Down Goes Frazier!
Victor Caratini blasted a two-run home run, doubled, singled twice, walked, and scored four runs, Jordan Hankins knocked-in four runs with three run-scoring singles, Kevonte Mitchell singled twice and doubled, scored twice, and drove-in a run, Chesny Young laced a bases-loaded three-run triple and a single, and Johan Matos belted a solo home run and singled, in an AZ Instructional League Cubs intrasquad game played this morning at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game was played at "Cubs Park" (home to the AZL Cubs and the Mesa Solar Sox of the AFL, and the Chicago Cubs during Spring Training in March).
Collecting 17 hits (including three doubles, a triple, and a home run), Team Gonzalez evened-up the "Cubs World Series" at two games a piece with a 15-5 drubbing of Team Johnson.
Eloy Jimenez left the game after being hit on the left arm by an Erick Leal fastball.
Several of the Cubs young sluggers competed in the annual Cubs Instructs Home Run Derby on Field #2 prior to the game, and Billy McKinney edged out Scott Frazier to take home the title.
Frazier is a pitcher, but the 6'7 fireballer was a two-way player (pitcher/outfielder) in HS, and he showed that he still knows how to swing the lumber, clubbing several prodigious shots onto the street beyond the LF fence ("Cubs Way') during the course of the contest. He then threw a 1-2-3 7th inning in the game that followed.
Here is the box score from today's game:
TEAM GONZALEZ LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-5 (1-3, P-4, BB, 4-3, F-9, L-9, RBI)
2. Andrew Ely, DH #1: 1-1 (BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST FOUR TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (F-8, BB, 6-4 FC, 6-3, 4-3, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
4. Victor Caratini, DH-C: 4-5 (1B, 2B, 1B, BB, HR, L-7, 4 R, 2 RBI)
5. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-3 (F-8, F-8 SF, 1B, BB, K, 2 R, RBI)
6. Gioskar Amaya, C-3B: 2-5 (K, 1B, 1B, P-3, 6-3, 2 R, RBI)
7. Jordan Hankins, 1B: 3-5 (E-2, 1B, 1B, 1B, 4-3, R, 4 RBI, SB)
8a. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 0-0 (HBP, SB)
8b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 3-4 (6-4 FC, 1B, 1B+E4, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
9. Wladimir Galindo, 3B-DH: 1-4 (K, F-8, 2B, K, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 5th TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
10b. Jason Vosler, PH-2B: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, R)
TEAM JOHNSON LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, K, R, RBI)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 3B, 4-3, 3 RBI, PO)
NOTE: Crawford and Young switched slots in the batting order in the 7th & 8th innings
3. Kyle Schwarber, DH: 0-3 (4-3, K, HBP, 6-3)
4a. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
4b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6 FC, K)
5a. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (F-7)
5b. Mark Zagunis, PH-RF: 0-2 (F-9, BB, K)
6a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (6-3, 1-3)
6b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
7. Johan Matos, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B+E4, F-8, HR, 2 R, RBI)
8a. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R, PO)
8b. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-2 (3-1, L-7)
9. Charlie White, LF: 0-2 (E-5, BB, F-9, R)
TEAM GONZALEZ PITCHERS:
1. Jeremy Null: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 5/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Tommy Thorpe: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 PO, 1/0 GO/FO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Yapson Gomez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Trey Hedges: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Jordan Minch: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
TEAM JOHNSON PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Santiago Rodriguez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2/4 GO/FO, 39 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 6 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 35 pitches (15 strikes)
4. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 29 pitches (18 strikes)
5. James Norwood: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 3/2 GO/FO, 38 pitches (27 strikes)
TEAM GONZALEZ ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Wladimir Galindo - E-5 (fieding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Jason Vosler - E-4 (overthrow on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
TEAM JOHNSON ERRORS: 3
1. C Jhonny Pereda - E-2 (errant throw after fielding "swinging bunt" in front of home allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. CF Rashad Crawford - E-8 (errant throw on play at the plate on RBI single allowed batter to advance an extra base)
3. 2B Chesny Young - E-4 (throwing error at home plate allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
TEAM GONZALEZ CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1 PB
TEAM JOHNSON CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
TEAM JOHNSON OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Mark Zagunis - threw out baserunner (Jordan Hankins) 9-2 trying to score from 2nd on single to right
ATTENDANCE: 17 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
George Altman 1 hour 15 min ago (view)
If this post had a 'like' button, I would press it.
Arizona Phil 1 hour 48 min ago (view)
Infielders Ed Howard IV, Fabian Pertuz, Ryan Reynolds, and Yeison Santana, 1B Grayson Byrd, and OF Darius Hill have been moved down to the Myrtle Beach (Lo-A) squad from the South Bend (Hi-A) squad at Minor League Camp.
Jackstraw 2 hours 38 min ago (view)
I think somebody finally found and turned off the SUCK mode on their Cubs game controller.
It's important we ALL do that, every day.
crunch 5 hours 57 min ago (view)
i think the cubs can risk losing shelby miller.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 43 min ago (view)
Contreras is amazing. It's why I've been so adamant that its completely nuts how often he's popped up in trade rumors.
Sonicwind75 6 hours 45 min ago (view)
And the baseball gods smite us with great vengeance.
crunch 7 hours 33 min ago (view)
in a world of bryzzo and baez, contreras deserves his props for his all-around game.
he protected lester's shortcomings for years. good luck with that 40% caught stealing rate and less people attempting it in WAS with aged alex avila and yan gomes, guy.
crunch 7 hours 51 min ago (view)
cubs are scoring runs early and have a lead.
i'm not prepared for this. deep down inside i'm nearly positive this is a good thing, but i'm going to do some research and try to make sure this is a good thing.
okay, i just checked with my friend that's a dodgers fan and this is a good thing. go cubs.
game 14...only the 2nd time with multiple extra base hits in an inning for the cubs this year according to boog.
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 6 min ago (view)
Winkler and Workman return today, Steele and Strop head to alternate site. Yay
Charlie 10 hours 50 min ago (view)
No numbers really needed to show that this offense is terrible right now, but I decided to peruse team stats today to see exactly where the Cubs have struggled the most. I was unsurprised to find they have the third highest pull %, the second lowest line drive %, and the highest K% in the majors right now. BABIP is also the lowest in the majors, whih is to be expected when the team is making poor contact and doing so in the teeth of the shift.
That's not fun baseball to watch.
Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 15 min ago (view)
Don't worry, Joc is DEFINITELY an upgrade.
CTSteve 13 hours 17 min ago (view)
And off of a lefty.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 31 min ago (view)
Most players get only three minor league options, but a player who has accrued less than five "full seasons" is eligible for a 4th minor league option.
Charlie 21 hours 1 min ago (view)
I agree that Contreras really sticks that front elbow (and shoulder and to some extent his head) pretty close to the zone. Plus he likes to reach toward the outer half to pull the ball and sometimes to lunge a little at the outside corner, so pitchers will want to work him inside frequently. He should get a thicker elbow guard.
bradsbeard 22 hours 5 min ago (view)
Sounds like Steele will be in line for a 4th option year FWIW.
crunch 23 hours 12 min ago (view)
limited capacity (and it's a "thunderstick" giveaway night), but LAD @ SD is practically a playoff level atmosphere here in april.
this one could be hot for years.