Alex Bautista reached base four times (a triple, two singles, and a walk) and scored four runs, Waldimir Galindo reached base five times (three singles, an HBP, and an E-2 catcher's interference), stole a base, scored three runs, and drove-in another, Joey Martarano collected four RBI (two RBI GO, a sacrifice fly, and a ringing RBI double into the LF corner), and Andruw Monasterio knocked-in three runs with two run-scoring singles, drew a walk, stole a base, and scored a run, as the AZL Cubs belted out 15 hits, drew six walks, and received one HBP, and scored three runs in the 5th, four in the 6th, and three more in the 8th, en route to a 12-8 thrashing of the AZL Athletics in Arizona League action Wednesday might on Field #4 at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ. .
The defensive Play of the Game was an outstanding stop of a bounder behind 2nd base by 18-year old AZL Cubs SS Andruw Monasteio, who then did a "360" leap and fired a strike to second-baseman Carlos Sepulveda to retire the A's baserunner on a force-out.
Shawon Dunston Jr (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL) continued his rehab, playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 at the plate, with two walks, a single, and a run scored. He also committed a fielding error in left field.
RHP Craig Brooks (Cubs 2015 7th round draft pick - Catawba College) made his pro debut in the game, and it didn't go too well. The 22-year old came on in relief to start the bottom of the 6th with the Cubs leading 9-2, and allowed four runs (all four runs earned) on three hits (two singles and a double) and a walk (plus one strikeout) in just 1/3 of an inning. He struggled with his control (21 pitches - only 10 strikes), and generally looked uncomfortable (very hyper) on the mound.
Brooks, who led NCAA Division 2 in strikeouts and K/9 in 2015, displayed a 90-92 MPH fastball that he could not throw for strikes, a sweeping slider that is probably more cutter than breaking ball, and a change-up.
Here is the abridged box score from Wednesday night's game (Cubs players only)
AZL CUBS LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 2-5 (K, 1B, BB, K, 1B, 3-1)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-6 (4-3, K, 1B, K, 4-3, K)
3a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-2 (BB, BB, L-7, 1B, R)
3b. Donnie Cimino, PH-LF: 0-2 (F-9, 1-3)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 3-4 (5-3, HBP, 1B, E2-CI, 1B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, SB)
5. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-5 (F-9, K, K, 1B, BB, 5-3, 2 R, 2 RBI)
6. Alex Bautista, RF: 3-4 (3B, F-7, BB, 1B, 1B, 4 R, RBI)
7. Joey Martarano, DH: 1-4 (6-3, F-8, 2B, 5-3, F-8 SF, R, 4 RBI)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-5 (4-3, 2B, K, E-6, FC)
9. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (BB, 6-3, 1B, F-8, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
AZL CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Enrique de los Rios: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/FO, 72 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
AZL CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. LF Shawon Dunston Jr : F-7 (fielding error allowed runner score from 1st on a double)
2. CF Robert Garcia: E-8 (fielding error allowed batter to advance an extra base on a single)
3. RF Alex Bautista: E-9 (throwing error on sacrifice fly allowed runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
AZL CUBS BASERUNING GAFFES:
1. Robert Garcia - thrown out 2-1 attempting to score from 3rd on pitch that bounded away from catcher
2. Jhonny Pereda - thrown out 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF)