Royals Latest Victims of Angel-Cub Detente
Victor Caratini (Cubs) and Shawon Dunston Jr (Cubs) ripped run-scoring singles and Wade Wass (Angels) contributed an RBI double, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-2 victory over the Royals in Arizona Advanced Instructional League play this afternoon on Field #2 at the Papago Sports Complex in Phoenix, AZ.
The game was halted by mutual consent after seven innings of play.
Cubs infielder Jason Vosler was moved-up to the "advanced" instructs squad from the "basic" squad prior to the game.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1. Johnny Giavotella, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 1-U, F-7, P-2, R)
2. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-4 (P-1, K, K, 4-6-3 DP)
3. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 3-U, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, 3-U, BB, PO)
5. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K, R)
7. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K, R, RBI)
8a. Wade Wass, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 2B, RBI)
8b. Andrew Daniel, PH: 0-0 (BB)
9. Jason Vosler, SS: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, SB)
1. Humberto Arteaga, 2B-DH: 2-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
2. Orlando Calixte, SS: 1-3 (BB, K, F-9, 1B)
3. Elier Hernandez, RF: 0-4 (6-4 FC, L-6, K, P-4)
4a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
4b. Gabriel Cancel, 3B: 0-1 (1-3)
5. Anderson Miller, CF: 0-2 (BB, F-9, 4-3, R, SB)
6a. Chad Johnson, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B)
6b. Colton Frabasilio, C: 1-1 (1B)
7. Chase Vallot, DH #1:1-3 (2B, E-5, F-7, RBI)
8. Samir Duenas, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, F-8)
9a. Roman Collins, LF: 0-1 (5-2 FC)
9b. Christhian Vasquez, LF: 0-1 (4-3, BB, R)
10. Austin Bailey, DH-2B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, 1-3)
1. Garrett Nuss: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Tyler Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 24 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
6. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
1. Eric Skoglund: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/4 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Pedro Fernandez: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 37 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Jacob Bodner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
4. Josh Staumont: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (13 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Kody Eaves: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wade Wass: 0-1 CS
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chad Johnson: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures 105+
ATTENDANCE: 22 (mostly scouts)
Hagsag 2 hours 37 min ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.
Karl Pagel Blues 5 hours 19 min ago (view)
Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!
crunch 9 hours 53 min ago (view)
no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning. phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this. lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.
also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.
George Altman 11 hours 40 min ago (view)
Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.
Alexander Dimm 13 hours 42 min ago (view)
Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read. However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it. I hope you can hang in there.
Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.
Childersb3 14 hours 19 min ago (view)
I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.
Hope it stays in any form possible.
Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.
bradsbeard 14 hours 59 min ago (view)
Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.
Sonicwind75 17 hours 14 min ago (view)
Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site. I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s. Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter. I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.
Hagsag 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Thank you Phil, I can see this is a work of love.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Cubs Reportedly Sign Powerful Infielder Alejandro Rivero Out of Indy Ball: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/21/cubs-reportedly-sign-powe...
crunch 2 days 14 hours ago (view)
* except for playing 1st base
crunch 4 days 10 hours ago (view)
a lot of people were all-in on it being a 2022 thing, but given how MLB has held the DH over the player's heads like it's some kind of extremely valuable chip worth more than the players seem to think it's worth...who knows...
Cubster 4 days 12 hours ago (view)
any estimates on the chances of the DH in the NL anytime soon?
crunch 4 days 12 hours ago (view)
k.schwarber is hella good at post-season baseball.
crunch 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
e.castillo and t.payne off the 40man in 100% totally expected moves.
both are/were catcher organizational depth.