Zagunis Can Do It All at Riverview Park
Mark Zagunis singled twice, doubled, walked, stole a base, drove-in his team's lone run, and threw out a runner at the plate, in an AZ Instructional League Cubs intrasquad game played this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Although they were outhit, Team Gonzalez took advantage of three errors, six walks, an HBP, and a PB, to edge Team Johnson 2-1 in Game 3 of the "Cubs World Series." Team Johnson now leads the series, two games to one.
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM GONZALEZ LINEUP:
1a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, F-9, 6-3, R)
1b. Jason Vosler, PH-CF: 1-1 (1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (FC+E5, K, 1B, E-6, K, PO)
3. Victor Caratini, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-9 SF, L-7, BB, K, K, RBI)
4a. Billy McKinney, RF: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, K)
4b. Eloy Jimenez, PH-RF: 0-1 (P-3)
5. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-2 (HBP, BB, K, K, R)
6. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 1-3 (5-4-3 DP, F-7, 1B, BB, SB)
7. Andrew Ely, DH: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, L-7, 1B)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (L-9, BB, F-7, 6-4 FC)
9a. Jordan Hankins, C-1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, RBI)
9b. Wladimir Galindo, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
TEAM JOHNSON LINEUP:
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (P-6, 1B, 3-1)
1b. Charlie White, CF: 0-1 (1-3)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 4-6 FC, 5-3, 1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, 3-U, 3-U, R)
4a. Kyle Schwarber, C: 0-3 (3-U, K, 3-U)
4b. Tyler Alamo, PH-C: 0-1 (K)
5. Mark Zagunis, LF: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 2B, 1B, RBI, SB, CS)
6a. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, L-9)
6b. Johan Matos, PH-1B: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (2B, 4-3, L-3, K, PO)
8. Jhonny Pereda, DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
9a. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (BB, K)
9b. Chesny Young, SS: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3RD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
TEAM GONZALEZ PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Jeferson Mejia: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 2/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Tanner Griggs: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
4. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (20 strikes)
5. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
TEAM JOHNSON PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
3. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (24 strikes)
4, Ryan Williams: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Carson Sands: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (20 strikes)
TEAM GONZALEZ ERRORS: NONE
TEAM JOHNSON ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (errant throw attempting 5-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely & advance to 3rd)
2. C Kyle Schwarber - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed baserunner on 1st base to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Chesny Young - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TEAM GONZALEZ CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jordan Hankins: 0-1 CS
2. Victor Caratini: 1-1 CS
TEAM JOHNSON CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Kyle Schwarber: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Tyler Alamo: 1 PB
TEAM JOHNSON OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Mark Zagunis - threw out baserunner (Andrew Ely) 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on line single to left
ATTENDANCE: 24 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
First.Pitch.120 6 hours 7 min ago (view)
I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.
Mike Wellman 9 hours 12 min ago (view)
Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...
crunch 17 hours 45 min ago (view)
paul dejong (STL) took out the M in the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything. epic-ish.
crunch 17 hours 52 min ago (view)
i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.
Eric S 17 hours 58 min ago (view)
David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch
Cubster 18 hours 49 min ago (view)
And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.
crunch 20 hours 2 min ago (view)
never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance. in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...
also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job. everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.
Sonicwind75 21 hours 38 min ago (view)
Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game. I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field. I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive. Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.