Byler Leaves Angels/Cubs in the Dust at Talking Stick
Austin Byler stroked an RBI double and a single and Victor Reyes singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, as the Diamondbacks rallied to edge the Angels/Cubs co-op squad 6-5 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this morning on Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called by mutual consent after 6-1/2 innings of play.
Michael Strentz (Angels) belted an opposite-field solo home run and drove-in another run with a sacrifice fly and Chesny Young (Cubs) and Andrew Daniel (Angels) each singled twice, walked, and stole a base for the Angels/Cubs in a losing cause.
Carolina League batting champion Chesny Young got another start at shortstop (he also played SS on Wednesday), and commited a fielding error. He certainly has the required range, but it remains to be seen if he has the overall defensive skills required to handle the position. (Young is a natural second-baseman).
RHRP Matt Brazis (Cubs) had a poor outing, as the Diamondbacks rallied for three runs by way of a lead-off double followed by three singles in the 5th against him to take the lead. (Brazis allowed a solo HR and a single in 2/3 of an inning versus the D'backs on Wednesday).
RHP Ethan Elias (Cubs 2011 22nd round draft pick - Canadian Junior National team) got the start for the Diamondbacks and worked two innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits. He also commited a throwing error on a pick-off attempt at 2nd base. Elias was released by the Cubs following the 2013 season and pitched in independent ball for Normal (Frontier League) in 2014, before signing with the Diamondbacks at a tryout camp prior to the start of Spring Training. He was a rotation starter at Kane County in 2015 and had a decent year, going 11-6 with a 3.19 ERA and 1.32 WHIP and 85 K in 118.1 IP for the Cougars.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Bo Way, CF: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, K, R, CS)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 2-3 (3-U, 1B, 1B, BB, R, SB, CS)
3. Natanael Delgado, LF: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K, RBI)
4. Zach Houchins, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Andrew Daniel: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, 1-3, RBI, SB)
6. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, L-8)
7. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-3, 5-3, F-8, R, SB)
8. Michael Strentz, C-DH: 2-2 (F-9 SF, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3, L-3, F-9)
10. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 0-1 (3-1)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1a. Victor Reyes, LF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Grant Heyman, LF: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Dansby Swanson, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, BB, F-9, R)
3a. Austin Byler, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
3b. Jose Munoz, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Gabriel Guerrero, RF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 2B, R)
5. Henry Castillo, DH-3B: 1-3 (F-9, 3-6 FC, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Dawel Lugo, 3B-DH: 1-2 (5-3, BB, 1B, R)
7a. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 0-2 (E-6, K, R)
7b. Sergio Alcantara, 2B: 0-1 (6-3, RBI)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (L-4, L-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 1-1 (1B)
9a. Zach Nehrir, CF: 1-2 (3B, 3-1, RBI)
9b. Colin Bray, CF: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP)
1. Tyler Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Ronnie Glenn: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Eduardo Paredes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Matt Brazis: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
1. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/1 GO/AO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Mason McCullough: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Cameron Gann: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Keegan Long: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Steve Hathaway: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel - E-5 (throwing error allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Austin Byler - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Ethan Elias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd bsse allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Strentz: 0-1 CS, 2 PB
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 1-4 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures 100+
Arizona Phil 17 hours 47 min ago (view)
VIDEO: Zach Davis and Rochest Cruz are (were) probably the two fastest players (sprint-speed on the bases) in the Cubs system (though not Cruz anymore, obviously).
Arizona Phil 18 hours 2 min ago (view)
Cubs minor league RHRP Ben Hecht (Cubs 2017 12th round pick - Wichita State) had TJS a couple of days ago.
videographer 21 hours 1 min ago (view)
Rochest Cruz had some success in the DSL a couple of years ago. Too bad he didn't pan out. Carlos Pacheco showed power numbers in the DSL two or three years ago along with a high K rate.
tim815 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
The rush to 70 players.
Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released OF Luis Berrelleza, INF Rochest Cruz, LHP Misael Garcia, OF Orlando Guzman, C-1B Brayan Mancilla, RHP Yander Montero, OF Carlos Pacheco, and OF John Rodriguez.
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
it screws up stats. i know you play for wins/losses, but real money is on the line for players and makes agent/player homework selling their client a bit harder.
it also makes historical comparisons difficult.
the amount of time i've seen a fresh inning starting out...bunt guy to 3rd for an out, IBB, IBB is too high. what would amount to a leadoff single following that can easily turn into 2 runs (1 earned) with guys on the corner...which usually leads to another IBB.
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Jay Jaffe has a timely argument against the runner on second rule over at fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-runner-on-second-i...
I still don't know why we don't just have ties. Obviously, the Cubs could have dodged most of these situations by simply hitting a little bit during the regulation innings.
Arizona Phil 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed free-agent RHSP Adrian Sampson to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa, and RHP Michael McAvene, LHP Jack Patterson, and OF Donnie Dewees have been placed on the 60-day IL to open up slots for Sampson, Trayce Thompson, and Kyle Ryan on the Cubs minor league 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
well that sucked.
2-game sweep, 2 games under .500
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
stumbled onto this today...clip from a 2019 ESPN broadcast game with boog, chipper jones, and david ross in the booth...
boog used to call games for ATL, btw...
tim815 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
Someone on social media was floating Yoelqui Cespedes to the Cubs in a Bryant trade.
I was clueless if it was permitted. It is.
Wrigley Rat 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have traded for outfielder Trayce Thompson, who was with the Diamondbacks at Triple-A, but is formerly of the big league White Sox, Dodgers, and A’s. The Diamondbacks are getting cash in the deal, which is a reflection of the reality that Thompson, 30, is a depth outfielder at this point in his career. Thompson is the younger brother of NBA star Klay Thompson. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/05/11/cub...
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
i'd like to point out ross feels more comfortable with j.pederson and k.bryant in CF over j.heyward.
watching heyward not just look human in the OF, but having a bit of a hard time is rough. he's just not getting to stuff like he used to.
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
bryant out of the game for no apparent reason...that...doesn't seem good...
he's "under the weather" according the clubhouse. that's better than screwed up oblique or similar, at least.
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
this shane bieber guy kinda sucks. 1 run in, bases loaded 0 outs.
i hope 4-5 innings of alzolay and the 5 pen guys after him hold it down.
...hey wow, bases loaded 0 out turns into 0 runs...very cubs.
George Altman 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Baseball wants more offense, fans want more action -- limit pitching staffs to 12, ideally transition to 11 over a 3 year period.
Teams are asking RPs to throw only 45 pitches a week. Think about that.
SPs who throw 175 IP/Yr will be museum pieces in 5 years.
It's not shifts. Oh....and electronic Strike zones as soon as possible.