Cubs @ Brewers: Series Thread (Games 79-81)

The Cubs started off their road-trip with an especially odd no-no but have followed up with three losses. They are now three games back in the division with a three-game set with the first-place Brewers that will put them at the season's midpoint. A sweep in either direction could determine the Cubs' approach to the trade deadline. The Brewers will have an advantage in that they have their top three starting pitchers going--possibly the best top three startes in the majors right now. See below for the pitching matchups.

Game 79, Monday, June 28, 7:05 pm central

CHC: RHP Kyle Hendricks (10-4, 3.84 ERA)

MIL: RHP Freddy Peralta (7-2, 2.11 ERA)

Hendricks last allowed an earned run three starts ago, allowing two solo homeruns to the Cardinals on June 12 en route to one of his eight consecutive victories. He's made only two bad starts this season, both to Atlanta in April. He also faced the Brewers twice in April, allowing two earned runs over 12 innings pitched.

Peralta has continued a breakthrough campaign in 2021, combining an already elite strikeout rate with a well below career average opponent BABIP. In four June starts he's allowed four earned runs across 24.1 innings while also striking out 31. He's 2-0 against the Cubs in three starts in 2021 and has allowed three earned runs in 15 innings pitched.

Game 80, June 29, 7:05 pm central

CHC: RHP Zach Davies (5-4, 4.31 ERA)

MIL: RHP Brandon Woodruff (6-3, 1.89 ERA)

Davies contributed six innings, including four strikeouts and five walks, to the Cubs' first combined no-hitter last time out. Prior to this season I had always thought of Davies as a pitch-to-contact groundball machine. But his most recent start has cemented the image of him now that I watch him on a regular basis; a soft-tosser who whittles and nibbles his way around hitters, walking hitters rather than giving in and getting by when he is able to miss out of the zone instead of in it. Somehow, this is Davies' first start of 2021 against his former team.

Like the other two starting pitchers the Cubs are facing in this series, Brandon Woodruff has gotten off to a blazing start and appears to be having a breakthrough season. Woodruff's breakthrough is really no surprise. The Brewers have been waiting and hoping that he would get a healthy season, and they've gotten a consistently awesome performance from Woodruff now that his body is holding up. He's one start removed from his only bad start, in which he allowed five earned runs over five innings in Colorado. To find another start in which he allowed at least three earned runs, you have to go back all the way to opening day.

Game 81, June 30, 7:05 pm central

CHC: RHP Jake Arrieta (5-8, 5.32 ERA)

MIL: RHP Corbin Burnes (3-4, 2.53 ERA)

June has skewed Arrieta's ration of decent to embarassing starts in the favor of "maybe retirement is coming for this guy." He has off been able to muddle through and eat some innings, but in two of his five June starts he has not been able to get into the fourth inning. Last time out, he allowed two earned runs over five innings against the Dodgers, striking out four, walking three, and allowing five hits. He's 0-2 in two starts against Milwaukee this season, having allowed four earned runs in 11 innings.

After four starts in which he looked nearly untouchable, Burnes came back to earth a bit at the end of April. He is still absolutely a strikeout machine who is stingy with walks. Opponents have been able to string together hits against him on occasion. The Cubs faced him once in April, striking out ten times over six innings and collecting a pair of hits and no walks. He continues to live off the cutter, throwing that upper-90s pitch more than 50% of the time. Lefties have still managed a bit better against him than righties, especially in Milwaukee where their WOBA is a full .100 higher than the right-handers'.

Comments

rizzo sitting again with "back tightness"

Better let him sit for 8 days but not do an IL stint

i like rizzo and he's an all-time cubs great at this point (def a top-20 hitter for the team)...but...yeah...i dunno about handing this dude a 5+ year deal.

If you had said this previous to this year's beginning, I'd have called you insane. While he remains the heart of the team, I don't think he's a big money player anymore.

schwarb still on fire...2 HR tonight.

11 in his last 10 games.

another one tonight...off rich hll.

rizzo sits again (tuesday)...bryant is sitting because "planned day off"

Good, guess now I know to do something else with my evening.

Also Tepera to IL, Megill optioned. Nance back already, Adam Morgan purchased (wtf) and Duffy to 60 day.

I hate that they don't put Rizzo on the IL when he hurts his back. It drives me insane. They clearly made 40 man space for Adam Morgan

FWIW, Adam Morgan has not allowed a run in eight appearances at AAA in month of June: 7.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB 11 K .172 OBA, 0.80 WHIP, high ground ball rate. It's also possible he may have had a 7/1 opt-out.

Also, Morgan has the same player profile as Rex Brothers: out of minor league options, cannot be outrighted without his consent, and eligible for salary arbitration post-2021 (he will not be a free-agent, unless he is released or non-tendered).

DJL: "Left calf strain" is AKA Daniel Descalso's Disease. Cubs must just want to give Tepera a few days off.

Makes sense for Tepera. Ah yes Descalso's "injury." Must have been quite a calf strain to miss 2.5 months!

"planned day off" for bryant is now known as "side soreness from some OF diving plays"

g.marquez (COL) going into the 9th for COL vs PIT...no hitter in progress...only 86 pitches.

...and a lead off single.

Every waiver-wire catcher looking around nervously and avoiding eye contact with the Cubs.

Is it just me, or should Patrick Wisdom be in the homerun derby?

j.arrieta gives up 6 runs, but only 3 earned because of an arrieta throwing error.

moneyballs.

this game is hot garbage.

arrieta still sucks, p.wisdom is injured, cubs are down 7-8 in the bottom 4th...what else you got cubbies?

a HBP, RBI single, passed ball, walking the pitcher to load the bases, and other HBP to bring a run in...nice, very nice.

...and a grand slam.  impressive cubbery.  epic.  all-time.

cubs go from being up 7-0 to losing 7-14...still in the 4th.

Saw that 7-spot in the first inning and thought at least they had dodged the sweep.

Busy at work so just quickly checking in on score.  Went quickly from: all-right to rut-row to WTF.

in other news, hoerner is supposed to be activated this weekend, but that might get moved up if p.wisdom is legit injured after his collision earlier in this game.

p.wisdom with a "left eye contusion" and "neck tightness"...no current signs of concussion

took them over an hour to share that with the booth.

Me in 2021: "Patrick Wisdom is hurt? Well, there goes the season."

yeah, what they've been doing this past week feels more like what we should have expected pretty much all season.

cubs throw a combined no-hitter to tie for 1st place and fall to 6 games out of 1st in a week.

• Cubster 27 min ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 4 hours 11 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 16 hours 1 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 21 hours 16 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 6 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 10 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 14 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.