Break-Up Team Banks!
Chris Pieters tripled, singled twice, scored three runs, and knocked-in another, Gustavo Polanco belted a two-run double and a single and scored a run, Sam Tidaback drilled a two-run double, singled, and walked, Aramis Ademan doubled twice and scored two runs and drove-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and Zack Short tripled and singled and scored two runs, as Team Banks hammered out 16 hits (including seven XBH) en route to an 11-3 drubbing of Team Santo in Cubs Arizona Instructional League intrasquad game action Saturday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including three by Team Santo third-baseman Christopher Morel.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM SANTO LINEUP:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 6-3, R, SB, CS)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B-DH: 2-4 (1B+E5, 1B, K, 3-U, SB)
3. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-3 (L-7 SF, F-9, E-3, E-6, R, RBI, SB)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
5. Christopher Morel, 3B: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3, 5-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Luis Diaz, DH-2B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7. Isaac Paredes, DH #2: 1-3 (3-U, F-7, 2B, R)
8a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
8b. Carlos Diaz, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Fernando Kelli, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 5-3, 5-3)
10. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM BANKS LINEUP:
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-4 (E-5, L-7, F-8, 4-3, R, SB)
2. Zack Short, 3B: 2-4 (F-8, 1-3, 3B, 1B, 2 R)
3. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (F-7 SF, 2B, K, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, BB, K, R, RBI)
5. Chris Pieters, LF: 3-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, E-3, 3 R, RBI)
6. Gustavo Polanco C-DH: 2-4 (1B, 2B, 5-U FC+E5, 4-6-3 DP, R, 2 RBI)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, F-8)
8. Sam Tidaback, DH-C: 2-3 (F-7, BB, 2B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B-DH: 1-4 (2B, K, 4-3, K)
10. Delvin Zinn, DH-2B: 1-2 (1B+E5, K, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11. Rafael Narea, DH #3: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
TEAM SANTO PITCHERS:
1. Alfredo Colorado: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1/3 GO/AO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Tyson Miller: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
6. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
TEAM BANKS PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
2. Faustino Carrera: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Garcia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Wyatt Short: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (17 strikes)
TEAM SANTO ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base after 5-U FC allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 3B Christopher Morel; E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
4. RF Jonathan Sierra: E-9 (errant throw to 3rd base on double to RF allowed runner to score)
5. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM BANKS ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Zack Short: E-6 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd & runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Wladimir Galindo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Sam Tidaback E-2 (overthrow on stolen base attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
4. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM SANTO CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 1-2 CS
2. Carlos Diaz: 0-1 CS
TEAM BANKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 1-3 CS
2. Sam Tidaback: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
TEAM SANTO OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
LF Fernando Kelli - threw out batter 7-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
CF Jose Gutierrez - threw out batter 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 16 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
jdrnym 8 hours 33 min ago (view)
All makes sense, but I think there is one important point of clarification in there -- are you using "practice squad" and "Club Player Pool" interchangeably? If so, I understood the first sentence of your third-to-last paragraph above to mean that Mills/Sadler/Underwood could be outrighted and still be in the Pool, therefore retaining their eligibility to re-selected to the major league active roster later in the season.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 59 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 15 hours 22 min ago (view)
the toles update is worse than his troubled past. toles has been diagnosed bipolar + schizophrenia and has been in/out of institutions over the past couple years. he can't seem to stick to any program long enough to get good treatment.
hope he turns whatever corner he needs to in order to get enough treatment to decide what kind of future he'd like to have.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 12 min ago (view)
Those two are definitely on more precarious ground once the roster is trimmed to 26, I would say.
jdrnym 18 hours 14 min ago (view)
Right, just went through the roster quick. Underwood, Sadler, same deal.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 31 min ago (view)
Can't answer the Short thing. But I'd agree with your assessment of Mills if he weren't basically a lock to make the roster.
jdrnym 20 hours 38 min ago (view)
Is Zack Short's official designation still "on optional assignment" even though he's not on the Pool? If so, he can't just be recalled even though he's on the 40-man roster, right?
And someone like Alec Mills who's on the Pool and out of options... he's virtually locked onto the active roster because he can't get taken off (via an outright) and remain eligible to be re-added. Seems like the kind of player you'd prefer to leave off the initial Pool.
crunch 21 hours 3 min ago (view)
though he went to the hospital for treatment he was never admitted, so he's yet another person who got dragged hard by Covid, but who's case isn't showing up in the hospital admission, ICU bed, or death numbers most of us are looking at.
there's a whole slew of people who have had to shut down their lives for 2-4-6-etc weeks to get over this that are falling outside of the numbers we're tracking most closely.
Cubster 21 hours 32 min ago (view)
"In yet another reminder of how insidious this particular disease can be, Hottovy says he had acted quite cautiously in public before coming down with it. Fortunately, he was able to self-isolate and avoid transmitting it to his family."
crunch 22 hours 43 min ago (view)
it'll be interesting to see how things go down when people have to start playing games in AZ. they're damn close to being "early NYC level" screwed with a lack of planning and action.
with the early plan of playing games in AZ/FL, they could have been huge economic winners with 15+ teams playing all their games in AZ (and spring training 2.0). now it's looking like some teams may not even want to fly into AZ for a few dozen "away" games.
crunch 22 hours 58 min ago (view)
cubs pitching coach tommy hottovy was diagnosed with covid-19 earlier this spring, but he is currently assumed fully recovered.
he had a 100+ degree temperature for 6 days, lost 18 pounds, and it took 30 days for him to test negative.
he's 38 years old, btw.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
at least the cubs got elston back for pretty much nothing. also, ha.
Rob Richardson 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
How many coachs, managers, and other "tier 1" individuals around the league are in higher risk groups?
Rob Richardson 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Well said Crunch.