Angels/Cubs Rally to Tie D'backs at Salt River
Marcus Wilson hammered a solo home run leading off the bottom of the 1st inning, walked and scored in the 3rd, and singled in the 4th, and Isan Diaz ripped an RBI double in the 1st, a two-run single in the 3rd, and another single in the 7th for the Diamondbacks, and Natanael Delgado (Angels), Shawon Dunston Jr (Cubs), and Michael Strentz (Angels) each collected a single and a double and combined to score four of their team's five runs, Wade Wass (Angels) belted an RBI triple and walked, Andrew Daniel (Angels) singled twice including the RBI hit that plated the tying run in the 8th, and Tyler Carpenter (Angels) hurled three innings of shutout ball in relief, as the Angels/Cubs co-op squad rallied for single runs in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings to tie the Diamondbacks 5-5 in AZ Advanced Instructional League play this afternoon on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called by mutual agreement after nine innings of play.
With today's tie, the Angels/Cubs co-op squad has a record of 5-1-1 through its first seven advanced instructs games.
The Diamondbacks Advanced Instructs squad is at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson participating in the Mexican Baseball Fiesta along with the Reds Advanced Instructs squad and los Naranjeros de Hermosillo, los Yaquis de Obregon, los Caneros de Los Mochis, and los Aguilas de Mexicali from the Mexican Pacific League (LMP), so the D'backs "basic" instructs squad (which had no game scheduled today) replaced the advanced squad in the advanced instructs game with the Angels/Cubs squad at Salt River Fields.
The Angels/Cubs advanced instructs squad had no game scheduled yesterday, but the Cubs contingent did participate in a full workout on Fields 1 & 2 at the Riverview Baseball Complex. RHPs Dallas Beeler, Pierce Johnson, Corey Black, Tyler Skulina, Matt Brazis, and James Pugliese threw bullpen side-sessions, and then RHPs Blake Parker, Steve Perakslis, and Michael Jensen, and LHP Jordan Minch threw "live" BP to hitters that included Victor Caratini, Dan Vogelbach, Chesny Young, Rashad Crawford, Charcer Burks, Jeffrey Baez, Shawon Dunston Jr, Willson Contreras, and Cael Brockmeyer from the "advanced" group, plus Eloy Jimenez, Jake Hannemann, D. J. Wilson, Kevonte Mitchell, and Michael Foster, who were brought over to the "advanced" work-out on Field #1 from the "basic" instructs work-out on the other side of the complex.
Here is the box score from today's game at Salt River Fields (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Bo Way, CF: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 5-3, 1-3 SH, F-7, R, RBI)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 1-5 (P-3, 4-3, 2B, E-6, P-6, RBI, CS)
3a. Zach Houchins, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-9 SF, F-9, RBI)
3b. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-2 (1-3, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 4-3, F-8)
5. Natanael Delgado, RF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 4-3, R, CS)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, L-7, 2B, R)
7. Wade Wass, C-DH: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B, BB, RBI)
8. Andrew Daniel, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, RBI)
9. Michael Strentz, DH-C: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, K, 2 R)
1a. Marcus Wilson, CF-DH: 2-2 (HR, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Daniel Comstock, PH-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
2a. Henry Castillo, 2B: 1-3 (1B, FC+E4, 4-3, 2 R)
2b. Yan Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (P-4, F-9)
3. Isan Diaz, SS: 3-4 (2B, 1B, 4-3, 1B, R, 3 RBI, CS)
4. Luke Lowery, 1B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, K, P-4)
5a. Jason Morozowski, RF: 1-3 (L-5 DP, 4-3, 1B+E4)
5b. Jacy Cave, CF: 0-1 (L-9)
6. Matt Railey, DH-RF: 2-4 (L-7, 2B, 3-U, 1B, RBI, CS)
7a. Alexis Olmeda, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
7b. Francis Christy, C: 0-2 (1-3, K)
8. Didimo Bracho, 3B: 0-4 (5-4 FC, P-6, F-8, K)
9. Logan Soole, LF: 1-4 (K, L-8, K, 1B)
1. Drew Rucinski: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
2. Eduardo Paredes: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Michael Brady: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Tyler Carpenter: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/5 GO/AO, 40 pitches (27 strikes)
1. Tyler Mark: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 36 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Marcus Solbach: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 36 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Kai-Wei Lin: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Justin Donatella: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
6. Breckin Williams: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Andrew Daniel - E-4 (errant throw on attempted 4-6 FC allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 2B Andrew Daniel - E-4 (missed catch on throw back from outfield on single to RF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 1
SS Isan Diaz - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wade Wass: 1-1 CS
2. Michael Strentz: 1-1 CS
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alexis Olmeda: 1-1 CS
2. Franicis Christy: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Shawon Dunston Jr was thrown out 3-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on infield single with two outs in the 4th
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures 95+
crunch 7 hours 38 min ago (view)
tim815 8 hours 6 min ago (view)
He's better than Taylor Davis.
