Royals Lay Lumber to Angels/Cubs at Surprise
Humberto Arteaga and Chris DeVito smacked back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the 5th and Brandon Downes (solo blast in the 7th) and Ben Johnson (two-run shot in the 8th) belted home runs as part of a 15-hit attack, as the Royals cruised to an 8-5 victory over the Angels/Cubs co-op team in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action Tuesday afternoon on Field #1 (AKA "George Brett Field") at the Kansas City Royals Player Development Complex in Surprise, AZ.
SP Joe Gatto hurled four innings of shutout ball and Andrew Daniel (two RBI singles) and Eddy Julio Martinez (RBI triple and RBI FC) knocked-in two runs a piece for the Angels/Cubs squad.
Here is the box score from the game (Cubs players highlighted in bold & underlined;
1. Donnie Dewees, CF-DH: 1-4 (F-8, E-8, 2B, 1-3, 2 R)
2a. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
2b. Cody Ramer, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. Ian Rice, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, L-1 DP)
3b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 1-1 (1B)
4. Matt Thaiss, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 1B, BB, 1B, R, PO)
5. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-4 (6-3, K, 3B, 5-4 FC, 2 RBI, PO)
6. Hutton Moyer, SS: 1-2 (1B, E-8, BB, BB, R, PO)
7. Jose Briceno, C: 1-4 (1B+E8, K, P-2, K, RBI)
8. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-4 (1-3, 6-3, F-7, 1-U)
9. Brendon Sanger, RF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 2B, 4-3)
10. Jahmai Jones, DH-CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, F-8)
1. D. J. Burt, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B+E5, BB, 5-3, R)
2a. Humberto Arteaga, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
2b. Marten Garparini, SS: 1-1 (1B)
3a. Samir Duenez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, CS)
3b. Chris DeVito, 1B: 1-2 (1B, K, 2 RBI)
4. Elier Hernandez, RF: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 3-U)
5a. Chase Vallot, C: 0-2 (K, E-5)
5b. Xavier Fernandez, C: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Anderson Miller, LF: 0-2 (3-U, K)
6b. Ben Johnson, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Vance Vizcaino, CF: 0-2 (6-3, L-9)
7b. Rudy Martin, CF: 0-1 (BB, K)
8a. Wander Franco, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8b. Emmanuel Rivero, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Angelo Castellano, DH #2: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, P-3)
10a. Brandon Downes, DH #3: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, 2 R, RBI)
10b. Meibrys Viloria, PH: 1-1 (3B, R)
NOTE: Castellano and Viloria switched slots fourth time thru batting order
11. Cheslor Cuthbert, 2B: NO AB - PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
1. Joe Gatto: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/1 GO/AO, 64 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Greg Belton: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Nathaniel Bertness: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Samil de los Santos: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 2/0 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Andrew Vinson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
1. Scott Blewett: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Jonathan Dziedzic: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 50 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Andrew Edwards: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Corey Ray: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Franco Terrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Andrew Daniel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
ROYALS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
3. CF Vance Vizcaino: E-8 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jose Briceno: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
ROYALS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Chase Vallot: 1 PO
2. Xavier Fernandez: 1 PO
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. LF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner 7-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF
2. RF Jahmai Jones - threw out baserunner 9-2 attempting to score from 1st base on two-out single to RF on 3-2 pitch
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Cubster 10 hours 31 min ago (view)
IMPOTUS 45: "ANYBODY WHO WANTS A TEST CAN GET A TEST"
then said quietly by his elves: although it can take up to 1-2 days (or two tanks of gas) to get through test lines and then 7-14 days to get results.
crunch 10 hours 55 min ago (view)
5 cubs players + d.ross didn't work out with the team today because their tests were dealyed. 4 players + d.ross later came back negative and 1 test will have to be done again because it was compromised during transport and invalidated.
...turns out the compromised test was not a player, but a non-player/non-ross Tier 1 employee. neat.
crunch 13 hours 16 min ago (view)
v.caratini will continue to be darvish's preferred catcher this season.
crunch 13 hours 16 min ago (view)
j.hicks (STL) opts out. he's a T1 diabetic currently rehabbing from TJ. he was expected to return in august.
JustSayin' 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
I think what your saying applies to all franchises in all big-time team sports. The virus is asymptomatic in many carriers. The national positive test % rate is mid/high single digits. If your pro sports franchise does 3-4 x better than that, it still means some players and coaches will test positive and things will grind to a partial or complete halt. At least baseball didn't try to "bubble" in AZ and FL, which are looking like two of the worst (and worst-led) states in which to be located at the currrent stage of the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
rizzo took BP and did some field work today. also, almora is good to go...he ran into a wall on friday and got a little banged up.
Cubster 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Aroldis Chapman is now Covid positive with mild symptoms
crunch 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
the COVID-Division should be fun.
teams from TX, AZ, CA, WA, and CO exclusively playing each other... CO is all "wtf, really?"
Cubster 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
...and so it goes (per Roto): Astros general manager James Click wrote in a statement that a member of the staff "was potentially exposed to a COVID-positive individual outside the organization.” The team is working with MLB and team doctors on testing protocol and cleaning before resuming workouts.
Does the visiting team bring a Covid positive bio-weapon to the player's parking lot?
Charlie 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
I've been wondering how this would proceed. Since teams will have to figure out how existing contracts will be paid, I thought there was a *chance* they would proceed with free agency as usual and plan for payment under potential shortened seasons would just be figured out in negotiations with the MLBPA. But that was probably an overly optimistic thought.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
Meanwhile Theo shoots down any potential of extension talks. I get that it's a crazy time financially in baseball, but it's really gonna suck when all these players leave after 21 and 22.
Cubster 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
WSox Michael Kopech has opted out of 2020. I didn't see a disclosed reason yet but he is recovering from TJ S
crunch 3 days 15 hours ago (view)
buster posey (SF) opting out of 2020...recently adopted twin daughters who were born premature.
Cubster 4 days 19 hours ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 5 days 8 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 5 days 11 hours ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.