Royals Latest Victims of Angel-Cub Detente
Victor Caratini (Cubs) and Shawon Dunston Jr (Cubs) ripped run-scoring singles and Wade Wass (Angels) contributed an RBI double, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-2 victory over the Royals in Arizona Advanced Instructional League play this afternoon on Field #2 at the Papago Sports Complex in Phoenix, AZ.
The game was halted by mutual consent after seven innings of play.
Cubs infielder Jason Vosler was moved-up to the "advanced" instructs squad from the "basic" squad prior to the game.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1. Johnny Giavotella, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 1-U, F-7, P-2, R)
2. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-4 (P-1, K, K, 4-6-3 DP)
3. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 3-U, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, 3-U, BB, PO)
5. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K, R)
7. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K, R, RBI)
8a. Wade Wass, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 2B, RBI)
8b. Andrew Daniel, PH: 0-0 (BB)
9. Jason Vosler, SS: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, SB)
1. Humberto Arteaga, 2B-DH: 2-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
2. Orlando Calixte, SS: 1-3 (BB, K, F-9, 1B)
3. Elier Hernandez, RF: 0-4 (6-4 FC, L-6, K, P-4)
4a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
4b. Gabriel Cancel, 3B: 0-1 (1-3)
5. Anderson Miller, CF: 0-2 (BB, F-9, 4-3, R, SB)
6a. Chad Johnson, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B)
6b. Colton Frabasilio, C: 1-1 (1B)
7. Chase Vallot, DH #1:1-3 (2B, E-5, F-7, RBI)
8. Samir Duenas, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-8)
9a. Roman Collins, LF: 0-1 (5-2 FC)
9b. Christhian Vasquez, LF: 0-1 (4-3, BB, R)
10. Austin Bailey, DH-2B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, 1-3)
1. Garrett Nuss: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Tyler Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
6. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
1. Eric Skoglund: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/4 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Pedro Fernandez: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 37 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Jacob Bodner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
4. Josh Staumont: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (13 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Kody Eaves: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wade Wass: 0-1 CS
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Johnson: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures 105+
ATTENDANCE: 22 (mostly scouts)
erich081 3 hours 18 min ago (view)
Brach in during a one run game where the ball seems to be flying out of the park? I too like to live dangerously.
Eric S 3 hours 34 min ago (view)
Robel’s 454 foot splashdown - 6th longest homer by a Cub this season
Arizona Phil 4 hours 59 min ago (view)
RHP Aneuris Rosario (2014 IFA - Dominican Republic) has been reinstated from the Disqualified List. Now 24, Rosario spent four seasons in the DSL (2014-17) and was the one-time closer for DSL Cubs #1. He hasn't pitched since 2017.
Charlie 5 hours 20 min ago (view)
Last hurrah as a starter before the Cubs trade for an outfielder who gets on base?
crunch 6 hours 19 min ago (view)
i wonder why almora's started almost every game the past week+, especially since he's sucked at it...and he even got to hit leadoff for a game or 2.
Charlie 6 hours 46 min ago (view)
Oof. Almora and Maldonado as starters is going to be rough on the offense. Better hope for at least a Garcia triple.
crunch 7 hours 32 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / bryant / rizzo / garcia(2nd) / heyward / almora / maldo / a.mills
ham gets a AAA rehab start tomorrow. also, i could do with less almora.
QuietMan 13 hours 49 min ago (view)
Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,
George Altman 14 hours 3 min ago (view)
Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.
Mike Wellman 16 hours 12 min ago (view)
I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 33 min ago (view)
Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!
i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.
Charlie 17 hours 5 min ago (view)
Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.
He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.
That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.
Arizona Phil 1 day 43 min ago (view)
Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
cubs lose, cards win, brews win.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.
Charlie 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?