Zagunis Can Do It All at Riverview Park
Mark Zagunis singled twice, doubled, walked, stole a base, drove-in his team's lone run, and threw out a runner at the plate, in an AZ Instructional League Cubs intrasquad game played this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Although they were outhit, Team Gonzalez took advantage of three errors, six walks, an HBP, and a PB, to edge Team Johnson 2-1 in Game 3 of the "Cubs World Series." Team Johnson now leads the series, two games to one.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM GONZALEZ LINEUP:
1a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, F-9, 6-3, R)
1b. Jason Vosler, PH-CF: 1-1 (1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (FC+E5, K, 1B, E-6, K, PO)
3. Victor Caratini, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-9 SF, L-7, BB, K, K, RBI)
4a. Billy McKinney, RF: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, K)
4b. Eloy Jimenez, PH-RF: 0-1 (P-3)
5. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-2 (HBP, BB, K, K, R)
6. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 1-3 (5-4-3 DP, F-7, 1B, BB, SB)
7. Andrew Ely, DH: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, L-7, 1B)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (L-9, BB, F-7, 6-4 FC)
9a. Jordan Hankins, C-1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
TEAM JOHNSON LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (P-6, 1B, 3-1)
1b. Charlie White, CF: 0-1 (1-3)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 4-6 FC, 5-3, 1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, 3-U, 3-U, R)
4a. Kyle Schwarber, C: 0-3 (3-U, K, 3-U)
4b. Tyler Alamo, PH-C: 0-1 (K)
5. Mark Zagunis, LF: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 2B, 1B, RBI, SB, CS)
6a. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, L-9)
6b. Johan Matos, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (2B, 4-3, L-3, K, PO)
8. Jhonny Pereda, DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
9a. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (BB, K)
9b. Chesny Young, SS: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3RD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
TEAM GONZALEZ PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Jeferson Mejia: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 2/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Tanner Griggs: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (20 strikes)
5. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
TEAM JOHNSON PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (24 strikes)
4, Ryan Williams: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Carson Sands: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (20 strikes)
TEAM GONZALEZ ERRORS: NONE
TEAM JOHNSON ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (errant throw attempting 5-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely & advance to 3rd)
2. C Kyle Schwarber - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed baserunner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM GONZALEZ CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jordan Hankins: 0-1 CS
2. Victor Caratini: 1-1 CS
TEAM JOHNSON CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Kyle Schwarber: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Tyler Alamo: 1 PB
TEAM JOHNSON OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Mark Zagunis - threw out baserunner (Andrew Ely) 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line single to left
ATTENDANCE: 24 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 1 hour 22 min ago (view)
i haven't heard anything beyond speculation. i don't even know if it was even addressed in the mlbpa/owners agreement, but i imagine it is in some way.
Sonicwind75 1 hour 27 min ago (view)
Has there been any indication on how much effort will be made to make up the games lost to a team Covid shutdown?
crunch 1 hour 32 min ago (view)
cubs gave d.bote a highlight reel tweet from his 3 notable plays last night.
crunch 3 hours 10 min ago (view)
so if the marlins keep covid'ing it up and finish with a 2-1 record do they make the playoffs with their kickass .667% winning percentage?
how does this circus work?
j/k...we're not gonna get to the playoffs.
Cubster 5 hours 8 min ago (view)
No new positives for either Marlins or Cards today. The Marlins are OK'd to play at Baltimore tonight (so far).
Cubster 5 hours 11 min ago (view)
Cardinal Coronavirus positives include: Yadi Molina, Paul DeJong. Relievers Jr Fernandez, Kodi Whitley. Inf Edmundo Sosa and Rangel Ravelo. 6 members of staff not yet disclosed.
Yadi posted on Instagram (in Spanish). DeJong also released a statement. The team is to fly to StL on Wednesday but need two consecutive days of testing negative before they can travel.
crunch 19 hours 9 min ago (view)
pen manages to string 2 good innings together...in a row!
the cubs are 8-2.
the cards are 2-3. the marlins are 2-1.
we're 1/6th of the way into this and who knows how much longer it will last...
crunch 19 hours 25 min ago (view)
"what i wouldn't give to have a man bun and a 99mph fastball" - JD on staumont
crunch 19 hours 30 min ago (view)
Eric S 19 hours 38 min ago (view)
The Adjunct Professor was dealing tonite
crunch 19 hours 55 min ago (view)
a.mills is good for 140+ pitches, right?
*looks at pen* uh...right?
he was shakey through the first 2ip and stellar since.
Cubster 19 hours 55 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to test negative for the next two days for the Cub-Cardinal series to happen this weekend (per Len Kasper)
crunch 22 hours 16 min ago (view)
game time delayed 30m
crunch 22 hours 25 min ago (view)
m.soroka (ATL) is having to be helped off the field unable to put weight on his right leg.
it looks like he really screwed something in his calf/foot area that's not specifically the ankle.
crunch 1 day 16 min ago (view)
bryant(LF) / rizzo / baez / contreras / schwarber(DH) / bote(3rd) / heyward / hoerner / happ
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
"take off your mask while you eat/drink" indoor venues has been one of the stupidest missteps in this whole thing. i can safely say if i've been hearing this in covid briefings at work for months that government leaders have, too.
it's one of the most disasterous missteps we've taken during re-opening and there is little american appetite for ending it on a government or "personal responsibility" level.