Cubs Bash A's in AZL Action at Fitch Park
Alex Bautista reached base four times (a triple, two singles, and a walk) and scored four runs, Waldimir Galindo reached base five times (three singles, an HBP, and an E-2 catcher's interference), stole a base, scored three runs, and drove-in another, Joey Martarano collected four RBI (two RBI GO, a sacrifice fly, and a ringing RBI double into the LF corner), and Andruw Monasterio knocked-in three runs with two run-scoring singles, drew a walk, stole a base, and scored a run, as the AZL Cubs belted out 15 hits, drew six walks, and received one HBP, and scored three runs in the 5th, four in the 6th, and three more in the 8th, en route to a 12-8 thrashing of the AZL Athletics in Arizona League action Wednesday might on Field #4 at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ. .
The defensive Play of the Game was an outstanding stop of a bounder behind 2nd base by 18-year old AZL Cubs SS Andruw Monasteio, who then did a "360" leap and fired a strike to second-baseman Carlos Sepulveda to retire the A's baserunner on a force-out.
Shawon Dunston Jr (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL) continued his rehab, playing LF for six innings and going 1-2 at the plate, with two walks, a single, and a run scored. He also committed a fielding error in left field.
RHP Craig Brooks (Cubs 2015 7th round draft pick - Catawba College) made his pro debut in the game, and it didn't go too well. The 22-year old came on in relief to start the bottom of the 6th with the Cubs leading 9-2, and allowed four runs (all four runs earned) on three hits (two singles and a double) and a walk (plus one strikeout) in just 1/3 of an inning. He struggled with his control (21 pitches - only 10 strikes), and generally looked uncomfortable (very hyper) on the mound.
Brooks, who led NCAA Division 2 in strikeouts and K/9 in 2015, displayed a 90-92 MPH fastball that he could not throw for strikes, a sweeping slider that is probably more cutter than breaking ball, and a change-up.
Here is the abridged box score from Wednesday night's game (Cubs players only)
AZL CUBS LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 2-5 (K, 1B, BB, K, 1B, 3-1)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-6 (4-3, K, 1B, K, 4-3, K)
3a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-2 (BB, BB, L-7, 1B, R)
3b. Donnie Cimino, PH-LF: 0-2 (F-9, 1-3)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 3-4 (5-3, HBP, 1B, E2-CI, 1B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, SB)
5. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-5 (F-9, K, K, 1B, BB, 5-3, 2 R, 2 RBI)
6. Alex Bautista, RF: 3-4 (3B, F-7, BB, 1B, 1B, 4 R, RBI)
7. Joey Martarano, DH: 1-4 (6-3, F-8, 2B, 5-3, F-8 SF, R, 4 RBI)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-5 (4-3, 2B, K, E-6, FC)
9. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (BB, 6-3, 1B, F-8, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
AZL CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Enrique de los Rios: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/FO, 72 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
AZL CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. LF Shawon Dunston Jr : F-7 (fielding error allowed runner score from 1st on a double)
2. CF Robert Garcia: E-8 (fielding error allowed batter to advance an extra base on a single)
3. RF Alex Bautista: E-9 (throwing error on sacrifice fly allowed runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
AZL CUBS BASERUNING GAFFES:
1. Robert Garcia - thrown out 2-1 attempting to score from 3rd on pitch that bounded away from catcher
2. Jhonny Pereda - thrown out 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF)
Arizona Phil 12 hours 12 min ago (view)
AAA leagues really need to play through the month of September, because with September rosters being limited to 28 instead of 40, players will need to be moved back & forth between MLB and AAA throughout the month of September instead of just through the month of August.
Mike Wellman 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
I get you, SW. Here in Des Moines, Cardinal fans flocked to I-Cub games when Memphis Redbirds were in town. That won't happen in '21 and even if it does in '22 & beyond it won't be as frequent as when they were in the same division. Not that I'll miss seeing Cardinal gear @ our ballpark...
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Ervin claimed by Braves. So we lose a potential future (and also current) asset in exchange for one year of a very mediocre Jake Marisnick.
This team has no direction at the moment.
Sonicwind75 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
As a midwest kid now living in Texas, new scheduling is a bummer. Only get a chance to drive and see Cubs once every 3 years with interleague. Really looked forward to those games in Round Rock and the one season in San Antonio. I understand it makes more sense in the big picture, just selfishly disappointed.
Cubster 2 days 22 hours ago (view)
Barry Foote bobble day! Cool!
Mornington Crescent 3 days 32 min ago (view)
They also gave away Larry Craig bobblefoot dolls as a promotion.
crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
alcantara passes through waivers and is assigned to AAA.
marisnick contract final, phllip ervin (OF) DFA'd
Hagsag 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
Yes they did.
crunch 3 days 19 hours ago (view)
welcome to the "big time" st paul saints...they built a nice park, the fans showed up, and they go from indies to AAA (with a bit of $ help from the twins for part ownership).
billy murray is a part owner of the group that owns the saints, btw.
Mike Wellman 3 days 20 hours ago (view)
Hagsag, the River Bandits made the cut tho, right?
Craig A. 3 days 21 hours ago (view)
Could have an option year remaining. Bleacher Nation walked it back, per the link above.
Hagsag 3 days 21 hours ago (view)
Living in the Quad Cities area, I look forward to hopefully coming to Des Moines to see the I Cubs a few times this summer.
CubbyBlue 3 days 22 hours ago (view)
CTSteve 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
It was time.
Hagsag 4 days 6 hours ago (view)
Love it Jackstraw.
Arizona Phil 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed OF Cameron Maybin to a 2021 minor league contract.
Because he was an Article XX-B MLB free-agent post-2020, he gets the automatic $100K retention bonus and June 1st player opt-out if he is not released or added to the MLB 40-man roster by MLB Opening Day.