Rangers Late Long Ball Rally Procures Tie at Riverview
Jonah McReynolds and Yeyson Yrizarri drilled run-scoring doubles to highlight a four-run 7th, Willy Diaz belted a three-run home run with two outs in the 8th, and Jairo Beras crushed a two-run HR to cap a three-run 9th, as the Rangers rallied for ten runs over the final three innings to tie the Angels/Cubs co-op team 11-11 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Friday afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Christian Villanueva (acquired by the Cubs along with Kyle Hendricks from the Texas Rangers for Ryan Dempster in 2012) knocked-in five runs with an RBI double off the LF fence in the 3rd and a monster grand slam HR over the left-centerfield fence in the 8th and Angels 2016 1st round draft pick Matt Thaiss (sacrifice fly in the 1st and RBI single in the 3rd) and Brendon Sanger (two-out two-run single in the 5th) drove-in two runs a piece to provide the lion's share of run production for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Ex-Cub minor league INF Frandy de la Rosa (traded to Texas for RHRP Spencer Patton last November) entered the game at 3B in the bottom of the 6th and reached base all three times he batted (two walks and a single) and scored two runs for the Rangers.
The Rangers scored five unearned runs in the game thanks to five costly errors by the Angels/Cubs (including three errors by first-baseman Alberto Mineo in the top of the 9th).
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1. Eric Jenkins, CF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3-U, F-9 SF, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Yeyson Yrizarri, SS: 1-4 (4-3, F-7, BB, 2B, E-3, R, RBI)
3a. Isiah Kiner-Falefa, C: 0-2 (P-5, 4-3)
3b. Joe Jackson, PH-C: 0-3 (4-3, K, 3-U)
4. Jairo Beras, RF: 1-4 (L-5, K, BB, K, HR, R, 2 RBI, CS)
5a. Ti'Quan Forbes, 3B: 1-2 (F-7, 3B)
5b. Frandy de la Rosa, 3B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, 2 R)
6a. Ledarious Clark, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
6b. Kobie Taylor, LF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, K, 2 R)
7a. Luis Mendez, DH: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K)
7b. Seth Spivey, PH: 0-1 (K)
8. Willy Diaz, 1B: 1-3 (K, 5-3, HBP, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI)
9a. Charles Leblanc, 2B: 0-2 (P-4, K)
9b. Jonah McReynolds, 2B: 1-2 (2B, L-6, R, 2 RBI)
1. Donnie Dewees, LF: 0-4 (4-3, 4-6 FC, 4-3, 1-3, BB, R)
2a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (2B, E-6, 3-1, 2 R)
2b. Keith Grieshaber, 2B: 1-1 (2B, HBP, RBI, R)
3. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 2-4 (BB, 2B, 6-3, F-8, HR, 2 R, 5 RBI)
4a. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-2 (F-7 SF, 1B, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
5a. P. J. Higgins, DH: 1-3 (6-4 FC, K, 2B, R)
5b. Ian Rice, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
6a. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, 2 RBI)
6b. Zach Gibbons, RF: 1-2 (6-3, 1B)
7. Hutton Moyer, SS: 2-5 (1-3, F-7, P-4, 2B, 1B, R, CS)
8. Eddy Julio Martinez, CF: 1-4 (BB, 5-3, F-7, 1B, K, R, RBI)
9. Jose Briceno, C: 2-5 (1B, K, 2B, 5-3, P-4, R)
1. Reid Anderson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 4/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Cody Palmquist: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Yonelvy Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 41 pitches (27 strikes)
4. Peter Fairchild: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 4/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Domingo Pena: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Justin Anderson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Grayson Long: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Joe Gatto: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 6/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Aaron Cox: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/AO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
6. Samil de los Santos: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
RANGERS ERRORS: 1
SS Yeyson Yrizarri: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Christian Villanueva: E-5 (missed catch on tag play at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
2. 3B Christian Villanueva: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (throwing error on same play as the E-3 fielding error allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
5. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (throwing error at 2nd base after 3-U put-out allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
RANGERS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Joe Jackson: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS
ATTENDANCE: 9 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
Wrigley Rat 21 min 40 sec ago (view)
For anyone hoping to watch the Marquee Network this spring: I'll be signing up for a free week of AT&T TV NOW (streaming service) on Sunday morning: https://www.atttvnow.com/accounts/select-plan - Marquee Network will be replaying Saturday's Spring Training opener at 7am Central and will have the Sunday game at 2pm: https://www.marqueesportsnetwork.com/schedule/febr....
crunch 3 hours 55 min ago (view)
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
From Cubs: Marquee available in Chicago area through following providers:
DIRECTV (channel 664); AT&T U-verse in SD (channel 740) and HD (channel 1740); RCN (channels 377 and 679 (HD))
MetroNet (channel 29); TVision (channel 100). Iowa’s Mediacom (Ch. 51; 768/668 in HD)
Hagsag 4 hours 43 min ago (view)
I have Direct TV. I called them today., asked what was the channel #?They didn't know.
crunch 5 hours 24 min ago (view)
there's still people figuring out if they actually will have the channel or not...it's been a weird mess. don't think comcast is on board yet and directv just slid in under the deadline with a deal to carry it. hulu has the channel, but supposedly they're not going to start carrying it for weeks.
Hagsag 6 hours 28 min ago (view)
Ok, so what time will Marque go on the air ways?
crunch 7 hours 2 min ago (view)
tomorrow's game has been moved to 6:10 MST (7:10 central) because of a threat of bad weather...sweet.
JustSayin' 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Solid % improvement for minor leaguers and nice to see the Cubs among the first organizations to break ranks to the upside. Three comments: 1. Yes, the bonus babies have already BEEN paid but that is the minority of these young men. 2.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
more spring news...
i.happ expected to primarily play CF this spring. rizzo expected to primarily hit 2nd going into the season.
Charlie 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
That's fair. And the discussion would be different if Almora were heads and shoulders above Happ defensively, which seems (surprisingly) not to be the case.
bradsbeard 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
I'm not ready to write him off from the right side just yet. One of the things I believe about Happ is that switch hitters in general just take longer to establish themselves as hitters due to having to develop and maintain two separate swings. Given that he sees fewer lefties, you kind of have to give him a little more leeway to develop there I think.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: No word yet on 2020 minor league active roster limits, but I doubt they will do anything new since the minor league 7-day IL with no doctor's note required (sometimes called the "phantom IL") allows clubs to easily rotate guys (especially pitchers) back & forth/on & off the active list.
Charlie 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
I didn't realize until today that the new network will be broadcasting almost every spring training game. Just a heads up for anyone else expecting the usual 4-6 broadcasts.
Charlie 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
I think he's going to strike out over 25% of the time, but he's shown that he can be an above average overall hitter even if he's only batting .230-.250.
I'm also not a big fan of the swing, and I'd be very skeptical of him if the ball is deadened. Stats suggest he'd benefit from a true platoon despite being a switch hitter. Sure would be nice if Almora could hold up the other end competently.
Hagsag 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Kelly C. to the Braves. Damn it.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Let us know if you see Dunderwood shagging flyballs in the OF...
First.Pitch.120 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Re: 6-8, w/ JHey in the 6 hole there are a lot of interesting things that can happen 7-9. You have the 2B slot, Happ (CF), & P slot. Happ is a Switch hitter (though admittedly better LHH), roster looks to be long on 2B options from both sides (quality issues TBD, but promising IMHO), & a slot you with pinch hit for at least x2/gm. Lots of dbl switch possibilities (w/o jacking up the rest of your lineup)
That creates some brutal match up decisions for the opposing mgr right before recycling back to Bryzzo.