Zagunis Can Do It All at Riverview Park
Mark Zagunis singled twice, doubled, walked, stole a base, drove-in his team's lone run, and threw out a runner at the plate, in an AZ Instructional League Cubs intrasquad game played this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Although they were outhit, Team Gonzalez took advantage of three errors, six walks, an HBP, and a PB, to edge Team Johnson 2-1 in Game 3 of the "Cubs World Series." Team Johnson now leads the series, two games to one.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM GONZALEZ LINEUP:
1a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, F-9, 6-3, R)
1b. Jason Vosler, PH-CF: 1-1 (1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (FC+E5, K, 1B, E-6, K, PO)
3. Victor Caratini, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-9 SF, L-7, BB, K, K, RBI)
4a. Billy McKinney, RF: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, K)
4b. Eloy Jimenez, PH-RF: 0-1 (P-3)
5. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-2 (HBP, BB, K, K, R)
6. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 1-3 (5-4-3 DP, F-7, 1B, BB, SB)
7. Andrew Ely, DH: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, L-7, 1B)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (L-9, BB, F-7, 6-4 FC)
9a. Jordan Hankins, C-1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
TEAM JOHNSON LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (P-6, 1B, 3-1)
1b. Charlie White, CF: 0-1 (1-3)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 4-6 FC, 5-3, 1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, 3-U, 3-U, R)
4a. Kyle Schwarber, C: 0-3 (3-U, K, 3-U)
4b. Tyler Alamo, PH-C: 0-1 (K)
5. Mark Zagunis, LF: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 2B, 1B, RBI, SB, CS)
6a. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, L-9)
6b. Johan Matos, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (2B, 4-3, L-3, K, PO)
8. Jhonny Pereda, DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
9a. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (BB, K)
9b. Chesny Young, SS: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3RD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
TEAM GONZALEZ PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Jeferson Mejia: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 2/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Tanner Griggs: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (20 strikes)
5. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
TEAM JOHNSON PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (24 strikes)
4, Ryan Williams: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Carson Sands: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (20 strikes)
TEAM GONZALEZ ERRORS: NONE
TEAM JOHNSON ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (errant throw attempting 5-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely & advance to 3rd)
2. C Kyle Schwarber - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed baserunner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM GONZALEZ CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jordan Hankins: 0-1 CS
2. Victor Caratini: 1-1 CS
TEAM JOHNSON CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Kyle Schwarber: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Tyler Alamo: 1 PB
TEAM JOHNSON OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Mark Zagunis - threw out baserunner (Andrew Ely) 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line single to left
ATTENDANCE: 24 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
Charlie 3 hours 7 min ago (view)
Honestly, Urias guessed wrong on that one. But he stilled managed to make contact despite being way out in front, so that breaker must have rolled.
Charlie 3 hours 8 min ago (view)
KB having a perfectly adequate KB stretch and it's a highlight. Sigh.
Chafin may be reconsidering that jalopie after being the man on the mound when the wheels fell off in this one.
crunch 4 hours 7 min ago (view)
i know we're only 10 games in and you can't get good numbers on that, but this is a full-team hitting slump aside from marisnick and his 12 PA.
no one on this team is this bad, but all of them doing it at once is crazy. bad ABs, tons of swings and misses, crap contact...
upon reflection (and another hit in the 9th) i need to give props to k.bryant...he's a 1-man show right now for the regulars.
Eric S 4 hours 55 min ago (view)
I can pause it for pinch hitting - otherwise I'm locked in as there's nothing else to see here
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 59 min ago (view)
Me too, Eric Sogard
Eric S 5 hours 5 min ago (view)
Well, Chafin ... not your night I guess ... looks like its time to catch up on the latest installment of Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 9 min ago (view)
It's kinda starting to feel like this team sucks? But yes this game definitely sucks.
crunch 5 hours 12 min ago (view)
justin steele warming...seems like his debut is on tap.
also, this game sucks.
Eric S 5 hours 14 min ago (view)
Luis Urias is not impressed 😩
crunch 7 hours 50 min ago (view)
steele, wieck, and strop called up.
btw, strop is a "replacement player" in this move and isn't subject to 40-man roster waiver rules
crunch 8 hours 17 min ago (view)
cubs covid...chris young tested positive. j.adam, d.winkler, and b.workman are now on the "injured list"
Charlie 8 hours 42 min ago (view)
Sorry that I couldn't access things for opening day and then got busy for the next couple series. Glad to have a baseball routine to share with you all again!
Sonicwind75 9 hours 13 min ago (view)
Guessing I'm a little late to the game on this; but just read Chafin's twitter about wanting to buy a cheap car to drive around Chicago. He seems like a good dude.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
RHSP Duncan Robinson (June 2019 TJS) has retired.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Rex Brothers and Tony Wolters reached five years of MLB Service Time this weekend, so Brothers now cannot be sent outright to the minors without his consent (he is out of minor league options) and Wolters (who has a minor league option left) now cannot be optioned or outrighted to the minors without his consent.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
It's not good to play bad teams early because they have the confidence and energy they won't have later in the season after they realize they suck and all is lost.