Angels/Cubs Cooperative Effort Can't Stop Calixte
Orlando Calixte collected four hits (three singles and a double), stole two bases, scored a run, drove-in another, and gunned-down a baserunner 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF, Andrew Miller drilled an RBI double and a single and scored two runs, and RHRP Torey Deshazier retired all six men he faced to record the save, as the Royals rallied from an early 3-0 deficit to defeat the Angels/Cubs co-op squad 8-6 in AZ Advanced Instructional League action this morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Andrew Daniel (Angels) ripped a two-run double and a single and scored a run and Jeffrey Baez (Cubs) singled twice, stole a base, scored a run, knocked-in another, and nailed a baserunner 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF for the Angels/Cubs squad in a losing cause.
Cubs #1 pitching prospect RHP Duane Underwood got the start for the Angels/Cubs and worked five innings (68 pitches - 74% strikes), allowing two runs (one earned) on five hits (four singles and a double), with no walks, three strikeouts, and an 8/2 GO/AO. In his first advanced instructs start last Monday (also versus the Royals), Underwood threw four innings of no run/no hit ball, with two walks and five strikeouts.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1a. Carlos Garcia, 2B: 0-2 (4-3, 4-3)
1b. Austin Bailey, PH-2B: 0-3 (E-6, K, 3-U, R)
2a. Raul Adalberto Mondesi, SS: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
2b. Humberto Arteaga, PH-SS: 0-1 (BB, HBP, 6-3, CS)
3a. Jorge Bonifacio, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, P-6, 1B, R, RBI)
3b. Cam Gallagher, PH: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Ryan O'Hearn, 1B: 1-2 (3-1, 2B, R)
4b. Samir Duenez, PH-1B: 0-0 (BB, F-8 SF, R, 2 RBI)
5. Hunter Dozier, DH #2: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, BB, F-9)
6. Orlando Calixte, RF-3B: 4-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, 2 SB)
7a. Wander Franco, 3B: 1-2 (1B, 3-U)
7b. Elier Hernandez, PH-RF: 0-1 (F-9 SF, F-8, RBI)
8a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-6)
8b. Chad Johnson, PH-C: 0-2 (P-5, K)
9. Alfredo Escalera, LF: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 2B, 6-3, R, PO)
10. Andrew Miller, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, L-9, 2 R, RBI)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-5 (P-4, 1B, F-8, 1B, P-4, R, RBI, SB)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-5 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, 6-3)
3a. Victor Caratini, C: 0-2 (6-3, F-9, BB)
3b. Michael Strentz, C: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
4a. Zach Houchins, DH: 1-1 (BB, BB, 1B)
4b. Bo Way, PR: NO AB (R, PO)
NOTE: Way pinch-ran for Houchins in bottom of the 2nd, 4th, and 5th innings
4c. Natanael Delgado, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-2, F-9)
5. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, F-8, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
6. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-4 (1-3, 4-3, F-8, 3-1, 2 RBI)
7. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (1B, 3-U, P-6, K, R)
8. Wade Wass, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 5-3, RBI)
9. Kody Eaves, SS: 1-3 (1B, BB, 4-3, 4-3)
1. Eric Skoglund: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 4/3 GO/AO, 58 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Matt Tenuta: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1/5 GO/AO, 39 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Eric Stout: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Torey Deshazier: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Duane Underwood Jr: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 8/2 GO/AO, 68 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Jordan Minch: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (14 strikes)
3. James Pugliese: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 0/4 GO/AO, 28 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Michael Jensen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (3 strikes)
ROYALS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Kody Eaves - E-6 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed runner to score from 3rd)
2. SS Kody Eaves - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Kody Eaves - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PB
2. Chad Johnson: 0-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Victor Caratini: 0-1 CS. 1 PO
2. Michael Strentz: 1-2 CS
ROYALS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Orlando Calixte threw out baserunner (Kody Eaves) attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to RF
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Jeffrey Baez threw-out baserunner (Orlando Calixte) attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and a bit breezy, with temperatures 90+
Jackstraw 2 hours 26 min ago (view)
Thanks, AZ Phil
Craig A. 7 hours 11 min ago (view)
If the cardinals loose and the giants win, the cardinals will have to play and win on Monday to make the playoffs.
crunch 9 hours 39 min ago (view)
...and dodger stadium loses power.
Charlie 10 hours 46 min ago (view)
Game 2 somewhat less fun than game 1.
crunch 11 hours 57 min ago (view)
lester goes out with a whimper...7 runs given up in his last start
5.16era/1.33whip on the year.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 58 min ago (view)
JACKSTRAW: The Cardinals & Tigers will only play the first game of Monday's doubleheader (and it will be a seven-inning game) if what needs to be determined is determined by the result of the first game (the second game will be canceled), but they won't play the games at all (and the Cardinals won't go to Detroit) if everything that is affected by the two missing STL games is settled and resolved by end of MLB play on Sunday.
crunch 13 hours 20 min ago (view)
crunch 15 hours 13 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / heyward / bryant / schwarber / baez / kipnis / caratini(DH)
bryant's back, and at 3rd. neat.
Jackstraw 16 hours 59 min ago (view)
I don't know if the math works out but (at least to me) it raises the possibility that they would play one game on Monday and if that decided what was left that they'd skip game 2.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 26 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to play the doubleheader on Monday at Detroit if either the games impact who or who does not get into the playoffs, or if the games will determine whether the Cards or Cubs finish 1st in the division and get home field advantage in the Wild Card series.
Charlie 22 hours 39 min ago (view)
Maybe he should stick with it for a while.
Hagsag 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Cardinals have two games left with Detroit, not the Cubs.
blockhead25 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Ahh, 2 games against the Tigers, but seems to imply they'd only play those games if it will impact which teams make the playoffs. If the Cardinals win their last 2, I don't believe the other games could impact which Team makes it. Why would Detroit have any incentive to win those games? Well, hope the Cubs won one of the next 2 so it doesn't matter.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
yeah, it may be another team. i just know they have a possible monday double header...unless i got that wrong, too.
blockhead25 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Cubs? We played the cards the full 10 slate?
if Cards make playoffs, I would think they'd want nothing to do with having to play a double header Monday to improve playoff seeding.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
the cubs may or may not have to play a doubleheader vs STL on monday depending on the next game or 2...i think