Angels/Cubs Rally to Tie D'backs at Salt River
Marcus Wilson hammered a solo home run leading off the bottom of the 1st inning, walked and scored in the 3rd, and singled in the 4th, and Isan Diaz ripped an RBI double in the 1st, a two-run single in the 3rd, and another single in the 7th for the Diamondbacks, and Natanael Delgado (Angels), Shawon Dunston Jr (Cubs), and Michael Strentz (Angels) each collected a single and a double and combined to score four of their team's five runs, Wade Wass (Angels) belted an RBI triple and walked, Andrew Daniel (Angels) singled twice including the RBI hit that plated the tying run in the 8th, and Tyler Carpenter (Angels) hurled three innings of shutout ball in relief, as the Angels/Cubs co-op squad rallied for single runs in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings to tie the Diamondbacks 5-5 in AZ Advanced Instructional League play this afternoon on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called by mutual agreement after nine innings of play.
With today's tie, the Angels/Cubs co-op squad has a record of 5-1-1 through its first seven advanced instructs games.
The Diamondbacks Advanced Instructs squad is at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson participating in the Mexican Baseball Fiesta along with the Reds Advanced Instructs squad and los Naranjeros de Hermosillo, los Yaquis de Obregon, los Caneros de Los Mochis, and los Aguilas de Mexicali from the Mexican Pacific League (LMP), so the D'backs "basic" instructs squad (which had no game scheduled today) replaced the advanced squad in the advanced instructs game with the Angels/Cubs squad at Salt River Fields.
The Angels/Cubs advanced instructs squad had no game scheduled yesterday, but the Cubs contingent did participate in a full workout on Fields 1 & 2 at the Riverview Baseball Complex. RHPs Dallas Beeler, Pierce Johnson, Corey Black, Tyler Skulina, Matt Brazis, and James Pugliese threw bullpen side-sessions, and then RHPs Blake Parker, Steve Perakslis, and Michael Jensen, and LHP Jordan Minch threw "live" BP to hitters that included Victor Caratini, Dan Vogelbach, Chesny Young, Rashad Crawford, Charcer Burks, Jeffrey Baez, Shawon Dunston Jr, Willson Contreras, and Cael Brockmeyer from the "advanced" group, plus Eloy Jimenez, Jake Hannemann, D. J. Wilson, Kevonte Mitchell, and Michael Foster, who were brought over to the "advanced" work-out on Field #1 from the "basic" instructs work-out on the other side of the complex.
Here is the box score from today's game at Salt River Fields (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Bo Way, CF: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 5-3, 1-3 SH, F-7, R, RBI)
2. Chesny Young, SS: 1-5 (P-3, 4-3, 2B, E-6, P-6, RBI, CS)
3a. Zach Houchins, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-9 SF, F-9, RBI)
3b. Kody Eaves, 3B: 0-2 (1-3, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 4-3, F-8)
5. Natanael Delgado, RF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 4-3, R, CS)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, L-7, 2B, R)
7. Wade Wass, C-DH: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B, BB, RBI)
8. Andrew Daniel, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, RBI)
9. Michael Strentz, DH-C: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, K, 2 R)
1a. Marcus Wilson, CF-DH: 2-2 (HR, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Daniel Comstock, PH-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
2a. Henry Castillo, 2B: 1-3 (1B, FC+E4, 4-3, 2 R)
2b. Yan Sanchez, 2B: 0-2 (P-4, F-9)
3. Isan Diaz, SS: 3-4 (2B, 1B, 4-3, 1B, R, 3 RBI, CS)
4. Luke Lowery, 1B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, K, P-4)
5a. Jason Morozowski, RF: 1-3 (L-5 DP, 4-3, 1B+E4)
5b. Jacy Cave, CF: 0-1 (L-9)
6. Matt Railey, DH-RF: 2-4 (L-7, 2B, 3-U, 1B, RBI, CS)
7a. Alexis Olmeda, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
7b. Francis Christy, C: 0-2 (1-3, K)
8. Didimo Bracho, 3B: 0-4 (5-4 FC, P-6, F-8, K)
9. Logan Soole, LF: 1-4 (K, L-8, K, 1B)
1. Drew Rucinski: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (13 strikes)
2. Eduardo Paredes: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Michael Brady: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Victor Alcantara: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Tyler Carpenter: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/5 GO/AO, 40 pitches (27 strikes)
1. Tyler Mark: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 36 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Marcus Solbach: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 36 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Kai-Wei Lin: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Justin Donatella: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
6. Breckin Williams: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Andrew Daniel - E-4 (errant throw on attempted 4-6 FC allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 2B Andrew Daniel - E-4 (missed catch on throw back from outfield on single to RF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: 1
SS Isan Diaz - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wade Wass: 1-1 CS
2. Michael Strentz: 1-1 CS
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alexis Olmeda: 1-1 CS
2. Franicis Christy: 1-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS BASERUNNING ADVENTURES:
Shawon Dunston Jr was thrown out 3-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on infield single with two outs in the 4th
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures 95+
crunch 14 hours 45 min ago (view)
deleted that link. it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.
cubbies.4ever 15 hours 34 min ago (view)
Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign? Most teams are done signing. Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations. I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.
Jackstraw 15 hours 40 min ago (view)
Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.
Cubster 16 hours 4 min ago (view)
Joey Gallo tests Positive.
Cubster 16 hours 28 min ago (view)
4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."
Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA
George Altman 17 hours 1 min ago (view)
I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.
crunch 18 hours 30 min ago (view)
"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.
The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."
neat. this is going just great.
but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.
Arizona Phil 20 hours 8 min ago (view)
With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.
Cubster 20 hours 8 min ago (view)
Cubs first Wrigley game is vs Brewers per Sun-Times. Full Schedules to come out in an hour.
Cubster 20 hours 30 min ago (view)
Dodger stadium Covid testing site was closed without notice today. Long lines, pissed off people. ClusterF*cked Americans as the virus spreads. Here is the WSCR link that says KB is pissed about the lax testing by MLB.
Cubster 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Dodger's Stadium is a testing site. Except, you can't just get a test. You have to be symptomatic. Cough, cough...this is really not going well.
Cubster 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Worrisome. Astros and Nats cancel workouts because of Covid testing delays.
Trumpy: "Anyone who wants a test, can get a test." 3-6-20. Four months ago.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.
Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.
Cubster 2 days 51 min ago (view)
Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.