Royals Lay Lumber to Angels/Cubs at Surprise
Humberto Arteaga and Chris DeVito smacked back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the 5th and Brandon Downes (solo blast in the 7th) and Ben Johnson (two-run shot in the 8th) belted home runs as part of a 15-hit attack, as the Royals cruised to an 8-5 victory over the Angels/Cubs co-op team in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Tuesday afternoon on Field #1 (AKA "George Brett Field") at the Kansas City Royals Player Development Complex in Surprise, AZ.
SP Joe Gatto hurled four innings of shutout ball and Andrew Daniel (two RBI singles) and Eddy Julio Martinez (RBI triple and RBI FC) knocked-in two runs a piece for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined;
1. Donnie Dewees, CF-DH: 1-4 (F-8, E-8, 2B, 1-3, 2 R)
2a. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
2b. Cody Ramer, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. Ian Rice, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, L-1 DP)
3b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 1-1 (1B)
4. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B, R, PO)
5. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-4 (6-3, K, 3B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-2 (1B, E-8, BB, BB, R, PO)
7. Jose Briceno, C: 1-4 (1B+E8, K, P-2, K, RBI)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-4 (1-3, 6-3, F-7, 1-U)
9. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 2B, 4-3)
10. Jahmai Jones, DH-CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, F-8)
1. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B+E5, BB, 5-3, R)
2a. Humberto Arteaga, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
2b. Marten Garparini, SS: 1-1 (1B)
3a. Samir Duenez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, CS)
3b. Chris DeVito, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
4. Elier Hernandez, RF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 3-U)
5a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-5)
5b. Xavier Fernandez, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Anderson Miller, LF: 0-2 (3-U, K)
6b. Ben Johnson, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Vance Vizcaino, CF: 0-2 (6-3, L-9)
7b. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-1 (BB, K)
8a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8b. Emmanuel Rivero, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Angelo Castellano, DH #2: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, P-3)
10a. Brandon Downes, DH #3: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, 2 R, RBI)
10b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (3B, R)
NOTE: Castellano and Viloria switched slots fourth time thru batting order
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Joe Gatto: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/AO, 64 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 2/0 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Scott Blewett: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Corey Ray: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Franco Terrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
3. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PO
2. Xavier Fernandez: 1 PO
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. LF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF
2. RF Jahmai Jones - threw out baserunner 9-2 attempting to score from 1st base on two-out single to RF on 3-2 pitch
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Arizona Phil 9 hours 27 min ago (view)
The Cubs have officially signed C-1B Alberto Mineo to a 2020 minor league contract and he has been assigned to AA Tennessee.
A native of Italy, Mineo was signed by the Cubs as a 16 year old J-2 IFA in November 2010. He was one of three players signed by the Cubs out of the MLB European Academy in Turin, Italy in the years 2008-10 (Italian RHP Alex Maestri and Dutch INF Dwayne Kemp were the other two).
Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 15 min ago (view)
No argument there. Plays an excellent violin though.
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
tim815 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
He's better than Taylor Davis.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
He's at a career juncture where I think he is a toss up of he is who he is or there's a little more left for him to achieve. Playing this as his age 27 season he is either in or damn close to his peak. I personally think he doesn't need the everyday playing time, just based on the fact that he's not a top prospect, is older, and doesn't project to be a starter at any spot for a first division team.
Charlie 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
This is the take if you see him as a legit prospect. Which, maybe? I know little about him, and his numbers in limited AAA exposure last season were really nice. Maybe a lively ball helps his career.
bradsbeard 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Sounds like a long shot to get a trade done then. Thanks for clarifying!
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: Before making a trade with the Rule 5 Draft pick's former club, the drafting club must first place the player on Outright Assignment Waivers and any of the other MLB clubs can claim the player for the $50,000 waiver price and assume the Rule 5 Draft obligations (actually it's Rule 6 Selected Player obligations, but you know what I mean).
bradsbeard 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
AZ Phil, the "work out a trade" part of Rule 5 is still a mystery to me. Do the Cubs have to put Megill through waivers and (if he clears) offer him back to SD before they can trade for him?
Arizona Phil 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
For those of you who didn't see the game, here are the pitch-velo readings from Wednsdays Cubs - Royals game:
NOTES: An amazing pitcher... he's probably in mid-season form right now... just needs to gradually increase innings...
NOTES: A legit candidate to be the 5th starter
Craig A. 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Craig A. 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
He'll be 27 in May and he's played in 36 games at AAA. Seems like he should be playing regularly.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
I really like this idea. They've talked of a 3rd catcher as 26th meaning Phegley, who seems a waste of roster space, good spring notwithstanding. Higgins is far more interesting
tim815 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Is Brailyn Marquez getting any time in big league camp? Having him around the veterans would seem a solid use of resources.
Thanks, as always.
Charlie 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Hot take: The Cubs should be considering PJ Higgins as the potential 26th man. 3rd catcher / infield sub who can put the bat on the ball.
I think I'm just stealing an AZ Phil projection from a while ago, actually. But it makes sense!
Charlie 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Zagunis's stock has dropped a lot since his first exposure to MLB pitching. His 2019 at AAA is particularly alarming given the power spike in that league.