Rangers Late Long Ball Rally Procures Tie at Riverview
Jonah McReynolds and Yeyson Yrizarri drilled run-scoring doubles to highlight a four-run 7th, Willy Diaz belted a three-run home run with two outs in the 8th, and Jairo Beras crushed a two-run HR to cap a three-run 9th, as the Rangers rallied for ten runs over the final three innings to tie the Angels/Cubs co-op team 11-11 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Friday afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Christian Villanueva (acquired by the Cubs along with Kyle Hendricks from the Texas Rangers for Ryan Dempster in 2012) knocked-in five runs with an RBI double off the LF fence in the 3rd and a monster grand slam HR over the left-centerfield fence in the 8th and Angels 2016 1st round draft pick Matt Thaiss (sacrifice fly in the 1st and RBI single in the 3rd) and Brendon Sanger (two-out two-run single in the 5th) drove-in two runs a piece to provide the lion's share of run production for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Ex-Cub minor league INF Frandy de la Rosa (traded to Texas for RHRP Spencer Patton last November) entered the game at 3B in the bottom of the 6th and reached base all three times he batted (two walks and a single) and scored two runs for the Rangers.
The Rangers scored five unearned runs in the game thanks to five costly errors by the Angels/Cubs (including three errors by first-baseman Alberto Mineo in the top of the 9th).
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1. Eric Jenkins, CF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3-U, F-9 SF, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yeyson Yrizarri, SS: 1-4 (4-3, F-7, BB, 2B, E-3, R, RBI)
3a. Isiah Kiner-Falefa, C: 0-2 (P-5, 4-3)
3b. Joe Jackson, PH-C: 0-3 (4-3, K, 3-U)
4. Jairo Beras, RF: 1-4 (L-5, K, BB, K, HR, R, 2 RBI, CS)
5a. Ti'Quan Forbes, 3B: 1-2 (F-7, 3B)
5b. Frandy de la Rosa, 3B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, 2 R)
6a. Ledarious Clark, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
6b. Kobie Taylor, LF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, K, 2 R)
7a. Luis Mendez, DH: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K)
7b. Seth Spivey, PH: 0-1 (K)
8. Willy Diaz, 1B: 1-3 (K, 5-3, HBP, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI)
9a. Charles Leblanc, 2B: 0-2 (P-4, K)
9b. Jonah McReynolds, 2B: 1-2 (2B, L-6, R, 2 RBI)
1. Donnie Dewees, LF: 0-4 (4-3, 4-6 FC, 4-3, 1-3, BB, R)
2a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (2B, E-6, 3-1, 2 R)
2b. Keith Grieshaber, 2B: 1-1 (2B, HBP, RBI, R)
3. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 2-4 (BB, 2B, 6-3, F-8, HR, 2 R, 5 RBI)
4a. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-2 (F-7 SF, 1B, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
5a. P. J. Higgins, DH: 1-3 (6-4 FC, K, 2B, R)
5b. Ian Rice, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
6a. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, 2 RBI)
6b. Zach Gibbons, RF: 1-2 (6-3, 1B)
7. Hutton Moyer, SS: 2-5 (1-3, F-7, P-4, 2B, 1B, R, CS)
8. Eddy Julio Martinez, CF: 1-4 (BB, 5-3, F-7, 1B, K, R, RBI)
9. Jose Briceno, C: 2-5 (1B, K, 2B, 5-3, P-4, R)
1. Reid Anderson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 4/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Cody Palmquist: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Yonelvy Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 41 pitches (27 strikes)
4. Peter Fairchild: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 4/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Domingo Pena: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Justin Anderson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Grayson Long: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Joe Gatto: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 6/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Aaron Cox: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Samil de los Santos: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
RANGERS ERRORS: 1
SS Yeyson Yrizarri: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Christian Villanueva: E-5 (missed catch on tag play at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Christian Villanueva: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (throwing error on same play as the E-3 fielding error allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
5. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (throwing error at 2nd base after 3-U put-out allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
RANGERS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Joe Jackson: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS
ATTENDANCE: 9 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
Hagsag 2 hours 26 min ago (view)
Explain how Lobaton is on this team?
Jackstraw 11 hours 49 min ago (view)
The Cubs have looked pretty April for the last week.
George Altman 13 hours 19 min ago (view)
I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of Arrieta and Davies to last me the rest of the summer.
crunch 15 hours 54 min ago (view)
e.sogard pitching...the highlight of the last 2 games, easy...
3 popouts...threw mid/high 60s batting practice lobs with some sink
he's scoreless through 2ip in his career. david ross career pitching comps...
crunch 16 hours 51 min ago (view)
same...only it's coffee...which isn't helping. yesterday's trash game got a sequel.
crunch 16 hours 53 min ago (view)
yeah...we can go ahead and send cory abbott back down...
crunch 17 hours 4 min ago (view)
hopefully the cubs can work out an extension for jason heyward to keep him around til then.
Hagsag 17 hours 5 min ago (view)
This game is making me drink a lot.
Dolorous Jon Lester 17 hours 16 min ago (view)
Just wait til the 2030 season, those kids will be entering their prime then. Look out NL Central!
crunch 18 hours 20 min ago (view)
im starting to think spending 12.6m of payroll on davies/arrietta while trading darvish away for davies and a slew of kids that dont even make the cubs top 10 prospect list wasn't a good idea.
oh yeah, cubs gave SD money in that deal, too...that's even better.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHP Justin Shafer (ex-MIA) from Kansas City (American Association) and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
he -really- needs to cue into this is a cubs broadcast and not a national/neutral broadcast.
dude...don't get excited about marlins 3-run homers.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
lot of people wanted him when len left. he's got a long game calling history, but not too much for baseball. he did host "baseball tonight" for ESPN for a quite a while, so the game isn't a mystery to him.
i find him a bit boring/dry. some people like that he has that oldschool "announcer voice" thing going on.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
He's uhhh.. not very good at it. Glad he wasn't the hire for the main role.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
wow...chris myers calling the cubs game for some reason (boog out for the MIA series).
he is a marquee talent, but he's not been used to call a game as far as i know.
also, zach davies looks like a kid in pajamas in those dark blue "wrigleyville" uniforms.
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
t.williams threw a 25 pitch pen thursday