Angels/Cubs Detente Defeats Reds
Donnie Dewees led-off the bottom of the 1st inning with an opposite-field solo home run over the LF fence, walked twice, and scored two runs, Jose Briceno doubled twice, walked, and scored two runs, and Roberto Baldoquin (RBI single), Eddy Julio Martinez (two-run double), Hutton Moyer (RBI single), and Andrew Daniel (RBI single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a six-run second inning, as the Angels/Cubs co-op team took an early 8-1 lead and cruised to a 9-5 victory over the Reds in Opening Day Arizona Advanced Instructional League game action Monday afternoon on Field #3 at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
Daniel Sweet hammered a solo home run in the 3rd and Nick Senzel (2nd overall pick in the 2016 June draft) belted a monster two-run HR over the left-centerfield fence in the 9th for the Reds in a losing cause.
The AZ "Advanced" Instructional League is sort of a junior AFL, with older players than what you would normally find at "basic" (traditional) instructs. Among other things, "advanced" instructs provides playing time for prospects who were unable to find placement on an AFL roster.
There are only four "advanced" AZIL teams this year (Rangers, Reds, Royals, and the Angels/Cubs co-op team), down one from last season (the Diamondbacks are not fielding an "advanced" instructs team this year).
All of the organizations with teams in "advanced" AZIL (except the Cubs) also field teams in the basic (traditional) AZIL. The traditional AZIL features 13 MLB organizations (the Cubs and the Mariners are not participating in "basic" AZIL league play this year), one KBO team (SK Wyverns), and a team from the Peoples Republic of China.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined)
1a. T. J. Friedl, LF: 0-2 (F-8, K, BB)
1b. Satchel McElroy, LF: 0-2 (P-4, K)
2. Alfredo Rodriguez, SS: 1-3 (K, 2B, BB, 2-U, BB, R)
3. Nick Senzel, 3B: 2-5 (5-3, F-9, F-8, 1B, HR, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Aristides Aquino, DH: 1-3 (BB, 1B, P-5, L-8, SB)
4b. Mitch Trees, PH: 0-1 (K)
5. Jose Siri, CF: 1-5 (K, K, F-7, 1B, K, R)
6. James Vasquez, 1B: 0-4 (F-9, BB, 4-3, F-7, 3-U)
7a. Chris Okey, C: 0-2 (4-3, P-6)
7b. Cassidy Brown, PH-C: 0-2 (P-3, F-8)
8. Daniel Sweet, RF: 2-4 (HR, K, K, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Brantley Bell, 2B: 2-4 (F-9, 2B, 1B, E-5, R, SB)
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-2 (HR, BB, F-9, BB, 2 R, RBI, CS)
2. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, L-9, F-7, R, RBI)
3. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7 SF, F-8, K, RBI)
4. Andrew Daniel, 3B-DH: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-6, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-3 (BB, 6-4 FC, F-7, 1B, R, RBI)
6a. Jose Briceno, C: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 2B, 2 R)
6b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Jason Vosler, DH-3B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, 3-1, F-8)
8. Roberto Baldoquin, SS: 1-4 (1B, 5-4-3 DP, 4-3, 3-1, R, RBI)
9. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 2-4 (2B, K, L-6, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
1. Jesus Reyes: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 8 R (8 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 5/1 GO/AO, 55 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Sandy Lugo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/5 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Lucas Benenati: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Jimmy Herget: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
1. Joe Gatto: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew Vinson: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Samil de los Santos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Greg Belton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Aaron Cox: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 B, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
7. Jose Paulino: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
8. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
REDS ERRORS: 1
C Cassidy Brown: E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jason Vosler: E-5 (two-out two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely & unearned run to score)
REDS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cassidy Brown: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 0-2 CS
REDS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 1
CF Jose Siri - threw out batter (Eddy Julio Martinez) 8-4 attempting to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 14 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 min 38 sec ago (view)
Shelby Miller...? Really?
crunch 7 hours 5 min ago (view)
i like the cubs odds on this one.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 59 min ago (view)
Ian Happ arbitration figures are $4.1M (player) and $3.25M (club) with hearing date TBD.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 2 days 55 min ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 3 days 17 min ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
crunch 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
K Dub 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 3 days 15 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 1 week 8 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.
CubbyBlue 1 week 9 hours ago (view)
Thanks Eric. After I put it up I thought.. damn I'm old. I wonder if people even remember back that far. I still think about that day. Uggh. Sorry.