AZL Angels Rally to Edge AZL Cubs at Sloan Park
Jahmal Jones crushed a three-run HR and Chad Hinshaw drilled an RBI double and a single, reached base on an HBP, and scored a run, as the AZL Angels rallied for a run in the 7th and a run in the 8th to edge the AZL Cubs 5-4 in Arizona League action last night at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
Jose Paniagua belted an RBI double and a single and scored two runs and Michael Foster (Cubs 2015 16th round draft pick - Northeastern U.) singled twice and reached base on an HBP for the Cubs in a losing cause. Foster also turned-in the defensive play of the game, a diving catch in short right-field in the top of the 4th inning.
2B Angelo Amendolare (Cubs 2015 27th round draft pick - Jacksonville U.) has been sent to the AZL Cubs from AAA Iowa, where he provided some bench depth for the I-Cubs for the past couple of weeks after four Iowa position players (Andreoli, Chambers, Dent, and Valaika) found their way to the DL within a seven-day period in early July. Amendolare is a mature, polished college senior with experience in the Cape Cod League who was one of the Top 50 hitters in NCAA D-1 in 2015. He went 0-4 in his AZL Cub debut Monday night.
Here is the abridged box score from last night's game (Cubs players only):
AZL CUBS LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-5 (F-7, E-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1-3 SH, F-8, 1B, 6-3 DP)
3. Angelo Amendolare, 2B: 0-4 (L-9, 5-3, F-8, 5-3, RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, 2B, 1B, K, 2 R, RBI)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, K, 5-3, RBI)
6. Michael Foster, RF: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, HBP)
7. Yohan Matos, C: 0-3 (HBP, 5-3, 6-4 FC, 3-U, SB)
8. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 2-U, 6-3, 1B)
9. Donnie Cimino, LF: 1-4 (1B, K, L-4, K, R)
AZL CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HBP, 1 HR, 2 WP, 4/3 GO/FO, 57 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Jesus Castillo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 32 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Luis Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Ariel Ovando: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
AZL CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Carlos Jimenez: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Jose Paniagua: E-3 (missed catrch on what would have been 5-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
AZL CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 1-3 CS, 2 PB)
crunch 2 hours 9 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote
George Altman 3 hours 25 min ago (view)
Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.
Arizona Phil 3 hours 46 min ago (view)
DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.
Arizona Phil 4 hours 40 min ago (view)
I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).
Hagsag 12 hours 43 min ago (view)
Maybe, if he makes the roster!
Charlie 18 hours 16 min ago (view)
Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?
Cubster 21 hours 4 min ago (view)
Is the Chafin experiment over yet?
crunch 21 hours 11 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
even with the loss the cubs officially clinched a playoff slot tonight, though.
crunch 21 hours 19 min ago (view)
oh, it's totally the hitters unless the coach is forcing guys into trying ill advised changes...which is doubtful to the point of obsurdity for this many slumping hitters.
it's just that a near team-wide hitting outage with no one getting "fixed" isn't a good look for a hitting coach.
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 30 min ago (view)
How many hitting coaches would that be over the past five years?
At a certain point maybe it's just the hitters? I love the current group but we've been burning through hitting coaches recently
crunch 21 hours 58 min ago (view)
anthony iapoce might want to start updating his resume...
i'm not saying it's his fault, but it doesn't seem like much is going right with the bats and it's getting worse over time.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 19 min ago (view)
I look at the 8 man pen for next year and would assume 6 RHP 2 LHP. The LHP would currently be two of Ryan, Wieck, and Steele (and I guess Osich but I suspect he's non-tendered).
The 6 RHP would be from Kimbrel, Wick, Tepera, Adam, Underwood, Alzolay, Winkler, Rea (and potentially others). I feel like they're only keeping one of Tepera/ Winkler for final arb year. Tough to say which is better value at this point.
crunch 23 hours 37 min ago (view)
im impressed tepera has "only" given up 2hr in 19.2ip, but i wouldn't hold out on that holding up. also, his control is sketchy as ever...
he's got promising stuff, but at age 33 (few weeks from now) what more does he have to learn/show?
it would probably cost the cubs 1.5m or so to keep him around (900K this year). they liked something about him to pick him up, but who knows where that's at now...
Arizona Phil 1 day 29 min ago (view)
Two Cubs reached significant milestones today:
1. OF Jason Heyward now has "10/5 no trade" rights and so he cannot be traded without his consent (he had a partial "no trade" the past couple of seasons);
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
happ / contreras / rizzo / baez / schwarber / bote(3rd) / maybin(RF) / martinez(DH) / hoerner(2nd)
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
r.brothers, down...Q, up