Shawon Dunston Jr (Cubs) and Natanael Delgado (Angels) stroked consecutive two-out run-scoring singles to highlight a three-run 1st inning, as the Angels/Cubs co-op team edged the Diamondbacks 5-4 in Opening Day Arizona Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon at Diablo Stadium Complex Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was called by mutual agreement after 6-1/2 innings of play.
Austin Byler and Gabriel Guerrero (Vladimir's nephew) belted solo home runs and 2015 1st overall draft pick Dansby Swanson plated a run with a sacrifice fly for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
The Angels/Cubs roughed-up Diamondbacks starter Archie Bradley, as the D'backs top pitching prospect allowed four runs on six hits and a walk (and two WP) in just 1.1 IP.
Cubs LHP Eric Jokisch (staying in shape for a possible call-up to Chicago) got the start for the Angels/Cubs squad, allowing three runs on six hits (four singles, a triple, and a home run) in 6.1 IP (70 pitches - 51 strikes), with three strikeouts (all three swinging), no walks, one nifty pick-off at 1st base, and an impressive 10/3 GO/AO (including two timely DP grounders).
Taylor Teagarden caught the game for the Angels/Cubs, but did not take an AB. Like Jokisch, Teagarden is staying in shape in Arizona while awaiting a possible call-up to Chicago.
Johnny Giavotella (on LAA 15-day since 8/20 with nerve palsy that has caused "double-vision") played 2B and led-off for the Angels/Cubs, going 1-4 at the plate (a single and a run scored). Barring a medical setback, Giavotella is expected to be reinstated from the DL and rejoin the Angels this coming weekend.
The Arizona "Advanced" Instructional League is sort of a junior AFL, with older players than you would normally find at "basic" instructs. Among other things, "advanced" instructs provides a platform for MLB players (like Angels 2B Johnny Giavotella) who are rehabbing from an injury or illness (the minor league season is over, so it is no longer possible to send players on a conventional minor league rehab assignment), and playing time for players staying in game shape (like Eric Jokisch and Taylor Teagarden) pending a possible call-up to the big leagues prior to the concluision of the MLB regular season or during the post-season and for more-advanced prospects who were unable to find placement on an AFL roster. (The Angels/Cubs co-op "advanced" iInstructs squad is where injured Cubs reliever Jason Motte will likely go if and when he is cleared to throw off a mound).
There are only five "advanced" AZIL teams: Cubs/Angels (co-op), Diamondbacks, Rangers, Reds, and Royals. There are two advanced AZIL games scheduled every day, and so each advanced AZIL team gets a bye every fifth day (just like the AZL).
All of the organizations with teams in "advanced" AZIL (except the Cubs) also field teams in the basic (traditional) AZIL. The traditional AZIL features 16 teams, including two Mariners squads ("white" and "blue") and one KBO team (SK Wyverns). There were two Korean teams in traditional AZIL the previous couple or three years, but the NC Dinos aren't sending players to Arizona this year.
Also, the Royals will be extending their Instructs a week or two beyond when the other teams are done, and so the AZIL Royals have scheduled games against local JC and college teams after everybody else has finished up and gone home.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined)
1a. Colin Bray, CF: 0-2 (6-3, K)
1b. Zach Nehrir, PH-CF: 1-1 (1B)
2. Dansby Swanson, SS: 0-2 (4-3, L-8 SF, 6-4-3 DP, RBI)
3. Henry Castillo, DH: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, 6-3)
4. Austin Byler, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, 4-3, R, RBI, PO)
5. Gabriel Guerrero, RF: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI)
6a. Grant Heyman, LF: 0-2 (5-3, 5-4-3 DP)
6b. Victor Reyes, LF: 0-0 (BB, SB)
7a. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
7b. Sergio Alcantara, 2B: 0-1 (4-3)
8a. Jose Munoz, 3B: 1-2 (1B, K, R)
8b. Dawel Lugo, 3B: 0-1 (P-3)
9a. Stryker Trahan, C: 1-2 (3B, L-6, R, RBI)
9b. Jose Herrera, C: NO AB
1. Johnny Giavotella: 2B: 1-4 (6-3, P-3, F-8, 1B, R)
2. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-1 (1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Chesny Young, SS: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, K, 6-3, R, SB)
4. Zach Houchins, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, L-7, 4-3, R)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, E-5, 3-1, R, RBI)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
7. Natanael Delgado, RF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-7, RBI)
8. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, 3-6 FC)
9a. Michael Strentz, DH #3: 1-1 (1B, BB)
9b. Kody Eaves, PH: 0-1 (L-9)
10. Bo Way, CF: 0-3 (4-6 FC, K, 1-3)
11. Taylor Teagarden, C: NO AB
NOTE: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Archie Bradley: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 3/1 GO/AO, 45 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Mason McCullough: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Keegan Long: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Steve Hathaway: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Myles Smith: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
1. Eric Jokisch: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 2 GIDP, 10/3 GO/AO, 70 pitches (51 strikes)
2. Matt Brazis: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 2
1. C Stryker Trahan: E-2 (throwing error after RBI single allowed batter to advance from 1st base to 2nd)
2. 3B Jose Munoz: E-5 (two base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: NONE
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Stryker Trahan: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Taylor Teagarden: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
ATTENDANCE: 27 (mostly scouts)
2015 ANGELS/CUBS CO-OP ADVANCED AZ INSTRUCTIONAL LEAGUE ROSTER
37 players (15 LAA/22 CUBS)
* bats or throws left
# bats both
Victor Alcantara (LAA)
Paul Blackburn (CUBS)
Matt Brazis (CUBS)
Tyler Carpenter (LAA)
David Garner (CUBS - thru 10/10)
Joe Gatto (LAA)
* Ronnie Glenn (LAA)
Michael Jensen (CUBS)
* Eric Jokisch (CUBS)
* Jordan Minch (CUBS)
Garrett Nuss (LAA)
Steve Perakslis (CUBS)
Eduardo Paredes (LAA)
James Pugliese (CUBS)
Tayler Scott (CUBS)
Tyler Skulina (CUBS)
Duane Underwood Jr (CUBS)
* Rob Zastryzny (CUBS - thru 10/10)
Cael Brockmeyer (CUBS - thru 10/10)
# Victor Caratini (CUBS)
Michael Strentz (LAA)
Taylor Teagarden (CUBS)
Wade Wass (LAA)
* Kody Eaves (LAA)
Andrew Daniel (LAA)
Johnny Giavotella (LAA) - MLB DL REHAB
Zach Houchins (LAA)
Gleyber Torres (CUBS)
* Dan Vogelbach (CUBS)
Chesny Young (CUBS)
* Alex Abbott (LAA)
Jeffrey Baez (CUBS)
Charcer Burks (CUBS)
* Rashad Crawford (CUBS)
* Natanael Delgado (LAA)
* Shawon Dunston Jr (CUBS)
* Bo Way (LAA)
AZL Cubs manager Carmelo Martinez is seving as co-manager of the Angels/Cubs co-op squad, and Cubs minor league coaches Mike Mason, Guillermo Martinez, and Leo Perez are also on-board.