Byler Leaves Angels/Cubs in the Dust at Talking Stick
Austin Byler stroked an RBI double and a single and Victor Reyes singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, as the Diamondbacks rallied to edge the Angels/Cubs co-op squad 6-5 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this morning on Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called by mutual consent after 6-1/2 innings of play.
Michael Strentz (Angels) belted an opposite-field solo home run and drove-in another run with a sacrifice fly and Chesny Young (Cubs) and Andrew Daniel (Angels) each singled twice, walked, and stole a base for the Angels/Cubs in a losing cause.
Carolina League batting champion Chesny Young got another start at shortstop (he also played SS on Wednesday), and commited a fielding error. He certainly has the required range, but it remains to be seen if he has the overall defensive skills required to handle the position. (Young is a natural second-baseman).
RHRP Matt Brazis (Cubs) had a poor outing, as the Diamondbacks rallied for three runs by way of a lead-off double followed by three singles in the 5th against him to take the lead. (Brazis allowed a solo HR and a single in 2/3 of an inning versus the D'backs on Wednesday).
RHP Ethan Elias (Cubs 2011 22nd round draft pick - Canadian Junior National team) got the start for the Diamondbacks and worked two innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on three hits. He also commited a throwing error on a pick-off attempt at 2nd base. Elias was released by the Cubs following the 2013 season and pitched in independent ball for Normal (Frontier League) in 2014, before signing with the Diamondbacks at a tryout camp prior to the start of Spring Training. He was a rotation starter at Kane County in 2015 and had a decent year, going 11-6 with a 3.19 ERA and 1.32 WHIP and 85 K in 118.1 IP for the Cougars.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Bo Way, CF: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, K, R, CS)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 2-3 (3-U, 1B, 1B, BB, R, SB, CS)
3. Natanael Delgado, LF: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K, RBI)
4. Zach Houchins, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Andrew Daniel: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, 1-3, RBI, SB)
6. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, K, L-8)
7. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-3, 5-3, F-8, R, SB)
8. Michael Strentz, C-DH: 2-2 (F-9 SF, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3, L-3, F-9)
10. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 0-1 (3-1)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1a. Victor Reyes, LF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Grant Heyman, LF: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Dansby Swanson, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, BB, F-9, R)
3a. Austin Byler, 1B: 2-2 (2B, 1B, RBI)
3b. Jose Munoz, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Gabriel Guerrero, RF: 1-3 (F-9, K, 2B, R)
5. Henry Castillo, DH-3B: 1-3 (F-9, 3-6 FC, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Dawel Lugo, 3B-DH: 1-2 (5-3, BB, 1B, R)
7a. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 0-2 (E-6, K, R)
7b. Sergio Alcantara, 2B: 0-1 (6-3, RBI)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (L-4, L-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 1-1 (1B)
9a. Zach Nehrir, CF: 1-2 (3B, 3-1, RBI)
9b. Colin Bray, CF: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP)
1. Tyler Carpenter: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Ronnie Glenn: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Eduardo Paredes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Matt Brazis: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
1. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/1 GO/AO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Mason McCullough: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Cameron Gann: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Keegan Long: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Steve Hathaway: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel - E-5 (throwing error allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Austin Byler - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Ethan Elias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd bsse allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Strentz: 0-1 CS, 2 PB
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 1-4 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures 100+
Arizona Phil 5 hours 6 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 8 hours 32 min ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 9 hours 10 min ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 9 hours 18 min ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 9 hours 35 min ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 9 hours 39 min ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.
Cubster 9 hours 45 min ago (view)
On the bright side regarding Kimbrel. It doesn't have the lasting bad side as the Mets arrangement with Bobby Bonilla. Unless they want to re-negotiate Kimbrel's terms.
Eric S 11 hours 12 min ago (view)
Watching the last night's highlight clip was not encouraging either as discussed here: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/08/craig-kimbrels-intrasquad-performance-is-a-reminder-of-the-concerns-that-already-existed/
crunch 15 hours 48 min ago (view)
i still can't believe this front office paid anyone 16m a year to throw 60-70ip...
Eric S 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
anthony rizzo is in mid-season form.
he sat out today with lower back tightness.
BobbyD 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Well, back in February (I think; that was about 17 years ago now), our diaper staining commander in his own mind declared we had 15 cases in the U.S. and that would quickly go to zero. 130k dead and rapidly rising now 4 months later I still have brain dead neighbors in SoCal saying if Biden gets elected we're screwed. I wonder what they think screwed looks like.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.
8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.