Byler Leaves Angels/Cubs in the Dust at Talking Stick
Austin Byler stroked an RBI double and a single and Victor Reyes singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, as the Diamondbacks rallied to edge the Angels/Cubs co-op squad 6-5 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this morning on Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called by mutual consent after 6-1/2 innings of play.
Michael Strentz (Angels) belted an opposite-field solo home run and drove-in another run with a sacrifice fly and Chesny Young (Cubs) and Andrew Daniel (Angels) each singled twice, walked, and stole a base for the Angels/Cubs in a losing cause.
Carolina League batting champion Chesny Young got another start at shortstop (he also played SS on Wednesday), and commited a fielding error. He certainly has the required range, but it remains to be seen if he has the overall defensive skills required to handle the position. (Young is a natural second-baseman).
RHRP Matt Brazis (Cubs) had a poor outing, as the Diamondbacks rallied for three runs by way of a lead-off double followed by three singles in the 5th against him to take the lead. (Brazis allowed a solo HR and a single in 2/3 of an inning versus the D'backs on Wednesday).
RHP Ethan Elias (Cubs 2011 22nd round draft pick - Canadian Junior National team) got the start for the Diamondbacks and worked two innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits. He also commited a throwing error on a pick-off attempt at 2nd base. Elias was released by the Cubs following the 2013 season and pitched in independent ball for Normal (Frontier League) in 2014, before signing with the Diamondbacks at a tryout camp prior to the start of Spring Training. He was a rotation starter at Kane County in 2015 and had a decent year, going 11-6 with a 3.19 ERA and 1.32 WHIP and 85 K in 118.1 IP for the Cougars.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Bo Way, CF: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, K, R, CS)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 2-3 (3-U, 1B, 1B, BB, R, SB, CS)
3. Natanael Delgado, LF: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K, RBI)
4. Zach Houchins, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Andrew Daniel: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, 1-3, RBI, SB)
6. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, L-8)
7. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-3, 5-3, F-8, R, SB)
8. Michael Strentz, C-DH: 2-2 (F-9 SF, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3, L-3, F-9)
10. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 0-1 (3-1)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1a. Victor Reyes, LF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Grant Heyman, LF: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Dansby Swanson, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, BB, F-9, R)
3a. Austin Byler, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
3b. Jose Munoz, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Gabriel Guerrero, RF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 2B, R)
5. Henry Castillo, DH-3B: 1-3 (F-9, 3-6 FC, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Dawel Lugo, 3B-DH: 1-2 (5-3, BB, 1B, R)
7a. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 0-2 (E-6, K, R)
7b. Sergio Alcantara, 2B: 0-1 (6-3, RBI)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (L-4, L-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 1-1 (1B)
9a. Zach Nehrir, CF: 1-2 (3B, 3-1, RBI)
9b. Colin Bray, CF: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP)
1. Tyler Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Ronnie Glenn: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Eduardo Paredes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Matt Brazis: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
1. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/1 GO/AO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Mason McCullough: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Cameron Gann: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Keegan Long: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Steve Hathaway: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel - E-5 (throwing error allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Austin Byler - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Ethan Elias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd bsse allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Strentz: 0-1 CS, 2 PB
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 1-4 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures 100+
crunch 1 hour 22 min ago (view)
not sure, but i think it's around 130-135m right now even with bryant/baez/contreras still on board...including the 3m to set darvish free and other random $$ expenses on the roster.
tack on another 3-4m for happ when that gets settled....plus other odds/ends that have a chance to make the roster (s.miller, a.morgan, j.holder, etc) and other pre-arbitration guys...
cubs still need someone to back up contreras (if he sticks around, which i wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around)...not sure if taylor gushue is gonna be that guy and m.amaya is too young.
George Altman 2 hours 11 min ago (view)
Seriously, what's the 2021 payroll number? Currently at approximately $165M and after they trade Bryant, Baez, & Contreras - $130M. Is that it, $135-140M.
crunch 2 hours 16 min ago (view)
Q to the angels...supposedly 1/8m
crunch 11 hours 11 min ago (view)
pete ricketts (the governor of Nebraska ricketts) is a key part of an anti-gambling Nebraska group called "Gambling With The Good Life" that actively lobbied their open legislature...including a speech by pete...to keep gambling illegal in Nebraska.
he last spoke for the group to the state government in-session 3 months ago.
...it's also worth mentioning all of this is separate from the Draft Kings/Wrigley Field deal that flew under the radar toward the end of the season that will put a sportsbook directly in wrigley field, itself.
Charlie 11 hours 47 min ago (view)
Of all the things, why does this most make me want to punch
Cubster 17 hours 29 min ago (view)
I thought the Cubs had lost a rising star in Porter, seems the just got lucky with him leaving the organization.
crunch 1 day 48 min ago (view)
jared porter...damn dude...mets gm, ex cubs director of scouting...
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
cubs freeing up that chatwood + lester loot sure did help...wait...sigh.
Cubster 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Plus Chatwood signing w Bluejays is done.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
...and done. 1 year deal with a mutual option.
Cubster 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Dolorous in discussions with the Washington Schwarbs.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
that's where i'd put my money. he gave up an alarming amount of HR last season, giving pause. still, he's shown he's better than a 5 slot guy...
Cubster 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
God knows, the pitching staff needs more Garlick but the offense needs to ward off those strikeout demons.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Has to be Paddack
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
SD picks up joe musgrove from PIT...
they have Snell/Darvish/Musgrove/Lamet and a nice race for the 5th slot. wow.
tim815 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
None are official. The Cubs haven't officially turned in paperwork on anyone.