Royals Lay Lumber to Angels/Cubs at Surprise
Humberto Arteaga and Chris DeVito smacked back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the 5th and Brandon Downes (solo blast in the 7th) and Ben Johnson (two-run shot in the 8th) belted home runs as part of a 15-hit attack, as the Royals cruised to an 8-5 victory over the Angels/Cubs co-op team in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Tuesday afternoon on Field #1 (AKA "George Brett Field") at the Kansas City Royals Player Development Complex in Surprise, AZ.
SP Joe Gatto hurled four innings of shutout ball and Andrew Daniel (two RBI singles) and Eddy Julio Martinez (RBI triple and RBI FC) knocked-in two runs a piece for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined;
1. Donnie Dewees, CF-DH: 1-4 (F-8, E-8, 2B, 1-3, 2 R)
2a. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
2b. Cody Ramer, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. Ian Rice, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, L-1 DP)
3b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 1-1 (1B)
4. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B, R, PO)
5. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-4 (6-3, K, 3B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-2 (1B, E-8, BB, BB, R, PO)
7. Jose Briceno, C: 1-4 (1B+E8, K, P-2, K, RBI)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-4 (1-3, 6-3, F-7, 1-U)
9. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 2B, 4-3)
10. Jahmai Jones, DH-CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, F-8)
1. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B+E5, BB, 5-3, R)
2a. Humberto Arteaga, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
2b. Marten Garparini, SS: 1-1 (1B)
3a. Samir Duenez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, CS)
3b. Chris DeVito, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
4. Elier Hernandez, RF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 3-U)
5a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-5)
5b. Xavier Fernandez, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Anderson Miller, LF: 0-2 (3-U, K)
6b. Ben Johnson, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Vance Vizcaino, CF: 0-2 (6-3, L-9)
7b. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-1 (BB, K)
8a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8b. Emmanuel Rivero, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Angelo Castellano, DH #2: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, P-3)
10a. Brandon Downes, DH #3: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, 2 R, RBI)
10b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (3B, R)
NOTE: Castellano and Viloria switched slots fourth time thru batting order
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Joe Gatto: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/AO, 64 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 2/0 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Scott Blewett: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Corey Ray: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Franco Terrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
3. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PO
2. Xavier Fernandez: 1 PO
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. LF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF
2. RF Jahmai Jones - threw out baserunner 9-2 attempting to score from 1st base on two-out single to RF on 3-2 pitch
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 7 min ago (view)
Lame. He was intriguing
crunch 18 hours 17 min ago (view)
cubs release matt dermody...he's heading to japan.
Cubster 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
and they are including amusement tax, healthcare costs (Doc Adams doesn't come cheap!), social security and political donations to the City and the Governor of Nebraska.
bradsbeard 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
It all depends what you count as "payroll." If you include the $11M in Lester and Descalso's buyouts plus the $3M sent in the Darvish trade you get to somewhere like $145M. If you include the $15M in estimated share of player benefits, you get to $160M. I think that last year, including player benefits, they were slated to be up around $205M for MLB payroll before the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
not sure, but i think it's around 130-135m right now even with bryant/baez/contreras still on board...including the 3m to set darvish free and other random $$ expenses on the roster.
tack on another 3-4m for happ when that gets settled....plus other odds/ends that have a chance to make the roster (s.miller, a.morgan, j.holder, etc) and other pre-arbitration guys...
cubs still need someone to back up contreras (if he sticks around, which i wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around)...not sure if taylor gushue is gonna be that guy and m.amaya is too young.
George Altman 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Seriously, what's the 2021 payroll number? Currently at approximately $165M and after they trade Bryant, Baez, & Contreras - $130M. Is that it, $135-140M.
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Q to the angels...supposedly 1/8m
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
pete ricketts (the governor of Nebraska ricketts) is a key part of an anti-gambling Nebraska group called "Gambling With The Good Life" that actively lobbied their open legislature...including a speech by pete...to keep gambling illegal in Nebraska.
he last spoke for the group to the state government in-session 3 months ago.
...it's also worth mentioning all of this is separate from the Draft Kings/Wrigley Field deal that flew under the radar toward the end of the season that will put a sportsbook directly in wrigley field, itself.
Charlie 2 days 3 min ago (view)
Of all the things, why does this most make me want to punch
Cubster 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
I thought the Cubs had lost a rising star in Porter, seems the just got lucky with him leaving the organization.
crunch 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
jared porter...damn dude...mets gm, ex cubs director of scouting...
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
cubs freeing up that chatwood + lester loot sure did help...wait...sigh.
Cubster 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
Plus Chatwood signing w Bluejays is done.
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
...and done. 1 year deal with a mutual option.
Cubster 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Dolorous in discussions with the Washington Schwarbs.