that has TOR stuff, ya gotta look at that seriously.

I think he'll get over the cold weather issue, but the injury part is certainly a concern. He'll be someone that you need backup for just in case until he shows he can stay injury free. It really sucks because he has a ton of talent and from everything I've read he is someone who is always a good person with a smile on his face. I really want him to succeed and like I said I think if we trade him we're going to see him tearing it up somewhere else but it is definitely difficult having to worry about not having him on the field at a key time.

The odds are way against all these Cubs prospects panning out - Baez was saved by the Great Maddonnini's play him everywhere philosophy, and I think he's getting a handle on his swing. Soler could be the one who doesn't make it, but man, he sure shows signs of being a dominant player, too. I'm rooting for him too, but I root for all these guys. Gotta love that Hollywood smile, though. Overall he goes a bit against the versatility/good fielding mantra of Maddon. He seems to be getting better so time will tell. If Theo got a good offer methinks he'd take it

• Charlie 3 hours 58 min ago (view)

Yeah, it seems like I lean more toward overvaluing Bryant than most commenters here. Also, I completely stopped following prospect lists once the Cubs were good again, so I'm out of the loop on Pache especially. I had imagined that the Cubs would be looking more for immediate major league value rather than a projectable prospect, but I guess if you really like Pache you don't mind waiting a couple years.

• K Dub 10 hours 42 min ago (view)

PHIL: Excellent breakdown, Phil. Thanks.

I'm sure you heard. QO value was set at $17.8 million the day after you made your post.

• K Dub 10 hours 50 min ago (view)

Pache, Wright, Muller and Riley feels light to you, Charlie? I respect your opinion, but I would jump at it. I highly doubt the Braves would do it, though. Were talking 2 years of Bryant at what could be 18 million and 28-30 million in his last year of arbitration.

The Cubs would be hurting their chances next year and building for 2021 in a deal like that, but that's rebuilding/retooling in one fell swoop.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: Austin Riley is actually a third-baseman but he had to play LF for the Braves in 2019 because he was blocked by Josh Donaldson, and Cristian Pache is considered to be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors and his bat has improved enough over the past year or two to where he is now rated in or just outside the top ten overall prospects in MLB.

So a package that includes Riley and Pache and one of the Braves young MLB or MLB-ready SP would probably be more than enough to get the Cubs to bite.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 17 hours ago (view)

Max Fried or Bryse Wilson

• crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)

t.skaggs story keeps getting deeper.

allegations the team knew about skagg's drug abuse (also his family).  teams are required to report this to MLB.

• Charlie 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

Except for the headline, the linked post reads more like a trade hypothetical than a trade rumor. I like the idea of looking at this package as a discussion point for expected return for Bryant. I would say it feels a little light to me. It's deep, with two decent outfield prospects with upside and two OK pitching prospects. But Riley doesn't help the team solve the CF problem right now, so he's either redundant to Bote or sort of a Schwarber replacement. Muller's inflated BB% at AA this year worries me a bit too.

• Cubster 3 days 3 hours ago (view)

I might have missed something and it's been talked about regarding a KB trade rumor from about 10-9-19.

Braves receive: 3B Kris Bryant

• crunch 4 days 17 hours ago (view)

they get 3 guys and the cubs get 1 guy.  sounds like a slam dunk for the angels.  pencil trout in the cubs lineup.  he's got upside.

• Jackstraw 4 days 19 hours ago (view)

I'd hate to part with both Kemp and Chatwood, but if it will bring that Trout guy back, we could even throw in Almora.

• crunch 4 days 22 hours ago (view)

the ricketts got a brazillian dollar tax break...they need to trickle that down and flex on the entire league.

we gonna get grandal, rendon, castellanos, g.cole, strasburg, ryu, a.chapman...maybe sign bumgarner and odorizzi to work the pen.

• Arizona Phil 4 days 22 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: If the Cubs trade Quintana and his new club pays 100% of his 2020 salary his new club assumes 100% of his salary AAV liability, but if the Cubs agree to pay a portion of Quintana's 2020 salary as part of the trade, whatever portion of Quintana's 2020 salary that is paid by the Cubs would count against the Cubs 2020 AAV.

• Charlie 4 days 23 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Thanks for that Boston context--I hadn't realized the trend there. If the Cubs did decide to pick up Quintana's option and then trade him (assuming the Cubs would not agree to pay part of the contract as part of the trade), do they have to do that by a certain date in order for Quintana's contract not to count against them for the CBT? I haven't been able to find any dates attached to the CBT in a quick internet search.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 30 min ago (view)

My presumption in the Cubs declining Jose Quintana's 2020 club option as well as declining the club options on the veteran relievers who have one and non-tendering Addison Russell (and this also applies to Joe Maddon not returning as manager in 2020) is that after the monumental late-September collapse of 2019 on the heels of the 2018 Game #163 and Wild Card game defeats Ricketts will no longer accept the Cubs payroll going over the CBT threshold ($208M AAV in 2020) or extending a manager making $5M a year.

• crunch 5 days 5 hours ago (view)

i actually like ATL the team...the fans and the 3+ hours of tommy hawk chawpin' non-stop is beyond annoying before even getting into how messed up it is they're still doing that in 2019.  it's all they do, just that 1 single thing...for hours...

fans were so upset about not getting foam hatchets pre-game yesterday (that was the club's way to "dial it back") they were busy letting the "PC police" know they're here to chant and chop as loud as they could before the first pitch was even thrown.

it took about 10 runs to shut them up.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 5 days 19 hours ago (view)

Damn. Atlanta was the only team in the NL I was hoping would advance. I don’t know what I was hoping in LA vs WAS series. Cataclysmic event? (Side note, I live in the DC area, what a dreadful group of fans. They deserve nothing good ever.)