Royals Lay Lumber to Angels/Cubs at Surprise
Humberto Arteaga and Chris DeVito smacked back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the 5th and Brandon Downes (solo blast in the 7th) and Ben Johnson (two-run shot in the 8th) belted home runs as part of a 15-hit attack, as the Royals cruised to an 8-5 victory over the Angels/Cubs co-op team in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Tuesday afternoon on Field #1 (AKA "George Brett Field") at the Kansas City Royals Player Development Complex in Surprise, AZ.
SP Joe Gatto hurled four innings of shutout ball and Andrew Daniel (two RBI singles) and Eddy Julio Martinez (RBI triple and RBI FC) knocked-in two runs a piece for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined;
1. Donnie Dewees, CF-DH: 1-4 (F-8, E-8, 2B, 1-3, 2 R)
2a. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
2b. Cody Ramer, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. Ian Rice, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, L-1 DP)
3b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 1-1 (1B)
4. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B, R, PO)
5. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-4 (6-3, K, 3B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-2 (1B, E-8, BB, BB, R, PO)
7. Jose Briceno, C: 1-4 (1B+E8, K, P-2, K, RBI)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-4 (1-3, 6-3, F-7, 1-U)
9. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 2B, 4-3)
10. Jahmai Jones, DH-CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, F-8)
1. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B+E5, BB, 5-3, R)
2a. Humberto Arteaga, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
2b. Marten Garparini, SS: 1-1 (1B)
3a. Samir Duenez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, CS)
3b. Chris DeVito, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
4. Elier Hernandez, RF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 3-U)
5a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-5)
5b. Xavier Fernandez, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Anderson Miller, LF: 0-2 (3-U, K)
6b. Ben Johnson, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Vance Vizcaino, CF: 0-2 (6-3, L-9)
7b. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-1 (BB, K)
8a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8b. Emmanuel Rivero, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Angelo Castellano, DH #2: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, P-3)
10a. Brandon Downes, DH #3: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, 2 R, RBI)
10b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (3B, R)
NOTE: Castellano and Viloria switched slots fourth time thru batting order
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Joe Gatto: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/AO, 64 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 2/0 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Scott Blewett: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Corey Ray: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Franco Terrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
3. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PO
2. Xavier Fernandez: 1 PO
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. LF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF
2. RF Jahmai Jones - threw out baserunner 9-2 attempting to score from 1st base on two-out single to RF on 3-2 pitch
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Hagsag 1 hour 51 min ago (view)
Predictions on the Rule 5 draft this morning?
Hagsag 2 hours 10 min ago (view)
Very, very interesting Phil. Thanks for the post.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
What was the stated purpose of the 1953 Bonus Rule?
COMMISSIONER FORD FRICK: "We want the kind of bonus rule that will discourage the Majors from paying out big bonuses, and encourage the little fellows (he is referring here to the minor leagues) to sign these youngsters and then sell them to clubs of a higher classification."
crunch 8 hours 50 min ago (view)
g.cole - yanks - 9/324m
s.strasburg - nats - 7/245m
a.rendon - angels - 7/245m
boras has signed $814m of contracts for his guys this week. not bad.
crunch 8 hours 57 min ago (view)
still waiting for rich hill to happen over here...i promise to be totally not impressed or happy about it. not a tj guy, but he's injured as hell and not expected to show up until mid-season at best.
whoever they pick to give a few million dollars over a couple seasons to not pitch for the cubs in any of them, i welcome them.
on a serious tip, there are rumors of a minor league deal for b.morrow.
bradsbeard 9 hours 31 min ago (view)
Taijuan Walker is a good candidate.
cubbies.4ever 10 hours 57 min ago (view)
So who is left in the free Agent market that has had Tommy John surgery? That seems to be a Prerequisite for Theo. Cotton and Winkler both did adding to all the other signings of Theo. I would love to see how many people Theo has signed or drafted who has had TJS.
Charlie 19 hours 39 min ago (view)
I hope "isn't happening" was more like, "we'd love to continue to discuss this soon"--after extensions/trades of younger players are a bit more sorted.
Charlie 19 hours 42 min ago (view)
If only they had revenue from having recently won the World Series and a string of playoff appearances along with a new TV contract! Then they could really spend.
crunch 19 hours 59 min ago (view)
i wish this team was owned by billionaires rather than these...oh, nevermind.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 36 min ago (view)
Apparently Cubs were approached by Rizzo's agent about an extension. They told him it wasn't happening.
Cubs organization is performing a master class in how to burn good will among fans!
Arizona Phil 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
jdlym: The contract Brad Brach signed with the Mets includes a $850K base salary for 2020, a $1.25M club option for 2021, $400K in potential performance bonuses in 2020, potentially $2.25M in 2021 salary accelerators, and $500K in potential performance bonuses in 2021, so ordinarily the Cubs salary obligation to Brach would be the difference between Brach's new 2020 base salary ($850K) and what would have been his 2020 player option salary ($1.35M) if he hadn't been released by the Cubs.
jdrnym 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Hey AZPhil, when a player is released with money/years still remaining on his contract, does his next team *have* to give him the prorated major league minimum or can they offer more (meaning the original club owes less) to "outbid" other teams that may have had interest? I'm assuming that's what happened with Brad Brach, where the Mets signed him for 2020 at $850,000.
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
jeremy jeffress agrees.
Rob Richardson 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
It's high time if you ask me.