Stranded in Diablo
Ian Rice (representing the tying run) laced a triple into the right-centerfield alley with one out in the bottom of the 9th, but closer Alex Massey induced Donnie Dewees and Julio Garcia to ground out and leave the runner stranded at 3rd, as the Royals survived the threat and edged the Angels/Cubs co-op team 2-1 in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Thursday aftenoon at Diablo Stadium in Tempe, AZ.
Amalani Fukofuka singled twice, stole a base, and scored a run for the Royals, and Donnie Dewees singled twice and stole a base for the Angels/Cubs.
There just wasn't much offense in the game (only ten hits total combined between the two teams).
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined):
1a. Nicky Lopez, SS: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, F-8, R)
1b. Marten Gasparini, SS: 0-1 (K)
2. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3 SH, F-9, P-3, F-7)
3. Elier Hernandez, DH-RF: 0-3 (F-7, BB, L-7, F-7)
4a. Chase Vallot, C-DH: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, SB)
4b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Emmanuel Rivera, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 4-6 FC, K, RBI)
5b. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6. Chris DeVito, 1B-DH: 0-3 (K, L-8, BB, K)
7a. Amalani Fukofuka, RF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7b. Roman Collins, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Ben Johnson, LF: 0-3 (5-3, BB, 6=3 FC, F-8)
9a. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-2 (E-7, K, SB)
9b. Brandon Downes, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
10. Xavier Fernandez, DH-C: 0-3 (6-3, K, K, RBI)
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 4-3, 4-3, SB)
2a. Hutton Moyer, SS: 0-2 (K, L-8)
2b. Julio Garcia, SS: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
3a. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 0-2 (L-4, P-6)
3b. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-1 (P-5)
4. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-8, P-3)
5a. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-2 (2B, F-7, R)
5b. Derek Jenkins, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
6. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, P-3, RBI)
7. Jason Vosler, 3B: 1-3 (P-5, 3-6-3 DP, 1B)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, 4-3)
9. Jose Briceno, C: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-6)
10. Ian Rice, DH #2: 1-3 (K, F-9, 3B)
1. Pedro Fernandez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Yunior Marte: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Alex Massey: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 26 pitches (18 strikes)
1. Joe Gatto: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/2 GO/AO, 59 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
ROYALS ERRORS: NONE
LF Eddy Julio Martinez: E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chase Vallot: 0-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 7 hours 14 min ago (view)
You can pretty much figure out from my AZIL game reports who the Cubs will likely target if they trade Kyle Hendricks to the Angels during the off-season (which I believe is a distinct possibility).
crunch 10 hours 34 min ago (view)
"On Wednesday, and again on Friday, manager Joe Maddon said the Angels needed to land two front-line starters or risk perpetual mediocrity. On Saturday, Mike Trout said the Angels had “a lot of money to spend” and the offseason was “going to be big.”"
$180.3m payroll and the star player + manager softly demanding more talent.
wait. you can do that?
hey d.ross and...umm...hold up...do you have to have a star player to make this kind of demand? sigh.
tim815 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Exactly. Teams realized that under-playing the rest of the season, and assessing what's currently on-hand, works. At least, better than pickung three or four spots lower on the draft board with less spending space.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
It required a good amount of luck, and the other hard part is like a third of the league are tanking now too. Last time it was basically us and Houston.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
this team is very hard to watch. i can't take this for 1-2 more years. i hope the 2022 plan is at least hybrid-competitive (team built to compete, but trade-ready if failing mid-season).
rebuilding on total destruction for a slew of 1st round picks for years is/was lame even if those 1st round picks was pretty much all that worked for the cubs in the theo-era drafts.
K Dub 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Thanks for the update on Devers. Are you able to give us some more context (velocity, pitch mix, etc)? Also, was Drew Gray included in the group you compared Devers to when you said Devers was "by far" the ACL Cubs best pitching prospect? I ask because I know Gray only pitched 4 innings this season.
crunch 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
cards 15 wins a row...franchise record
Hagsag 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have no starting pitching right now with Carl in a funk.
Eric S 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
Cubs were Nootbaar'ed to the tune of 12-4 in Game 2
Cubster 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
With a Doubleheader loss, the Cubs are back on track for a better draft choice. Right now at 67 wins they pick #7, just ahead of KC and Minnesota who have 68-69 wins.
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
the shit sandwich that is zach davies is a 6 foot party sub.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
I am celebrating the day he signs with another team this offseason. I didn't know I could hate him more than I did when he was in Milwaukee but here we are!
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
wisdom can hit some bombs when he does connect..wow.
also davies still sucks.
tim815 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
McAvene is struggling against hitters in Instructs. He's not ready for the AZ Fall League. I'd expect to see Juan Gamez otr Aneuris Rosario first. Vazquez, I agree with, entirely.
bradsbeard 3 days 9 hours ago (view)
On the position player side, Amaya if he's healthy. Chase Strumpf makes a lot of sense (missed some time early and late, missed all of last year). Nelson Velazquez maybe as a Rule 5 guy if they're on the fence. Cam Balego and Andy Weber are two other candidates if healthy. Luis Vazquez could also use more upper level PAs and would make sense.
Lots of potential pitchers. Ideally Marquez but not sure they'll let him pitch this year. McAvene is probably another one. Would be awesome if Kohl Franklin could participate.
First.Pitch.120 3 days 11 hours ago (view)