Angels/Cubs Detente Defeats Reds
Donnie Dewees led-off the bottom of the 1st inning with an opposite-field solo home run over the LF fence, walked twice, and scored two runs, Jose Briceno doubled twice, walked, and scored two runs, and Roberto Baldoquin (RBI single), Eddy Julio Martinez (two-run double), Hutton Moyer (RBI single), and Andrew Daniel (RBI single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a six-run second inning, as the Angels/Cubs co-op team took an early 8-1 lead and cruised to a 9-5 victory over the Reds in Opening Day Arizona Advanced Instructional League game action Monday afternoon on Field #3 at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
Daniel Sweet hammered a solo home run in the 3rd and Nick Senzel (2nd overall pick in the 2016 June draft) belted a monster two-run HR over the left-centerfield fence in the 9th for the Reds in a losing cause.
The AZ "Advanced" Instructional League is sort of a junior AFL, with older players than what you would normally find at "basic" (traditional) instructs. Among other things, "advanced" instructs provides playing time for prospects who were unable to find placement on an AFL roster.
There are only four "advanced" AZIL teams this year (Rangers, Reds, Royals, and the Angels/Cubs co-op team), down one from last season (the Diamondbacks are not fielding an "advanced" instructs team this year).
All of the organizations with teams in "advanced" AZIL (except the Cubs) also field teams in the basic (traditional) AZIL. The traditional AZIL features 13 MLB organizations (the Cubs and the Mariners are not participating in "basic" AZIL league play this year), one KBO team (SK Wyverns), and a team from the Peoples Republic of China.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined)
1a. T. J. Friedl, LF: 0-2 (F-8, K, BB)
1b. Satchel McElroy, LF: 0-2 (P-4, K)
2. Alfredo Rodriguez, SS: 1-3 (K, 2B, BB, 2-U, BB, R)
3. Nick Senzel, 3B: 2-5 (5-3, F-9, F-8, 1B, HR, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Aristides Aquino, DH: 1-3 (BB, 1B, P-5, L-8, SB)
4b. Mitch Trees, PH: 0-1 (K)
5. Jose Siri, CF: 1-5 (K, K, F-7, 1B, K, R)
6. James Vasquez, 1B: 0-4 (F-9, BB, 4-3, F-7, 3-U)
7a. Chris Okey, C: 0-2 (4-3, P-6)
7b. Cassidy Brown, PH-C: 0-2 (P-3, F-8)
8. Daniel Sweet, RF: 2-4 (HR, K, K, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Brantley Bell, 2B: 2-4 (F-9, 2B, 1B, E-5, R, SB)
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-2 (HR, BB, F-9, BB, 2 R, RBI, CS)
2. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, L-9, F-7, R, RBI)
3. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7 SF, F-8, K, RBI)
4. Andrew Daniel, 3B-DH: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-6, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
5. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-3 (BB, 6-4 FC, F-7, 1B, R, RBI)
6a. Jose Briceno, C: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 2B, 2 R)
6b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Jason Vosler, DH-3B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, 3-1, F-8)
8. Roberto Baldoquin, SS: 1-4 (1B, 5-4-3 DP, 4-3, 3-1, R, RBI)
9. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 2-4 (2B, K, L-6, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
1. Jesus Reyes: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 8 R (8 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 5/1 GO/AO, 55 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Sandy Lugo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/5 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Lucas Benenati: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Jimmy Herget: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
1. Joe Gatto: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew Vinson: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Samil de los Santos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Greg Belton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Aaron Cox: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 B, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
7. Jose Paulino: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
8. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (12 strikes)
REDS ERRORS: 1
C Cassidy Brown: E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jason Vosler: E-5 (two-out two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely & unearned run to score)
REDS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cassidy Brown: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 0-2 CS
REDS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 1
CF Jose Siri - threw out batter (Eddy Julio Martinez) 8-4 attempting to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 14 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 7 hours 16 min ago (view)
"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.
Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""
crunch 8 hours 12 min ago (view)
"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.
Cubster 13 hours 2 min ago (view)
Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.
Jackstraw 1 day 53 min ago (view)
Don't let short-term market fluctuations diminsh your enthusiasm for a great long-term investment.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
freddy freeman + aaron nola are also positive star players.
the scary thing is freeman tested negative on tuesday. by thursday he was sick and tested positive shortly afterwards. some may question the strength of the MLB test if they were the ones who gave freeman's initial negative...
Cubster 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
COVID positive: LeMahieu NYY; Sano MIN; S Perez KC.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
phillies now have 7 down with covid...freddy freeman (ATL) has symptomatic covid with fever/chills/aches for the past 3 days...some players on multiple teams are still awaiting initial test results so they can join spring training 2.0 with their teams...
also, this photo of pablo sandoval (SF) taking grounders at 3rd... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcHFTylVcAAE5SI?format...
Cubster 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Wittenmeyer tweet: Hendricks and Darvish combine for 4 Ks in a pair of scoreless half-innings.
Press box wag: "Cubs hitting sucks this year"
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
2020 schedule to be announced monday (tentative).
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.
LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA. ow. that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.
Hagsag 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.
twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).
crunch 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade! sigh...
but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.
crunch 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.
Arizona Phil 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.