Dolorous Jon Lester 8 hours 48 min ago (view)
He's at a career juncture where I think he is a toss up of he is who he is or there's a little more left for him to achieve. Playing this as his age 27 season he is either in or damn close to his peak. I personally think he doesn't need the everyday playing time, just based on the fact that he's not a top prospect, is older, and doesn't project to be a starter at any spot for a first division team.
Charlie 9 hours 46 min ago (view)
This is the take if you see him as a legit prospect. Which, maybe? I know little about him, and his numbers in limited AAA exposure last season were really nice. Maybe a lively ball helps his career.
bradsbeard 10 hours 4 min ago (view)
Sounds like a long shot to get a trade done then. Thanks for clarifying!
Arizona Phil 10 hours 24 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: Before making a trade with the Rule 5 Draft pick's former club, the drafting club must first place the player on Outright Assignment Waivers and any of the other MLB clubs can claim the player for the $50,000 waiver price and assume the Rule 5 Draft obligations (actually it's Rule 6 Selected Player obligations, but you know what I mean).
bradsbeard 11 hours 39 min ago (view)
AZ Phil, the "work out a trade" part of Rule 5 is still a mystery to me. Do the Cubs have to put Megill through waivers and (if he clears) offer him back to SD before they can trade for him?
Arizona Phil 11 hours 39 min ago (view)
For those of you who didn't see the game, here are the pitch-velo readings from Wednsdays Cubs - Royals game:
NOTES: An amazing pitcher... he's probably in mid-season form right now... just needs to gradually increase innings...
NOTES: A legit candidate to be the 5th starter
Craig A. 12 hours 38 min ago (view)
Craig A. 12 hours 39 min ago (view)
He'll be 27 in May and he's played in 36 games at AAA. Seems like he should be playing regularly.
Dolorous Jon Lester 13 hours 23 min ago (view)
I really like this idea. They've talked of a 3rd catcher as 26th meaning Phegley, who seems a waste of roster space, good spring notwithstanding. Higgins is far more interesting
tim815 16 hours 29 min ago (view)
Is Brailyn Marquez getting any time in big league camp? Having him around the veterans would seem a solid use of resources.
Thanks, as always.
Charlie 16 hours 50 min ago (view)
Hot take: The Cubs should be considering PJ Higgins as the potential 26th man. 3rd catcher / infield sub who can put the bat on the ball.
I think I'm just stealing an AZ Phil projection from a while ago, actually. But it makes sense!
Charlie 17 hours 52 min ago (view)
Zagunis's stock has dropped a lot since his first exposure to MLB pitching. His 2019 at AAA is particularly alarming given the power spike in that league.
Hagsag 23 hours 27 min ago (view)
I see that Dillon Maples hasn't pitched yet. Is he injured or spending time in the lab?
Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of 26-year old RHRP Jonathan de Marte from Quebec (Frontier League) and he has been assigned to AZL Cubs Blue.
He is the closer for Team Israel and has no previous experience in affiliated ball.
He was a NDFA out of the U. of Richmond in 2017 and has been playing independent ball for the past three seasons in the Atlantic League and Can-Am League as well as winter ball in Australia this past winter.