Royals Lay Lumber to Angels/Cubs at Surprise
Humberto Arteaga and Chris DeVito smacked back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the 5th and Brandon Downes (solo blast in the 7th) and Ben Johnson (two-run shot in the 8th) belted home runs as part of a 15-hit attack, as the Royals cruised to an 8-5 victory over the Angels/Cubs co-op team in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Tuesday afternoon on Field #1 (AKA "George Brett Field") at the Kansas City Royals Player Development Complex in Surprise, AZ.
SP Joe Gatto hurled four innings of shutout ball and Andrew Daniel (two RBI singles) and Eddy Julio Martinez (RBI triple and RBI FC) knocked-in two runs a piece for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined;
1. Donnie Dewees, CF-DH: 1-4 (F-8, E-8, 2B, 1-3, 2 R)
2a. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
2b. Cody Ramer, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. Ian Rice, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, L-1 DP)
3b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 1-1 (1B)
4. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B, R, PO)
5. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-4 (6-3, K, 3B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-2 (1B, E-8, BB, BB, R, PO)
7. Jose Briceno, C: 1-4 (1B+E8, K, P-2, K, RBI)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-4 (1-3, 6-3, F-7, 1-U)
9. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 2B, 4-3)
10. Jahmai Jones, DH-CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, F-8)
1. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B+E5, BB, 5-3, R)
2a. Humberto Arteaga, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
2b. Marten Garparini, SS: 1-1 (1B)
3a. Samir Duenez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, CS)
3b. Chris DeVito, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
4. Elier Hernandez, RF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 3-U)
5a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-5)
5b. Xavier Fernandez, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Anderson Miller, LF: 0-2 (3-U, K)
6b. Ben Johnson, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Vance Vizcaino, CF: 0-2 (6-3, L-9)
7b. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-1 (BB, K)
8a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8b. Emmanuel Rivero, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Angelo Castellano, DH #2: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, P-3)
10a. Brandon Downes, DH #3: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, 2 R, RBI)
10b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (3B, R)
NOTE: Castellano and Viloria switched slots fourth time thru batting order
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Joe Gatto: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/AO, 64 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 2/0 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Scott Blewett: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Corey Ray: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Franco Terrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
3. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PO
2. Xavier Fernandez: 1 PO
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. LF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF
2. RF Jahmai Jones - threw out baserunner 9-2 attempting to score from 1st base on two-out single to RF on 3-2 pitch
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Cubster 9 hours 14 min ago (view)
Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...
"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)
Hagsag 11 hours 22 min ago (view)
crunch 21 hours 20 min ago (view)
It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated. coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019. last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.
we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).
Hagsag 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.
azbobbop 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site
SheffieldCornelia 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
I echo this!
Cubster 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).
Hagsag 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.
Mike Wellman 2 days 23 hours ago (view)
On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!
First.Pitch.120 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).
Wrigley Rat 3 days 20 hours ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 3 days 22 hours ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 4 days 8 hours ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Hagsag 4 days 10 hours ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.