Spingola Bat Speaks Loud & Clear in Pro Debut at Sloan Park
Daniel Spingola belted an opposite-field RBI double into the LF corner (first pro hit) to give the Cubs the lead and next batter 18-year old Andruw Monasterio followed with a towering two-run home run off the LF foul pole (first pro HR) to highlight a four-run 7th, as the AZL Cubs rallied to overwhelm the AZL Rangers 11-5 in Arizona League action Tuesday night at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
P. J. Higgins collected four hits (a triple, a double, and two singles), drove-in a run, and scored two more, D. J. Wilson tripled, singled twice, and scored twice, Jose Paniagua singled three times (including two run-scoring hits) and scored a run, and Carlos Sepulveda singled, doubled, walked, scored three runs, and drove-in another with an RBI GO, to aid the Cubs cause.
RHRP Jared Cheek (Cubs 2015 21st round draft pick - U. of Georgia) threw two perfect innings for the Cubs to pick-up a two-inning save. Cheek was moved-down to the AZL Cubs last week after struggling at Eugene, but he dominated the young Ranger hitters in his AZL debut.
Cubs 2015 31st round draft pick Daniel Spingola (Georgia Tech) was activated from the AZL Cubs 7-day DL prior to the game, making his pro debut (as DH) a bit later than most of the other 2015 Cubs draft picks. (Only 2015 3rd round pick LHP Bryan Hudson has yet to make his game debut, although he is throwing "live" BP). Spingola suffered a college baseball career-ending ankle injury prior to the ACC tournament in May, but the Cubs drafted him anyway.
Spingola was also selected by the Cubs in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft (24th round), but he elected to return to Tech for his senior year to complete his degree in biomedical engineering. So by rule, Spingola had to give his approval before the Cubs could draft him again after failing to sign him after drafting him the previous year.
In addition to his 7th inning RBI double, Spingola also flied out to right in the 2nd, walked in the 3rd, lined out to shortstop on the 5th, and singled in the 8th, going 2-4 for the night.
INF Varonex Cuevas was released to make room for Spingola on the AZL Cubs active roster. .
Here is the abridged box score from Tuesday night's game (AZL Cubs players only):
AZL CUBS LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 1-5 (4-3, 1B, 1-3, 6-3, 6-3, RBI)
2. D. J. Wilson, CF: 3-5 (3B, 6-3, 1B, F-7, 1B, 2 R)
3. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 2-4 (3-U, BB, 6-4-3 DP, 1B, 2B, 3 R, RBI)
4. P. J. Higgins, 3B: 4-5 (1B, 2B, 3B, 5-3, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 3-5 (5-4 FC, P-4, 1B, 1B, 1B+E7, R, 2 RBI)
6. Michael Foster, LF: 0-5 (5-3, E-6, K, K, 5-3, RBI)
7. Daniel Spingola, DH: 2-4 (F-9, BB, L-6, 2B, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-5 (1B, K, F-8, HR, F-8, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 0-3 (HBP, F-8, P-4, 6-3)
AZL CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Manny Rondon: 4.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 3 WP, 1 BALK, 4/4 GO/FO, 70 pitches (49 strikes)
2. Tyler Skulina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Tanner Griggs: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 6/0 GO/FO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R. 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes);
AZL CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. P Manny Rondon: E-1 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to reach 2nd base)
2. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely);
3. P Tanner Griggs: E-1 (errant throw to 3rd base on delayed stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
AZL CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-2 CS