Break-Up Team Banks!
Chris Pieters tripled, singled twice, scored three runs, and knocked-in another, Gustavo Polanco belted a two-run double and a single and scored a run, Sam Tidaback drilled a two-run double, singled, and walked, Aramis Ademan doubled twice and scored two runs and drove-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and Zack Short tripled and singled and scored two runs, as Team Banks hammered out 16 hits (including seven XBH) en route to an 11-3 drubbing of Team Santo in Cubs Arizona Instructional League intrasquad game action Saturday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including three by Team Santo third-baseman Christopher Morel.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM SANTO LINEUP:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 6-3, R, SB, CS)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B-DH: 2-4 (1B+E5, 1B, K, 3-U, SB)
3. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-3 (L-7 SF, F-9, E-3, E-6, R, RBI, SB)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
5. Christopher Morel, 3B: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3, 5-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Luis Diaz, DH-2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Isaac Paredes, DH #2: 1-3 (3-U, F-7, 2B, R)
8a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
8b. Carlos Diaz, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Fernando Kelli, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, 5-3)
10. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM BANKS LINEUP:
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-4 (E-5, L-7, F-8, 4-3, R, SB)
2. Zack Short, 3B: 2-4 (F-8, 1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R)
3. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (F-7 SF, 2B, K, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, K, R, RBI)
5. Chris Pieters, LF: 3-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, E-3, 3 R, RBI)
6. Gustavo Polanco C-DH: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 5-U FC+E5, 4-6-3 DP, R, 2 RBI)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, F-8)
8. Sam Tidaback, DH-C: 2-3 (F-7, BB, 2B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B-DH: 1-4 (2B, K, 4-3, K)
10. Delvin Zinn, DH-2B: 1-2 (1B+E5, K, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11. Rafael Narea, DH #3: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM SANTO PITCHERS:
1. Alfredo Colorado: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1/3 GO/AO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Tyson Miller: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
6. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
TEAM BANKS PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
2. Faustino Carrera: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Garcia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Wyatt Short: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
TEAM SANTO ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base after 5-U FC allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 3B Christopher Morel; E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
4. RF Jonathan Sierra: E-9 (errant throw to 3rd base on double to RF allowed runner to score)
5. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM BANKS ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Zack Short: E-6 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Wladimir Galindo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Sam Tidaback E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
4. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM SANTO CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 1-2 CS
2. Carlos Diaz: 0-1 CS
TEAM BANKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 1-3 CS
2. Sam Tidaback: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
TEAM SANTO OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
LF Fernando Kelli - threw out batter 7-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
CF Jose Gutierrez - threw out batter 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 1 hour 4 min ago (view)
cubs sign michael hermosillo to a minor league contract
boring corner OF'r that can play CF if needed...organizational depth
crunch 12 hours 42 min ago (view)
hah! also uggg...i wonder what $20m-ish of k.bryant after a down season and uncertainty of april-june for "normal" baseball is worth to a team. we will probably find out in a month or 2, though.
Charlie 15 hours 19 min ago (view)
What's that, crunch? Kris Bryant for Robinson Canoe? Bold call!
George Altman 17 hours 43 min ago (view)
Phil, you used to put out a Top 10 or 20 Prospect list around the end of the AFL. Sometimes you would update mid year if trades or draft warranted. This is not false praise...your lists were more impactful than BA, MLB, BP to me, let alone the Cubs fan board lists. Today, the only thing I give any credence to are your evaluations and Fan Graphs Top 40. If the evaluator has only watched video then, hell, I can watch video.
crunch 21 hours 20 min ago (view)
there is no way the 2-3 guys that created most of those cubs reports have seen much more than youtube video footage as far as "live" scouting.
they seem very dedicated and eager, but there are some questionable things in their scouting reports.
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 6 min ago (view)
I'd REALLY enjoy reading Phil's list with scouting reports!!! I'd definitely trust his ratings more than most!
Here is what the ProspectsLive.com website says about seeing the players: "Our evaluation team has spent countless hours filling these boards with highly in-depth scouting reports from live looks and film study."
Either way, in my opinion, it's good to read other people's evaluations, even when they vary from our own. It gets us thinking about how confident we are in our valuations and how much we're willing to modify them based on other people's reports!
Hagsag 23 hours 45 min ago (view)
Phil, I am sure you could put together a more realistic list.
Arizona Phil 23 hours 56 min ago (view)
No offense intended, but did anybody at this site actually see these guys play?
Chase Strumpf has only "40" power?!! Andy Weber even has more power than Strumpf? Seriously? Strumpf actually has plus-power. In fact, HR power is his #1 attribute. His power tool is probably at least "60" (maybe "65").
Both Ronnier Quintero and Aramis Ademan are "45" run? Really? Ademan has average speed ("50"), and Quintero is Miguel Montero 2.0. His run tool is probably "30" (on a good day). Quintero's plus raw tools are arm and power.
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Thanks for the info.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
I just discovered this site: https://www.prospectslive.com/lists/2020/11/16/chi... (Sorry if you all know about it already!). 52 Cubs prospects listed with scouting reports! Really enjoying this one! :)
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
we all knew trades were coming...getting rid of 1-2 of the core, but at this point i wonder how much (if any) of that free'd up loot is going back into the team.
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
He clearly did not want to be remembered for selling off the core and then walking away from the team a year later. Can't blame him.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
every other contender is full of rumor news for who they'll sign...and the hot cubs rumor is kris bryant won't be traded before the wednesday arb offer deadline. wee.
Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: The MLB contracts that are tendered on 12/2 via Central Tender Letter are are non-guaranteed contacts.
And a player signed to a non-guaranteed contract who is released prior to MLB Opening Day receives 30 days salary (paid at the minor league rate for players with split contracts) if the player is released more than 15 days prior to Opening Day, or 45 days salary (paid at the MLB rate for players signed to split contracts) if the player is released 15 or fewer days prior to Opening Day as termination pay.
jdrnym 2 days 36 min ago (view)
If a player signs one of those deals that allows a split salary or incentives to be included, does that get treated like an arbitration salary in that it's only partially guaranteed until Opening Day?
bradsbeard 5 days 10 hours ago (view)
Great info. Thanks!